Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

4 hours ago, Neroon said:

Huh?

That's what I saw frequently when I lived in Benelux.  BMW's.  But there were also a fair amount of cars I can't get in the lower 48--that I would have loved to have had.

1 hour ago, IPD said:

That's what I saw frequently when I lived in Benelux.  BMW's.  But there were also a fair amount of cars I can't get in the lower 48--that I would have loved to have had.

Oh yeah loads of BMWs here. It's just that I'm looking for a very specific car, and it's not a popular one.

1 hour ago, Neroon said:

Oh yeah loads of BMWs here. It's just that I'm looking for a very specific car, and it's not a popular one.

About the only BMW "rarity" i know of is finding a shooting brake in the USA.  Otherwise, they're pretty much like Porsche's to me; they all look alike (I know, blasphemy).

5 hours ago, Bitter said:

New guy taking a nap on lunch LOLOLOL

-snips-

Y’all working him to death giving him a proper greeting? XD

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

54 minutes ago, IPD said:

About the only BMW "rarity" i know of is finding a shooting brake in the USA.  Otherwise, they're pretty much like Porsche's to me; they all look alike (I know, blasphemy).

I don't disagree. Sure there are absolutely changes, usually when you compare them to 2 generations later you can see some clear changes, 3 generations and they look quite different.

This is also a strength imo. You get a nice looking E46, and it still looks great today, as in not feeling old or whatever. Sure they look a bit dated, the design is 24 years old, but they don't look it.

PS I think this red M3 is absolutely gorgeous, I mean come on, the styling of the E46 is amazing, the M3 makes it a bit sportier, and that red makes it pop.
BMW-M3-E46-4-van-36-scaled.thumb.jpg.ff97f3e9c05854b621c4512df1279bb2.jpg

For me this is also the biggest difference between the BMW E93 and Volvo C70. Both models are about 16 years old, but the Volvo looks a lot older.

To me the BMW looks still quite new, it's modern looking. Yeah it's the classic BMW styling, but it does look fresh.

BMW-3-Series-Convertible-E93-facelift-2010.thumb.jpg.3409142ad700c1cfc710f511f718848d.jpg

When we look at the prefacelift Volvo, it just looks old. Not saying it's bad, but it's a typical looking older Volvo, and Volvo itself already looks older itself,

2011022515413461.jpg.65aa3b36c6ecc9383a2844ed7876981e.jpg

You can get the facelift, and it does look a bit more youthful, I just don't know if it's an improvement.

media_0001.thumb.jpg.e0bca9f2839f148bc76bcc9af8591870.jpg

Small update to my project.

Earlier today I tested the trans to see if it works and it does.
Jacked it up, set the rear axle on jackstands with the front wheels chocked both ways (For safety) and tried it. Right now everything seems to work and I have reverse and both foward gears so that's a good sign but the real test comes later when it's driving the car itself. If there is any slippage that's when it's gonna show.
I did note a bit of a leak from the rear so a new pinion seal will have to be installed to correct that issue but the rear is quiet, no roaring or other signs of trouble so far.

I let it run for about 30-40 minutes in gear to let the trans get some heat in it and to check for leaks - Believe it or not no leaks were seen anywhere underneath aside from one right at the radiator, coming from one of the trans cooler lines and that only appeared right at the end of testing. I'll redo these connections because I am replacing the radiator and adding a trans cooler so all that will be right in the end.

With that, next thing to tackle are the brakes.

I'm approaching it in three basic steps - Run, go and stop being the basis of this.

Two of the three are OK for now, the last I will tackle before long and will be starting off with a new brake master cylinder and go from there.
Wheel cylinders, drums and shoes of course are on the list as well but only after I get the master cylinder sorted.

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana
"Whadda ya mean I ain't kind? Just not your kind"..... Megadeth
Speaking of things being "All Inclusive", Hell itself is too.

11 hours ago, Neroon said:

I don't disagree. Sure there are absolutely changes, usually when you compare them to 2 generations later you can see some clear changes, 3 generations and they look quite different.

This is also a strength imo. You get a nice looking E46, and it still looks great today, as in not feeling old or whatever. Sure they look a bit dated, the design is 24 years old, but they don't look it.

PS I think this red M3 is absolutely gorgeous, I mean come on, the styling of the E46 is amazing, the M3 makes it a bit sportier, and that red makes it pop.
BMW-M3-E46-4-van-36-scaled.thumb.jpg.ff97f3e9c05854b621c4512df1279bb2.jpg

For me this is also the biggest difference between the BMW E93 and Volvo C70. Both models are about 16 years old, but the Volvo looks a lot older.

To me the BMW looks still quite new, it's modern looking. Yeah it's the classic BMW styling, but it does look fresh.

BMW-3-Series-Convertible-E93-facelift-2010.thumb.jpg.3409142ad700c1cfc710f511f718848d.jpg

When we look at the prefacelift Volvo, it just looks old. Not saying it's bad, but it's a typical looking older Volvo, and Volvo itself already looks older itself,

2011022515413461.jpg.65aa3b36c6ecc9383a2844ed7876981e.jpg

You can get the facelift, and it does look a bit more youthful, I just don't know if it's an improvement.

media_0001.thumb.jpg.e0bca9f2839f148bc76bcc9af8591870.jpg

You're comparing styling to a VOLVO though.  Might as well be saying "this lawn-mower looks sportier than that stick over there".

18 minutes ago, IPD said:

You're comparing styling to a VOLVO though.  Might as well be saying "this lawn-mower looks sportier than that stick over there".

True. Still the cars are quite similar.

Both are large 4 seat hard top convertibles, both sport relatively quick engines, both being able to do about 6.5 secs (the Volvo has a lower tune to for emissions, Volvo themselves tuned them afterwards if people wanted) to 100kmh/62mph, both are fairly luxurious etc.

There are limited 4 seat hard top choices, and these are by far the top 2, that's why I compare them.

This is btw excluding the BMW 4 series (F33), that's like my realistic dreamcar, but those are like double in price.

5 hours ago, Neroon said:

True. Still the cars are quite similar.

Both are large 4 seat hard top convertibles, both sport relatively quick engines, both being able to do about 6.5 secs (the Volvo has a lower tune to for emissions, Volvo themselves tuned them afterwards if people wanted) to 100kmh/62mph, both are fairly luxurious etc.

There are limited 4 seat hard top choices, and these are by far the top 2, that's why I compare them.

This is btw excluding the BMW 4 series (F33), that's like my realistic dreamcar, but those are like double in price.

That's why I say that if the Rivian R1T came in hard-top convertible, it would be the most perfect vehicle ever made....

49 minutes ago, IPD said:

That's why I say that if the Rivian R1T came in hard-top convertible, it would be the most perfect vehicle ever made....

Oh yeah, that would be pretty damn sweet. 

This is why I kinda like the electric Hummer. Yeah it's way over the top etc etc, but getting a more normal version of these elements, would be fantastic.

gmc-hummer.thumb.png.1435ca8396004eb4a30ad745be953549.png

Otherwise we can just buy an Chevy SSR 😉

1657194321_comp5779717bdc377img3545-1604958222708-1638564048536@2x(2).thumb.jpg.a2921bea49ca417ea4ca81d4f5607adc.jpg

But the SSR isn't 4 passenger.  And the Hummer has manual top removal.  And the R1T already has a gear tunnel that couldn't be too difficult to repurpose into a top storage area.....

If I had money to pay someone to figure out how to make it happen......

Picked this up for $500, 40mm precision turbo, 1.8L engine, cams, head, intake, 3" stainless down pipe and exhaust and part roll cage. 400whp and I'm going to build it up stronger 

CIMG1743.jpg
CIMG1741.jpg
CIMG1740.jpg
CIMG1739.jpg
CIMG1738.jpg
CIMG1737.jpg
CIMG1736.jpg
CIMG1731.jpg
CIMG1727.jpg
CIMG1725.jpg
CIMG1721.jpg

Hardware and Overclocking Enthusiast

On 8/12/2022 at 4:03 PM, Fast_N_Curious said:

Picked this up for $500, 40mm precision turbo, 1.8L engine, cams, head, intake, 3" stainless down pipe and exhaust and part roll cage. 400whp and I'm going to build it up stronger 

You're gonna have fun with that!

My question is why was sold for as little as it was considering what it is - The previous owner had to know at least what they had and was selling in the first place, a friend maybe?

Either way, you know to check it over for what it needs and I'm guessing upping the power means going through the engine, good idea I must say.
ATM it's really an "Unknown" and that's not what you want with something like that.

I can also relate to turbo engines and the problems they can have, I used to have a 72 Pinto running a 2.3ltr factory turbo engine with a 4-speed and yes, I ran it at the strip many times, beating V6's and 8's like it was a bad habit. I ran into the usual things with it overheating, head gaskets and eventually the turbo itself going bad making it start smoking like I'd poured trans fluid in the carb, except it was oil and was losing a quart if I drove it 10 miles and that problem happened suddenly without warning.

Finally sold it because at the time I didn't have the $$ to fix it and was about to get married anyway - No regrets about it when it comes down to it.

Wish I still had it but that's life for you and you gotta live it, I'm just happy to have my little 64 Falcon Sprint Convertible project car now, which was the subject of my last post.

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana

17 minutes ago, Bitter said:

Little car meet today, everyone has a GT4 now lol.

IMG_20220813_131613.jpg

IMG_20220813_131541.jpg

That reminds me.  I wonder how Project Binky is coming along....

6 hours ago, Beerzerker said:

My question is why was sold for as little as it was considering what it is - The previous owner had to know at least what they had and was selling in the first place, a friend maybe?

Either way, you know to check it over for what it needs and I'm guessing upping the power means going through the engine, good idea I must say.
ATM it's really an "Unknown" and that's not what you want with something like that.

I can also relate to turbo engines and the problems they can have, I used to have a 72 Pinto running a 2.3ltr factory turbo engine with a 4-speed and yes, I ran it at the strip many times, beating V6's and 8's like it was a bad habit. I ran into the usual things with it overheating, head gaskets and eventually the turbo itself going bad making it start smoking like I'd poured trans fluid in the carb, except it was oil and was losing a quart if I drove it 10 miles and that problem happened suddenly without warning.

Finally sold it because at the time I didn't have the $$ to fix it and was about to get married anyway - No regrets about it when it comes down to it.

Wish I still had it but that's life for you and you gotta live it, I'm just happy to have my little 64 Falcon Sprint Convertible project car now, which was the subject of my last post.

The friend lost his license, and his mom wanted it off the property so I offered to store it here for him but he doesn't like it because it has a stage 3 clutch which is basically on/off with no slip. So obviously he didn't build the car, but whoever did did a great job, they used all the right parts and even the low compression 1.8L honda motor, which is suited for a turbo. It also has a 4K built transmission, limited slip differential and custom driveshafts, solid motor mounts, so it's ready for more. 

There are some unknowns that I will need to sort out. The fuel pump intermittently fails to prime, so I need to keep an eye on that. Also it has a gauge for oil pressure, but it's all over the place. I think the sending unit might be bad but also note when it warms up the oil pressure drops to 10psi. The motor doesn't sound bad, even when it's revved up, but I'm concerned about the rod bearings. So that's pretty much first on the list. Getting the lower end of the motor torn apart to inspect the bearings. 

If the motor needs to be gone through and rebuilt, I will do that. The car is sound enough to where I think it's worth it to invest some time effort and energy into it. 

6 hours ago, Beerzerker said:

Spent last weekend changing oil and cleaning up / re-gapping spark plugs. It runs 50% better above 5K RPM. Doesn't break up at all now (before it would hesitate and bog/sputter a little as you approached the upper RPM range. The plug gap was much too high, causing the spark to go out at high boost. Plugs are NGK 7 V-Power, and this is the right application for heat range, etc.

Automotive parking light Wheel Car Land vehicle Tire

Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive fuel system Auto part Car
I had a conversation with the original builder. He says it's a 400WHP tune at 14PSI, and I believe him now with the ignition problems resolved, it's running really good. It's VERY fast, easily 400WHP. I just need some tuning software for my laptop and I will be able to tweak and tune once I have it back on the road.

I cleaned the air filter as well (K&N style)

The plugs (visually) look really good so the A/F is pretty much dialed in and where it should be. I used 200 grit sandpaper to clean up the contact points and re-gapped to .015" I also have an A/F ratio gauge which seems to be very accurate.

Automotive tire Microphone Household hardware Audio equipment Nickel

It doesn't look like much, but it pulls really hard. 

Vehicle Motor vehicle Car Automotive design Hood

4 hours ago, Fast_N_Curious said:

Spent last weekend changing oil and cleaning up / re-gapping spark plugs. It runs 50% better above 5K RPM. Doesn't break up at all now (before it would hesitate and bog/sputter a little as you approached the upper RPM range. The plug gap was much too high, causing the spark to go out at high boost. Plugs are NGK 7 V-Power, and this is the right application for heat range, etc.

I had a conversation with the original builder. He says it's a 400WHP tune at 14PSI, and I believe him now with the ignition problems resolved, it's running really good. It's VERY fast, easily 400WHP. I just need some tuning software for my laptop and I will be able to tweak and tune once I have it back on the road.

I cleaned the air filter as well (K&N style)

The plugs (visually) look really good so the A/F is pretty much dialed in and where it should be. I used 200 grit sandpaper to clean up the contact points and re-gapped to .015" I also have an A/F ratio gauge which seems to be very accurate.

It doesn't look like much, but it pulls really hard.

Mine was the same way, looked just like your standard 4-banger Pinto, even sounded like it until I got in it hard - Then you could hear the turbo whistling and know something was up by the way it moved.
I still remember the first time I pulled up to the line at one of the local dragstrips with it, people were joking and laughing at it due to how it looked and sounded.... At first.

I mean it didn't look like much and it had that "I'm a weak little 4-banger" sound-thing going on, yes we had all kinds show up with anything from wild to just some random junk they wanted to thrash for the hell of it and mine did fit the profile of "Junk" to a "T".

I even put on a bit of a show, letting it "Stall" while warming the tires up, essentially playing to all the reaction it was getting. Restarted it, pulled up to the line and when the light was green I got in it hard.... Laughter was replaced by "Oh shit!!!" reactions and was re-enforced when it hurt 2nd and 3rd going through the gears, sounding like a pissed off bumblebee during the run.
Then I had a guy come out of the stands and challenge me.
I beat him both times we ran and everyone from that point on knew not to take it lightly. 😁

Speaking of yours, I'm glad to hear you got it running better at least.
I'd be curious how hot it gets when you do run it, mine was notorious for heating up and after I got it, dropped a V8 radiator in but it still wanted to run hot at the strip, requiring cool down time between runs.
Turbo motors are known for that anyway and mine certainly showed it.

Keep us updated on your progress.

9 hours ago, Beerzerker said:

Mine was the same way, looked just like your standard 4-banger Pinto, even sounded like it until I got in it hard - Then you could hear the turbo whistling and know something was up by the way it moved.
I still remember the first time I pulled up to the line at one of the local dragstrips with it, people were joking and laughing at it due to how it looked and sounded.... At first.

I mean it didn't look like much and it had that "I'm a weak little 4-banger" sound-thing going on, yes we had all kinds show up with anything from wild to just some random junk they wanted to thrash for the hell of it and mine did fit the profile of "Junk" to a "T".

I even put on a bit of a show, letting it "Stall" while warming the tires up, essentially playing to all the reaction it was getting. Restarted it, pulled up to the line and when the light was green I got in it hard.... Laughter was replaced by "Oh shit!!!" reactions and was re-enforced when it hurt 2nd and 3rd going through the gears, sounding like a pissed off bumblebee during the run.
Then I had a guy come out of the stands and challenge me.
I beat him both times we ran and everyone from that point on knew not to take it lightly. 😁

Speaking of yours, I'm glad to hear you got it running better at least.
I'd be curious how hot it gets when you do run it, mine was notorious for heating up and after I got it, dropped a V8 radiator in but it still wanted to run hot at the strip, requiring cool down time between runs.
Turbo motors are known for that anyway and mine certainly showed it.

Keep us updated on your progress.

You can just see the radiator in the last pic. It's half sized, but amazingly, enough it gets the job done. Never overheated since I've had it. Now at the drag strip, I don't know. Would probably need some cooldowns tho.

DId you see the front mount interecooler? It's air to air.

One of the first things I am going to do once I get the car back in shape is an air to liquid intercooler, with icebox in the trunk.

This should cool the charge air MUCH more efficiently than air to air.  I should pick up at least 25-30HP

Youtube compression really poops up my dashcam quality but at least the audio still sounds good. I'll upload the preceding video once I edit out me standing around, but you still get to hear me complain about cold brakes and tires for the first stop and initial cornering!

Welp, I've decided to retire. Not sure if its temporary or not, but right now I'm not working.

I've decided to add the 4th Porsche to the stable, in this case a 992 Sport Classic. I managed to get one of the 1,250 that will be produced, which I'm incredibly chuffed with.

It's packed with references to previous models; Has the same engine as the current 992 Turbo, green tacho like on a 550A, all rear aero is from a ducktail like many 930's, yada yada. And it's actually a manual, not a PDK!

Also paid over £200k, which isn't too pretty for a 911. Although hopefully it'll double in value eventually like the 997 Sport Classics did.

Most likely the next car will be a 914/4, as they're quirky little things that I have a weird love for.

image.thumb.png.fe88cca8d7d3df412ef29d7327c98f5f.png

LTT's Resident Porsche fanboy and nutjob Audiophile.

Main speaker setup is now;

Mini DSP SHD Studio -> 2x Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC's (fed by AES/EBU, one feeds the left sub and main, the other feeds the right side) -> 2x Neumann KH420 + 2x Neumann KH870

(Having a totally seperate DAC for each channel is game changing for sound quality)

1 minute ago, Derkoli said:

Welp, I've decided to retire. Not sure if its temporary or not, but right now I'm not working.

I've decided to add the 4th Porsche to the stable, in this case a 992 Sport Classic. I managed to get one of the 1,250 that will be produced, which I'm incredibly chuffed with.

It's packed with references to previous models; Has the same engine as the current 992 Turbo, green tacho like on a 550A, all rear aero is from a ducktail like many 930's, yada yada. And it's actually a manual, not a PDK!

Also paid over £200k, which isn't too pretty for a 911. Although hopefully it'll double in value eventually like the 997 Sport Classics did.

Most likely the next car will be a 914/4, as they're quirky little things that I have a weird love for.

image.thumb.png.fe88cca8d7d3df412ef29d7327c98f5f.png

I like Porsche but I wish their DRL LED wasn't 4 points in a square since it feels like it throws off the rest of the car which is all smooth flowing lines with hardly any sharp corners and no sharp square shapes.

7 minutes ago, Bitter said:

I like Porsche but I wish their DRL LED wasn't 4 points in a square since it feels like it throws off the rest of the car which is all smooth flowing lines with hardly any sharp corners and no sharp square shapes.

Eh, I tend to find they look a bit better IRL as the covers are slightly translucent. I don't really mind them.

I just find they're a nice common feature among the 992's. Even the new GT3 RS has them. Atleast it does on the leaked images.

298763799_537022278224750_8604497445428235064_n.jpg

Also the prototype wing with DRS made it to production, which is amazing.

298765792_431478752275968_4939151393001248535_n.jpg

LTT's Resident Porsche fanboy and nutjob Audiophile.

Main speaker setup is now;

Mini DSP SHD Studio -> 2x Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC's (fed by AES/EBU, one feeds the left sub and main, the other feeds the right side) -> 2x Neumann KH420 + 2x Neumann KH870

(Having a totally seperate DAC for each channel is game changing for sound quality)

2 minutes ago, Derkoli said:

Eh, I tend to find they look a bit better IRL as the covers are slightly translucent. I don't really mind them.

I see plenty in person on other Porsche and it's my only styling nit-pick about them....except for when a Porsche has too many doors!