Facebook Real Name Policy

Megazero

http://online.wsj.com/articles/facebook-changes-real-name-policy-after-uproar-from-drag-queens-1412223040

So it seem like much uproar, Facebook have to change their policy regarding real name on FB... They said that "Our policy has never been to require everyone on Facebook to use their legal name" , but they end up going around and banning people account for not using their real name anyway. It seem like they are going to launch a "people-based" advertising service that focus on each person's real identities, and we though NSA was already bad enough with all those requirement...

And it's not just the problem of getting your account banned. Me personally have alot of work contact and friends that only know me through Facebook, and I dont use my real name because it's hard to pronounce for some people, especially when I'm studying and working oversea like this, and I just got reported by some 15 years old kid that got mad at one of my friend and he's going through my friend's friends list to reporting everyone, this is just stupid! I'm so mad right now I dont even know where to begin!

But finally seem like they are going to reconsider it and will provided a better authenticating system and all... But seriously, their report system is just as bad as Youtube's flag system, where you can go flag everything and be anonymous about it... you dont even have to hold the copy right to flag a video!

My rig: Intel Core i7 4790k | MSI Z97 PC Mate | GSKILL Ripjaws X 16GB 1866MHz | ADATA Premier SP550 480GB SSD | Seagate Barracuda 3TB | Seagate Barracuda 2TB  | MSI Gaming X GTX 1070 | Thermaltake Versa N21 | Corsair CX550M Semi Modular PSU | AOC G2460PF 144Hz | Logitech G502 | GSKILL Ripjaws KM780  | GAMDIAS HEPHAESTUS V2  PCPartPicker | Old Build Log | New Build Log

Doesn't matter too much to me since I'm not that active on Facebook anyway...

I use my real name everywhere, I don't care about it.

Everyone should use their real names, so surveillance should be more easy.

| CPU: i7 3770k | MOTHERBOARD: MSI Z77A-G45 Gaming | GPU: GTX 770 | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Trident X | PSU: XFX PRO 1050w | STORAGE: SSD 120GB PQI +  6TB HDD | COOLER: Thermaltake: Water 2.0 | CASE: Cooler Master: HAF 912 Plus |

Soon enough a competitor will come along will less restrictions and similar functions.

Then social media will go nuts over it.

Sheep will follow.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

Why would anyone ever not use a real name.. amazes me.

Well maybe if you're some weirdo stalking people but those users should be banned regardless.

For example, you are some Chinese or Japanese or Korean guy, your name contain lots of weird symbol, and you are living in USA or Canada or UK at the moment, would anyone over where you live right now be able to find you and add your Facebook, and later on tag you or anything?

My rig: Intel Core i7 4790k | MSI Z97 PC Mate | GSKILL Ripjaws X 16GB 1866MHz | ADATA Premier SP550 480GB SSD | Seagate Barracuda 3TB | Seagate Barracuda 2TB  | MSI Gaming X GTX 1070 | Thermaltake Versa N21 | Corsair CX550M Semi Modular PSU | AOC G2460PF 144Hz | Logitech G502 | GSKILL Ripjaws KM780  | GAMDIAS HEPHAESTUS V2  PCPartPicker | Old Build Log | New Build Log

Well maybe if you're some weirdo stalking people but those users should be banned regardless.

Maybe it is because you are not known IRL by your legal name. I have not used my legal first name for over 10 years in real life simply because it there are so many locally that have the same name and thus it is difficult to tell when I am being addressed versus joe blow on the street. However, I replace it with my middle name and thus there should not be a real problem at all.

^^ or as the poster before me said, foreign names too.

Spoiler

Desktop <dead?> 

Spoiler

P8P67-WS/Z77 Extreme4/H61DE-S3. 4x4 Samsung 1600MHz/1x8GB Gskill 1866MHzC9. 750W OCZ ZT/750w Corsair CX. GTX480/Sapphire HD7950 1.05GHz (OC). Adata SP600 256GB x2/SSG 830 128GB/1TB Hatachi Deskstar/3TB Seagate. Windows XP/7Pro, Windows 10 on Test drive. FreeBSD and Fedora on liveboot USB3 drives. 

Spoiler

Laptop <Works Beyond Spec>

Spoiler

HP-DM3. Pentium U5400. 2x4GB DDR3 1600MHz (Samsung iirc). Intel HD. 512GB SSD. 8TB USB drive (Western Digital). Coil Wine!!!!!! (Is that a spec?). 

But what would you use as a name in that case..?

A nickname. Currently I live in Thailand, and everyone, even the CEO of 1 of the 3 biggest communication company in Thai have a nickname that he use daily in place of his real name because Thai's name are way too long and hard to pronounce to be of any practical use, not to mention they use those symbol as well (This happen due to the fact that in the past for Thai people. longer name mean you are from the royalty or rich family and stuff like that). So everyone have some kind of nick name like Nick, Smile or whatever in English so that people can find him and can call him instead of their real name.

Maybe it is because you are not known IRL by your legal name. I have not used my legal first name for over 10 years in real life simply because it there are so many locally that have the same name and thus it is difficult to tell when I am being addressed versus joe blow on the street. However, I replace it with my middle name and thus there should not be a real problem at all.

noone i know except my mother and father call me by my real name. 

Processor: Intel core i7 930 @3.6  Mobo: Asus P6TSE  GPU: EVGA GTX 680 SC  RAM:12 GB G-skill Ripjaws 2133@1333  SSD: Intel 335 240gb  HDD: Seagate 500gb

Monitors: 2x Samsung 245B  Keyboard: Blackwidow Ultimate   Mouse: Zowie EC1 Evo   Mousepad: Goliathus Alpha  Headphones: MMX300  Case: Antec DF-85

For example, you are some Chinese or Japanese or Korean guy, your name contain lots of weird symbol, and you are living in USA or Canada or UK at the moment, would anyone over where you live right now be able to find you and add your Facebook, and later on tag you or anything?

The reason why people don't use their real name is because colleges look at your social media when you're applying. Because of this, people change their name so colleges can't find you. Sometimes you post a thing that is off color. People don't want colleges seeing that.

PC: 4770K @ 4.0 GHz --- Maximus VI Hero --- 8 GB 2133 MHz Corsair Vengeance Pro --- EVGA 780 TI Classified @ 1300 MHz --- Samsung Evo 250 GB --- Corsair RM 750 --- Corsair Carbide Air 540 --- CM Storm Rapid-I (MX Blues with PMK Evergreen Keycaps) --- Windows XP --- Razer Naga --- Custom Loop Parts: 380I, EKWB 780 Classy Waterblock and Backplate, 240mm and 360mm XT45, Swiftech MCP655, EKWB multi option reservoir, Mayhems Pastel Red, Primochill Primoflex Advanced Clear Tubing, 5 SP 120 Quiet Editions --- Mobile: Surface Pro 3 (i5 128gb) with JD40 (MX Clears) and Microsoft Sculpt Mouse --- Galaxy S6

use free service = you are the product

its that simple

now there are degrees

facebook has gone above and beyond

google comes a close second  but  much less insane than facebook

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

The reason why people don't use their real name is because colleges look at your social media when you're applying. Because of this, people change their name so colleges can't find you. Sometimes you post a thing that is off color. People don't want colleges seeing that.

That's... also one of the reason I guess... But seriously, I cant believed that I just lost all of my work contact just because some stupid 15 years old kid decided to report me because he hate one of my friend...

Funny. When I try to insert my real name Free Xavier G. Boo. It doesn't allow me.... FB doesn't allow my name to have Free in it.......

Specs: [CPU: Intel i5-4570(Clock to 3.6Ghz)] [GPU: Dual-X R9 270x 2GB] [RAM: x1 HyperX Blu 8GB 1600] [OS: Win8.1]

Funny. When I try to insert my real name Free Xavier G. Boo. It doesn't allow me.... FB doesn't allow my name to have Free in it.......

They have alot of other stupid stuff like no R. in name and so on

You can also suspend your Facebook account in the settings menu IIRC, meaning that nobody can see that you even have one.

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

You can also suspend your Facebook account in the settings menu IIRC, meaning that nobody can see that you even have one.

Yes but then you can't use your facebook. You would have to shut it down for 9 months almost.

PC: 4770K @ 4.0 GHz --- Maximus VI Hero --- 8 GB 2133 MHz Corsair Vengeance Pro --- EVGA 780 TI Classified @ 1300 MHz --- Samsung Evo 250 GB --- Corsair RM 750 --- Corsair Carbide Air 540 --- CM Storm Rapid-I (MX Blues with PMK Evergreen Keycaps) --- Windows XP --- Razer Naga --- Custom Loop Parts: 380I, EKWB 780 Classy Waterblock and Backplate, 240mm and 360mm XT45, Swiftech MCP655, EKWB multi option reservoir, Mayhems Pastel Red, Primochill Primoflex Advanced Clear Tubing, 5 SP 120 Quiet Editions --- Mobile: Surface Pro 3 (i5 128gb) with JD40 (MX Clears) and Microsoft Sculpt Mouse --- Galaxy S6

heh, nope.

no way i will ever use my real name with anything web based. i'm behind a proxy and a vpm to ensure my security, and you expect me to use my real name? no.

Build: Sister's new build |CPU i5 2500k|MOBO MSI h61m-p23 b3|PSU Rosewill 850w  |RAM 4GB 1333|GPU Radeon HD 6950 2GB OCedition|HDD 500GB 7200|HDD 500GB 7200|CASE Rosewill R5|Status online

Build: Digital Vengeance|CPU i7 4790k 4.8GHz 1.33V|MOBO MSI z97-Gaming 7|PSU Seasonic Xseries 850w|RAM 16GB G.skill sniper 2133|GPU Dual R9 290s|SSD 256GB Neutron|SSD 240GB|HDD 2TB 7200|CASE Fractal Design Define R5|Status online

Well there goes what little identity theft protection I had setup for the seniors in my family who aren't savy in the slightest. If Facebook wants to implement this, i assume they've completed the rounds and clean up the mountains of malicious crap floating around within FB because they "care" about money...err people..

screw that, time to de-activate

Dont worry... they will "deactivated" it for you =.=

I use my real name everywhere, I don't care about it.

Well thats good for the NSA, makes tracking a lot easier for them :P

Not that they don't have the means to track you regardless

P.S You live about 20km's from me in West Friesland :P

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

Main rig:

i7-4790 - 24GB RAM - GTX 970 - Samsung 840 240GB Evo - 2x 2TB Seagate. - 4 monitors - G710+ - G600 - Zalman Z9U3

Other devices

Oneplus One 64GB Sandstone

Surface Pro 3 - i7 - 256Gb

Surface RT

Server:

SuperMicro something - Xeon e3 1220 V2 - 12GB RAM - 16TB of Seagates 

I am glad you KNOW why my name is not Chris on facebook. There is always more than one reason that someone chooses to do an action. For example, you probably assume because I own an Assault Rifle and life less than a mile from a School that I am going to assassinate the students, right?  (Another thing to note is that I don't have to hide from my employer as a business owner.)

Spoiler

Desktop <dead?> 

Spoiler

P8P67-WS/Z77 Extreme4/H61DE-S3. 4x4 Samsung 1600MHz/1x8GB Gskill 1866MHzC9. 750W OCZ ZT/750w Corsair CX. GTX480/Sapphire HD7950 1.05GHz (OC). Adata SP600 256GB x2/SSG 830 128GB/1TB Hatachi Deskstar/3TB Seagate. Windows XP/7Pro, Windows 10 on Test drive. FreeBSD and Fedora on liveboot USB3 drives. 

Spoiler

Laptop <Works Beyond Spec>

Spoiler

HP-DM3. Pentium U5400. 2x4GB DDR3 1600MHz (Samsung iirc). Intel HD. 512GB SSD. 8TB USB drive (Western Digital). Coil Wine!!!!!! (Is that a spec?). 

Why would anyone ever use their real name on the internet? Amazes me.

Well maybe if you're dumb, but then you shouldn't be using the internet to begin with.

I just got reported by some 15 years old kid 

And this is why Facebook should have stayed a closed platform for college students that was invite only. That place went to shit quicker than MySpace once it went open and it seems each new policy change is making me question why you guys with accounts there put up with this. It's well known you're thrown under the bus at a simple a request for your data. it's well known if you work as a teacher, for example, you're not allowed to have a social life or risk being fired. It's well known there are cases of child neglect because "mothers" would rather give attention to fake carrots than their own kid suffering scolding hot water in the tub. The list goes on.

Why do you still stay, Facebook account owners? If enough of you left, Facebook would crumble into obscurity like Myspace. Hell, even Skype is infinitely better if that's the sole reason you're still on Facebook because of contacts.