Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

7 minutes ago, Bitter said:

I see plenty in person on other Porsche and it's my only styling nit-pick about them....except for when a Porsche has too many doors!

Hey hey hey, leave the Taycan and Panamera alone. They're fine. Me and my girlfriend own two Taycans, and they're bloody amazing. Especially the Turbo S.

But the SUV's? Blegh. No. Weird bricks with Lamborghini DNA. No. Bad.

LTT's Resident Porsche fanboy and nutjob Audiophile.

Main speaker setup is now;

Mini DSP SHD Studio -> 2x Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC's (fed by AES/EBU, one feeds the left sub and main, the other feeds the right side) -> 2x Neumann KH420 + 2x Neumann KH870

(Having a totally seperate DAC for each channel is game changing for sound quality)

21 minutes ago, Derkoli said:

Hey hey hey, leave the Taycan and Panamera alone. They're fine. Me and my girlfriend own two Taycans, and they're bloody amazing. Especially the Turbo S.

But the SUV's? Blegh. No. Weird bricks with Lamborghini DNA. No. Bad.

Actually saw a Taycan tonight with the ceramic brakes that for sure cost more than my house.

13 minutes ago, Bitter said:

Actually saw a Taycan tonight with the ceramic brakes that for sure cost more than my house.

Were the calipers white or yellow? I'm yet to see the PSCB's in person.

For the Taycan Turbo S, the PCCB's are fitted from the factory, but it's £581 to get them in black.

For the 4s, they're about 2000 for the PSCB's, and 2600 for the PCCB's, from memory. Which isn't too bad considering how much longer they last, and how much less dust they produce.

Mini DSP SHD Studio -> 2x Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC's (fed by AES/EBU, one feeds the left sub and main, the other feeds the right side) -> 2x Neumann KH420 + 2x Neumann KH870

(Having a totally seperate DAC for each channel is game changing for sound quality)

1 minute ago, Derkoli said:

Were the calipers white or yellow? I'm yet to see the PSCB's in person.

For the Taycan Turbo S, the PCCB's are fitted from the factory, but it's £581 to get them in black.

For the 4s, they're about 2000 for the PSCB's, and 2600 for the PCCB's, from memory. Which isn't too bad considering how much longer they last, and how much less dust they produce.

Yellow and huge. I assumed they were ceramic brakes, they looked darker than cast iron rotors and took up the whole wheel inner diameter.

1 minute ago, Bitter said:

Yellow and huge. I assumed they were ceramic brakes, they looked darker than cast iron rotors and took up the whole wheel inner diameter.

Yeah thats the PCCB's. They're brilliant brakes, and well worth the upgrade, especially on the Taycan. Adds to the feeling of the whole vehicle being "clean"

It also actually lets the car stop before you get into trouble, which you often could with a claimed 761 hp, which in Porsche numbers means its probably about 800-820 hp, as they tend to severely under-report performance figures.

Such as with my 911 Turbo S, which porsche says will do 0-60MPH in 2.6 seconds. In reality, it'll do 0-60MPH in 2.1 seconds on an unprepared surface/normal tarmac.

2 minutes ago, Derkoli said:

Yeah thats the PCCB's. They're brilliant brakes, and well worth the upgrade, especially on the Taycan. Adds to the feeling of the whole vehicle being "clean"

It also actually lets the car stop before you get into trouble, which you often could with a claimed 761 hp, which in Porsche numbers means its probably about 800-820 hp, as they tend to severely under-report performance figures.

Such as with my 911 Turbo S, which porsche says will do 0-60MPH in 2.6 seconds. In reality, it'll do 0-60MPH in 2.1 seconds on an unprepared surface/normal tarmac.

And here I am content with something doing 60-0 in like 90 feet on the street with stock brakes and 200 treadwear tires, I can't imagine how fast those haul to a stop!

10 minutes ago, Bitter said:

And here I am content with something doing 60-0 in like 90 feet on the street with stock brakes and 200 treadwear tires, I can't imagine how fast those haul to a stop!

I think my 911 will do 60-0 in something like 93 feet. But it isn't meant to be a lightweight track 911 like a GT3 RS is.

The main advantage to the PCCB's is that they're extremely consistent, they essentially never fade, work brilliantly in all temperatures, last forever and weigh alot less than basic iron discs.

And of course with less weight, you get less unsprung mass, so better handling.

I'll always buy Porsche just because of the handling. I couldn't give a damn if they're slower in a straight line than something else.

Granted, they're faster in a straight line aswell as around a corner than basically anything else, but yeah.

1 minute ago, Derkoli said:

I think my 911 will do 60-0 in something like 93 feet. But it isn't meant to be a lightweight track 911 like a GT3 RS is.

The main advantage to the PCCB's is that they're extremely consistent, they essentially never fade, work brilliantly in all temperatures, last forever and weigh alot less than basic iron discs.

I mean I'm in no Porsche, just sticky tires and good pads with un-intrusive 22yr old ABS from Toyota. Cars are fun, slow-car-fast is my favorite, I think once you hit a certain power level it's hard to really use it all and have fun with it regularly but damned if I wouldn't still enjoy having that kind of speed and power.

Just now, Bitter said:

I mean I'm in no Porsche, just sticky tires and good pads with un-intrusive 22yr old ABS from Toyota. Cars are fun, slow-car-fast is my favorite, I think once you hit a certain power level it's hard to really use it all and have fun with it regularly but damned if I wouldn't still enjoy having that kind of speed and power.

I think the only time I've ever really gone full throttle in any of my cars is of course when I first got them, and then a few times to escape nasty situations.

Of course I stamp it a bit when joining motorways, but yeah. 60 mph motorways in cornwall aren't great for using power, but the little twisty roads are brilliant for exploiting handling.

I have taken my Turbo S to Germany recently, and the autobahns are incredibly fun. Tapping 200mph with a flat-6 doing 7k+ RPM right behind you is terrifying.

My first car was actually a Toyota! I had a little 2003 MR2 that I found for pretty cheap. Brilliant little car.

What did I buy (yesterday) ?

Replaced a broken servo motor that controls the hot/cold air mixture on my Porsche 964. 

The car was blowing hot air regardless of how I set the temperature on my CCU. 

@Derkoli Nice to see another Porsche enthusiast on LTT. 

The broken servo motor: 

image.thumb.jpeg.8ad2dcfdb74fbfc8c81a399213d7ad1a.jpeg

My car: image.thumb.jpeg.d53db349b36f05047cc5593a947b54f7.jpeg

CPU: i9 9900K   Cooler: NH-D15   RAM: Kingston Fury 4 x 8GB 3600MHz CL17   Mobo: ASUS ROG Strix Z390-F   GPU: ASUS 3080 TUF   Case: In Win D-Frame   PSU: Corsair HX850i   Storage: 250GB Samsung 970 EVO NVMe (OS), 500GB Samsung 970 EVO NVMe (Games), 2TB Crucial BX500 SSD (Storage)   Monitor: Samsung Odyssey Neo G9. 

Holy shit.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

34 minutes ago, Levent said:

Holy shit.

Hell no.  I don't trust other drivers on open roads.  Even if they are German.

I left the Touareg on the battery tender all weekend. Mainly so i knew the batt was charged because with that fan running at max speed for 5 mins after I turn it off; I’d assume it’s prob not great for the battery.

fired it up this morning and was never greeted with max speed radiator fan. Weird. Thought it had died, but nope it warmed up fine and stayed at temp, and rad fan ran at normal, lower speeds.

LOL “open or short to ground” my butt. Prob just need to throw a battery at the car. I thought if it would be a battery issue then I’d have issues all over the place but apparently that’s not the case.

anyone need a $300 radiator fan for a touareg?? Lol 😂 

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

4 hours ago, Levent said:

Holy shit.

I didn't know F1 had homologation like WRC!

9 hours ago, Boyohan said:

What did I buy (yesterday) ?

Replaced a broken servo motor that controls the hot/cold air mixture on my Porsche 964. 

The car was blowing hot air regardless of how I set the temperature on my CCU. 

@Derkoli Nice to see another Porsche enthusiast on LTT.

Ooo, a Carrera 2.

Does it have the manual or tiptronic transmission?

I've been itching for a 964 or 930 for a while..

8 hours ago, Derkoli said:

Ooo, a Carrera 2.

Does it have the manual or tiptronic transmission?

I've been itching for a 964 or 930 for a while..

It's a manual of course. 

A car like this should have a manual transmission in my opinion.

CPU: i9 9900K   Cooler: NH-D15   RAM: Kingston Fury 4 x 8GB 3600MHz CL17   Mobo: ASUS ROG Strix Z390-F   GPU: ASUS 3080 TUF   Case: In Win D-Frame   PSU: Corsair HX850i   Storage: 250GB Samsung 970 EVO NVMe (OS), 500GB Samsung 970 EVO NVMe (Games), 2TB Crucial BX500 SSD (Storage)   Monitor: Samsung Odyssey Neo G9. 

22 minutes ago, Boyohan said:

A car like this should have a manual transmission

not when you're in traffic

With all the Trolls, Try Hards, Noobs and Weirdos around here you'd think i'd find SOMEWHERE to fit in!

14 minutes ago, SimplyChunk said:

not when you're in traffic

As this isn't my daily driver I am very rarely stuck in traffic with this car. 

8 hours ago, Boyohan said:

It's a manual of course. 

A car like this should have a manual transmission in my opinion.

I do agree that older 911's should have a manual. I do love Porsche, but the tiptronics weren't exactly ideal.

However, I quite enjoy chucking my PDK into automatic mode, just for cruising around. Automatics certainly have a use case in a 911.

56 minutes ago, Derkoli said:

I do agree that older 911's should have a manual. I do love Porsche, but the tiptronics weren't exactly ideal.

However, I quite enjoy chucking my PDK into automatic mode, just for cruising around. Automatics certainly have a use case in a 911.

A modern day PDK is great and very different compared to the old tiptronic. 

When I drove a friends 981 GTS the PDK transmission was both smooth and fast. 

I drove a 2008 Smart Fourtwo today and WOW WHAT A TRANSMISSION! An armless man with no legs could shift better. Middle of every turn it shifts 1-2 and takes a whole fucking second to do it and you've just got nothing for that second like someone turned the car off.

21 hours ago, Bitter said:

I drove a 2008 Smart Fourtwo today and WOW WHAT A TRANSMISSION!

Oh wow this is gonna be a really positive opinion-

21 hours ago, Bitter said:

An armless man with no legs could shift better

Oh. 

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

New GT3 RS 🥳

https://newsroom.porsche.com/en/2022/products/porsche-911-gt3-rs-world-premiere-29177.html

Updates include;

Bump up to 525 PS/517 HP from a 4L NA flat-6

860KG of downforce at top speed (double that of the 991.2 GT3 RS and Mercedes AMG GT Black Series)

408mm front rotors, 380mm rear

Still RWD and PDK only

Active DRS on rear wing and front splitter, wing can act as an airbrake

21.1 MPG

MSRP of £178,500 inc VAT

Looks like another Nürburgring lap record is on the books?

22 hours ago, Derkoli said:

MSRP of £178,500 inc VAT

How many macans and taycans do I have to buy in order for my local Porsche centre to allow me to be added to the list?

Needs money for car parts :P

System specs: Core i7 9700k, Dark Rock Pro 4 , MSI Z390 PRO, 16GB CORSAIR VENGENCE DDR4 3000, EVGA GTX 1070 FTW, Corsair AX860, Seagate 1TB, Sandisk 240GB SSD, Corsair 400c

My Steam Profile (from SteamDB)

• Worth: £654 (£221 with sales)
  • Games owned: 62
  • Games played: 52 (83%)
  • Hours on record: 2,980.7h

1 hour ago, iDeFecZx said:

How many macans and taycans do I have to buy in order for my local Porsche centre to allow me to be added to the list?

Basically anyone can be added to the list if you've done stuff with the dealership before. The more you've done with them, the higher up the waitlist you are.

Porsche just wants to stop people who aren't actually car people from getting the GT3 and GT3 RS's as people kept buying the 991.1 GT3 and then flipping it without driving it for 50-100k more than MSRP.

I'm on the waitlist for the new 992 GT3 RS, just called up my dealership in Exeter and asked to be placed on it after sending off my "porsche code" (just the config for the vehicle)

They're also attempting to stop people from paying more than MSRP just to get the vehicle, as people kept paying 50-100k more than MSRP just for the brand new vehicle from the dealership.

I mean the 991 GT3 RS still goes for 250k used, when it had an MSRP of about 190k.