Most Project Ara modules will be hot swappable and will have a "Google Play-like store"

TopWargamer

Source: http://www.technobuffalo.com/2014/09/30/most-project-ara-modules-will-be-hot-swappable-thanks-to-modified-android-l/

It's safe to say that we're all excited for Project Ara, for better or for worse, but with this piece of news, the hype gets even more real. Project director of Project Ara Paul Eremenko stated that all modules of Project Ara will be hot-swappable, except for the CPU and display (which makes perfect sense). As an example, if you want to use a better camera, you can swap one out mid pose. 

This amazing smartphone technology is coming to life from a modified version of Android L that Eremenko and his team are working on. However, they are getting help from a non-profit organization known as Linaro. Oh, and one more cool bit of news: Project Ara will have a Google Play-esque store for Ara parts. obviously this store will be small at first, but I can see it growing at a rapid pace, especially if it's very similar to Google Play.

If you're interested, you can watch the full keynote here:

COMIC SANS

iYOXpB3.gif

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

I always get excited about project ara news. I find it amazing that it has already come so far. I initially thought there would be no way that a company would support something like this.

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

So if the battery is hot-swappable, then there must be a small residual battery built into the main base, as otherwise you'd have to perform really fast battery swaps to make sure the device didn't run out of power before the new module was installed.

Overall I really am stoked for Ara, I really want it to do well, and It'll be one of those devices that hopefully will revolutionise the industry.

PCs

Spoiler
Spoiler

Branwen (2015 build) - CPU: i7 4790K GPU:EVGA GTX 1070 SC PSU: XFX XTR 650W RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX fury Motherboard: MSI Z87 MPower MAX AC SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB + Crucial MX300 1TB  Case: Silverstone RV05 Cooler: Corsair H80i V2 Displays: AOC AGON AG241QG & BenQ BL2420PT Build log: link 

Spoiler

Netrunner (2020 build) - CPU: AMD R7 3700X GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 (from 2015 build) PSU: Corsair SF600 platinum RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix RGB 3600Mhz cl16 Motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus X570i pro wifi SSD: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB Case: Lian Li TU150W black Cooler: Be Quiet! Dark Rock Slim

Yes sirey!

how do you have a device run without a battery? surely it will die.

That's a question for a more technical person. I'm not sure how it works. All I know is that it does work, and that it's awesome. 

COMIC SANS

That's a question for a more technical person. I'm not sure how it works. All I know is that it does work, and that it's awesome. 

was it shown? 

was it shown? 

I don't believe it was, but from the source:

"One of the great things about this capability, especially for road warriors, is that the battery can be hot-swapped, meaning you can replace it on the fly without turning the phone off thanks to a tiny reserve. Turns out you can do that with quite a few of the parts."

COMIC SANS

hot swap battery? 

Well, obviously if you took all of them out it'd turn off, but I guess you could hot-swap a new one in (in a different slot) then take out the old one.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X - CPU Cooler: Deepcool Castle 240EX - Motherboard: MSI B450 GAMING PRO CARBON AC

RAM: 2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RBG 3200MHz - GPU: MSI RTX 3080 GAMING X TRIO

That is sexy.

So from my understanding, Eremenko and his team is developing the design function and software for Project Ara, and it's up to hardware manufacturers to jump on the boat?

Well, obviously if you took all of them out it'd turn off, but I guess you could hot-swap a new one in (in a different slot) then take out the old one.

I was thinking that, most logical

That is sexy.

So from my understanding, Eremenko and his team is developing the design function and software for Project Ara, and it's up to hardware manufacturers to jump on the boat?

I'm not entirely sure. I'm sure that Google will offer some modules - at least some starter modules. The bulk will probably be made by 3rd parties. 

That's just personal speculation though. 

COMIC SANS

That is sexy.

The real idea is that developers can do stuff that hasn't been done before on a phone. Google will likely offer a basic set and an advanced set of basic block,s but kickstarter will be the perfect place for small companies to launch amazing new products that can be used in an environment when usually you'd have to make people carry a whole different device, rather than just a phone

EDIT: For example, a paramedic can have as phone that doubles as a pulse reader and blood analyser, rather than carrying three devices.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X - CPU Cooler: Deepcool Castle 240EX - Motherboard: MSI B450 GAMING PRO CARBON AC

RAM: 2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RBG 3200MHz - GPU: MSI RTX 3080 GAMING X TRIO

Can this come any sooner? I'd like to get my hands on this, and test it out.

Wanna hang out with me and people like @Theslsamg, @ Ssoele, @BENTHEREN, @Lanoi, @Whiskers, @_ASSASSIN_, @Looney, @WunderWuffle, and @nsyedhasan. Well.... Check out: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/48484-unofficial-linustechtips-teamschnitzel-server-teamspeak/

My only complain about Project Ara is how blocky it is.

Nature of a modular interface, it has to be fairly blocky.

If google ever license the chassis design we could see interesting third party models, sleeker with fewer blocks etc.

hot swap battery? 

Easy; have a lower capacity internal battery capable of running the phone for 30 mins and a higher capacity external battery for swapping. Some laptops have that feature too. 

Interested in Linux, SteamOS and Open-source applications? Go here

Gaming Rig - CPU: i5 3570k @ Stock | GPU: EVGA Geforce 560Ti 448 Core Classified Ultra | RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB DDR3 1600 | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB | HDD: 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB WD Caviar Black, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Case: Antec Lanboy Air | KB: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue | Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95 | Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

Meh. It will be interesting to see how it develops but I really don't see it catching on, definitely not into the mainstream.

I mean look at other things that are supposed to be portable yet customization never really took over due to the hit it would take to form; laptops.

No one wants a massive laptop they have to carry around.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Capacitors probably, It would seem like the most cheap and sensible thing to use to accomplish that.

A riddle wrapped in an enigma , shot to the moon and made in China

Nature of a modular interface, it has to be fairly blocky.

If google ever license the chassis design we could see interesting third party models, sleeker with fewer blocks etc.

Having a thin case or backing could fix that. I would like one of these seems cool, or a one m8/g3. I think this has a few years to progress though

Someone told Luke and Linus at CES 2017 to "Unban the legend known as Jerakl" and that's about all I've got going for me. (It didn't work)

None of this information is new unfortunately. But I guess i've been following it more heavily.

Basically the base has a small battery in it that can probably run for a minute or so. Long enough to change batteries out. Also any module can also house a battery if the manufacture wants to. Depends on if they made room for it in the module along with whatever else it is. You can also have multiple batteries on the thing, and it supposedly uses them smartly and stuff and keeps the base charged.

I'm really excited for Ara but I don't think it's gonna last too long. I expect it to be alright at the start of it all and then dye out to a few new parts here and there to keep the hardcore users of it happy.

Ha, low end.

Sound: Custom one pros, Audioengine A5+ with S8 sub.

K70 RGB