AMD Releasing Public Mantle SDK This Year, Encourages Nvidia and Intel to Use it... For Free.

TERAFLOP

AMD's Gaming Scientist (LOVE that job title) Richard Huddy did a little presentation at PDXLAN just a few days ago. He confirmed that AMD will be releasing a public Mantle SDK this year. He also said that there will not be any associated licensing fees or any sort of restriction established by AMD.

Intel and Nvidia are allowed, in fact encouraged to use Mantle. The public SDK according to Huddy enables both companies to write their own Mantle drivers. Which would allow their respective hardware to run Mantle on Mantle enabled games. Yoohoo !

AMD-Richard-Huddy-Presentation-at-PDXLAN

There are currently over 100 dev teams on board with Mantle which is double the number compared to 5 months ago, over 20 games out or in the works with Mantle support and 4 game engines with native mantle support.

For more details you can check out the original article here.

This would be great... in a perfect world.In ours only intel might do something with it,i think there was already some old talk between intel-amd for mantle use,but screw nvidia i cant stand their business atitude,they make great overpriced products nothing to argue there but they just want it all cash,give us gamers something more,make physx open once and for all the games today still suck so much barely any decent physics in them and it uses guess what cpu which could make use of mantle too.

Good news i guess hopefully something happens its great work on mantle stuff to just let it waste when its there for free?

This would be great... in a perfect world.In ours only intel might do something with it,i think there was already some old talk between intel-amd for mantle use,but screw nvidia i cant stand their business atitude,they make great overpriced products nothing to argue there but they just want it all cash,give us gamers something more,make physx open once and for all the games today still suck so much barely any decent physics in them and it uses guess what cpu which could make use of mantle too.

Good news i guess hopefully something happens its great work on mantle stuff to just let it waste when its there for free?

AMD is not some saint. AMD is just about the money as NVIDIA and Intel are.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

This would be great... in a perfect world.In ours only intel might do something with it,i think there was already some old talk between intel-amd for mantle use

i remember intel showing some interest before hopefully they continue and maybe nvidia does somehting with it aswell

The article did mention this, I think it was back in April that Intel approached AMD about Mantle.

AMD is not some saint. AMD is just about the money as NVIDIA and Intel are.

Actions speak louder than words. AMD has always done things that benefited the entire industry instead of just themselves. Mantle, FreeSync and OpenCL are great examples of this. Nvidia on the other hand likes to keep things very much locked down and proprietary even if it's bad for their users or the industry as a whole.

doubt nvidia would even touch it

maybe just intel and other soc manufacturers

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

i hope mantle gets used by everyone, it will make the performance in games a lot better

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

Hopefully nvidia tags on and amd users get games that work better with mantle like nvidia users get games that work better with physx

let's be honest. It would not be smart of nvidia to use it. It's an API which their main competitor has direct control of. Not saying AMD would intentionally sabotage them But Why should nvidia take that risk. I know it's not exactly the same But it's similar to the situation AMD is in having to run gameworks code which is controlled by nvidia.

let's be honest. It would not be smart of nvidia to use it. It's an API which their main competitor has direct control of. Not saying AMD would intentionally sabotage them But Why should nvidia take that risk. I know it's not exactly the same But it's similar to the situation AMD is in having to run gameworks code which is controlled by nvidia.

If they release a public SDK how could it harm nvidia? they can freely do what they want with it

This seems a really positive thing for AMD to do, and hopefully will mean less disparity between the brands and might help push gaming performance further forward, especially for lower end setups

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Let's remind ourselves here for moment of who has actually been sabotaging the performance of their competitor's product.... hint it's not AMD.

http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/173511-nvidias-gameworks-program-usurps-power-from-developers-end-users-and-amd

CPU : i5 3570K @ 4.5Ghz. GPU : MSI Lightning GTX 770 @ 1300mhz. 16GB 1600mhz RAM

If they release a public SDK how could it harm nvidia? they can freely do what they want with it

This seems a really positive thing for AMD to do, and hopefully will mean less disparity between the brands and might help push gaming performance further forward, especially for lower end setups

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate what AMD does to push the industry forward with stuff like this.

But what I thought was that yes the public SDK means that anybody could use it... but the API is still controlled by AMD. So why Nvidia would put themselves in that situation? AMD will have prior knowledge and total control of all future directions and revisions.

Let's remind ourselves here for moment of who has actually been sabotaging the performance of their competitor's product.... hint it's not AMD.

http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/173511-nvidias-gameworks-program-usurps-power-from-developers-end-users-and-amd

I know that, all I said was Nvidia would not (understandably) willingly put themselves in a situation where they are writing to an API controlled by their competitor. I am not saying that AMD would screw them over.

Well less than a month and a half left on this year so if it does happen, then Mantle just might have a chance to get some adoption. Another big plus would be if they manage a Linux version also within the next 3 months or so to get enough track on Linux before DX12 comes

Of course seeying how Satya Nadella has a completely new idea for MS he might just release DX12 for free as well and give a Linux version: He already released .net It looks like Windows might become very cheap an optional and Linux might truly compete, let's hope mantle also comes along.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate what AMD does to push the industry forward with stuff like this.

But what I thought was that yes the public SDK means that anybody could use it... but the API is still controlled by AMD. So why Nvidia would put themselves in that situation? AMD will have prior knowledge and total control of all future directions and revisions.

I know that, all I said was Nvidia would not (understandably) willingly put themselves in a situation where they are writing to an API controlled by their competitor. I am not saying that AMD would screw them over.

? intel and amd are competitors and intel will probably use mantle

? intel and amd are competitors and intel will probably use mantle

Intel asked for access, they did not confirm that will use it.

Obviously the graphics guys at Intel would be interested to see what makes it tick, whether they will adopt it is a different story.

All companies only do things to serve their bottom line, anyone who thinks otherwise is a sucker and fallen prey to marketing BS.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Now imagine mantle + dx12 :333

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

Now imagine mantle + dx12 :333

It's more like DX12 = DX11.3 + "big Mantle inspiration"... I won't say just Mantle because people will call me out for it, in a mad way.

All companies only do things to serve their bottom line, anyone who thinks otherwise is a sucker and fallen prey to marketing BS.

It's funny how people think AMD is doing this for the good of the industry. AMD only cares for the good of the industry when it increases their bottom line. They aren't saints, they are sharks. And as a company they are pretty shitty sharks given how much they earn.

Didn't they already give up Mantle to Kronos? Why would Nvidia, or anyone, need AMD now? They don't. This is PR posturing more than anything.

AMD is doing all these cheap shots. literally. Cheap cards, free sync, now free SDK

EDIT: Love seeing all the complaints about this being a marketing/PR stunt and what not. I don't think they truly care about the PR, because there will always be fanboys, skeptics, and such. Stop complaining about FREE

AMD is doing all these cheap shots. literally. Cheap cards, free sync, now free SDK

EDIT: Love seeing all the complaints about this being a marketing/PR stunt and what not. I don't think they truly care about the PR, because there will always be fanboys, skeptics, and such. Stop complaining about FREE

AMD needed 1 year to drop 290X price from 500$ to 370$ but how many bought while it was overpriced?

Show me where is free FreeSync? You won't update firmware to enable FreeSync you will have to buy new monitor. I love how AMD calling it free to industry and every fanboy imagining he's industry and will get everything for free.

Nvidia has plenty of free SDK

And why everyone is saying that DX12 and new OpenGL is Mantle? It's like say that VP9 is H.265 (x265).