Apple went rotten after Steve Jobs’ death, former engineer claims

PeterBocan

Apple went rotten after Steve Jobs’ death, former engineer claims

Apple turned against customers and its own employees after the death of co-founder and CEO Steve Jobs, a fired Apple engineer claims in a lawsuit.

“No corporate responsibility exists at Apple since Mr. Jobs’ death,” Darren Eastman alleged in a lawsuit over his termination and patents related to his work at the Cupertino tech giant.

“Apple evolved from an honest company into a rampant and regular abuser of contract, discrimination and employment law,” Eastman claimed, “in addition to regularly acting without good faith in business dealings.”

With Apple management focused on “eliminating quality assurance and engineering positions,” employees became tied up dealing with litigation, “often for embarrassing and simple causes which never had previously happened at Apple,” Eastman alleged.

Source: https://www.siliconvalley.com/2018/09/27/apple-went-rotten-after-steve-jobs-death-former-engineer-claims/ 

Law-suit: https://www.scribd.com/document/389672362/Darren-Eastman-vs-Apple

[ If this story is true, it may reveal that the first trillion dollar company practices and low quality of the products and bad design decisions Apple made ever since 2011. Everything from BendGate onwards, to headphone jack decision, dongle decision, etc. ]

being a non apple person and just simply watching from the sidelines , apple genuinely has this much different feeling around it

gone are the days of filling classrooms with knowledge machines , and here are the days of greedy 1300$ cell phones and patent suits 

The engineer is an idiot. Jobs was always cheating anyone he could to be on top, especially his employees.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

3 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

The engineer is an idiot. Jobs was always cheating anyone he could to be on top, especially his employees.

I agree on that. But what's going on since he departed is just astonishing. I would love to hear more from ex-Apple engineers. 

9 minutes ago, DaPhuc said:

Especially the new name "iPhone Xs MAX". Why can't it be IPhone Max instead? 

2019: iPhone XXXS Mega Max

with a 6" screen.

ASUS X470-PRO • R7 1700 4GHz • Corsair H110i GT P/P • 2x MSI RX 480 8G • Corsair DP 2x8 @3466 • EVGA 750 G2 • Corsair 730T • Crucial MX500 250GB • WD 4TB

To be honest I think anyone could see this coming. I've never been an apple person, but they honestly had good products with Steve Jobs. I'm not saying they don't make good stuff anymore, but the way they lie about things, release bug filled software, dongle everything, and charge fees and taxes on everything to everyone involved makes it a company I can't trust or recommend. 

Bendgate is enough alone, but it's just a part of their huge downturn

Fanboys are the worst thing to happen to the tech community World. Chief among them are Apple fanboys. 

No real surprise here. Even as consumers, you could see that Apple had changed and not for the best after Steve Jobs passed away.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

4 minutes ago, Ginger_ said:

To be honest I think anyone could see this coming. I've never been an apple person, but they honestly had good products with Steve Jobs. I'm not saying they don't make good stuff anymore, but the way they lie about things, release bug filled software, dongle everything, and charge fees and taxes on everything to everyone involved makes it a company I can't trust or recommend. 

I remember the days when everyone had those thick, cheap plastic notebooks that other brands made and Apple was the only one who had this fine aluminium finish, the touchpad was light years ahead and it really was a pro product for a pro price. Magsafe connector was like from another universe. The product itself stood out and everyone was really amazed by it in the room. 

Today the only amazement the Apple can bring is, is the price. Others have caught up and that's the only differing point they can offer. 

Kind of makes sense, though, doesn't it? Obviously the person who started the company from the ground up is going to care more about it, in a different way, than those that follow. He's out there protecting his baby, the thing his name is attached to. Anyone after him is likely solely there for the money. And it shows.

45 minutes ago, DaPhuc said:

Especially the new name "iPhone Xs MAX". Why can't it be IPhone Max instead? 

Eh, while stupid, it makes sense. They need the X as it denotes where it falls by model year, the s is what they use for second run of said product. The odd thing is going from Plus to Max. Not quite sure why they did that. I guess they're surprised they managed to fit a screen that big into a body like that after spending years having massive chins and foreheads.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

I really, really wish people would stop with the hagiography of Steve Jobs and how the company was run under his watch.

Yeah, you can point to his greater willingness to make more dramatic changes where Cook is more of an iterative sort.  But if you think Apple was always a gentle, by-the-books company that coddled employees and pumped out brilliant product after brilliant product... you weren't paying attention while Jobs was around.

He had a reputation for expecting ridiculous hours from employees (in part because he expected that from himself) and fudging the rules.  Remember the original iPhone?  Apple named it the iPhone without securing permission from Cisco, which owned the trademark (which was a purposeful riff on Apple's naming scheme, but still).  The company went lawsuit-happy on patents under Jobs' watch.  And labor disputes weren't unheard of.

I wouldn't be surprised if things had changed somewhat under Cook, but we need to stop clinging to this "Steve Jobs would never have..." crap.  Jobs got Apple entangled in lawsuits against Samsung, HTC, Motorola and others.  Jobs greenlit the iPod Hi-Fi, the G4 Cube, Mobile Me and other mistakes.  He oversaw Apple during Antennagate.  He had a brilliant mind; he was not a saint who brought kindness and flawless craftsmanship to everything he touched.

38 minutes ago, Ginger_ said:

So, EXACTLY what it was like under Jobs.

21 minutes ago, dizmo said:

Kind of makes sense, though, doesn't it? Obviously the person who started the company from the ground up is going to care more about it, in a different way, than those that follow. He's out there protecting his baby, the thing his name is attached to. Anyone after him is likely solely there for the money. And it shows.

Jobs only ever cared about the money. 

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

Choose your favorite company, artist, musician etc.  Imagine someone fired from linked entity says something bad about them with no real evidence.  Now will you consider their word truth without question?

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

4 minutes ago, mr moose said:

Choose your favorite company, artist, musician etc.  Imagine someone fired from linked entity says something bad about them with no real evidence.  Now will you consider their word truth without question?

If they had a decline similar to Apple's, yes. Though nothing is ever without question.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

5 minutes ago, mr moose said:

And that's why I would love to hear more from ex-Apple engineers, especially QA and hardware engineers ...  

1 minute ago, Dabombinable said:

If they had a decline similar to Apple's, yes. Though nothing is ever without question.

I personally think there is a decline, other think there wasn't,  that is the point, it really depends on your perspective as to how much credit you wish to give a fired staff member.  

Just now, PeterBocan said:

And that's why I would love to hear more from ex-Apple engineers, especially QA and hardware engineers ...  

And all you will get are answers that describe that persons personal relationship with the company.  If they were a prick and always thought they were right then they will tell you the company was awful and that ideas were suppressed and the managements didn't want you to think just make it work etc.  If that person was a yes man then they would be telling you it was all sunshine and roses.

My point is you will never know why the employee is an ex-employee, you will never know how accurate their portrayal is without some sort of accompaning evidence. 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Seems like a disgruntled employee. Jobs was a dick, acting like Apple was a holy grail of responsibility and accountability when he was in charge is an absolute farce. 

Tim Cook is not Steve Jobs, but the company is doing extremely well and by the only metric that matters, money, Tim Cook is a great CEO. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

Just now, mr moose said:

And all you will get are answers that describe that persons personal relationship with the company.  If they were a prick and always thought they were right then they will tell you the company was awful and that ideas were suppressed and the managements didn't want you to think just make it work etc.

No, you can still get the story of how come that Apple iPhone 6 got released even if it was known that it could be easily bent. You can get the information of how the QA and testing processes are and how they changed over the years. You still can get the objective answers.  

3 minutes ago, PeterBocan said:

No, you can still get the story of how come that Apple iPhone 6 got released even if it was known that it could be easily bent. You can get the information of how the QA and testing processes are and how they changed over the years. You still can get the objective answers.  

You can get their take on it, you can get it through their eyes.  You don't know if you are getting the truth without evidence.   You have no way of knowing if they are being objective or not.

1 hour ago, aezakmi said:

2019: iPhone XXXS Mega Max

with a 6" screen.

The most American phone ever haha. 

I do agree with the topic - quality has gone down a lot. There is much less to Apple's philosophy of 'just works'. The truth is quality control has gotten lazy and ineffective - shown by many scandals, which are true to many degrees. Tim just doesn't realise that Apple is not mean to be a money-making company (whilst it can be), they are meant to make great products and be a large cut above the rest, but really I've never been more inclined to switch to Android and Linux than now. 

If Linux had the cloud integration that MacOS had, and fully-fledged support for my MacBook, then I would have switched a while ago. 

1 minute ago, RorzNZ said:

The most American phone ever haha. 

I do agree with the topic - quality has gone down a lot. There is much less to Apple's philosophy of 'just works'. The truth is quality control has gotten lazy and ineffective - shown by many scandals, which are true to many degrees. Tim just doesn't realise that Apple is not mean to be a money-making company (whilst it can be), they are meant to make great products and be a large cut above the rest, but really I've never been more inclined to switch to Android and Linux than now. 

If Linux had the cloud integration that MacOS had, and fully-fledged support for my MacBook, then I would have switched a while ago. 

I'm still angry the ubuntu phone didn't take off. 

Just now, mr moose said:

I'm still angry the ubuntu phone didn't take off. 

I really enjoyed the concept -  I think Samsung had something similar, where you take your phone, and like the old laptop docks just put in on when you get to work and a full desktop would appear. There were certainly some amazing ideas floating around at that time. 

1 minute ago, mr moose said:

You can get their take on it, you can get it through their eyes.  You don't know if you are getting the truth without evidence.   You have no way of knowing if they are being objective or not.

Well, the most of the evidence around BendGate is out there, as it was a matter of the lawsuit, isn't it? However, if an engineer tells you that they were lacking the QA or they were doing something that was making the product to be faulty by design and seniors rejected any complaints then any admission is good enough right? Do you think that no one opposed the "dongle madness" in Cupertino?

2 minutes ago, PeterBocan said:

Well, the most of the evidence around BendGate is out there, as it was a matter of the lawsuit, isn't it? However, if an engineer tells you that they were lacking the QA or they were doing something that was making the product to be faulty by design and seniors rejected any complaints then any admission is good enough right? Do you think that no one opposed the "dongle madness" in Cupertino?

No, it's not good enough, having a shit product is only proof of a shit product. How that product came to be shit is a different story. An ex engineer could lie his arse off and you you still wouldn't know who was telling the truth,  him or the management that comes out later and says his claims didn't happen.  

Without evidence you can't determine if anyone is lying or not.