Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

1 hour ago, RevoltTrain said:

IMHO as long as custom fabrication isn't involved on the end user's part. It's a bolt on

If you can take the part directly off the shelf, and bolt it up, it's a bolt on

Wrong ? you can keep arguing all you like it’s not going to change the fact that your wrong.

CPU: 6700K Case: Corsair Air 740 CPU Cooler: H110i GTX Storage: 2x250gb SSD 960gb SSD PSU: Corsair 1200watt GPU: EVGA 1080ti FTW3 RAM: 16gb DDR4 

Other Stuffs: Red sleeved cables, White LED lighting 2 noctua fans on cpu cooler and Be Quiet PWM fans on case.

5 minutes ago, MadyTehWolfie said:

Wrong ? you can keep arguing all you like it’s not going to change the fact that your wrong.

If it bolts on, it's a "bolt on" wild concept

You can keep arguing all you want, not like it's going to change the fact that you're wrong ?

CPU: R5 5800X3D Motherboard - MSI X570 Gaming Plus RAM - 32GB Corsair DDR4 GPU - XFX 7900 XTX 4GB Case - NZXT H5 Flow (White) Storage - 2X 4TB Samsung 990 Pro PSU - Corsair RM100E Cooling - Corsair H100i Elite Capellix Keyboard Corsair K70 (Brown Switches)  Mouse - Corsair Nightsword RGB

16 minutes ago, RevoltTrain said:

If it bolts on, it's a "bolt on" wild concept

You can keep arguing all you want, not like it's going to change the fact that you're wrong ?

Yeah not a literal definition of what a bolt on is. If you bothered to actually look it up you’d understand that, but ok kid think what you want. Still going to laugh at you. ?

224D0B5A-3164-4F8D-9B4D-159BC37D75B1.png

CPU: 6700K Case: Corsair Air 740 CPU Cooler: H110i GTX Storage: 2x250gb SSD 960gb SSD PSU: Corsair 1200watt GPU: EVGA 1080ti FTW3 RAM: 16gb DDR4 

Other Stuffs: Red sleeved cables, White LED lighting 2 noctua fans on cpu cooler and Be Quiet PWM fans on case.

14 minutes ago, MadyTehWolfie said:

Yeah not a literal definition of what a bolt on is. If you bothered to actually look it up you’d understand that, but ok kid think what you want. Still going to laugh at you. ?

Image result for ackshually"

CPU: R5 5800X3D Motherboard - MSI X570 Gaming Plus RAM - 32GB Corsair DDR4 GPU - XFX 7900 XTX 4GB Case - NZXT H5 Flow (White) Storage - 2X 4TB Samsung 990 Pro PSU - Corsair RM100E Cooling - Corsair H100i Elite Capellix Keyboard Corsair K70 (Brown Switches)  Mouse - Corsair Nightsword RGB

15 minutes ago, RevoltTrain said:

Image result for ackshually"

Lol Your butt hurt for no reason. It’s ok to be wrong about something kid. Your meme fits you more you tried to correct someone when you were wrong ??‍♀️? 

C452EF27-E0A2-4516-A83D-F6AE924B985E.png

38B086D4-2050-4CB2-B25C-1B66CCFBED0F.jpeg

It’s almost like “bolt on” is defined by the amount of work something is

Yes both modifying an exhaust and adding a turbo both CAN add power.

But one of these is a heck of a lot easier than the other. Hence why typically exhaust is referred to as “a bolt on” but a turbo isn’t.

the question is where do we draw the line? It’s almost like it needs to be amount of energy expended by a human being to accomplish the task xD

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

19 minutes ago, MadyTehWolfie said:

Lol Your butt hurt for no reason. It’s ok to be wrong about something kid. Your meme fits you more you tried to correct someone when you were wrong ??‍♀️?

You're trying too hard to think you're correct, just so you know.

6 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

It’s almost like “bolt on” is defined by the amount of work something is

Yes both modifying an exhaust and adding a turbo both CAN add power.

But one of these is a heck of a lot easier than the other. Hence why typically exhaust is referred to as “a bolt on” but a turbo isn’t.

the question is where do we draw the line? It’s almost like it needs to be amount of energy expended by a human being to accomplish the task xD

Usually a mix of work expended to do the modification and the type of modification. 

Turbo swap =/= bolt on

engine rebuild =/= bolton 

transmission work is a bit questionable ??‍♀️

Some consider it a bolt on to change the torque converter some don’t really up for debate. Most car forums have the same consensus that opening the engine/forced induction is not a bolt on. I go by the majority consensus based on the various forums I read.

2 minutes ago, AlwaysFSX said:

You're trying too hard to think you're correct, just so you know.

Your opinion means very little to me.

1 minute ago, MadyTehWolfie said:

Your opinion means very little to me.

I don't need your validation to justify my position.

Lemme ask you a question, if I swap my intake manifold from stock to a performance variant, is that a bolt on?

Anyways, shocker about your attitude on this. I'll sum it up, you don't know where to draw the line other than you want it to be what you want.

You'll probably say yes, swapping an intake is a bolt on.

23 hours ago, MadyTehWolfie said:

Don’t consider opening the engine “bolt on”. By that logic power adders like a turbo or supercharger are a “bolt on”.

Which is no harder than a super charger.

Issa bolton.

1 minute ago, AlwaysFSX said:

Anyways, shocker about your attitude on this. I'll sum it up, you don't know where to draw the line other than you want it to be what you want.

You'll probably say yes, swapping an intake is a bolt on.

Which is no harder than a super charger.

Issa bolton.

uhuh So when you race someone do you say oh its just bolt ons to describe your car when someone says what did you do to it, or do you say "I supercharged it", or "I swapped the turbo" either way not going to change your mind so im done here you can wallow in you retardation all you want because you clearly missed the point.

Just now, MadyTehWolfie said:

uhuh So when you race someone do you say oh its just bolt ons to describe your car when someone says what did you do to it, or do you say "I supercharged it", or "I swapped the turbo" either way not going to change your mind so im done here you can wallow in you retardation all you want because you clearly missed the point.

(Yes because a super charger is a bolt on, guess what you can hear it too, it's not a surprise)

Hey I haven't been the one throwing around insults (yet) just because I need to figure out a way to justify why my car is losing races.

Oh well, I guess I'll never know what it's like to be you, always correct in my thinking. It's a struggle for us lesser mortals.

13 hours ago, MadyTehWolfie said:

I’m going to end the conversation here with you.

top 10 lies of the decade

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 64GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Razer Deathstalker v2 / Razer Basilisk v3 Pro / Sennheiser HD 600

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / iPhone 15 Pro Max

so as a slightly early anniversary gift my boyfriend wanted to know what I wanted and I showed him a couple window mounts for a phone and he got me this one and man I love it, can't wait to use it more.

image0.jpg

This past summer actually, Minnesota joined a few other states in having a law on the books requiring hands free. For other reasons too it's nice to have that though.

It goes nicely with this other thing I got at Target with a mix of a $5 off price match and a few cents off for my team member discount.

n7gkik.png

that's funny it lists a gift card as "NONE"

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

2 hours ago, bimmerman said:

S54 lopey boiiis have arrived, and garage reorganization for a 4 post is in progress.

Wait, just one? Where's the other one? Are they in separate boxes? Do they not come in pairs?? Those specs also look purdy. 250 intake and 242 exhaust, at 1mm duration means the valves are open for at least 1mm for that many degrees? Man, I wish Forza had custom camshaft tuning to match the rest of their tuning...

Also, I'm heckin' jelly of the 4 post boi coming your way. Heck, I'd be happy with a 2-poster, even... Dagnabbin' rental homes.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i7 6850K

GPU: nVidia GTX 1080Ti (ZoTaC AMP! Extreme)

Motherboard: Gigabyte X99-UltraGaming

RAM: 16GB (2x 8GB) 3000Mhz EVGA SuperSC DDR4

Case: RaidMax Delta I

PSU: ThermalTake DPS-G 750W 80+ Gold

Monitor: Samsung 32" UJ590 UHD

Keyboard: Corsair K70

Mouse: Corsair Scimitar

Audio: Logitech Z200 (desktop); Roland RH-300 (headphones)

Everyone has a different idea of bolt on. Personally I lean more towards @MadyTehWolfie's definition; Aside from the literal process of bolting parts on, the other factor is the amount/complexity of the parts, and also to a lesser extent ease of installation. When I think of bolt on I think of generally, a single part*; Headers? Yup. Catback exhaust? Sure. Cams? Fo' sho. Induction kit? I mean they don't make much power but the noises are cool. They're also all relatively quick to install, if you know what you're doing.

But things like superchargers and engine rebuilds are a longer process, and the case of forced induction a decent number of non standard parts. Unless you buy a very good quality kit which comes with the right brackets, pulleys etc, you normally have to custom fab or modify something. More so with turbo's than chargers from what I've seen. CX racing I'm looking at you xD I mean 90% of them leave intercooler mounting competently up to the user's imagination.

Compared to what _I_ consider as a 'full' bolt on setup on my engine... a turbocharger kit alone has more parts.  I mean yeah, you take the term very literally, then even an LS swap would be a 'bolt on' mod if you found a company that made the correct conversion kit! And to me that's definitely not. Where do you draw the line? 

*taking into account cars might have multiple headers, the same with cams. That's just being anal, you know what I mean ;) 

⠀⠀⠀⣴⣴⡤
⠀⣠⠀⢿⠇⡇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢰⢷⡗
⠀⢶⢽⠿⣗⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣼⡧⠂⠀⠀⣼⣷⡆
⠀⠀⣾⢶⠐⣱⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣤⣜⣻⣧⣲⣦⠤⣧⣿⠶
⠀⢀⣿⣿⣇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠛⠿⣿⣿⣷⣤⣄⡹⣿⣷
⠀⢸⣿⢸⣿⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠈⠙⢿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿
⠀⠿⠃⠈⠿⠆⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠹⠿⠿⠿

⠀⢀⢀⡀⠀⢀⣤⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⡀⡀
⠀⣿⡟⡇⠀⠭⡋⠅⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢰⣟⢿
⠀⣹⡌⠀⠀⣨⣾⣷⣄⠀⠀⠀⠀⢈⠔⠌
⠰⣷⣿⡀⢐⢿⣿⣿⢻⠀⠀⠀⢠⣿⡿⡤⣴⠄⢀⣀⡀
⠘⣿⣿⠂⠈⢸⣿⣿⣸⠀⠀⠀⢘⣿⣿⣀⡠⣠⣺⣿⣷
⠀⣿⣿⡆⠀⢸⣿⣿⣾⡇⠀⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣗⣻⡻⠿⠁
⠀⣿⣿⡇⠀⢸⣿⣿⡇⠀⠀⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠁

The rain broke my car, but let me explain.

We had a huge temperature swing overnight, from 30 something to 50 something along with a rain storm coming through, such that this morning everything was colder than the ambient temp. This caused extreme condensation on everything. Well my 15ish year old NGK spark plug wires didn't much care for this and I had super bad misfires, it wasn't driveable. Luckily I had her car to take to pick her up from the airport and somehow still got her in time (well because her flight was delayed to the gate once landed). So now I've baked my wires in the oven to dry them, washed them at the connection ends, oven to dry again, then slathered the boot connection points up with E6000 glue (6000 volts per something resistance), and back into the oven for an hour at 200ish degrees to speed dry the glue so I can drive to work and worry about replacing the wires later.

I did, at the time of problems, manage to dry the outsides of the wires with some starting fluid and then spary them down with silicone spray lube to prevent new condensation, but the issue was with condensation INSIDE the connections between the wire and the boot at the coil ends. This meant that spraying stuff on them did nothing useful except waste time and make me more frustrated.

7 hours ago, The1Dickens said:

Wait, just one? Where's the other one? Are they in separate boxes? Do they not come in pairs?? Those specs also look purdy. 250 intake and 242 exhaust, at 1mm duration means the valves are open for at least 1mm for that many degrees? Man, I wish Forza had custom camshaft tuning to match the rest of their tuning...

Also, I'm heckin' jelly of the 4 post boi coming your way. Heck, I'd be happy with a 2-poster, even... Dagnabbin' rental homes.

Ha, I only unboxed one. Cam specs as shown, marketed as 288 intake / 280 exhaust with 12mm max lift. They made a 14mm variant but I didn't want to modify pistons or reduce vanos actuation. Stock is 260/260. These make nutty power once installed and tuned!

I'm very very excited for the lift. Pain in the ass reorganizing (and moving shop) but it'll be well worth it.

1 minute ago, bimmerman said:

Ha, I only unboxed one. Cam specs as shown, marketed as 288 intake / 280 exhaust with 12mm max lift. They made a 14mm variant but I didn't want to modify pistons or reduce vanos actuation. Stock is 260/260. These make nutty power once installed and tuned!

I'm very very excited for the lift. Pain in the ass reorganizing (and moving shop) but it'll be well worth it.

I rather enjoy the 292/276 cams with 11 and 10mm lift in my Toyota, you'll love those!

4 minutes ago, bimmerman said:

Cam specs as shown, marketed as 288 intake / 280 exhaust with 12mm max lift. They made a 14mm variant but I didn't want to modify pistons or reduce vanos actuation. Stock is 260/260. These make nutty power once installed and tuned!

Ah, yeah, I couldn't tell if those were 6s, 8s, or 3s. But that makes sense. And yeah, that's understandable, because I recall VANOS is a pain to work around, so its often easier to just leave it as is. I'd be interested to hear it when it's all done and running again.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i7 6850K

GPU: nVidia GTX 1080Ti (ZoTaC AMP! Extreme)

Motherboard: Gigabyte X99-UltraGaming

RAM: 16GB (2x 8GB) 3000Mhz EVGA SuperSC DDR4

Case: RaidMax Delta I

PSU: ThermalTake DPS-G 750W 80+ Gold

Monitor: Samsung 32" UJ590 UHD

Keyboard: Corsair K70

Mouse: Corsair Scimitar

Audio: Logitech Z200 (desktop); Roland RH-300 (headphones)

1 minute ago, The1Dickens said:

Ah, yeah, I couldn't tell if those were 6s, 8s, or 3s. But that makes sense. And yeah, that's understandable, because I recall VANOS is a pain to work around, so its often easier to just leave it as is. I'd be interested to hear it when it's all done and running again.

Aiming to get a baseline dyno with current set up sometime earlyish january, then hopefully install and dyno tune cams before track season. Need cam followers still, so it's a longer term project.

1 hour ago, bimmerman said:

post-5938-0-58840300-1393353974.jpg

Putting more aggressive cams on an S54... I like the sound of that. xD

(I know that it's not just the cams that change the exhaust note, but holy balls this sounds good)

"an obvious supporter of privacy"