October 3, 2014 - The WAN Show Document

LinusTech

Crowd-sourced table of contents: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1SFdsFIYpeoeKNUqtic9LPgesVuJW533E8M07FizQDYM/edit?usp=sharing

News

Windows 10 - New Name, Technical Preview Available

Source 1: linustechtips.com OP: GoodBytes

Source 2:

Naming info: linustechtips.com

Leaked video: linustechtips.com

• named it Windows 10 because they are claiming it isn’t just an incremental improvement over 81

• in their press conference they trolled by saying Windows 9 would be called “Windows One”

• confirmed that it will be shipping “later in the year” (2015)

• can create virtual desktops

• use Cortana to complete tasks

• technical preview is a very early build of Windows 10

• GUI far from done, features are incomplete, unpolished, missing animations

• purpose of the technical preview is user feedback

• features a dedicated feedback button

• a discussion forum for Windows 10 will be created

• data will be collected including heatmaps (where people click) and what features people use most

• they claim no personal data will be compiled/stored

Information about the Tesla Model D Coming soon

Source 1: linustechtips.com OP: Heisenbleurgh

Source 2: twitter.com

• coming October 9

• Elon Musk unveiled it will be information about “the D and something else”

• many entertaining responses about “the D” wording

• Elon commented: twitter.com

• no longer called the Model E due to conflict with Ford

Elon Musk says that next year’s Teslas will be able to self-drive 90% of the time

Source 1: linustechtips.com OP: shermantanker

Source 2: theverge.com

• Elon Musk refers to the self-driving mode as “autopilot”

• claims it is “basically just months away from retail”

• most automakers have speculated 2020 as a reasonable year for release of self-driving cars

• GM promised a “hands-free” mode for some 2017 models

• Audi is promoting “piloted driving” features

• highway driving is much easier for self-driving cars

• the 90% estimate is speculated to be accounting for some traffic rats nests/obstacle-filled surface streets

• this may be the “something else” he mentioned in his Tweet about “the D”

• Tesla is also expected to release an all-wheel drive version of the Model S, also a possibility of the “something else”

• Model X said to be coming early 2015

GUEST SEGMENT

GTX 980 and 970 performance comparison

GTX 980 and 970 review (impressions)

ROG Swift and general G-Sync

Dangerous USB Firmware Hack discovered - code published

Source 1: linustechtips.com OP: Mike_The_B0ss

Source 2: theverge.com

• in July, Karsten Nohl and Jakob Lell, two researchers, announced that they found a critical security flaw that they called BadUSB

• allows attackers to smuggle malware on the devices effectively undetected

• didn’t seem to be a clear fix for the attack

• bad code resided in USB firmware, so it was hard to protect against

• they didn’t publish the code, so the industry had time to prepare for a world where USB is dangerous

• that is no longer the case

• Adam Caudill and Brandon Wilson announced that they had reverse-engineered BadUSB, but didn’t share Nohl and Lell’s opinion that the industry should be given time to prepare

• they published the code on GitHub

• demonstrated various uses for it including an attack that takes over a user’s keyboard input and turns control over to the attacker

• motive for release was to put pressure on manufacturers, according to Caudill

• he said “If the only people who can do this are those with significant budgets, the manufacturers will never do anything about it. You have to prove to the world that it’s practical, that anyone can do it.”

• net effect is unlikely to be a push for USB security

• as long as attackers can reprogram USB firmware, attacks like this will be a serious threat

• only way to fix the vulnerability is a new layer of security around firmware

• requires a full update to the USB standard, means years of insecurity

• likely that we will be living with this issue for a long time

• long story short - don’t use USB devices if you don’t know where they came from (ie. if you can’t track them from the manufacturer’s facility all the way to your USB port)

Samsung to start developing AMD’s 14nm chips by 2015

Source 1: linustechtips.com OP: TechFan@ic

Source 2: techreport.com

• AMD has relied on two companies to manufacture its chips in the past: GlobalFoundries and TSMC

• according to ZDNet, AMD may soon add Samsung to that list

• the article names AMD as one of Samsung’s manufacturing clients

• “Samsung is expected to start producing application processors (APs) for clients such as Apple, Qualcomm, and AMD, using its 14-nanometre process around the end of the year.”

• it was last heard that GlobalFoundries was going to license Samsung’s 15nm FinFET fab process

• this is the first news of AMD tapping Samsung as a foundry partner directly

• Cyril Kowaliski has reached out to AMD, but hasn’t received a response from them as of yet

17000 Mac Botnet Discovered

Source 1: linustechtips.com OP: Svinsparbriivu

Source 2: gizmodo.com

• Mac users are the target of malware that will connect their computer to a botnet

• backdoor called “Mac.BackDoor.iWorm”

• gains access to Macs and uses Reddit to connect the hacked computer with a command server

• once infected, the iWorm uses Reddit’s search function to hunt down posts made by the hackers

• posts are on a Minecraft subreddit

• they provide server addresses, and the software uses Reddit posts as a guide to connect to the botnet

• not clear yet how they infect the Mac to begin with

• it’s estimated that most of the Macs are in the US

• no evidence that any of the estimated 17,658 affected Macs are actively getting used

• may be quietly growing the network until it’s large enough to execute something big

SecureDrives self-destructing SSDs

Source 1: linustechtips.com OP: werto165

Source 2: gizmodo.com

• GSM-equipped SSD drivs

• can remotely physically self-destruct

• guarantees the utmost security and privacy

• when you realize your drive or laptop has gone missing, send a pre-defined text message to its unique cellular number

• drive will be be immediately destroyed

• features built-in mechanisms that physiclly destory the flash chips inside, making the data completely unrecoverable

• include other failsafes for protecting your data

• can also be programmed to automatically self-destruct when disconnected from a SATAII connector, when the battery is low and someone is trying to circumvent the fail-safe mechanisms,when it’s been shielded from a GSM signal for a set period of time, and even after a pre-determined series of finger taps detected through a motion sensor

• all works on topo of 256-bit AES CBC hardware encryption protecting the actual data

• cost a lot more than your standard SSD

• have to pay for the monthly worldwide GSM service

• that being said, this is one of the most well protected personal storage devices on the market

Nexus 6 specs leaked

Source 1: linustechtips.com OP: TopWargamer

Source 2: androidpolice.com

• appearance is essentially a 5.9” version of the Moto X

• 3200+ mAh battery

• QHD display (496 DPI)

• dual front-facing speakers

• aluminum frame

• 13MP camera with optical image stabilization

• dual-flash ring configuration

• 2MP front-facing camera

• no information available about the type of processor or amount of RAM it will feature

• no cost or release date information available, though a Q4 release is speculated as 4 of the 5 Nexus phones have been released in Q4

Most Project ARA Modules will be hot-swappable and have a Google Play-like store

Source 1: linustechtips.com OP: TopWargamer

Source 2: technobuffalo.com

• battery can be hot-swapped

• can replace battery on the fly without turning the phone off thanks to a tiny reserve in the device

• hot-swap camera sensors, memory, storage, possibly other components aside from the CPU and the display

• this is all thanks to a modified version of Android L from the non-profit organization, Linaro, the company behind Project Ara

• Paul Eremenko, project director of Project Ara, said that when Ara finally launches, he envisions “a Google Play-type store for Ara parts, so you’ll have no shortage of swappable options when the project is available to consumers.”

•  

New patch substantially helps Moto 360 battery life

Source 1: linustechtips.com OP: Ren

Source 2: droid-life.com

• software update has done wonders for its battery life

• users have been experiencing an increase in battery life of 25-35% while in Ambient mode since the update last weekend

• “many” are now reporting 2-day battery life

• this is all anecdotal evidence - no solid tests of actual battery life improvement available yet

• enough to buy in?

Pebble drops prices

Source 1: linustechtips.com OP: rafbanaan

Source 2: macrumors.com

• reducing prices on their standard to 99 USD

• reducing prices on the steel to 199 USD

• it seems that these price drops are only for the US

• poking fun at Apple employees, Moto 360, and Galaxy Gear on their website getpebble.com

• picture of the smiling Pebble Standard saying “Breathe, Jony. It’s just a watch.” referring to Jony Ive, Apple employee

• “Why measure battery life in days? ‘Cuz we can.”

Swiftech launches the H240X

Source 1: linustechtips.com OP: worldwin

Source 2: swiftech.com

• features a dual 140mm copper radiator and 140mm fans

• “enthusiast grade” pump and water-block

• remains entirely focused on low to inaudible operating noise

• exxtreme thermal performance

• engineered to appeal to broad spectrum of performance oriented users

• casual to hard-core enthusiasts

• shipped ready for plug-and-play installation, maintenance free during its warranty period

• fully customizable

• easily replaceable tubing and fittings

• can support additional components like graphics cards and/or extra radiators

• utilizes MCR-X20 Drive series of radiators

• pump is fully integrated into the radiator

• backlit reservoir with visibble coolant level

• Apogee XL waterblock

Facebook Real Name Policy

Source 1: linustechtips.com OP: Megazero

Source 2: online.wsj.com

• changed its treatment of people using pseudonyms on the social network following an uproar over its crackdown on some pseudonyms used by drag queens

• product chief Christopher Cox apologized in a post Wednesday to those affected by a recent sweep

• apparently hundreds of drag queens were flagged for violating Facebook’s “real-name” policy

• those affected will be able to use their stage names on Facebook going forward

• the real name policy is in place as knowing the real identities of its users has been central to Facebook’s business model

• involves building detailed profiles of people so it can send them targeted advertisements based on their personalities

• in the past, Facebook has aggressively pursued those it believes aren’t using their real names (their name as it would appear on a credit card)

• they have even forced political dissidents living under authoritarian regimes to use their real names, a move which has been criticized by human-rights advocates

• Mr. Cox’s post suggest they may be easing up on the real name policy

• he said “Our policy has never been to require everyone on Facebook to use their legal name. There’s lots of room for improvement in the reporting and enforcement mechanisms, tools for understanding who’s real and who’s not, and the customer service for anyone who’s affected.”

• unclear whether their softer stance on names will apply to a more wide variety of people at this point

Facebook developing giant unmanned planes to fly for months at a time

Source 1: linustechtips.com OP: Ethnod

Source 2: bbc.co.uk

• goal is to make the internet available to two-thirds of the world’s population who can’t currently get online

• claim expanding internet access would create another 140 million jobs

• could help lift 160 million people out of poverty and reduce childhood mortality

• Yael Maguire, Facebook’s Connectivity Lab’s Engineering Director said they want to send “unmanned planes roughly the size of a commercial aircraft, like a 747… above the weather, above all airspace.”

• “above the weather” is between 60,000 and 90,000 feet, well above the altitude of most planes

• working on a very light prototype that is the length of “about six or seven Priuses, but the weight of four of the tires of a Prius.”

• these drones would continuously provide wi-fi coverage and would be powered by the sun

• the aircraft could be tested in the US as early as next year, although there are strict rules around unmanned aircraft that could hinder the process

• Google is also looking at balloons to bring internet access to remote parts of the world

Kano ships first batch of “Learn-To-Code” computer kits to backers

Source 1: linustechtips.com OP: dayo26

Source 2: techcrunch.com

• raised $1.5 million on Kickstarter

• 18,000 kits have been shipped

• adds a step-by-step “hand-holding” layer atop the Raspberry Pi single-board microcomputer

• makes hacking around with code and learning about computational thinking child’s play

• shipped the first batch of crowdfunded orders and pre-orders

• early bird kits (about 1000) have arrived already, general release will be arriving shortly

• also brought on a new hire, Thomas Enraght-Moony, former CEO of Match.com, as Chief Operating Officer

• “He has a deep understanding of how, not only to make phyiscal products but also to finance it - which is quite tricky for any new business, especially with a business that is making a product with so many different components and so much complexity driving towards an end goal of simplicity” said Alex Klein, Kano co-founder

• Tom will be helping ramp up production for the general market

• majority of sales ahve gone to individuals, though some have been purchased by educational institutions like Pearson

• more info about Kano (Linus ordered one, should have some info)

• next for Kano Computing is to keep momentum up, then get into modular hardware - screen, battery, sensors, lights, robotics

New California law limits schools’ ability to monitor their students through social media

Source 1: linustechtips.com OP: Tech_Dreamer

Source 2: engadget.com

• Governor Jerry Brown signed the bill earlier this week

• school officials are now required to notify parents when a school is peering at their kids’ online activity

• schools have to delete collected social media posts within a year of the student leaving the school or on their 18th birthday

• law comes as a response to Glendale Unified school district hiring an outside firm to monitor Twitter, Facebook, and instagram feeds in 2013

• they did not inform students or parents of this

• “I believe that as the world changes and this type of monitoring becomes more commonplace, legislation like this is critical to protecting the privacy of our children,” said California State Assemblyman Mike Gatto

•  

EA fixing Battlefield 4 and Sims 4 in patches - no charge to users

Source 1: linustechtips.com Sims 4 OP: Johners

Source 2: linustechtips.com BF4 Update OP: JasonRoGo

Source 3: battlelog.battlefield.com

• adding swimming pools, ghosts and Star Wars themed content, and new career paths to the Sims 4

• will be added in 3 content patches

• all expected to be released before the end of the year

• just fixed a ton of issues with BF4 in an update on all platforms

• they claim they are trying to put gamers first (including PC gamers) - making more progress towards that than Ubisoft has

• a nice step back onto the right track for a company that had lost touch with the gaming community for the past few years

Edited by looney
Fixed for dark theme..... again.....

Thanks Linus, I slept in so I wasn't able to watch it unfortunately :(

CPU: Intel Core i5 4460 | GPU: XFX r9 280x DD BLACK OC EDITION | RAM: 8gb Kingston HyperX Fury 1600Mhz | Mobo: Gigabyte h97n-WIFI | PSU: EVGA 600B | Case: Cooler Master Elite 120 | Cooler: Stock intel | SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 120gb | Storage: WD 150 gb

CPU: Intel Core i7 4710MQ | GPU: NVIDIA Geforce GTX 850M | RAM: 8gb Corsair 1600Mhz | Mobo: Metabox WA50SJ Motherboard | Case: Metabox WA50SJ case | Cooler: Stock | SSD: Sandisk 256gb

:wub:  :wub:  :wub: 

Best purchase this year, bcuz forza

Yay, I'm curious to see what we missed and how the guest mysteriously disappeared 

-Turkey with a vengeance 

You didn't miss anything, it cut out 5 times.

lol, typical WAN Show

CPU: Intel Core i5 4460 | GPU: XFX r9 280x DD BLACK OC EDITION | RAM: 8gb Kingston HyperX Fury 1600Mhz | Mobo: Gigabyte h97n-WIFI | PSU: EVGA 600B | Case: Cooler Master Elite 120 | Cooler: Stock intel | SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 120gb | Storage: WD 150 gb

CPU: Intel Core i7 4710MQ | GPU: NVIDIA Geforce GTX 850M | RAM: 8gb Corsair 1600Mhz | Mobo: Metabox WA50SJ Motherboard | Case: Metabox WA50SJ case | Cooler: Stock | SSD: Sandisk 256gb

:wub:  :wub:  :wub: 

Best purchase this year, bcuz forza

To comment on the moto 360: I bought one after I heard the battery life was improved through a post-buy update but wanted to see the difference myself. I am a somewhat heavy user, with somewhere around 200 text/emails per day. I had about 15% left at the end of my work day (taking it off the base at 100% near 9AM). That is noticeably improved from the 15ish percent I had left at my lunch break before the update.

Wow! you guys picked one of my posts! :)Thank you Linus & thanks LMG team in charge...

PS: is the video down for anyone else, it's not working 4 me  ... <_<

Details separate people.

Wow! you guys picked one of my posts! :)Thank you Linus & thanks LMG team in charge...

Give it  a few min to process

Linus Sebastian said:

The stand is indeed made of metal but I wouldn't drive my car over a bridge made of it.

https://youtu.be/X5YXWqhL9ik?t=552

Video unavailable for me as well..........

You can't be serious.  Hyperthreading is a market joke?

What's with the weird cut on minute 41:00? It completely cuts off the interview!

CPU: AMD R5 5600x | Mainboard: MSI MAG B550m Mortar Wifi | RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix 3200 Rev E | GPU: MSI RTX 2070 Armor | Case: Xigmatek Aquila | PSU: Corsair RM650i | SSDs: Crucial BX300 120GB | Samsung 840 EVO 120GB | Crucial m500 120GB | HDDs: 2x Seagate Barracuda 4TB | CPU Cooler: Scythe Fuma 2 | Casefans: Bitfenix Spectre LED red 200mm (Intake), Bequiet Pure Wings 2 140mm (Exhaust) | OS: Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit

What's with the weird cut on minute 41:00? It completely cuts off the interview!

I noticed that too twice.. Weird. 

@LinusTech Shame my topic didn't get mentioned on wan show was looking forward to it. Oh well I'll try again some day.

CPU: Intel 3570 GPUs: Nvidia GTX 660Ti Case: Fractal design Define R4  Storage: 1TB WD Caviar Black & 240GB Hyper X 3k SSD Sound: Custom One Pros Keyboard: Ducky Shine 4 Mouse: Logitech G500

Where the guest segment cuts out leaves me feeling a bit paranoid.

Where does the interview with the guy from tech report start again?

please help me.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

@LinusTech is there some way of recording the show locally, it would make the youtube version of the show much smoother.

CPU: Intel 3570 GPUs: Nvidia GTX 660Ti Case: Fractal design Define R4  Storage: 1TB WD Caviar Black & 240GB Hyper X 3k SSD Sound: Custom One Pros Keyboard: Ducky Shine 4 Mouse: Logitech G500

I wonder if when they go Germany and see the cherry MX switches; if they would have a video kinda like a "How it's Made" episode. :P

- Fresher than a fruit salad.

The Mac botnet virus is indeed a trojan.

"You have got to be the biggest asshole on this forum..."

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

you should do a weekly connection with this guy, the guest, amazing Scott Wasson and BUM! throwed you off the wall when been him  the first one saying in your videos that ITS TOO EARLY TO GO 4K xD

Seriously, he is an Enciclopedia.

pd: hire me