Elon Musk says next year's Tesla cars will be able to self-drive 90 percent of the time.

shermantanker

2013-tesla-model-s-rear-three-quarter-1.

In an excerpt from a CNNMoney interview, Tesla boss Elon Musk says that the self-driving car — or "autopilot," the term he prefers — is basically just months away from retail. Here's the language:

Autonomous cars will definitely be a reality. A Tesla car next year will probably be 90 percent capable of autopilot. Like, so 90 percent of your miles can be on auto. For sure highway travel.

How's that going to happen?

With a combination of various sensors. You combine cameras with image recognition with radar and long-range ultrasonics, that'll do it. Other car companies will follow.

But you guys are going to be the leader?

Of course. I mean, Tesla's a Silicon Valley company. If we're not the leader, shame on us.

Many automakers and suppliers have congealed around 2020 as reasonable guidance for when publicly available cars are capable of running in a substantially autonomous mode, though key features of self-driving cars are coming sooner — GM has promised a hands-free mode for some 2017 models, and Audi has been making the PR tour this year for its "piloted driving" features. Hands-free highway driving is easier to process than rat's nests of traffic- and obstacle-filled surface streets, which helps explain his "90 percent" target.

Possibly related, Musk has a set of Tesla announcements lined up for October 9th, where he has promised "the D and something else." It's not known what either of those reference, but the company is expected to release an all-wheel-drive version of the Model S and the production version of the Model X in the near future.

Source: http://www.theverge.com/2014/10/2/6894875/elon-musk-says-next-years-tesla-cars-will-be-able-to-self-drive-90-percent-of-the-time

Main Rig "Rocinante" - Ryzen 9 5900X, EVGA FTW3 RTX 3080 Ultra Gaming, 32GB 3600MHz DDR4

God, Tesla is such an amazing company

"My opinion is that your opinion is wrong." - AlwaysFSX    CPU I5 4690k MB MSI Gaming 5 RAM 2 x 4GB HyperX Blu DDR3 GPU Asus GTX970 Strix,  Case Corsair 760T Storage 1 x 120GB 840EVO 1 x 1TB WD Blue, 1 x 500GB Toshiba  

The cave/beast v2 (OLD) http://imgur.com/a/8AmeH                                  PSU 600W Raidmax RX600AF Displays ASUS VS278Q-P x2, BenQ Xl2720z Cooling Dark Rock 3, 4 AP120s Keyboard Logitech G710+ Mouse Razer Deathadder 

The new Tesla gets revealed on the 9th, that's what I'm waiting for.

Main Rig: -FX8150 -32gb Kingston HyperX BLUE -120gb Kingston HyperX SSD -1TB WD Black -ASUS R9 270 DCUII OC -Corsair 300r -Full specs on Profile

Other Devices: -One Plus One 64gb Sandstone Black -Canon T5 -Moto G -Pebble Smartwatch -Nintendo 2DS -G27 Racing Wheel

#PlugYourStuff - 720penis - 1080penis - #KilledMyWife - #LinusButtPlug - #HashtagsAreALifestyle - CAR BOUGHT: 2010 Corolla

It's tesla so it was to be expected. well done Mr Musk!

The new Tesla gets revealed on the 9th, that's what I'm waiting for.

If only I wasn't a broke architecture student...if only.

Main Rig "Rocinante" - Ryzen 9 5900X, EVGA FTW3 RTX 3080 Ultra Gaming, 32GB 3600MHz DDR4

I'd be interested to hear what the NHTSA has to say on the subject.

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

"But you guys are going to be the leader?

'Of course. I mean, Tesla's a Silicon Valley company. If we're not the leader, shame on us.'"

Can't wait to get those cheaper teslas when I can drive. To get some extra cash ill charge people gas money LOL

Selling my parts of my 900D rig for a jacked up Ncase M1. PM me for offers if interested (will take some reasonable-low offers because I'm desperate).

Parts that I'm selling: 900D (1 slot cover broken for stealth DVD drive mod) | Asus Z87 Deluxe | Cooler Master 212 Evo | Corsair 4x2GB black ram @1600mhz | EVGA 1000G2 PSU (2 cables with missing heat shrink) | DVD drive | HP membrane keyboard | Ducky Shine 3 YOTS in blue switches (warranty sticker broken)

they should of put that tech in the current cars and enabled it next year with a software update. would of surprised everyone xD

"dont forget to update your car" XDDD

someone shows up at the mechanic "ummm i think i bricked my car can u fix?" xD

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

I am not sure what to think about self-driving cars. I mean the driver (person with the wheel) will always be responsible by law. I don't think I would buy in early on this tech. It's great and such but there is a lot that can go wrong and I think that governments will have to rewrite their traffic laws if these cars get into massproduction. Moral of what I am trying to say: I am curious but is don't no if I like it or not haha :P  

I5-8600K - GTX 1080 - 16GB RAM - 1.5TB SSD

I want everything pink

I'm so excited for this company and what they're doing for cars.

[spoiler=pc specs:]cpu: i5-4670k | mobo: z87-pro | cpu cooler: h100i | ram: 8gb vengeance pro | gpu: gtx770 ftw 4gb | case: nzxt switch 810 matte black | storage: 240gb ssd; 1tb hdd | psu: 750w corsair rm |
keyboards: max nighthawk x8 mx brown + blue led; corsair k60 mx red; ducky shine 3 tkl mx blue + orange led | mouse: deathadder black edition | audio: FiiO E10; sennheiser hd558; grado sr80i; sony mdr-nc200d; blue snowball |

Some day when every car is driverless we will have totally eliminated car accidents.

"You have got to be the biggest asshole on this forum..."

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

Some day when every car is driverless we will have totally eliminated car accidents.

Safer, and you can get rid of speed limits, stop lights, and stop signs. Simply weave the cars between each other at speed. There would be a significant gain in fuel efficiency if we only have to accelerate the car once on a trip.

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

There would be a significant gain in fuel efficiency if we only have to accelerate the car once on a trip.

Fuel efficiency? Is this not further evidence that the future is electric?

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

I would love an autopilot car, but I have a major gripe about it.

There needs to be a manual mode. Sometimes I LOVE to drive. Being in control of the car, feeling the engine, etc. Also, what happens if the navigation system fails and the car is literally blind? I can't drive my $35k Tesla(expected)? I want a backup mode and that's the main reason that turns me off on Google's model.

Please have a manual mode as well. Please.

Fuel efficiency? Is this not further evidence that the future is electric?

Ahh you caught me. A minor slip of the finger I guess. But I suppose in this case the fuel source is electrical energy. Either way there is a gain to be made in the efficiency with only accelerating a vehicle once.

There needs to be a manual mode. Sometimes I LOVE to drive. Being in control of the car, feeling the engine, etc. Also, what happens if the navigation system fails and the car is literally blind? I can't drive my $35k Tesla(expected)? I want a backup mode and that's the main reason that turns me off on Google's model.

^^This. No mater how good the software and hardware is, there is always the possibility for complications. Plus, driving is fun. All i would want a self driving car for is when i commute early in the morning and i am half asleep. I would prefer driving myself in any other circumstance though.

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

Ah so iRobot is another day closer. Yayyyyy. :D

My Rig :  Case: Cooler Master HAF X ,Motherboard: Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H,PSU: Seasonic SS-750KM3,Processor: Core I7 4770k (overclocked 4.7ghz),Cooler: Corsair H100i, GPU: EVGA GTX 780 with acx cooler, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 16gb DDR3 1600 (overclocked to 2000mhz), HDDS  Samsung 840 EVO 250 gb SSD , Western digital  2tb 7200 rpm 64mb cache, Old 1tb laptop drive I had , 320gb for os backup daily, 80gb external for weekly backups,Drives 2x Lg Blu Ray burner WH16MS40,MISC: Tp-Link dual band wireless card, Logitech g510s, Razer Deathadder 2013, Acer G236HLBbd 23" monitor, Old tv I had 23" for secondary monitor, old 32" samsung tv third monitor

Ahh you caught me. A minor slip of the finger I guess. But I suppose in this case the fuel source is electrical energy. Either way there is a gain to be made in the efficiency with only accelerating a vehicle once.

Agreed. Having a computer control the efficiency is much more effective even with the minor gains you get from not feathering the pedal like some drivers do.

I think it's going to be awfully tough to do without something like a "smart cloud" (I know it's cliché but I can't think of a better word) bridging the gap between the computer systems in all of the cars.

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

For me to like autopilot on a car the government would need to have an OFFLINE NETWORK, independent of internet connection, of every vehicles coordinates, destinations, planned routes (as well as any changes to the routes), in addition to an AI that manages all of that and how the cars interact with each other.

There also need to be no crosswalks level with the road, people are too unpredictable.

Linus Sebastian said:

The stand is indeed made of metal but I wouldn't drive my car over a bridge made of it.

https://youtu.be/X5YXWqhL9ik?t=552

Funny how we can have a huge airplane have auto-pilot but a four seater car is out of the question :lol:

Its going to happen whether the masses want it or not, or it needs to happen to improve traffic in general. As it is all those manual drivers out there crash like gang busters so an auto-pilot will prevent the long haul trucker from falling asleep and ramming into you, a good thing in my book, same for people driving long distances. You want to drive in manual mode then go to a regular non-highway/freeway road and stay off the auto-pilot roads/lanes.

I roll with sigs off so I have no idea what you're advertising.

This is NOT the signature you are looking for.

Agreed. Having a computer control the efficiency is much more effective even with the minor gains you get from not feathering the pedal like some drivers do.

I think it's going to be awfully tough to do without something like a "smart cloud" (I know it's cliché but I can't think of a better word) bridging the gap between the computer systems in all of the cars.

It will prevent that guy who thinks he's a speed daemon by driving 1 mph over the limit from sitting on the fast lane and ruin traffic for the rest driving 10 mph over the limit.

I've always envisioned having a lane where everyone driving for extended lengths to attach to each other in a train mode so save energy and just sit in the car as those long distance miles tick by. I still like to drive but if you've ever driven on those long straight roads its boring as can be in any car so might as well open up a book to read or go see what's going on in the LTT forums instead of just siting with your hands at 10 and 2 with your foot on the accelerator for the same amount of time.

I roll with sigs off so I have no idea what you're advertising.

This is NOT the signature you are looking for.

Absolutely. The system would be nearly impossible without some type of interconnect between each vehicle. Some type of communication or even centralized control is almost a must.

I don't know what it is about self driving cars, but they terrify me. I would rather have full control of the car, with any crash being my fault than have a computer do all the work for me. 

Then again, I prefer classic F1 to modern F1 because there were no computers in those cars. 

What do they know of England, who only England know?

"Well that's what I always said I wanted to be remembered for, for being honest. Nothing else is worth a damn"