2nd Gen Ryzen Vaulted AMD Over Intel In CPU Sales Again

The_Tron

Finally Amd has more sales than Intel. It's good that our blue teams getting competition.

I quote:

eTailer Claims 2nd Gen Ryzen Vaulted AMD over Intel in CPU sales again

Ryzen

AMD is on a roll with its Zen architecture, and especially its second generation Ryzen processor family for the mainstream market. Buyers now have competitive solutions from both AMD and Intel at practically every price point. That hasn't always been the case before Ryzen—AMD wasn't really competing at the higher end of the performance spectrum—but it is now, and it's paying off. Evidence of this can be found at a German retailer's breakdown of CPU sales.

Every so often, Mindfactory puts out a bunch of graphs and sales data comparing CPU sales from AMD and Intel processors. Over the course of the year, AMD has been catching up with Intel at that specific retailer, having grabbed 45 percent of CPU sales in June and nudging up to 50 percent in July. Now AMD has overtaken Intel.

Mindfactory CPU Sales

Reddit user ingebor plotted out Mindfactory's sales data over the past year, as shown above. You can see that AMD has been closing the gap over the past several months, reaching sales parity with Intel and, finally, nudging slightly ahead.

Of course, we don't want to make a mountain of a mole hill here. What you're looking at above is the sales data from a single retailer, that's the first thing. Secondly, the graphs depicts the number of CPUs sold, not revenue. Nevertheless, it's an interesting snapshot of the difference that AMD's second generation Ryzen processors have made.

Mindfactor CPU Revenue

If we look at sales revenue, Intel still maintains a lead over AMD. Intel's chips contribute 56 of Mindfactory's CPU sales revenue, versus 44 percent for AMD. The two chipmakers actually swapped places from a year ago, when AMD generated more CPU revenue for the retailer than Intel did. That's due in part to the average selling price (ASP) being higher for certain Intel processors.

Mindfactory CPU Share

No matter how you slice it, though, AMD's second generation Ryzen lineup (shown as Pinnacle Ridge in the above chart) is a success. Again, this is but a single retailer in Germany. However, that is not the only place where AMD's second generation CPUs are selling well.

We looked up the best selling CPUs on Amazon's US website, and the Ryzen 5 2600 holds the No. 2 spot. Other notable entries include AMD's Ryzen 7 2700X (No. 4), Ryzen 5 1600 (No. 6, first-gen part), Ryzen 3 2200G (No. 8), and Ryzen 5 2600X (No. 11).

Intel's Core i7-8700K is the No. 1 selling CPU on Amazon, and obviously Intel is well represented in the top 10 (and beyond). However, the it's certainly not lopsided. The top 10 best selling CPUs on Amazon are equally split between AMD and Intel.

Source: https://hothardware.com/news/etailer-2nd-gen-ryzen-vaulted-amd-over-intel-cpu-sales-again

Looking at what they sell clearly they are focused on the enthusiast and PC gamer and workstation market. So it's a good indicator that AMD is doing well in catering to that target audience in Germany at least.

I think AMD need globally needs to continue the momentum in catering to those high performance segments, but now they also need to start doing better in the laptop segments. There are huge volumes there and AMD now has the tech to do well in it.

Just a year and a half ago the split was 90/10 in Intel's favour... all I can say is Steam Community :: Guide :: Twitch.tv chat Etiquette

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

The only thing im surprised by is the lack of NUC sized PC's using the 2200GE. 

Though their presence in stationaries have increased nicely. 

I never really liked AMD but let's be honest here, Intel DESERVES this.

23 minutes ago, IAmAndre said:

How likely are we to see something similar on the GPU market?

If NVidia keeps advancing down this route, pretty soon...

Just now, IAmAndre said:

How likely are we going to see something similar on the GPU market?

Not for now in the high end. AMD kinda got lucky with Vega, most of the engineers were focusing on Navi and they failed to achieve their performance targets but they still managed to sell well due to the mining boom despite being disappointing and late for gamers.

But on the longrun AMD will become more competitive in the high end with Nvidia GPUs again. First we have Navi midrange and then Navi high end coming out. Plus we know there is a project going on for the successor to GCN. AMD keeps increasing their R&D every year now that they are making profits again. They are more efficient company now after going through a bad period and cutting the fat.

However Nvidia does not go to sleep like Intel does when AMD is not competing. Nvidia keeps innovating... They just charge more money when AMD is not competitive.

Nvidia is also not putting price pressure on AMD. If they wanted to they could have fully replaced the GTX 1070, 1080, 1080ti with the 2070, 2080 and 2080ti. If they had done that it would have pushed Vega out of the market and AMD would be only able to sell upto RX 580 level GPUs until Navi was ready in 2019. But Nvidia didn't do that they just created a new pricing tier for the new GPUs without replacing the old gen. Lisa Su must be thanking her stars for that.

2 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

Same, I want something REALLY small with the 2200g in it. My current HTPC is pretty large and isn't so fun to move around, so it'd be really awesome to have a Wii sized PC that can also perform.

i7 2600k @ 5GHz 1.49v - EVGA GTX 1070 ACX 3.0 - 16GB DDR3 2000MHz Corsair Vengence

Asus p8z77-v lk - 480GB Samsung 870 EVO w/ W10 LTSC - 2x1TB HDD storage - 240GB SATA SSD w/ W7 - EVGA 650w 80+G G2

3x 1080p 60hz Viewsonic LCDs, 1 glorious Dell CRT running at anywhere from 60hz to 120hz

Model M w/ Soarer's adapter - Logitch g502 - Audio-Techinca M20X - Cambridge SoundWorks speakers w/ woofer

2 minutes ago, 2Buck said:

Same, I want something REALLY small with the 2200g in it. My current HTPC is pretty large and isn't so fun to move around, so it'd be really awesome to have a Wii sized PC that can also perform.

A NUC with a compact (good) Blurayplayer on the bottom (or top).

Ive been temped to build something using an ITX board and a Pico PSU. But its not small enough. Also i need to get a TV first

13 minutes ago, The_Tron said:

If we look at sales revenue, Intel still maintains a lead over AMD. Intel's chips contribute 56 of Mindfactory's CPU sales revenue, versus 44 percent for AMD. The two chipmakers actually swapped places from a year ago, when AMD generated more CPU revenue for the retailer than Intel did. That's due in part to the average selling price (ASP) being higher for certain Intel processors.

I'm curious what numbers would be for net revenue (as opposed to gross).  Just because the Intel processors sell for higher, doesn't mean they necessarily make more profit off them.

2 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

Though their presence in stationaries have increased nicely. 

There was an article a while back of a crowd funded board - via Kickstarter - by a company called Udoo (called the Bolt).  Also, I know Sapphire is making their own version.

its weird because when Zen+ was to be released Zen1 prices were dropping like flies... however... 9000 series intel coming out and 8000 prices are as strong as ever!

image.png.4487d2ff6fb42b3f30070d53a8b23628.png

HELL even the older models are holding their prices! https://pcpartpicker.com/product/tdmxFT/intel-cpu-bx80662i76700k

Intel needs to suffer!

Bolivia.

2 hours ago, The_Tron said:

I never really liked AMD but let's be honest here, Intel DESERVES this.

If NVidia keeps advancing down this route, pretty soon...

Care to go into detail here?

Nvidia is pushing record after record in sales, profits and performance.

AMD is doing nothing on the GPU side currently. 

So how is what Nvidia is doing leading to a 50/50 split "pretty soon"?

2 hours ago, Humbug said:

Nvidia is also not putting price pressure on AMD. If they wanted to they could have fully replaced the GTX 1070, 1080, 1080ti with the 2070, 2080 and 2080ti. If they had done that it would have pushed Vega out of the market and AMD would be only able to sell upto RX 580 level GPUs until Navi was ready in 2019. But Nvidia didn't do that they just created a new pricing tier for the new GPUs without replacing the old gen. Lisa Su must be thanking her stars for that.

An analysis I wholeheartedly agree with. 

Also a thinking I really miss being mentioned on other topics. Nvidia is trying to avoid being a real monopoly in order to have higher margins AND not having to follow restrictive monopoly rules.

On topic tho:

About time. The new AMD chips really seem to work well on paper. I just hope they also work well in production / my system at home. Seen plenty of YouTubers regretting the move to team Red and moving back to Intel for various reasons, including instability, support, software ect.

Numbers sell well for marketing. So that is a great start. But in the long run, we also need to have happy consumers after 1-2 years of using the chips.

1 minute ago, Rattenmann said:

An analysis I wholeheartedly agree with. 

Also a thinking I really miss being mentioned on other topics. Nvidia is trying to avoid being a real monopoly in order to have higher margins AND not having to follow restrictive monopoly rules.

On topic tho:

About time. The new AMD chips really seem to work well on paper. I just hope they also work well in production / my system at home. Seen plenty of YouTubers regretting the move to team Red and moving back to Intel for various reasons, including instability, support, software ect.

Numbers sell well for marketing. So that is a great start. But in the long run, we also need to have happy consumers after 1-2 years of using the chips.

I take it none of these youtubers you've seen stuck to Ryzen right? They all regretted switching? LOL cool story bro! 

Bolivia.

Just now, SupremeGOAT said:

I take it none of these youtubers you've seen stuck to Ryzen right? They all regretted switching? LOL cool story bro! 

That is the kind of fanboyism that helps no one. Just drop it.

I never said that. You can ignore that people did switch and moved back to Intel as much as you want, but it does not change the fact.

There are reasons and all I said was we had to hope those reasons got resolved. If AMD manages that, that is amazing. If not, the shiny numbers on paper are useless.

People stuck to Intel, even with (much) higher prices, because people trust Intel to work well and fast. Right now we have people moving to AMD due to numbers on paper being better for the same or even better prices. That is a short-term win, but short term is not the full game.

1 hour ago, Rattenmann said:

Seen plenty of YouTubers regretting the move to team Red and moving back to Intel for various reasons, including instability, support, software ect.

which YouTubers ?

From what I saw they seemed happy at the increased core count cause they are content creators.

1 hour ago, Humbug said:

. Lisa Su must be thanking her stars for that.

na I'm thinking shes more thanking her uncle 

1 hour ago, SupremeGOAT said:

most switched back because Adobe has yet to make a program that uses more than 4 or 6 cores well, it likes clockspeed over cores.

This is just one retail but its good to hear, AMD needed this. Now if only someone like Microsoft release info on what CPUs are running windows that would be more useful. 

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

24 minutes ago, GDRRiley said:

most switched back because Adobe has yet to make a program that uses more than 4 or 6 cores well, it likes clockspeed over cores.

This is just one retail but its good to hear, AMD needed this. Now if only someone like Microsoft release info on what CPUs are running windows that would be more useful. 

Ryzen doesn't perform bad in the Adobe Suite, actually, it's just in the price categories, there is a markedly better result with Intel in the current gen. (Pre-Skylake, Ryzen is generally a slight be better since clocks are even & I/O is faster.)  The recent iGPU encoding stuff is actually Adobe being really late to the party on the utility, but it also isn't lossless and only applies to certain workloads.

Though, even that said, we're really only talking about with the 8700/8700k and the upcoming 9700 through 9900k.

On the rumor mill, the fun tidbit is that AMD's Rome (Zen2 Epyc dies) has PCIe 4.0. So we might be seeing that on Desktop sooner than we suspected. AM4+ might drop next year. We'll see.

35 minutes ago, Humbug said:

which YouTubers ?

From what I saw they seemed happy at the increased core count cause they are content creators.

I think Jay moved back, also HardwareCanucks.

Like this video: 

You can just fire up youtube and do a search for "moving back to Intel".

basically, the reasons all boil down to Instability, unpredictability and support for features they use for encoding or so (i don't do videos, so i don't understand all the lingo)

Edit:

And again, I am not trying to bash AMD here. I am more than happy to see them do well. I just wanted to point out that there are issues that need to be resolved. Just talking about the good and ignoring the bad is dangerous and helps no one. Bad things need to be addressed to keep pushing Intel. Otherwise, AMD will just have a short-term win here and not the long-term win that we all hope for.

1 minute ago, Rattenmann said:

basically, the reasons all boil down to Instability, unpredictability and support for features they use for encoding or so (i don't do videos, so i don't understand all the lingo)

what are you talking about? what instability and unpredictability? i only saw the case of Adobe CC using the igpu in intel.

2 minutes ago, asus killer said:

what are you talking about? what instability and unpredictability? i only saw the case of Adobe CC using the igpu in intel.

Again, I don't do video stuff so I don't know the lingo (or care enough about it to watch every single video in detail).

Things I remember is Adobe support for cores, the fact that high clock seems to be better than high core counts for some stuff. Also, there seems to be a feature that is not supported from AMD at all. And before you ask, no I don't know the details because I am not encoding videos or care about it.

I only pointed out that I have noticed people moving back to the seemingly more expensive, lower core company. And that has to have a reason. Why would anyone in their right mind move to a more expensive Chip that is less powerful on paper, without a valid reason? Ignoring this would be silly.

If you care enough about the details, just watch the available videos. 

My hope is that the issues (whatever they are) got resolved in the latest gen AMD chips, so we can see the sales figures raise more and stay there. Honestly tho, I am kinda wondering why team red seems to be so pissed when any flaw is pointed out. Kinda like shutting your eyes close to not see any issue,... who is that attitude helping anyone? :-(

We all want AMD to knock on Intels doors so we can finally see bigger jumps in CPUs. No one wants AMD to fail.