Samsung Will Begin Manufacturing AMD's 14nm Zen Core By Year's End

It's no secret that AMD has been working on a brand new high-performance x86 CPU core to replace the aging Piledriver family of FX processors.
News of this new x86 core broke in May. AMD has also officially stated that the new core will go into new enthusiast FX parts.

With the legendary Jim Keller heading the project it's no doubt that we're possibly looking at a very interesting design. After all Jim was the man behind both the AthlonXP and Athlon64 processors. AMD's two best CPU microarchitectures in recent history.

It was revealed by the company's CEO Rory P Read during the Deutsche Bank Conference that the new core is code named "Zen".
It was widely speculated early on that AMD's next gen CPU core will be manufactured on the unified Globalfoundires/Samsung 14nm manufacturing process.

A report from ZDNet claims that among the many clients of Samsung including mobile giants Apple and Qualcomm, AMD would join the list.

The report claims that Samsung will begin volume production for AMD near the end of this year. This is exciting news because it means that for the first time in years AMD will compete against Intel on a comparable manufacturing process. This would almost certainly eliminate Intel's process advantage and means that Skylake will not go uncontested.

Stay tuned for more info.

Their are scarcely words to describe how much I want this too be true.

System CPU : Ryzen 9 5950 doing whatever PBO lets it. Motherboard : Asus B550 Wifi II RAM 80GB 3600 CL 18 2x 32GB 2x 8GB GPUs Vega 56 & Tesla M40 Corsair 4000D Storage: many and varied small (512GB-1TB) SSD + 5TB WD Green PSU 1000W EVGA GOLD

You can trust me, I'm from the Internet.

Hopefully something to compete with Intel.

However, knowing AMD; it probably won't.

I'm sorry but going by your comment you clearly don't "know" AMD. Because if you did you'd know that Intel's core series wouldn't have even existed if it weren't for AMD's K8 kicking Intel's butt in 2003. If it weren't for the Athlon64 Intel would still be on the ridiculous Pentium Netburst architecture it so loved and defended.

And guess what, the CPU architect that designed the only two architectures that beat out Intel on all fronts. Performance, efficiency and price is the same person working on Zen right now.

I'm sorry but going by your comment you clearly don't "know" AMD. Because if you did you'd know that Intel's core series wouldn't have even existed if it weren't for AMD's K8 kicking Intel's butt in 2003.

I would assume he is talking about recent history. Where they have taken a step and a half back for every 2 forward.

System CPU : Ryzen 9 5950 doing whatever PBO lets it. Motherboard : Asus B550 Wifi II RAM 80GB 3600 CL 18 2x 32GB 2x 8GB GPUs Vega 56 & Tesla M40 Corsair 4000D Storage: many and varied small (512GB-1TB) SSD + 5TB WD Green PSU 1000W EVGA GOLD

You can trust me, I'm from the Internet.

"knowing AMD"... apart from 1 bad architecture, and not having the infinite sums of money intel has, AMD has always delivered. they just needed to milk their CMT flop as much as possible, to be able to get enough money to make a new core.

look not that far into the past, and AMD was always either on par or better than intel. its only the Piledriver and onwards that was crap

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

Game developer, AI researcher, Developing the UOLTT mobile apps

G SIX [My Mac Pro G5 CaseMod Thread]

I'm sorry but going by your comment you clearly don't "know" AMD. Because if you did you'd know that Intel's core series wouldn't have even existed if it weren't for AMD's K8 kicking Intel's butt in 2003. If it weren't for the Athlon64 Intel would still be on the ridiculous Pentium Netburst architecture it so loved and defended.

And guess what, the CPU architect that designed the only two architectures that beat out Intel on all fronts. Performance, efficiency and price is the same person working on Zen right now.

Bam !

Jim Keller says hi

Here's to it being a good architecture, as intel really do need some competition at the moment.

PCs

Spoiler
Spoiler

Branwen (2015 build) - CPU: i7 4790K GPU:EVGA GTX 1070 SC PSU: XFX XTR 650W RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX fury Motherboard: MSI Z87 MPower MAX AC SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB + Crucial MX300 1TB  Case: Silverstone RV05 Cooler: Corsair H80i V2 Displays: AOC AGON AG241QG & BenQ BL2420PT Build log: link 

Spoiler

Netrunner (2020 build) - CPU: AMD R7 3700X GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 (from 2015 build) PSU: Corsair SF600 platinum RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix RGB 3600Mhz cl16 Motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus X570i pro wifi SSD: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB Case: Lian Li TU150W black Cooler: Be Quiet! Dark Rock Slim

I really hope they do release something competative with Intel's high end chips, it's been a while and we really need the competition to force the companies to innovate.

CPU: I7 3770k @4.8 ghz | GPU: GTX 1080 FE SLI | RAM: 16gb (2x8gb) gskill sniper 1866mhz | Mobo: Asus P8Z77-V LK | PSU: Rosewill Hive 1000W | Case: Corsair 750D | Cooler:Corsair H110| Boot: 2X Kingston v300 120GB RAID 0 | Storage: 1 WD 1tb green | 2 3TB seagate Barracuda|

Isn't intel doing 10nm now? why is AMD bothering with 14? why not try and leap frog intel and do like, 8nm or something?

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Jim Keller is an embedded SOC designer. Don't get ahead of yourself. While this news means the processor wars will finally get interesting again, let's see what he can really do with macroscopic architecture before we get behind either company. Also, do you really think Intel doesn't have the features in its pipeline needed to keep AMD busy with catch-up for the next 8 years?

And AMD beat Intel to exactly 2 things: 64-bit and dual-core architecture. Ever since 06-07 AMD has been slaughtered. The wars will be interesting again, but AMD has a lot of ground to cover, and Jim Keller is only one man.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

Isn't intel doing 10nm now? why is AMD bothering with 14? why not try and leap frog intel and do like, 8nm or something?

because samsung already has 14nm fabs standing. as does intel. intel are making a new 10nm fab now. not close to operational

And AMD beat Intel to exactly 2 things: 64-bit and dual-core architecture. Ever since 06-07 AMD has been slaughtered. The wars will be interesting again, but AMD has a lot of ground to cover, and Jim Keller is only one man.

lol what are you talking about. AMD was as good and better until sandy bridge... their PhenomII x6 were beasts for the time

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

Intel is planning to build a factory to develop a manufacturing process for 10nm.

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

Intel is building the last of its 10nm fabs. Tape out isn't until March. Also, no CMOS tech in the world is more advanced than that in Intel's and IBM's fabs. AMD leap-frogging Intel is about as likely as all the gas in a room moving to exactly 1 half of the room of its own accord. Samsung bought the same tech Intel did from the only leading-edge CMOS tech manufacturers (it's pretty much a monopoly). Now it comes down to arch. Vs. arch.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

Intel is planning to build a factory to develop a manufacturing process for 10nm.

It already has 2 built in Asia. The one for Israel introduces EUV CMOS for the Cannonlake successor.

because samsung already has 14nm fabs standing. as does intel. intel are making a new 10nm fab now. not close to operational

lol what are you talking about. AMD was as good and better until sandy bridge... their PhenomII x6 were beasts for the time

Ooooooh now it makes sense. Sadly I couldn't find a clip of Dr Evil going "oooooooh"

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Nah, I'll put my dad's Q6600 up against any of AMD's chips at the time.

Nah, I'll put my dad's Q6600 up against any of AMD's chips at the time.

dude, phenom2s were going effortlessly against Nahalems and Westmeres... they were even slightly better all in all

It's obvious already that CPU monopoly is all about IPC and AMD cpu's we've seen last 10 years don't even have more IPC than Core 2. http://i.imgur.com/TDLx2vT.png

If they come up with a silly 10% IPC improvement, they'd end up to be the same garbage they are right now.

Very exciting! Samsung has some pretty damn advanced Fab facilities. Though ARM chips are quite a bit smaller then a full-blown high-end x86 chip. Does anyone know if Samsung has experience with larger chip designs aside from the upcoming AMD chips?

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

dude, phenom2s were going effortlessly against Nahalems and Westmeres... they were even slightly better all in all

Yeah no. Not only were AMD's boards notoriously more failure prone than Intel's (back in the days everything was based off a reference board), but AMD's northbridge was well known to melt over time even with great airflow, whereas we could push my Dad's Q6600 to 3.1GHz on water and keep everything easily cooled. Like I said, AMD has been getting it's butt kicked since 2006-7.

Very exciting! Samsung has some pretty damn advanced Fab facilities. Though ARM chips are quite a bit smaller then a full-blown high-end x86 chip. Does anyone know if Samsung has experience with larger chip designs aside from the upcoming AMD chips?

They don't. The only other company which builds large chips is IBM. Keller is a bit of a wild card, but he's in the same boat having only ever designed embedded SOCs.

Yeah no. Not only were AMD's boards notoriously more failure prone than Intel's (back in the days everything was based off a reference board), but AMD's northbridge was well known to melt over time even with great airflow, whereas we could push my Dad's Q6600 to 3.1GHz on water and keep everything easily cooled. Like I said, AMD has been getting it's butt kicked since 2006-7.

im talking CPU performance. if the boards were shit, thats a different question... i still know a ton of people running phenom2s OCd no problem. youre just picking on the bad things of AMDs and not looking at what intel did crappy then (granted i cant remember atm, since its too late, but i know they had their fair share of problems). when threads like these arise, you are such an intel fanboy...