YouTube is terminating accounts that promote Twitch Streams

ItsMitch

So people knowingly violate Youtube's terms of service repeatedly and then get upset when they face a reprimand?

I genuinely don’t see YouTube staying relevant much longer. And their current practices seem to be speeding the process up. I agree with the notion that once somebody creates a decent video-sharing site, people will abandon YouTube to move on to something new.

I wonder if YouTube knows how insecure this makes them look.

1 minute ago, BachChain said:

So people knowingly violate Youtube's terms of service repeatedly and then get upset when they face a reprimand?

People are upset that YouTube aren't being consistent with their policies, banning the smaller guys and letting the big fish off. 

2 minutes ago, BachChain said:

And to be fair you have to admit they have so many policies now its hard to upload anything.  Sure I get the copyright stuff to an extent but some things are just ridiculous.

25 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

Hopefully Floatplane turns out to be a big success(RIP Vessel), and more content creators can use that.

As long as those creators also use some platform that I don't have to pay for in order to view the content.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

30 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

Why can't YouTube do anything right....

I guess we're just lucky they haven't started a rampage going after people for wrong think. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

33 minutes ago, asus killer said:

it actually makes no sense for them to allow people to promote for free the competition on their own platform

Well, I PERSONALLY dont even consider twitch competition. They are so different, and both complement each other.

That being said, YT want to grab the market twitch has, which is the stream market. For now, YT stream is CRAP and not at all reasonable (they mix videos and streams, its a mess). When/if they fix it so they can TRULY be a twitch rival, then it would make sense.

Ultra is stupid. ALWAYS.

18 minutes ago, Taja said:

Well, I PERSONALLY dont even consider twitch competition. They are so different, and both complement each other.

That being said, YT want to grab the market twitch has, which is the stream market. For now, YT stream is CRAP and not at all reasonable (they mix videos and streams, its a mess). When/if they fix it so they can TRULY be a twitch rival, then it would make sense.

Indeed, if anything YT has actually benefited from Twitch since streamers will archive their videos onto Youtube.

CPU - Ryzen 7 3700X | RAM - 64 GB DDR4 3200MHz | GPU - Nvidia GTX 1660 ti | MOBO -  MSI B550 Gaming Plus

1 hour ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

YouTube is acting perfectly in line with their mission. Their mission just doesn't happen to be what they tell everyone it is.

58 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

Probably, I didn't like the new version.

Don't use Chrome...

Whats wrong with chrome? I have been using it since it was fist public.

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

4 hours ago, Christophe Corazza said:

I genuinely don’t see YouTube staying relevant much longer. And their current practices seem to be speeding the process up. I agree with the notion that once somebody creates a decent video-sharing site, people will abandon YouTube to move on to something new.

Given that YouTube is still in the red (i.e. running a video sharing service on the scale of YT is extremely expensive), and the fact that ~400 hours of video are uploaded to YT every minute, the chances of a new company creating a competitive service that doesn't crash and burn due to the sheer costs of running and maintaining (let alone making sure everything uploaded is inline with their policies/not illegal) is already very, very close to 0%. And then convincing the billions of people who already use YouTube to switch? It would take a company the size of Google to even attempt that feat - and we all know what companies of that size do just from looking at the direction YT has gone in: if they want money, they need to please the people paying them, which means the advertisers, which just means fucking over the creators yet again.

I truly believe that it is practically impossible for a competitor to arise to take on YouTube and actually be even remotely decent for any prolonged period of time. Most people simply don't care about the problems of creators and will just keep watching/using the site regardless.

The only semi-realistic solution would be for several, smaller sites to arise that each focus on specific subjects/genres so they don't get overwhelmed. But even that's kinda fucked, since people like having everything bundled together all in one place and YouTube already exists.

36 minutes ago, TimeOmnivore said:

Given that YouTube is still in the red (i.e. running a video sharing service on the scale of YT is extremely expensive), and the fact that ~400 hours of video are uploaded to YT every minute, the chances of a new company creating a competitive service that doesn't crash and burn due to the sheer costs of running and maintaining (let alone making sure everything uploaded is inline with their policies/not illegal) is already very, very close to 0%. And then convincing the billions of people who already use YouTube to switch? It would take a company the size of Google to even attempt that feat - and we all know what companies of that size do just from looking at the direction YT has gone in: if they want money, they need to please the people paying them, which means the advertisers, which just means fucking over the creators yet again.

I truly believe that it is practically impossible for a competitor to arise to take on YouTube and actually be even remotely decent for any prolonged period of time. Most people simply don't care about the problems of creators and will just keep watching/using the site regardless.

The only semi-realistic solution would be for several, smaller sites to arise that each focus on specific subjects/genres so they don't get overwhelmed. But even that's kinda fucked, since people like having everything bundled together all in one place and YouTube already exists.

I do understand that it is nearly impossible to overthrow such a well established giant like Google’s YouTube. That is evident. The platform’s influence is too widespread among users, and therefore also advertisers and content creators.

And, as you’ve mentioned, the ‘several, smaller sites’ solution is indeed the most realistic one to finally offer content creators more breathing room.

4 hours ago, The Benjamins said:

Whats wrong with chrome? I have been using it since it was fist public.

To be fair chrome can be resource heavy at times. I'll still use it for a while, but it's definitely not perfect

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

5 hours ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

Because they're left.

/Political joke.

5 hours ago, Monkey Dust said:

It will drive the creators main point of contact with their audience off platform, which is what they are trying to avoid.

They just do not care. They know that the bulk of the audience will not move to a new platform, out of laziness, convenience, or ignorance of other platforms.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

5 hours ago, Christophe Corazza said:

I agree with the notion that once somebody creates a decent video-sharing site, people will abandon YouTube to move on to something new.

No one cares, otherwise we'd've move on to Vimeo a long time ago, back when it was just as good as the then YouTube.

5 hours ago, Taja said:

For now, YT stream is CRAP and not at all reasonable

Only redeeming quality is that the stream is archived indefinitely with YT.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

6 hours ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

To answer this statement would be political incorrect, so lets just mention Yahoo and HP...

I think I don't need to say anything more.

And no, its not generally the case as you can see with Lisa Su. She seems to be doing a great job. Susan does not.

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

5 hours ago, asus killer said:

it actually makes no sense for them to allow people to promote for free the competition on their own platform

I don't think YouTube and twitch really compete in these cases. Watching a stream and a video are very different tbh. Also it's not like people are going to stop watching YouTube because Linus does the wan show on twitch. The same applies to most of the people getting flagged for it. 

And they wonder why people don't want to stream there among other things. Not to mention they're not really liking gaming content and monetization that goes with it. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

14 hours ago, Christophe Corazza said:

I wonder if YouTube knows how insecure this makes them look.

many have tried to do so, and most failed its not easy to compete with youtube because costs are large and until you have a big audience ads will not be worth much 

13 hours ago, Taf the Ghost said:

YouTube is acting perfectly in line with their mission. Their mission just doesn't happen to be what they tell everyone it is.

problem is that they are allowing way to many people to be upset, if a site shows up that could compete they would loose views pretty quickly, though its probably very hard to do so right now, 

Susan Wojcicki has overstayed her welcome by about 4 years.

- ASUS X99 Deluxe - i7 5820k - Nvidia GTX 1080ti SLi - 4x4GB EVGA SSC 2800mhz DDR4 - Samsung SM951 500 - 2x Samsung 850 EVO 512 -

- EK Supremacy EVO CPU Block - EK FC 1080 GPU Blocks - EK XRES 100 DDC - EK Coolstream XE 360 - EK Coolstream XE 240 -

If you are looking for a viable alternative to Youtube, perhaps you should start looking at Peertube. Why? Simply because it's decentralized. So instead of having one single, big corporation running the show, you instead have many people running smaller instances that federate with each other. What does that mean? You get a huge network of small, easy to manage servers. And the best part is that since they are federating, whatever is available in one server, it is also available in the rest, so it's the same content all at once.

This means that the costs of maintaining one server are very low compared to what it would cost to maintain a single one to serve to a lot of people. And that you can also make yourself your own instance by running their software (it's open sourced). That means you can also have your own server, with your own rules and your own content.

Does it work? Yes it does! There are already a few instances up and running, and it works. Even the Blender foundation had to move their videos to their own Peertube instance to avoid Youtube's terrible policies. The software is still under development, and for now it's more of a beta, but the development has already been funded and It's going to be a thing very soon.

The only problem is that I am not sure about how is their technology going to escalate in the long term if there is a huge wave of users joining, or how many features is it going to implement (for now you can only upload and watch videos as far as I know). But anyway, you should probably check it out.

I am sorry but people saying youtube is in the wrong are fucked up. 

Most sites dont allow any promotion for its competition. Are people this stupid? 

36 minutes ago, TidaLWaveZ said:

Susan Wojcicki has overstayed her welcome by about 4 years.

maybe it's time to start imposing term limits on company CEOs like they do with presidents/prime ministers

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

16 minutes ago, Arika S said:

maybe it's time to start imposing term limits on company CEOs like they do with presidents/prime ministers

Image result for that's not how this works gif

Desktop: [Processor: Intel Skylake i5 6600K (stock for now)][HSF: CoolerMaster Hyper 212 EVO]
[PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 B2][Case: Corsair Carbide Series Air 540 Silver]
[Motherboard: AsRock Z170 Extreme4][RAM: 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-2666]
[Video: eVGA GeForce GTX 1060 3GB 03G-P4-6160-KR]
[Hard Drives: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB]
Notebook: [HP Envy x360 15z][Ryzen 7 2700U w/ Radeon RX Vega 10][8GB RAM][256GB m.2 nVME SSD]

Gaming:[SteamID: STEAM_0:0:1792244 - "[TC]CreepingDeath"]