California Limits Schools Social Media Monitoring

Nice one cali.. B)

stop-online-spying-web.jpg

School officials in california are now required to be a little more transparent when "looking into" students online activity, a law passed by Governor Jerry Brown requires school authorities let the kids parents know when they are snooping into their kids online activity.

More over Schools should delete social media posts within a year after the student has left the institution or after their 18th birthday,

"I believe that as the world changes and this type of monitoring becomes more commonplace, legislation like this is critical to protecting the privacy of our children,"

- Mike Gatto

The law comes in response to the Glendale Unified school district hiring an outside firm to monitor Twitter, Facebook and Instagram feeds in 2013 without informing students or their parents that they were being watched.

Pretty good news indeed, Leave your thoughts & rants& trolling down below

http://www.engadget.com/2014/10/01/california-law-student-social-media/

Details separate people.

good idea as i have had similar problems

Please follow your topics guys, it's very important! CoC F.A.Q  Please use the corresponding PC part picker link for your country USA, UK, Canada, AustraliaSpain, Italy, New Zealand and Germany

also if you find anyone with this handle in games its most likely me so say hi

It's good but it doesn't stop the school from looking at history, just they have to inform them.

Spoiler

Corsair 400C- Intel i7 6700- Gigabyte Gaming 6- GTX 1080 Founders Ed. - Intel 530 120GB + 2xWD 1TB + Adata 610 256GB- 16GB 2400MHz G.Skill- Evga G2 650 PSU- Corsair H110- ASUS PB278Q- Dell u2412m- Logitech G710+ - Logitech g700 - Sennheiser PC350 SE/598se

Is it just me or is Grammar slowly becoming extinct on LTT? 

I would actually challenge schools to try and spy on me. They would never think of looking for me on websites I actually use let along figuring out what I go by.

I was expelled from my Colorado high school ten years ago for some LiveJournal posts I made, so this news comes as a breath of fresh air.

Intel Core i7-5930K | Noctua NH-D15S | ASUS X99-M WS | 32GB (4 x 8GB) G.Skill Ripjaws V 2666MHz | MSI GeForce GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6G | Samsung 850 Pro 512GB | Seasonic 660XP2 | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV

LG 34UM95-P w/ Ergotron MX  | O2/ODAC | Audioengine A5+ w/ AS8 | Sennheiser HD 598 | Ducky Shine 3 | Cooler Master Storm Spawn

Whoa, California did something good for once? This is news. Schools should not be looking at their students social media in the first place. The fact that you could get in trouble for something you did outside of your school is total bs.

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

Am I the only one who never heard of such a thing as schools monitoring their student's online activity? I find that absolutely unacceptable.

✌ (≧◉◡◉≦)✌

this is stupid

people want privacy on social media? HOW ABOUT NOT POSTING PRIVATE/HARMFUL THINGS ON SOCIAL MEDIA IN THE FIRST PLACE?

this is ridiculous

99% of the people complain about the NSA - "OMG THEY KNOW EVERYTHING ABOUT ME!? THEY KNOW MY WORKPLACE, WHERE I LIVE, WHERE I GO TO EAT, WHEN I GO TO EAT, WHERE I SHOP? EVERYTHING?!!?!?!?!"

yet chances are you can open their facebook profile

- Works at ____

- Lives in ______

- Checked in at _____

- Posted instagram of what they're eating

- Checked in at the mall ______

- Posted photo of what they just bought

All of this is willingly posted to public social media

I'm not saying I'm for the NSA - just that people are such stupid hypocrites. they claim they want privacy but they're posting so much junk on social media anyway it blows my mind.

Someone explain this to me I don't live in the US are they saying they would watch students Facebook accounts even when they are posting from home?

Social media is usually stupid, I deleted my social media a year ago and do not regret it.

This has been going on since social media became a big thing. Kids at my school were busted for everything. Bullying, illegal activities, skipping school- you name it. I'm not surprised.

However, in America at least, if you post something online, ESPECIALLY if you make it public, it's fair game. If I can look you up, anyone can look you up. It's just plain simple. There's even ways around it- mainly creating fake accounts and sending friend requests.

When I worked at my desk job, my job was to try and find out about new employees for our company. I'd look at their Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Google plus, and other social media accounts. I've made numerous people lose their job opportunities when I found racist tweets, drunk parties on Facebook, and inappropriate pictures on Instagram.

I've been getting into the repo business with a buddy of mine. He has several Facebook accounts, he has 18 year old girls, 50 year old men, 30 year old rich people, everything. People are stupid and friend us when he sends a request to the debtor and then we know EXACTLY where they will be.

Short version- if you have something to hide, build a house with a 45 foot fence, barbed wire, and don't go outside. Don't use the Internet, or a phone. Period.

I was expelled from my Colorado high school ten years ago for some LiveJournal posts I made, so this news comes as a breath of fresh air.

You may of been asked already but, what the hell did you do?

And so GabeN has told us to march forthith unto the Land of Holy welding our swords of mice, shields of keyboards, and helmets of Oculus Rifts where we shall reclaim it-which is rightfully ours-from the PUNY Console Peasants from whom armed only with mere controllers we shall decimate in all forms of battle and we shall dominate even in their most ridiculous tradition and infatuation of CoD. Yes, my brothers- sisters and trans sexuals too- we shall destroy the inferior of races with our might and majesty. And if any Peasants wish to join us they must speak now or forever perish. -Ancient Speech from a Leader of Old, Book of Murratri section 2

this is stupid

people want privacy on social media? HOW ABOUT NOT POSTING PRIVATE/HARMFUL THINGS ON SOCIAL MEDIA IN THE FIRST PLACE?

this is ridiculous

99% of the people complain about the NSA - "OMG THEY KNOW EVERYTHING ABOUT ME!? THEY KNOW MY WORKPLACE, WHERE I LIVE, WHERE I GO TO EAT, WHEN I GO TO EAT, WHERE I SHOP? EVERYTHING?!!?!?!?!"

yet chances are you can open their facebook profile

- Works at ____

- Lives in ______

- Checked in at _____

- Posted instagram of what they're eating

- Checked in at the mall ______

- Posted photo of what they just bought

All of this is willingly posted to public social media

I'm not saying I'm for the NSA - just that people are such stupid hypocrites. they claim they want privacy but they're posting so much junk on social media anyway it blows my mind.

Damn! Finally someone noticed .. a nice rant there , Keep it up! B)

Details separate people.

I assume students in California will now post even more crude things to their Facebooks such as "FUCK YOU *insert School name here*" as statuses? Or more guilt trippy like "I see you watching me Pedo, take a seat over there." :P