Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

9 minutes ago, IPD said:

But I don't like the "barebones" look where you get extreme distortion at times.

The only ones that would have a bad distortion are the front and rear cameras. But you can easily use 2 hidden in the cooling grill/license plate lightning so you can use cameras with less distortion. Even factory solutions have distortion so i dont think its a huge deal.

Tbh car tech has gone far enough that the things they add at this point I just view as another thing to break.

my backup camera breaks, I just use the car without a backup camera because no sense in spending $500 to fix what in reality is a $40 camera. 

i just want my daily driver to work, do everything I need it to do, and be comfortable lol… that’s it really 

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

If you all aren't using UV lights as part of your vehicle inspections you should be! This coolant was dried and invisible in normal light. Looks like the W2A exchanger is leaking sometimes on the Saleen. It's blown back onto the engine and everything behind it.

IMG_20220808_111145.jpg

IMG_20220808_111118.jpg

On 8/7/2022 at 12:25 PM, bcredeur97 said:

Tbh car tech has gone far enough that the things they add at this point I just view as another thing to break.

my backup camera breaks, I just use the car without a backup camera because no sense in spending $500 to fix what in reality is a $40 camera. 

i just want my daily driver to work, do everything I need it to do, and be comfortable lol… that’s it really 

Agreed.  Unfortunately, now they are designing cars around these achilles heel's.  So now you have massive blindspots and whatnot--because you're expected to be reliant upon the cameras for visibility.  And no, regulations for impact protection don't help--so you end up with a window sill that starts where your collarbone is.

Man I'm sad... found basically the ideal BMW E93, looks great, solid mileage, price a little over what I would like to pay, but still acceptable. Checked the license plate (they are fixed to the car here, and you can some of it's history), guess what... they mislabeled it. It's a 328i instead of a 330i. This might not seem major, but it's 7.6 instead 6.5 sec to 100kmh/62mph and the sound is definitely different.

I've been looking for this car for like 1,5 year now, and there is always something I don't like, but this felt like the 'perfect' one...

6 hours ago, Neroon said:

Man I'm sad... found basically the ideal BMW E93, looks great, solid mileage, price a little over what I would like to pay, but still acceptable. Checked the license plate (they are fixed to the car here, and you can some of it's history), guess what... they mislabeled it. It's a 328i instead of a 330i. This might not seem major, but it's 7.6 instead 6.5 sec to 100kmh/62mph and the sound is definitely different.

I've been looking for this car for like 1,5 year now, and there is always something I don't like, but this felt like the 'perfect' one...

I had to re-read. I thought you were saying the BMW factory mislabeled a 328i as a 330i LOL
I wonder if that has ever happened..

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

12 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

I had to re-read. I thought you were saying the BMW factory mislabeled a 328i as a 330i LOL
I wonder if that has ever happened..

Yeah the seller mislabeled it. Though I think it's an issue with the website, afaik it fills in the info when you add it's license plate (like weight, age, door count etc etc), because I've seen this happen a bunch of times.

1 hour ago, Neroon said:

Yeah the seller mislabeled it. Though I think it's an issue with the website, afaik it fills in the info when you add it's license plate (like weight, age, door count etc etc), because I've seen this happen a bunch of times.

To be fair, BMW is generally a brand people buy because of "image" and "status"--not because they are car people and passionate about them.  That's why you usually see an over-representation of them on "Customer States" and other "Just Rolled In" compilations.

Just a PSA y'all.

Dont wrap your Ferrari because you are apperantly changing aerodynamics of your car so much with a film wrap that it voids your warranty.

Lmao.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

1 hour ago, Levent said:

Just a PSA y'all.

Dont wrap your Ferrari because you are apperantly changing aerodynamics of your car so much with a film wrap that it voids your warranty.

Lmao.

Ferrari are just money hungry cunts living off a legendary name ... will void any warranty for just using the car.

On 8/7/2022 at 5:25 PM, DANK_AS_gay said:

All of the superchargers advertise a 45% or about that much increase anyways, I am looking for roughly 25% to not blow anything up.

A cold air intake would be pointless, and add almost nothing for 500$+. An exhaust would be loud and pointless without an intake anyways, and would be 1k$ for like 5hp. Obviously modifying this car is a lesson in futility.

Disappointing. I thought that there would be people modifying the Fit, and when I found out the engine was in the civic too, I REALLY thought there might be something out there.

for a naturally aspirated engine, usually, adding a turbo or a supercharger gets the biggest power increase for the lowest amount of money.

Modifying cars also usually takes a hit on reliability, which for a daily imo is not the smartest.

In this scenario, if you want more power, id genuinely just sell the car you have now and buy something with more power or less weight ... or both.

Mobo - Asus Maximus VI Formula Ram - Kingston HyperX Fury 1866mhz CL10 16GBCPU - Intel i7 4790K ;

GPU - Gainward RTX 2070 Phantom ; PSU - Corsair RM750x Cooler - CM Hyper 212 EVO

Not sure what’s wrong yet but I broke the Touareg! 

The radiator fan is turning on… at max speed as soon as I open one of the doors lol 

and it stays on max speed the entire time you drive and then when you park it it stays on for a good few mins after leaving it 

Idle also seems a little lumpy-er than usual. no dash lights or anything so gotta break out the diag cable 

wish me luck 😂

Spoiler

So uhh this will be a fun one 63441A42-4544-4997-BC09-548B7F168432.jpeg.85c8651bd5b2ba254b9e5cc7181d13ec.jpeg

Sorry pic is sideways idk why the forum is rotating it lol 

Spoiler

Probably a failed fan control module, used to see those very often on the VW New Beetles and a few other VAG products. Aftermarket modules are 100% shit show useless junkinium grade garbage too, or they were back then. When the module fails or throws any problems it just defaults to MAX POWER as a failsafe mode...except when it burns up and smokes the connector/wiring and module then the fans just don't run at all. And the neat thing is, running at 100% all the time will definitely cause the connector/harness and module to burn up resulting in 100% 0% fan operation LOL!

Are those the ones that have the module on the fan?

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 32GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Logitech G815 / Logitech G502 / Sennheiser HD 599

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / S23 Ultra

57 minutes ago, Bitter said:

Probably a failed fan control module, used to see those very often on the VW New Beetles and a few other VAG products. Aftermarket modules are 100% shit show useless junkinium grade garbage too, or they were back then. When the module fails or throws any problems it just defaults to MAX POWER as a failsafe mode...except when it burns up and smokes the connector/wiring and module then the fans just don't run at all. And the neat thing is, running at 100% all the time will definitely cause the connector/harness and module to burn up resulting in 100% 0% fan operation LOL!

41 minutes ago, vetali said:

Are those the ones that have the module on the fan?

I'm not sure. I'm trying to locate the module itself in the service manual and having a hard time. I do know it's marked as "J293" on the wiring diagram. 
image.thumb.png.e08c851ec089ebd5936e9474ad775068.png

And I have a pic of a rad fan assembly from a junkyard, but I'm not 100% certain that I'm also looking at the module and not just the motor
image.png.0ad691104e8c6399bb8f374b6de85606.png

The rad fan is really easy to unplug -- i should see the module go missing if I unplug it right? Is that a good theory to test? LOL

Spoiler

Looking deeper at the wiring diagram -- the radiator fan (VX57) and control module (J293) are labeled on the same block on the far left side -- that might very well mean they are the same thing and I need to order an entire fan assembly? 

Luckily it seems pretty easy to do:
image.png.3c320608a65dd3def368f529f184c83d.png

Spoiler

5 hours ago, IPD said:

To be fair, BMW is generally a brand people buy because of "image" and "status"--not because they are car people and passionate about them.  That's why you usually see an over-representation of them on "Customer States" and other "Just Rolled In" compilations.

Not sure I get you.

I'm talking about the website not working properly. License plate is connection to the vin here, so when a seller enters the license plate on that site, it should give pretty much all the info. It correctly shows most of the data, but not the exact model. Considering I've seen this happen many times, I have to assume this a problem with the site.

The seller is a garage, and they generally get loads of cars, and they probably overlooked it. The car doesn't have a 328 badge.

2 minutes ago, Neroon said:

Not sure I get you.

I'm talking about the website not working properly. License plate is connection to the vin here, so when a seller enters the license plate on that site, it should give pretty much all the info. It correctly shows most of the data, but not the exact model. Considering I've seen this happen many times, I have to assume this a problem with the site.

The seller is a garage, and they generally get loads of cars, and they probably overlooked it. The car doesn't have a 328 badge.

I mean that the previous owner might not know/care either.

@bcredeur97

Unplug to see if comms to module is lost is a solid way to check, yeah.

If it makes you feel any better I finally got time to change out my seized up wheel cylinder only to find that the leading brake shoe is delaminating and the oil pan is leaking so I get to do that shit next week, fun fun. Now I'm too tired to work on my Celica, but I did manage to get one ballast replaced and that headlight assembled and dropped into but not bolted down to the car. I'll screw with the other side tomorrow and try to get the bumper on Friday probably, fuck my car meet on Saturday I guess.

14 minutes ago, Bitter said:

@bcredeur97

Unplug to see if comms to module is lost is a solid way to check, yeah.

If it makes you feel any better I finally got time to change out my seized up wheel cylinder only to find that the leading brake shoe is delaminating and the oil pan is leaking so I get to do that shit next week, fun fun. Now I'm too tired to work on my Celica, but I did manage to get one ballast replaced and that headlight assembled and dropped into but not bolted down to the car. I'll screw with the other side tomorrow and try to get the bumper on Friday probably, fuck my car meet on Saturday I guess.

Your celica is really clean, but still can't escape the old car problems huh? 

I'll try that and see to confirm, but the more I look at it, it seems there's really nothing to that circuit other than the whole fan unit itself so I think ordering a new one is a pretty safe bet. I'd like to get the part quickly but just don't want to replace things and it still be broken lol

I'll have to drive it tomorrow, but I'll prob borrow my parent's volvo while I wait for parts. The miata is uhhh... sitting. It needs some love. Lots of old car problems there probably 😕 

Spoiler

26 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

Your celica is really clean, but still can't escape the old car problems huh? 

I'll try that and see to confirm, but the more I look at it, it seems there's really nothing to that circuit other than the whole fan unit itself so I think ordering a new one is a pretty safe bet. I'd like to get the part quickly but just don't want to replace things and it still be broken lol

I'll have to drive it tomorrow, but I'll prob borrow my parent's volvo while I wait for parts. The miata is uhhh... sitting. It needs some love. Lots of old car problems there probably 😕 

I mean a ballast from 17ish years ago failing isn't hugely unexpected, the car itself is 22yrs old so clean or not parts get old. Radiator replacement was a preventative measure as were the hoses, things don't last forever. For what it's worth the radiator itself looked fine when I pulled it out, no brown spots or soft areas in the plastics. The hoses were certainly getting soft with age but nothing drastic either. I had the down time to do it so I figured better safe than sorry, right?

7 hours ago, IPD said:

I mean that the previous owner might not know/care either.

I mean the second the car was sold to the dealer, it had to have shown it was a 328. But when they put this stuff up, they just put in the license plate, attach pictures, add their little info story and hit send.

Anyway it's a real shame, I've been looking for a nice one for such a long time, they are quite rare, even though I live in the Netherlands, but there are only like 7 330s listed here (convertibles).

I'm also looking at Volvo's, and while it's a great car, arguably the better choice (though it's full consumption is worse, and it's heavier), my preference is a 330, not just it looks, but sound as well. The 330 sounds amazing.

1 hour ago, Neroon said:

I mean the second the car was sold to the dealer, it had to have shown it was a 328. But when they put this stuff up, they just put in the license plate, attach pictures, add their little info story and hit send.

Anyway it's a real shame, I've been looking for a nice one for such a long time, they are quite rare, even though I live in the Netherlands, but there are only like 7 330s listed here (convertibles).

I'm also looking at Volvo's, and while it's a great car, arguably the better choice (though it's full consumption is worse, and it's heavier), my preference is a 330, not just it looks, but sound as well. The 330 sounds amazing.

BMW's are Ford Taurus's over in Nederland/Deutschland...

4 hours ago, IPD said:

Huh?

7 hours ago, IPD said:

Junk and everywhere?