Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

Southmainauto is my go-to. Hoovie + car wizard + car ninja are also great.

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 64GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Razer Deathstalker v2 / Razer Basilisk v3 Pro / Sennheiser HD 600

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / iPhone 15 Pro Max

Lets not forget about rainman ray's repairs

====>The car thread<====>Dark Souls thread<====>Placeholder<====
"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

2 hours ago, techswede said:

Lets not forget about rainman ray's repairs

This guy knows

Needs money for car parts :P

System specs: Core i7 9700k, Dark Rock Pro 4 , MSI Z390 PRO, 16GB CORSAIR VENGENCE DDR4 3000, EVGA GTX 1070 FTW, Corsair AX860, Seagate 1TB, Sandisk 240GB SSD, Corsair 400c

My Steam Profile (from SteamDB)

• Worth: £654 (£221 with sales)
  • Games owned: 62
  • Games played: 52 (83%)
  • Hours on record: 2,980.7h

GUYS! WE FORGOT RONALD FINGER!

He does an entire series of being a newbie and restoring a vehicle. It's well done, and he has a great way of describing what he is doing, and how it works.

On 7/6/2022 at 10:53 PM, IPD said:

TIL:  The Dutch made the world's first CVT in a production car.

While the Variomatic was the first successful CVT, it was not the first continuously variable transmission.

See the Lambert friction transmission (patented 1904).

Basically a large metal friction disc was spun by the engine and a drive wheel was pressed against it at a 90 degree angle.

Depending on where the drive wheel was against the drive wheel, it gave a different drive ratio to the rear wheels.

Move the drive wheel past the center to the other side and you had reverse (something modern belt CVTs can't do - they still need a reverse gear).

I think this basic design was also used in many farm tractors and possibly other equipment.

Lambert_1906_friction_transmission.jpg

1906_Lambert_touring_car_friction_drive.png

2 hours ago, Bryan-10EC said:

While the Variomatic was the first successful CVT, it was not the first continuously variable transmission.

Basically a large metal friction disc was spun by the engine and a drive wheel was pressed against it at a 90 degree angle.

Depending on where the drive wheel was against the drive wheel, it gave a different drive ratio to the rear wheels.

Move the drive wheel past the center to the other side and you had reverse (something modern belt CVTs can't do - they still need a reverse gear).

I think this basic design was also used in many farm tractors and possibly other equipment.

That thing must smell FANTASTIC

2 hours ago, Bryan-10EC said:

I have an old Snapper mower with that kind of transmission on it.

2 hours ago, AlwaysFSX said:

That thing must smell FANTASTIC

Ever smelled a freshly destroyed Nissan CVT?

But seriously.. these things probably did wear out quickly.

But they were also extremely simple and probably an easy fix for owners doing it themselves.

Just change the friction wheel and ratio wheel.

And as far as smells go... I am sure the unsynchronized crude cog gear transmissions from this era were also quit "charismatic".

Who here has smelt a Honda CVT with fluid 30K miles or older? @vetali How would you describe that smell...? I usually choose camels ass, petting zoo, zebra vagina, etc.

8 minutes ago, Bitter said:

Who here has smelt a Honda CVT with fluid 30K miles or older? @vetali How would you describe that smell...? I usually choose camels ass, petting zoo, zebra vagina, etc.

Ever smelled hypoid gear oil?

It's disgusting and also attracts wasps for some reason.

I suspect the early to mid 1900's manual transmissions were quite smelly as they just vented fumes to the outside.

Nothing back then was sealed.

I used to work on my own cars/trucks back when I still had a good back.

being really tall and loving to drive small cars with clutch pedals takes it toll.

(very few things are worse than laying under a vehicle with a wrench and having your back freeze up)

I put clutches on two rear drive vehicles and swapped one manual transmission (I'm the only person to destroy a stock Toyota 22RE and 5 speed manual- 84 Celica GTS).

Well.. here is my list of past vehicles (the 18 RCSB 2wd 2.7 turbo F150 is my current vehicle):

Some were not voluntarily purchased (helping friends/family).

Vehicles owned (*=automatic):
Chevy: 82 Cavalier Type 10, 94 Cavalier Coupe* | Chrysler: 96 Town & Country* | Ford: 73 F100, 88 F150, 18 F150* | Jeep: 78 CJ-5 | Mazda: 83 GLC, 85 RX7 GS, 86 323, 90 323, 90 B2600i, 92 Miata, 97 Protégé, 01 B2300, 01 B3000, 04 RX8 | Nissan: 90 240SX SE | Plymouth: 88 Caravan* | Pontiac: 84 Grand Prix* | Toyota: 84 Celica GTS, 02 Tundra*

2 minutes ago, Bryan-10EC said:

Ever smelled hypoid gear oil?

It's disgusting and also attracts wasps for some reason.

I suspect the early to mid 1900's manual transmissions were quite smelly as they just vented fumes to the outside.

Nothing back then was sealed.

I used to work on my own cars/trucks back when I still had a good back.

being really tall and loving to drive small cars with clutch pedals takes it toll.

(very few things are worse than laying under a vehicle with a wrench and having your back freeze up)

I put clutches on two rear drive vehicles and swapped one manual transmission (I'm the only person to destroy a stock Toyota 22RE and 5 speed manual- 84 Celica GTS).

Well.. here is my list of past/current vehicles:

Some were not voluntarily purchased (helping friends/family).

Vehicles owned (*=automatic):
Chevy: 82 Cavalier Type 10, 94 Cavalier Coupe* | Chrysler: 96 Town & Country* | Ford: 73 F100, 88 F150, 18 F150* | Jeep: 78 CJ-5 | Mazda: 83 GLC, 85 RX7 GS, 86 323, 90 323, 90 B2600i, 92 Miata, 97 Protégé, 01 B2300, 01 B3000, 04 RX8 | Nissan: 90 240SX SE | Plymouth: 88 Caravan* | Pontiac: 84 Grand Prix* | Toyota: 84 Celica GTS, 02 Tundra*

Gear oil smells GOOD compared to used HCF and HCF-2. I'd rather sniff 100,000K mile Dexcool or Ford Yellow coolant all day long.

Just now, Bitter said:

Gear oil smells GOOD compared to used HCF and HCF-2. I'd rather sniff 100,000K mile Dexcool or Ford Yellow coolant all day long.

I guess smells can be subjective.

I really love garlic, but vampires hate it enough to miss a meal.. for example.

The only thing worse than HCF/HCF-2 was a time someone had burnt their Jeep 4.0 engine so hard by overheating that it made the whole shop reek like rotten burnt pickles and peanut butter, it's a smell that was so bad it got into my uniforms hanging in a separate room as well as my street clothes in a drawer in a different room. It permeated into other customer cars. The owners of the Jeep had parked it in their garage after roasting it so hard and said they had to hire a company to come ozone their house to get the smell out.

1 hour ago, Bitter said:

Its pretty bad, especially when they get to 100k for for their first service. One of the worst smells I can remember from a used fluid.

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 64GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Razer Deathstalker v2 / Razer Basilisk v3 Pro / Sennheiser HD 600

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / iPhone 15 Pro Max

12 minutes ago, vetali said:

Its pretty bad, especially when they get to 100k for for their first service. One of the worst smells I can remember from a used fluid.

bingo correcto. Had a 100K mile Accord in for a HCF-2 drain and fill and one of the new guys got to get a nose full of it. Saved the gallon of fluid for when the new new kid came in in the afternoon to work so he could get a sniff too. It's actually a teaching moment, sniff the old and sniff the new so you can discern old fluids from new fluids. New Nissan CVT fluid smells like teriyaki sauce, old fluid smells like rubber and burning.

I'll admit- I've never smelled HCF/HCF-2.

Googled it.. it's a special fluid just for Honda CVTs?

19 hours ago, Bryan-10EC said:

I believe most snowblowers still use this type of transmission, much to my dismay as these things always seem to slip or slide out of alignment, causing reverse 1 to be forward 1 and Reverse 3 to be "turtle ass slow backwards"

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

19 minutes ago, IPD said:

I thought snowblowers were skid steer?

Depends on the blower.

Looks like england got its entire years worth of warmth in one day

received_5601928476485633.jpeg

System specs: Core i7 9700k, Dark Rock Pro 4 , MSI Z390 PRO, 16GB CORSAIR VENGENCE DDR4 3000, EVGA GTX 1070 FTW, Corsair AX860, Seagate 1TB, Sandisk 240GB SSD, Corsair 400c

I have nothing but sympathy for you all over there, nothing is made to handle that kind of weather. I hope everyone is safe and stays safe.

1 hour ago, Bitter said:

I have nothing but sympathy for you all over there, nothing is made to handle that kind of weather. I hope everyone is safe and stays safe.

I mean its been that warm here that even we are having wildfires (albeit not as extreme)

Shits not right over here lol

Shit's not right wherever you go, it's not a localized problem

"an obvious supporter of privacy"

14 hours ago, iDeFecZx said:

Looks like england got its entire years worth of warmth in one day

Ye lemme know how much that dropped once you started moving 😛