After 4+ years of searing retinas, Google finally agrees that dark modes help battery life (and saves your eyes)

tealghost

@LinusTech 

#wanshow

o.p. :

The Verge - Google confirms dark mode is a huge help for battery life on Android

https://www.theverge.com/2018/11/8/18076502/google-dark-mode-android-battery-life

Up to 60% difference in power drain in white vs dark app background utilization on OLED displays.

Screen_Shot_2018_11_08_at_3.46.55_PM.png

Screen_Shot_2018_11_08_at_3.30.05_PM.png

I would say duh.. Black OLED means the organic cells that form a pixel aren't generating light therefore not consuming power.

The whole thing would not be valid with other LCD based displays as those rely on backlight - if the pixel is black, it's simply blocking the backlight from shining through, the backlight is still running.

ap_resize_php.png.ddff49877d6b9678411668dd7560cfb7.png

If you're like me, one of the things we disliked ever since Material Design first rolled off was the heavy use of bright UX elements. It tended to cause the display to draw more power than necessary on OLED panels and also make it harder to read comfortably in very dark settings, even on some phones with very low luminance when set to their absolute minimum brightness .

Well, after 4 years of searing everyone's retinas with bright elements and even adding much more insult to injury by adding more and more white, Google has finally admitted that dark modes do actually help save battery.

During the Android Dev Summit 2018 that was just held in Mountain View, Google admitted something we all basically knew anyway: it may have been wrong to use so much much white in its apps as it drains smartphone batteries faster than duller, darker colors. Thankfully, dark modes can alleviate the problem and lead to better battery life, and Google wants more devs to add one to their apps.

Using an OG Pixel with an OLED panel, Google engineers ran some tests to see how much display brightness and color affects battery life. Unsurprisingly, there was a pretty linear correlation between display brightness and battery drain. More interesting was the fact that different colors cause different amounts of power usage, with white and then blue accounting for the biggest draw.

Googler Chris Banes went as far as to say they "kinda shot themselves in the foot slightly in terms of power" when they moved away from the mostly black Holo theme to Material Design and the heavy use of white as a base hue. Every recent Google app update we've covered has introduced seemingly more white space than ever before, much to the chagrin of commenters.

Banes went on to laud the introduction of dark modes, using the recent YouTube update as an example of the power benefits. This can save up to 43% battery usage during video playback and 60% when paused (with the phone set to 100% brightness). Even using a dark theme in Gboard can reduce power consumption significantly, by up to 21%.

And what's the result of all this? Google is encouraging other developers to implement dark modes in their apps and has issued some instructions on how to do so. Expect more apps to come with a dark mode in the future (hopefully)

Source: Android Police

D13H4RD's opinion

Spoiler

Wow, Google. It's been 4 fucking years and you finally have grasped onto the idea that darker UX elements are very beneficial to OLED panels, huh? Even after making stuff even more retina-searing on Android Oreo. Well, better late than never I guess (you still should've known way earlier). I'm happy to see that dark mode is finally getting some much needed attention and that we might see more apps updated to include a dark mode option.

One more thing, though. Please use actual black as the baseline next time. It's incredibly efficient on OLED because no pixels are lit up on areas of the display showing actual black. It also makes for a really nice effect when looking at the display. Those using black themes on Galaxy phones know what I'm talking about.

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

The topic title should state which display technology it's actually mostly useful for. Any user with a non-OLED based panel wouldn't see that much benefit from this.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Weird because Google Maps navigation has dark mode for ages. I guess their offices are too bright to notice the eye sore problem

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

FINALLY! Thank god.

I don't/can't root my Pixel 2 because I want the extra security given various banking apps, and Substratum doesn't have a rootless option for Android Pie, so I'm glad Google is finally accepting the need for a true dark mode.

“I like being alone. I have control over my own shit. Therefore, in order to win me over, your presence has to feel better than my solitude. You're not competing with another person, you are competing with my comfort zones.”  - portfolio - twitter - instagram - youtube

Just now, Jurrunio said:

Weird because Google Maps navigation has dark mode for ages. I guess their offices are too bright to notice the eye sore problem

They also had a dark mode in the Marshmallow beta

I still think Google has some sort of allergy against anything that isn't white in color.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

Now if only Apple would release a dark theme on iOS.....

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

GEE

I  WOULD HAVE NEVER GUESSED!?!?!?

took them long enough

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

Just now, Pandalf said:

This seems to be the first time Google does a UI/UX design change that users actually want.

Everyone I know at the office enjoyed the chrome change not long ago

Irish in Vancouver, what's new?

3 minutes ago, D13H4RD said:

They also had a dark mode in the Marshmallow beta

I still think Google has some sort of allergy against anything that isn't white in color.

GoOgLe iS RaCiSt?

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

1 minute ago, Zando Bob said:

GoOgLe iS RaCiSt?

aLL c0L0Rs mATter

3 minutes ago, Shally said:

that's because they barely did anything.

Laptop: Acer V3-772G  CPU: i5 4200M GPU: GT 750M SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB
DesktopCPU: R7 1700x GPU: RTX 2080 SSDSamsung 860 Evo 1TB 

2 minutes ago, Shally said:

I did too, because it looks like Firefox now and I much prefer that tab layout, but a ton of people at the office and on r/chrome bitched about it.

From salty to bath salty in 2.9 seconds

42 minutes ago, tealghost said:

Screen_Shot_2018_11_08_at_3.30.05_PM.png

This shouldn't be surprising.

OLEDs consume very little to no power when black elements are displayed, because the lack of a backlight due to the self-luminant nature of the diodes mean that they can shut themselves off entirely, which also gives you that extremely deep contrast ratio that's characteristic of OLED displays. However, the power consumption increases significantly when it is displaying an entirely white-colored element, sometimes moreso than an equivalent LCD (LCDs are most efficient when it is displaying a white image). This is especially true when the brightness is increased.

This has been known for an extremely long time already. The fact that it took Google 4 years since they released Material Design to realize that their aesthetic choices are wrecking battery life is flabbergasting.

Am I the only one who doesn't really care all that much about dark mode vs light mode?

I'd like to know what is it exactly that people like so much about dark mode, too. ?

If the display isn't too much brighter than what you might see when reading a book in southern CA, NV or AZ outside in summer in the middle of a sunny day, I think it's fine.  Now if it's nighttime, or I'm in a dimly lit (or unlit) room, I'll probably turn my display's brightness down.  (I think all my PC / phone displays are LED-backlit IPS panels, which wouldn't take advantage of the power savings from dark mode like OLED/QLED would.)

Generally though, unless I'm trying to go to sleep, I like my environment to be fairly well lit.  (For example, for photography buffs, be able to take a picture or video with a fast enough shutter speed to freeze average human or animal motion - without using flash, and without having to open the aperture all the way or crank up the ISO.)

I also don't like a big contrast between the brightness of my display vs the ambient brightness of my surroundings.

I use light mode pretty much almost all the time, with some exceptions.  (For example I have all but 1 of my discord accounts set to dark mode.  In that case I think it makes things readable, but I think it's due to the way the UI is designed.)  Also, if I'm editing a document or something intended for printing, light mode is how it will look when printed, usually.

10 minutes ago, PianoPlayer88Key said:

Am I the only one who doesn't really care all that much about dark mode vs light mode?

I'd like to know what is it exactly that people like so much about dark mode, too. ?

If the display isn't too much brighter than what you might see when reading a book in southern CA, NV or AZ outside in summer in the middle of a sunny day, I think it's fine.  Now if it's nighttime, or I'm in a dimly lit (or unlit) room, I'll probably turn my display's brightness down.  (I think all my PC / phone displays are LED-backlit IPS panels, which wouldn't take advantage of the power savings from dark mode like OLED/QLED would.)

Generally though, unless I'm trying to go to sleep, I like my environment to be fairly well lit.  (For example, for photography buffs, be able to take a picture or video with a fast enough shutter speed to freeze average human or animal motion - without using flash, and without having to open the aperture all the way or crank up the ISO.)

I also don't like a big contrast between the brightness of my display vs the ambient brightness of my surroundings.

I use light mode pretty much almost all the time, with some exceptions.  (For example I have all but 1 of my discord accounts set to dark mode.  In that case I think it makes things readable, but I think it's due to the way the UI is designed.)  Also, if I'm editing a document or something intended for printing, light mode is how it will look when printed, usually.

I have gotten eye strain from looking at my monitor even with lower brightness so I would say I have to disagree. Flux helped alot but dark mode just feels better on my eyes personally. 

2 hours ago, D13H4RD said:

Spoiler

ap_resize_php.png.ddff49877d6b9678411668dd7560cfb7.png

That picture kills me :D, though it is still under-representing the feels of an assault by bright displays with day themes.  Pure white backgrounds are criminal, off white are vastly superior to white.  Greys and blacks are gifts from the gods. 

http://blackle.com/ has been a thing for...what.  10 years?  more?  Bout time there was inhouse options as stylish add-ons leave a fair bit to be desired; been quite happy with blackedout gmail & youtube for the last few months.

In other 4 years, Google will recognize that dark theme helps with contrast, allows users to use their phone under lower brightness settings outside, saving even further battery life and finally make Android fully support Dark Theme, and then I'll get to say: Welcome to 2007 Google. Microsoft research which proven that water is wet in 2007, was indeed correct.