[Updated for launch] OnePlus 6 Leaks Ahead of May 16th Event

Suika

c69d1fdb1406d30ee51ac5b0a1b99686.png
(source)

It feels like the OnePlus 5T launched yesterday, and here we are talking about the OnePlus 6.

I'm kind of shocked this hasn't been posted, or maybe there's just been a general lack of interest in the device? Whatever it may be, Amazon Germany accidentally leaked the device's store page ahead of the May 16th event OnePlus will be holding. From the photos, the device obviously has a notch despite retaining a chin (why then?) with the camera moved back into the middle of the device, along with a more rectangular fingerprint scanner. It's more clear in the other leaked photo but it looks like there will be a glossy rear panel, likely made of glass, but it'd be nice to see ceramic again.

The OnePlus 6’s Amazon Germany listings also reveal prices for the phone and says the phone will ship on May 22nd. According to those since-deleted listings, the OnePlus 6 may start at $621.26 (€519) for the 64GB model, with the 128GB model costing $681.11 (€569)

Those prices definitely seem steep even for OnePlus, but this being Amazon Germany, I'm assuming these prices include VAT, US shoppers are likely to pay less for the device. There are talks of a 256GB model but pricing wasn't listed.

EDIT: Since the device was announced, here are the official prices and specs.

6GB / 64GB - $529 / Mirror Black

8GB / 128GB - $579 / Silk White + Both blacks

8GB / 256GB - $629 / Midnight Black

(Yes, the colors correspond with the memory capacity, unfortunately)

Device specs are expected, with

• Snapdragon 845 
  • 6GB / 64GB and 8GB / 128 GB / 256GB options
  • 2280 x 1080 6.3" AMOLED display (19:9 Ratio)
  • 3,300mAh Battery backed by Dash Charge
  • Dual nano-SIM support
  • Bluetooth 5
  • 16-megapixel f/1.7 main camera with OIS
  • 4K 60FPS / 1080p 240FPS / 720p 480FPS 

Device goes on sale on May 22nd, with Silk White being available on June 5th.

So here in the US, the premium OnePlus device starts about $300 cheaper than the Samsung Galaxy S9+, $320 cheaper than the Google Pixel 2 XL, and $270 cheaper than the iPhone 8 Plus while retaining a headphone jack. All in all, a mighty fine device in its own right. I'm personally not sure how attractive the 8GB is, especially since I've been using my Pixel 2 XL with only 4GB of RAM just fine, but extra storage is probably more appealing anyway, as is that Silk White. It's also nice that 256GB is only an extra $100, instead of $150, and also 128GB more than what the Pixels offer for an extra $100. There are so many questions with the design of this device, however, such as introducing a notch but having to retain a chin, including a glass rear panel with no wireless charging, restricting colors to memory capacity, etc.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

For the love of God stop converting currencies from euros/pounds to dollars. It doesn't work. You're more likely to get it right by just keeping the value and replacing the currency symbol.

All EU prices are with VAT included unless otherwise stated. It's against the law to do otherwise.

The price increase is only a few percent. 10-15 Euros per SKU I believe.

*price of the oneplus 6 leaks ahead of may 16th launch.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

48 minutes ago, Trixanity said:

For the love of God stop converting currencies from euros/pounds to dollars. It doesn't work. You're more likely to get it right by just keeping the value and replacing the currency symbol.

Not always.

All EU prices are with VAT included unless otherwise stated. It's against the law to do otherwise.

It is?

In the UK at least you need to make more than X amount of money before you need to charge customers VAT.

Wait what? Where do you live lol? xD.

When I bought my used OP3 for £280. £56 of it was VAT. If i bought a £500 phone, £100 of it would be VAT -_-.

Anyhow back on topic: I'm probably gonna pass on this since I got my used OP3 in November 2017. Maybe I'll buy the 6T or the 7 when that comes out. Idk. 

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

1 hour ago, Trixanity said:

I know I hate when people do this. It's like they have never looked at electronic prices between Europe and the US. I mean I have seen times where it cost less USD for something than it cost in euros and that is on multiple locations. In general you can never tell what the price will be in another region based on another regions pricing. 

22 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

Not always.

It is?

In the UK at least you need to make more than X amount of money before you need to charge customers VAT.

When I bought my used OP3 for £280. £56 of it was VAT. If i bought a £500 phone, £100 of it would be VAT -_-.

Anyhow back on topic: I'm probably gonna pass on this since I got my used OP3 in November 2017. Maybe I'll buy the 6T or the 7 when that comes out. Idk. 

I Would think when he says a few Percent and 10-15 euros per SkU he is talking about the 5T you know the last one plus flagship not the one 3 back.  

5T was 449 and 499 Euros.  Still a bigger jump then 10$ though. Tomorrow we will all find out what the price is in our currencies no real reason to over speculate i suppose anyhow. 

3 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

I know I hate when people do this. It's like they have never looked at electronic prices between Europe and the US. I mean I have seen times where it cost less USD for something than it cost in euros and that is on multiple locations. In general you can never tell what the price will be in another region based on another regions pricing. 

Yeah its kinda over the place. Sometimes $99.99 usd is $99.99 Euros and other times its way less in USD cause VAT and Currency difference.  ( Though we add taxes at the end of a Transaction) 

17 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

This is because of varying tax rates in different states, as there are so many different values companies just provide the VAT free version. The best thing to do is assume that $1 = €1 as the difference due to exchange rate can mostly cancel out the tax difference.

57 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

Not always.

It is?

No, not always but often it's spot on, other times it's close enough. Converting currencies will always be way off because it doesn't account for VAT, it doesn't account for market differences and it doesn't account for import fees or other taxes. Electronics are more expensive across the board within the EU for whatever reason(s).

I'd wager most shops selling phones would be required to charge a sales tax regardless of whatever local law you may have. Even the UK. And since this is Amazon, you can bet they'll charge you VAT.

I'm obviously referring to the 5T. Going back years and years and doing a comparison there would warrant some disclaimer. The 5T launched at 499/559 Euros. So yeah, that's pretty close. Even mentioning the 3 in this context is pretty much bs to needlessly argue a point if you ask me. Same goes for mentioning the amount of VAT you paid for your phone.

Either way, the price is listed in Euros and UK law therefore do not apply and generally speaking the EU law dictates you can't obfuscate the price. 

27 minutes ago, ScratchCat said:

This is because of varying tax rates in different states, as there are so many different values companies just provide the VAT free version. The best thing to do is assume that $1 = €1 as the difference due to exchange rate can mostly cancel out the tax difference.

It's the same in the EU but somehow Amazon figured out how to look up tax rates for each country and automatically show the correct price before you purchase. It's black magic I tells ya.

One plus is officially dead to me with this device

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

51 minutes ago, Trixanity said:

It's the same in the EU but somehow Amazon figured out how to look up tax rates for each country and automatically show the correct price before you purchase. It's black magic I tells ya.

For Europe they would have had to add language detection per country and most countries have a dedicated domain name i.e. amazon.nl therefore setting the tax per domain is not that hard as they can train customers to use the country relevant version. In comparison the US version has the same domain name for the entire country and IPs located near the border of a state would wreck havoc with an IP geolocation system.

Oh hey, what do you know, One Plus is a company, not your friend.

Whoda thunk it

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

8 hours ago, ScratchCat said:

For Europe they would have had to add language detection per country and most countries have a dedicated domain name i.e. amazon.nl therefore setting the tax per domain is not that hard as they can train customers to use the country relevant version. In comparison the US version has the same domain name for the entire country and IPs located near the border of a state would wreck havoc with an IP geolocation system.

Most countries? There's 6 Amazon sites versus 28 EU countries. Or 51 countries within Europe. How does that translate to most? I don't have a local site yet can shop with the correct VAT percentage. I don't shop with a local domain nor language actually. You also need to input your address for billing and shipping so that solves any issue with IP tracking.

It's a BS argument, it's used frequently and it has no merit. It can be done in a lot if not most or all cases especially if we're talking strictly online shopping. Like many other things it's just easier not to. And people just accept it - like so many other things.

Damn, that's really expensive. Why has smartphones become so incredibly expensive? I remember when I bought my Galaxy S 2 for ~400 euros and thought that was crazy expensive. Now it's twice as expensive for the equivalent tier.

9 hours ago, ScratchCat said:

Just check the delivery address? I am pretty sure Amazon already does that.

The reason why they don't display with VAT is because it's not required in the US, and why would a store want to display significantly higher prices than their competitors?

1 hour ago, Trixanity said:

Most countries? There's 6 Amazon sites versus 28 EU countries. Or 51 countries within Europe. How does that translate to most? I don't have a local site yet can shop with the correct VAT percentage.

Amazon.nl, amazon.es, amazon.fr, amazon.de, amazon.co.uk and amazon.il seem to be the main European domains, the rest are registered but redirect to either one of these or amazon.com with a flag for the given country. Smaller countries are unlikely to get a smaller domain as Amazon already serves the most populous countries (6 of the top 7), many countries share a language and have tax rates within 1% of each other. Additionally importing something from another country within the EU does not require you to pay extra VAT on the purchase.

1 hour ago, LAwLz said:

Just check the delivery address? I am pretty sure Amazon already does that.

The reason why they don't display with VAT is because it's not required in the US, and why would a store want to display significantly higher prices than their competitors?

2 hours ago, Trixanity said:

You also need to input your address for billing and shipping so that solves any issue with IP tracking.

It's a BS argument, it's used frequently and it has no merit. It can be done in a lot if not most or all cases especially if we're talking strictly online shopping. Like many other things it's just easier not to. And people just accept it - like so many other things.

The billing address cannot be used as you may purchase something from a different state - a state which imports more goods under a higher tax bracket would bring in more revenue than one which exports these goods as the tax would be paid in in importing state as that is where the billing address is almost certainly located. The delivery address cannot be used for the same reason as well as the ability to send goods to a different state and have them later forwarded on which would allow one to abuse the lower sales tax in a different state. The reason this works in the EU is because the tax rates differ by around 1%p, in the US examples such as CA vs OR have difference of 8%p.

image.png.7bc181e1743c61171d305034a399136f.png

I agree however that it would be unreasonable for a company to advertise the higher cost including VAT.

33 minutes ago, ScratchCat said:

Amazon.nl, amazon.es, amazon.fr, amazon.de, amazon.co.uk and amazon.il seem to be the main European domains, the rest are registered but redirect to either one of these or amazon.com with a flag for the given country. Smaller countries are unlikely to get a smaller domain as Amazon already serves the most populous countries (6 of the top 7), many countries share a language and have tax rates within 1% of each other. Additionally importing something from another country within the EU does not require you to pay extra VAT on the purchase.

The billing address cannot be used as you may purchase something from a different state - a state which imports more goods under a higher tax bracket would bring in more revenue than one which exports these goods as the tax would be paid in in importing state as that is where the billing address is almost certainly located. The delivery address cannot be used for the same reason as well as the ability to send goods to a different state and have them later forwarded on which would allow one to abuse the lower sales tax in a different state. The reason this works in the EU is because the tax rates differ by around 1%p, in the US examples such as CA vs OR have difference of 8%p.

image.png.7bc181e1743c61171d305034a399136f.png

I agree however that it would be unreasonable for a company to advertise the higher cost including VAT.

Wrong again. The tax rate differs wildly from country to country (and sometimes depend on the item you purchase) and Amazon is required to apply the tax rate of your country when buying which means if I buy from Amazon.de I don't get to pay 19% VAT and save money - I get to pay the full 25%. You don't pay VAT twice if that's what you mean. That's how it should be done: pay sales tax in the state you live in regardless of where it ships from - the state the shop operates in gets its money from the company itself on their operations and the jobs created and by extension income tax.

And not really many on that list sharing languages. Some have similar languages but if you're not familiar with it it can be quite problematic to understand. Belonging to a language family and being neighbors does not equate to understanding - in fact many have no clue when hearing what's supposed to be a similar language.

It would be extremely convoluted to forward all over the place to save a few percent. How many Texans would forward to Montana to save 6% versus getting their package quickly? You'd have to buy an iPhone at least for it to be truly worth it. You'd have to be extremely petty to forward a packet of M&Ms - not to mention the cost of using a service or even just a family member in shipping & handling.

It may be I underestimate how badly US laws are written but it should honestly be a trivial matter to accomplish. However you forget how different each and every EU country is - that's kinda why it often ends up being a shit show. It's hard to force 28 different cultures to cooperate when they disagree on most things and have so large disparities (economically, socially, politically, spiritually, culturally and more) with no glue holding them together besides some made up nonsense about European spirit to promote trade and prevent wars.

And the last comment is basically consumer vs corporate. Should you favor transparency for the benefit of the consumer or should you favor marketing in favor of the corporation? I always go with the former meaning I'd rather they list the full price instead of trying to trick my brain into thinking something's cheaper than it is.

Screw the pricings. Also dreaded notch. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

13 hours ago, Doobeedoo said:

Screw the pricings. Also dreaded notch. 

I've been saving up planning to buy the OnePlus 6.  The notch just broke it for me.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

Roses are Red,
Violets are Blue,
Notches are Disgusting.

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

40 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

I've been saving up planning to buy the OnePlus 6.  The notch just broke it for me.

I'm good with my current phone Galaxy S6 so I'll probably wait for next one with like full screen though.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

Good to see that OnePlus' tagline is still solid advise to not buy their phones.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

21 hours ago, Trixanity said:

For consumer pricing the price you see is tax inclusive and the price you pay. For stores that sell exclusively to businesses, it is more common to see ex-VAT also, although thinking more I'm not sure if both ex and inc are always shown.

20 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

We're not interested in what businesses have to tell the tax man. This is all about what the consumer sees as the pricing. In normal day to day life, what you see is what you pay with no extras. Not all items are taxable and it doesn't matter...

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

12 minutes ago, porina said:

For consumer pricing the price you see is tax inclusive and the price you pay. For stores that sell exclusively to businesses, it is more common to see ex-VAT also, although thinking more I'm not sure if both ex and inc are always shown.

Yes, but we're not discussing B2B transactions. Whenever I stumble onto a B2B page it's usually listed as ex-VAT but again: not really relevant.