Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

10 minutes ago, TVwazhere said:

They clearly just wanna go faster if they're posting a speed. Would have said fuel economy otherwise...

image.png.d906a651c510c332df72bc6df2045840.png

Yea, I just want to hit above 300. I have the car and only drive it once every 2 weeks or so, so try enjoy it when I do.

Gaming Machine: CPU: AMD 7950x cooled by a Custom Watercooling Loop| CASE: Lian Li Dynamic Evo | MOBO: X670E Asus Crosshair Extreme RAM: 64B DDR4 G.Skill 6000mhz ram | GPU: AMD 7900 XTX PSU: Corsair RM1000x with cablemod cables SSD's: 2TB Seagate 530, 4TB Seagate 530, 1TB WD SN850 | Monitors: 38" Acer X38P Predator| Mouse: Logitech G903 and Powerplay matt | KEYBOARD: Steelseries Apex mini pro | HEADSET: Logitech G935 Wireless Headset

| Pics of my rig |

Linux Machine: CPU: AMD 5950x cooled by a Custom Watercooling Loop| CASE: Phantek Evolv X | MOBO: X570 Asus Crosshair VIII Extreme RAM: 64GB DDR4 Crucial Ballistix 3600mhz ram | GPU: AMD 6900XT PSU: Corsair AX1200 with custom white sleeved Cables  SSD's: 1Tb Seagate 530 & 2Tb Seagate 530 & 2Tb KC3000 | Monitors: 38" Acer X38P Predator | Mouse: Logitech G903 and Powerplay matt | KEYBOARD: Steelseries Apex Pro| HEADSET: Logitech G935 Wireless Headset

| Pics of my rig |

Basement Machine: CPU: AMD 5950x cooled by a Custom Watercooling Loop| CASE: Thermaltake Core Pro 3 | MOBO: X570 Gigabyte Xtreme RAM: 64GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600mhz ram | GPU: Rtx 3080 Ti PSU: Corsair RM1000x  SSD's: 1Tb Crucial P3 Plus & 2Tb SN850 & 2Tb KC3000 | Monitors: 32" 1440p monitor | Mouse: Logitech G903 and Powerplay matt | KEYBOARD: Das Ultimate| HEADSET: Logitech G935 Wireless Headset

6 minutes ago, GimmeGaming said:

Yea, I just want to hit above 300. I have the car and only drive it once every 2 weeks or so, so try enjoy it when I do.

Track days?

"an obvious supporter of privacy"

1 hour ago, GimmeGaming said:

I was wondering do any of you on here know if it would be possible to get a taller 5th and 6th gear in a Mk7 Golf R manual? I was out for a casual drive last Sunday and when I hit 280km/h (Speedo)/ 272km/h (GPS) my car ran out of gearing while I was on the motorway. I'd be hoping to get over 300 if this is possible before I look into an RS3 as a replacement?

Entirely possible, yes. Stock gearing runs out at around 289kph at the redline so about where you saw. However I don't know of anyone who makes an off-the-shelf taller 6th for the 7R so you'd be looking at something custom, or maybe lifted from elsewhere in the VW lineup (I know people used to put diesel 6th gears in the Mk4s for higher top speed).

I would also suspect that you might find you have a power deficit to push much higher than you've seen unless you're already running ~400+bhp.

2 minutes ago, JoaoPRSousa said:

Track days?

It's exceptionally rare to get anywhere near VMAX on a track day, there are so few tracks with long enough straights. IME you end up spending almost all of your time under about 120 even on fairly large, fast, open tracks like Silverstone regardless of how powerful the car you're driving is.

[ P R O J E C T _ M E L L I F E R A ]

[ 5900X @4.7GHz PBO2 | X570S Aorus Pro | 32GB GSkill Trident Z 3600MHz CL16 | EK-Quantum Reflection ]
[ ASUS RTX4080 TUF OC @3000MHz | O11D-XL | HardwareLabs GTS and GTX 360mm | XSPC D5 SATA ]

[ TechN / Phanteks G40 Blocks | Corsair AX750 | ROG Swift PG279Q | Q-Acoustics 2010i | Sabaj A4 ]

P R O J E C T | S A N D W A S P

6900K | RTX2080 | 32GB DDR4-3000 | Custom Loop 

4 minutes ago, JoaoPRSousa said:

Track days?

Just motorway driving.

Gaming Machine: CPU: AMD 7950x cooled by a Custom Watercooling Loop| CASE: Lian Li Dynamic Evo | MOBO: X670E Asus Crosshair Extreme RAM: 64B DDR4 G.Skill 6000mhz ram | GPU: AMD 7900 XTX PSU: Corsair RM1000x with cablemod cables SSD's: 2TB Seagate 530, 4TB Seagate 530, 1TB WD SN850 | Monitors: 38" Acer X38P Predator| Mouse: Logitech G903 and Powerplay matt | KEYBOARD: Steelseries Apex mini pro | HEADSET: Logitech G935 Wireless Headset

| Pics of my rig |

Linux Machine: CPU: AMD 5950x cooled by a Custom Watercooling Loop| CASE: Phantek Evolv X | MOBO: X570 Asus Crosshair VIII Extreme RAM: 64GB DDR4 Crucial Ballistix 3600mhz ram | GPU: AMD 6900XT PSU: Corsair AX1200 with custom white sleeved Cables  SSD's: 1Tb Seagate 530 & 2Tb Seagate 530 & 2Tb KC3000 | Monitors: 38" Acer X38P Predator | Mouse: Logitech G903 and Powerplay matt | KEYBOARD: Steelseries Apex Pro| HEADSET: Logitech G935 Wireless Headset

| Pics of my rig |

Basement Machine: CPU: AMD 5950x cooled by a Custom Watercooling Loop| CASE: Thermaltake Core Pro 3 | MOBO: X570 Gigabyte Xtreme RAM: 64GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600mhz ram | GPU: Rtx 3080 Ti PSU: Corsair RM1000x  SSD's: 1Tb Crucial P3 Plus & 2Tb SN850 & 2Tb KC3000 | Monitors: 32" 1440p monitor | Mouse: Logitech G903 and Powerplay matt | KEYBOARD: Das Ultimate| HEADSET: Logitech G935 Wireless Headset

3 minutes ago, HM-2 said:

Entirely possible, yes. Stock gearing runs out at around 289kph at the redline so about where you saw. However I don't know of anyone who makes an off-the-shelf taller 6th for the 7R so you'd be looking at something custom, or maybe lifted from elsewhere in the VW lineup (I know people used to put diesel 6th gears in the Mk4s for higher top speed).

I would also suspect that you might find you have a power deficit to push much higher than you've seen unless you're already running ~400+bhp.

It's exceptionally rare to get anywhere near VMAX on a track day, there are so few tracks with long enough straights. IME you end up spending almost all of your time under about 120 even on fairly large, fast, open tracks like Silverstone regardless of how powerful the car you're driving is.

I do motorway driving with the car mostly so its very easy to do 250+ each time I'm out.

I think the 289 is for the auto, they have slightly taller gears. Last dyno was 405 but I went from Apr to a Revo tune so it is probably down on that now as they are known as a safer tune. I have it scheduled to get a few more mods when corona lockdown ends.

I wonder could you do the same with mk7 diesels gearbox's.

I wouldn't know where to get it done custom but if could get it done, I might be interested in it.

| Pics of my rig |

| Pics of my rig |

12 minutes ago, HM-2 said:

He was saying "I just want to enjoy the car as much as I can", track days would be solid for that. I know for a fact hitting VMAX is exceptionally rare wherever it may be anyway.

"an obvious supporter of privacy"

4 minutes ago, GimmeGaming said:

I do motorway driving with the car mostly so its very easy to do 250+ each time I'm out.

I think the 289 is for the auto, they have slightly taller gears. Last dyno was 405 but I went from Apr to a Revo tune so it is probably down on that now as they are known as a safer tune. I have it scheduled to get a few more mods when corona lockdown ends.

I wonder could you do the same with mk7 diesels gearbox's.

I wouldn't know where to get it done custom but if could get it done, I might be interested in it.

ok i might be the only one thinking this.
But id rather invest into trackdays ... than a custom 6th gear to reach 300kmh, Especially with the Mk7 Golf R as its really a surprisingly good car for the track

Mobo - Asus Maximus VI Formula Ram - Kingston HyperX Fury 1866mhz CL10 16GBCPU - Intel i7 4790K ;

GPU - Gainward RTX 2070 Phantom ; PSU - Corsair RM750x Cooler - CM Hyper 212 EVO

11 minutes ago, PandaCopyRight said:

ok i might be the only one thinking this.
But id rather invest into trackdays ... than a custom 6th gear to reach 300kmh, Especially with the Mk7 Golf R as its really a surprisingly good car for the track

I live about 1km away from a decent motorway, I wouldn't even know where the nearest track is.

| Pics of my rig |

| Pics of my rig |

3 minutes ago, GimmeGaming said:

I live about 1km away from a decent motorway, I wouldn't even know where the nearest track is.

in my eyes that would be the best thing to start with ... research some of the local tracks and check when they have trackdays that you could enter.

Mobo - Asus Maximus VI Formula Ram - Kingston HyperX Fury 1866mhz CL10 16GBCPU - Intel i7 4790K ;

GPU - Gainward RTX 2070 Phantom ; PSU - Corsair RM750x Cooler - CM Hyper 212 EVO

42 minutes ago, GimmeGaming said:

I think the 289 is for the auto, they have slightly taller gears.

Hmm looks like you're right; I'd assumed as it was 6 speed figures it was manual but forgotten the pre-FL DSG cars were 6-speed as opposed to 7-speed. Looking again it looks like 270 for the manual.

Looking at TDi specs 6th is definitely longer (0.72 versus 0.91) but i have no idea if it would even be feasible.

1 hour ago, JoaoPRSousa said:

He was saying "I just want to enjoy the car as much as I can", track days would be solid for that. I know for a fact hitting VMAX is exceptionally rare wherever it may be anyway.

Ah sorry misunderstood, my mistake.

[ P R O J E C T _ M E L L I F E R A ]

[ 5900X @4.7GHz PBO2 | X570S Aorus Pro | 32GB GSkill Trident Z 3600MHz CL16 | EK-Quantum Reflection ]
[ ASUS RTX4080 TUF OC @3000MHz | O11D-XL | HardwareLabs GTS and GTX 360mm | XSPC D5 SATA ]

[ TechN / Phanteks G40 Blocks | Corsair AX750 | ROG Swift PG279Q | Q-Acoustics 2010i | Sabaj A4 ]

P R O J E C T | S A N D W A S P

6900K | RTX2080 | 32GB DDR4-3000 | Custom Loop 

anyone here know how much it would cost to import a car from Japan to Canada?

1 minute ago, tank234 said:

anyone here know how much it would cost to import a car from Japan to Canada?

From what I've been told, only 1-2K CAD, i saw someone comparing buying and importing a car from japan to Canada vs buying local about four days ago on Instagram and the price savings was around $5k CAD. I think it was for a Nissan Skyline but I'm double checking with them to confirm all the details

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

1 minute ago, TVwazhere said:

From what I've been told, only 1-2K CAD, i saw someone comparing buying and importing a car from japan to Canada vs buying local about four days ago on Instagram and the price savings was around $5k CAD. I think it was for a Nissan Skyline but I'm double checking with them to confirm all the details

Oh, Alright thank you. That is the car that I am currently looking at but don't know if it worth the hassle of the paper work and such. There are a few already imported skylines I might go with that. Just an idea for a new car. 

2 minutes ago, tank234 said:

Oh, Alright thank you. That is the car that I am currently looking at but don't know if it worth the hassle of the paper work and such. There are a few already imported skylines I might go with that. Just an idea for a new car. 

They seem to strongly recommend buying in Japan and importing both for car quality and cost. If only the US wasn't so anal about their 25 year import law. 

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

3 minutes ago, TVwazhere said:

They seem to strongly recommend buying in Japan and importing both for car quality and cost. If only the US wasn't so anal about their 25 year import law. 

lol,  Makes sense to buy directly from Japan than going local. So skylines would still be considered illegal in the States?

13 minutes ago, tank234 said:

lol,  Makes sense to buy directly from Japan than going local. So skylines would still be considered illegal in the States?

Anything newer than 25 years own cannot be driven legally on roadways. So the earliest cars we could import at this point is a 1994 or 1995. 

Anything newer than 25 years own cannot be driven legally on roadways. So the earliest cars we could import at this point is a 1994 or 1995. 

well, that's unfortunate what if one was to drive into the states with a car newer than 25 years would they be asked to turn around? Like I mean crossing the border would they need to get like a temporary slip to be able to drive to the states? 

19 minutes ago, tank234 said:

well, that's unfortunate what if one was to drive into the states with a car newer than 25 years would they be asked to turn around? Like I mean crossing the border would they need to get like a temporary slip to be able to drive to the states? 

I'm not sure, I believe the law only applies to cars owned within the US, not sure if CAD or Mexico drivers can bring their cars in without issue. 

2 minutes ago, TVwazhere said:

I'm not sure, I believe the law only applies to cars owned within the US, not sure if CAD or Mexico drivers can bring their cars in without issue. 

ah ok thx for educating me lol

5 hours ago, TVwazhere said:

As i once saw a Peugeot 206 here where I live; I would say that people can bring their cars here. Probably for just a limited amount of time though 

no, I have no idea how someone got a peugeot 206 here and would love to know that story. Such an odd place too... little city in Louisiana? 

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

Makes me really want either a wrangler or the upcoming Bronco 

20200708_075418.jpg

2 hours ago, TVwazhere said:

20200708_075418.jpg

Saw your focus and decided to share this ...
My Focus V40 soon will have nice summer wheels 👌

image.png.e6af5ef29296c5b8381a269e736fa823.png

image.png.09d896ac9e67ddce049a8a7932e23cac.png

8 minutes ago, PandaCopyRight said:

Saw your focus and decided to share this ...
My Focus V40 soon will have nice summer wheels 👌

image.png.09d896ac9e67ddce049a8a7932e23cac.png

Those look good!

Those look good!

hopefully the similarly gray paint on the car agrees 🙃

With all major events cancelled for this year, CTMP has undertaking a pretty significant repaving

@MEC-777

Folding@Home | BOINC

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X + Celsius S36 GPU: ASUS TUF RTX3080 

MB: ASRock x470 Taichi RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-2666 32GB 

CASE: Fractal Design Define 7 Panda STORAGE: WD Black SN770 2TB + WD Red Pro 6TB