Sony unlocks PS4's 7th Processing Core for developers.

On Jan 2015, Microsoft unlocked it's Xbox One's 7th processing core for more performance to use and it meant losing a few features including voice commands and disabling Kinect functionality.

Now that Sony has rolled out a new Software Development Kit (SDK) to developers to unlock that 7th processor core in PS4.

silver_carbon_part_and_full.jpg?v=139920

Source: GEEK.

Intel Core i3 2100 @ 3.10GHz - Intel Stock Cooler - Zotac Geforce GT 610 2GB Synergy Edition

Intel DH61WW - Corsair® Value Select 4GBx1 DDR3 1600 MHz - Antec BP-300P PSU

WD Green 1TB - Seagate 2.5" HDD 1TB - Seagate Barracuda 500GB - Antec X1 E.

More performance, hooray.

Whether it'll still beat equivalently priced PCs, we'll have to see. My prediction? No.

Project White Lightning (My ITX Gaming PC): Core i5-4690K | CRYORIG H5 Ultimate | ASUS Maximus VII Impact | HyperX Savage 2x8GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Black 1TB | Sapphire RX 480 8GB NITRO+ OC | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ITX | Corsair AX760 | LG 29UM67 | CM Storm Quickfire Ultimate | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | HyperX Cloud II | Logitech Z333

Benchmark Results: 3DMark Firestrike: 10,528 | SteamVR VR Ready (avg. quality 7.1) | VRMark 7,004 (VR Ready)

Other systems I've built:

Core i3-6100 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI H110M ECO | Corsair Vengeance LPX 1x8GB DDR4  | ADATA SP550 120GB | Seagate 500GB | EVGA ACX 2.0 GTX 1050 Ti | Fractal Design Core 1500 | Corsair CX450M

Core i5-4590 | Intel Stock Cooler | Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI | HyperX Savage 2x4GB DDR3 | Seagate 500GB | Intel Integrated HD Graphics | Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 | be quiet! Pure Power L8 350W

I am not a professional. I am not an expert. I am just a smartass. Don't try and blame me if you break something when acting upon my advice.

...why are you still reading this?

1080P? or still the lower resolution crap?

CPU     4790K  4.7GHz @ 1.17 volts

MOBO  Asus Z97-K

GPU     980ti Strix

RAM    16GB G.Skill

Whether it'll still beat equivalently priced PCs, we'll have to see. My prediction? No.

Yep.. No.  :P

Intel Core i3 2100 @ 3.10GHz - Intel Stock Cooler - Zotac Geforce GT 610 2GB Synergy Edition

They unlocked the 7th core of the potatosole? Why not all 8 cores?

DAC/AMPs:

Klipsch Heritage Headphone Amplifier

Headphones: Klipsch Heritage HP-3 Walnut, Meze 109 Pro, Beyerdynamic Amiron Home, Amiron Wireless Copper, Tygr 300R, DT880 600ohm Manufaktur, T90, Fidelio X2HR

CPU: Intel 4770, GPU: Asus RTX3080 TUF Gaming OC, Mobo: MSI Z87-G45, RAM: DDR3 16GB G.Skill, PC Case: Fractal Design R4 Black non-iglass, Monitor: BenQ GW2280

They probably have 1 core always free for the home screen feature or whatever, probably also for messages, etc.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

For bg processes.

1080P? or still the lower resolution crap?

Usually, resolution only affects the gpu, so I wouldn't expect a change there.

great. Probably will have laggy menu's like ps3 did in game. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

Like 1 core is gunna make ANY real differences that You or I will see....

A game is gunna come out.. AND....

Uses 6 cores, 2 dormant - locked to 30fps

Uses 7 cores, 1 dormant - locked to 30fps

If it heightens the pesky MIN-FPS values then Sweet!, but thats still IMO a lacking GPU power issue, not entirely a CPU given FPS drop. Again.. IMO.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

great. Probably will have laggy menu's like ps3 did in game. 

^this. I would prefer to have an upscaled 900p image but have a smooth user experience (that's why I bought it for, god damn it!) rather than have slightly better graphics or 35-40 instead of 30 fps.

“I like being alone. I have control over my own shit. Therefore, in order to win me over, your presence has to feel better than my solitude. You're not competing with another person, you are competing with my comfort zones.”  - portfolio - twitter - instagram - youtube

I doubt the CPU is the limiting factor in most games.

Like others have mentioned this makes me interested in what this will do to the background interfaces and such.

I haven't played a ton of games on my PS4 but the ones I have played allowed me to smoothly and seamlessly go to the main menu, set up party chat and what other functions I needed to while the game was still running.

I'm not sure I'd rather have a slight performance boost in games but have to trade the smoother background use that I've had so far.

The PS3 was agonizingly slow when you'd try to use the background menu while playing a game.

Usually, resolution only affects the gpu, so I wouldn't expect a change there.

not necessarily, it depends on where the bottleneck is.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Like others have mentioned this makes me interested in what this will do to the background interfaces and such.

I haven't played a ton of games on my PS4 but the ones I have played allowed me to smoothly and seamlessly go to the main menu, set up party chat and what other functions I needed to while the game was still running.

I'm not sure I'd rather have a slight performance boost in games but have to trade the smoother background use that I've had so far.

The PS3 was agonizingly slow when you'd try to use the background menu while playing a game.

they're just desperate to get this generation to 5-6 years of relevance. they aren't concerned about keeping the experience smooth anymore.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

hm... whether or not this increasing the gap consoles have on similarly priced PCs I doubt it. But the PS4 is already insane value.

Doubt it though it will help it against equivalently priced PCs however it will help it close the gap between it and the Xbox one in terms of CPU power. Hopefully this means that we won't run into situations like in AC Unity where the PS4 was severely bottlenecked by it's CPU struggling to cope with the crowd simulation.

Data Scientist - MSc in Advanced CS, B.Eng in Computer Engineering

Yeahh! 

#consolemasterrace

JK

3 tips to have a good time on the LTT forums | 1. When you reply to someone please quote them | 2. Please follow your threads | 3. Follow the C.o.C 

If you follow these 3 tips you should have a blast.

i'm rather proud of this for some reason. http://imgur.com/6ttS5XZ

They probably have 1 core always free for the home screen feature or whatever, probably also for messages, etc.

the PS4 has a ARM Co-processor dealing with minor system tasks... the last core is prolly just for core OS alone...

messaging can easily be done by the ARM core

Is that a skin or something on the ps4 in the pic or do they look like that from the factory?

Longboarders/ skaters message me!

not necessarily, it depends on where the bottleneck is.

It doesn't depend where the bottleneck is, resolution always puts the stress on the gpu alone, the cpu doesn't see a difference. Let's say you were already cpu bottlenecked at 1080p, lowering the resolution would not give you more fps. On the other hand, if you were bottlenecked by the gpu, lowering the resolution would help you with fps.

I predict new consoles by 2018.

Since it's already struggling

Just remember: Random people on the internet ALWAYS know more than professionals, when someone's lying, AND can predict the future.

i7 9700K (5.2Ghz @1.2V); MSI Z390 Gaming Edge AC; Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16GB 3200 CAS 16; H100i RGB Platinum; Samsung 970 Evo 1TB; Samsung 850 Evo 500GB; WD Black 3 TB; Phanteks 350x; Corsair RM19750w.

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 4K 9750H GTX 1650 16GB Ram 256GB SSD

Spoiler

sex hahaha

And this means that customers will see benefits from this, right?

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

Is that a skin or something on the ps4 in the pic or do they look like that from the factory?

Got it from a Google Search. Looks like a Carbon fiber skin.

And this means that customers will see benefits from this, right?

Probably I guess. But nothing much.