Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/648881028933045/?surface=product_details

this poor Roadmaster

6 hours ago, Bitter said:

Not all states have inspections. Il only cares about emissions, pretty sure MN is similar as well.

nope lol
MN doesn't do that bullshit, yet. Fucking hell glad I'll be out of this hell hole before they decide that's a good idea.

7 hours ago, Bitter said:

I guess I see this really often at work because some of our customers are low income and they get trapped. They can't afford a decent car so they get a really cheap one that they're constantly pouring money into fix, can't ever get caught up fixing it, and in the end when they finally give up or it breaks beyond their ability to afford they've dumped in more money than if they'd just bought something decent to begin with. I've seen people spend, over 2-3 years, $5,000 on a $1000 car when they could have just spend $6000 up front and gotten a car that wouldn't have milked $5k out of them like that. $1000 car has shit tires, spend $400 on tires now it's a $1400 car. Needs a radiator, now it's a $1700 car. Brake lines rusted out and burst, now it's a $2200 car. Caliper seized up, now it's a $2500 car. Trans took a shit, now it's a $4000 car. So on and so on until something un-repairable rusts through or they've sunk so much money into it that they can't afford to keep fixing it and throw away the car AND all the money they've spent on it as it's too broken to re-sell to anyone but a junk yard for $75.

You don't have to move to a warmer climate to get a clean car, take a car shopping vacation lol. I'm sure you've got friends or family who live down south? Go visit, pick out a good car, take it to a local shop to check it out, drive it home. Because used cars last longer down south there's more for sale and they're cheaper. Kentucky, Tennessee, Missouri, Arkansas, Kansas, Oklahoma, etc. All states without salt, with pretty much no winter, and where flooding isn't a huge thing to watch out for used cars since they have no salt water coasts. Even Southern IL and IN are fine, pretty much south of Indy and Springfield out in the country you can get a cheap used car that's solid.

Post up what you're considering, tag me, I'll give you my opinion about it and if I think they're asking a fair price.

really the only one down South is North Alabama because I'd wanna go be with is @Dan Castellaneta but uh if Im going down there I'm staying down there. Which is why I kinda want a car in the first place. Cheaper than flying and paying out the ass to move my shit.

I'll entertain your offer, https://www.cambridgetrucks.net/details/used-2002-mazda-tribute/54746823

for that small rust spot towards the back of the passenger side and the dent on the driver door I'd see if I could work them down a few hundred bucks maybe an even $3500

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

Hows the weather down there

lmao

@warmmilk @bcredeur97

Folding@Home | BOINC

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X + Celsius S36 GPU: ASUS TUF RTX3080 

MB: ASRock x470 Taichi RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-2666 32GB 

CASE: Fractal Design Define 7 Panda STORAGE: WD Black SN770 2TB + WD Red Pro 6TB

3 hours ago, pinksnowbirdie said:

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/648881028933045/?surface=product_details

this poor Roadmaster

nope lol
MN doesn't do that bullshit, yet. Fucking hell glad I'll be out of this hell hole before they decide that's a good idea.

really the only one down South is North Alabama because I'd wanna go be with is @Dan Castellaneta but uh if Im going down there I'm staying down there. Which is why I kinda want a car in the first place. Cheaper than flying and paying out the ass to move my shit.

I'll entertain your offer, https://www.cambridgetrucks.net/details/used-2002-mazda-tribute/54746823

for that small rust spot towards the back of the passenger side and the dent on the driver door I'd see if I could work them down a few hundred bucks maybe an even $3500

For the price they're asking it looks pretty decent from the outside. Check the date code on the tires, if they're more than 6 years old use that to haggle down and make a stink about selling a car with unsafe tires, killing you in a roll over, media shitstorm, whatever. Those are common for ignition coils failing (like all ford's of that time period) and when they do fail the resulting misfire destroys the converter that's attached to the exhaust manifold on that side of the engine. You'll know if the converter is clogged, it'll feel slow as shit. That V6 in those is pretty perky actually! Get a cheap OBD2 code reader and an app that'll let you pull codes and check if the emissions monitors are completed, so you can tell if they just cleared the codes or not. They'll be all incomplete if they were just cleared which could be a tipoff they're hiding something. Make sure you look around under it real good, those can get some nasty rust around the strut towers front and rear which is pretty much a car ending failure because it'll cost about 1/4 of the vehicle price to repair that kind of damage. Under the car you're looking for holes in the floor, rust perforations along the pinch weld like where the tire change jack goes, big leaks or signs of big leaks cleaned up, etc. That engine does leak oil from the oil pan gaskets but it's meh live with it. The transmission on those is the weak link, they'll shit the bed and they're not cheap to repair because they usually break a bunch of hard parts inside them. They were crappy when new and paired with a 4 cylinder, they're not any better later on and paired with a V6 but that one might be one of the few that was alright...or not. You'll start getting some hard shifts and then it just won't go and that's it, toss $2500 into the pot you piss in and hit the flush lever, don't bother with a used one cause it'll probably be even worse.

@pagani123

I seens the huayra raodster bc!! Greg's car is here too.

Folding@Home | BOINC

CASE: Fractal Design Define 7 Panda STORAGE: WD Black SN770 2TB + WD Red Pro 6TB

Folding@Home | BOINC

On 9/21/2019 at 12:56 PM, Bitter said:

Not all states have inspections. Il only cares about emissions, pretty sure MN is similar as well.

MN doesn’t even do emissions testing. Only raising gas taxes for us.

Recovering Apple addict

ASUS Zephyrus G14 2022

Spoiler

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 6900HS GPU: AMD r680M / RX 6700S RAM: 16GB DDR5 

1 hour ago, FuzzyYellow said:

That makes sense, there's a guy around the Twin Cities with an AWD turbo V6 2000ish Eclipse that's absolutely batshit and hauls ass like a super-car. 500something AWHP and torque to match.

3 hours ago, FuzzyYellow said:

We have no nature of inspection whatsoever here in Indiana, or in Michigan

CPU: R5 5800X3D Motherboard - MSI X570 Gaming Plus RAM - 32GB Corsair DDR4 GPU - XFX 7900 XTX 4GB Case - NZXT H5 Flow (White) Storage - 2X 4TB Samsung 990 Pro PSU - Corsair RM100E Cooling - Corsair H100i Elite Capellix Keyboard Corsair K70 (Brown Switches)  Mouse - Corsair Nightsword RGB

41 minutes ago, RevoltTrain said:

We have no nature of inspection whatsoever here in Indiana, or in Michigan

NW Indiana does have some emissions testing.

1 hour ago, Bitter said:

NW Indiana does have some emissions testing.

That's a handful of counties

CPU: R5 5800X3D Motherboard - MSI X570 Gaming Plus RAM - 32GB Corsair DDR4 GPU - XFX 7900 XTX 4GB Case - NZXT H5 Flow (White) Storage - 2X 4TB Samsung 990 Pro PSU - Corsair RM100E Cooling - Corsair H100i Elite Capellix Keyboard Corsair K70 (Brown Switches)  Mouse - Corsair Nightsword RGB

9 hours ago, RevoltTrain said:

That's a handful of counties

What’s a county? /s

Sorry I’m from Louisiana, had to xD 

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

Ngl I'd love this 

FB_IMG_1569265824408.jpg

FB_IMG_1569265828179.jpg

Screenshot_20190923-201234_Facebook.jpg

Needs money for car parts :P

System specs: Core i7 9700k, Dark Rock Pro 4 , MSI Z390 PRO, 16GB CORSAIR VENGENCE DDR4 3000, EVGA GTX 1070 FTW, Corsair AX860, Seagate 1TB, Sandisk 240GB SSD, Corsair 400c

My Steam Profile (from SteamDB)

• Worth: £654 (£221 with sales)
  • Games owned: 62
  • Games played: 52 (83%)
  • Hours on record: 2,980.7h

I had an American E36 328i manual as my second car. First was a 1993 BMW 525i, E34 chassis if I remember correctly. Anyways the e36 was an amazing car. Often think of getting another. Very momentum driven car even with the 2.8l straight 6 I had but a fun car none the less. Miss the straight 6 guttural scream through the rpm. Would have been fun to do a lightweight flywheel to get it to spin up faster. Sounded amazing with the magnaflow exhaust I put on it. Even made a vid. 

My First (Current) Build:

Ryzen 7 2700 (3.90 1.35v OC) | Asus Prime X470 Pro | G.Skill Ripjaws V 16gb 3200 | Inland Professional 512gb M.2 NVME | Samsung 860 Evo Sata M.2 1TB | Corsair H115i Platinum | Corsair ML 140 RGB Fans | Fractal Design Meshify C | EVGA RTX 2070 XC Ultra

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 13t Gem Cut (i7 8565u, 240gb, 8gb mem)

My Ride:

2015 VW Golf TDI Sportwagen

Eventually an XJ manual...

so uh there's a Chevy Dealer's Bargain lot near my work so I walked over there this morning and saw a pretty decent 2003 Saab 9-3 Sport Sedan.

One owner, no accidents 

96,006 miles for $3,480.

Spoiler

730C695F-67FF-4D3B-99A6-75C6C80D4EB8.thumb.jpeg.7051a0185e399663458842f6fea60bc5.jpeg

Spoiler

6CCDBC10-ABBC-4D80-8A47-9C8DC364EA5C.thumb.jpeg.bbbfa68df57557a12f4cc764e3dec3d4.jpeg

Spoiler

AD98857B-0214-4EA2-B828-8ADA3A351BE3.thumb.jpeg.a6d71fe107cb3f485dd2ef7c9f6cd5a5.jpeg

Spoiler

My face is funny in this one 8102B4E5-74DF-415D-8326-925CFE5DA39D.thumb.jpeg.539e73fe8047342d43edce569d9032f7.jpeg

Spoiler

430666E9-BED6-4734-B056-1ABBF5F20C06.thumb.jpeg.5b537ead17f21f03cf2958f1221b3e56.jpeg

Even though it's GM Saab it's still built like a tank. As long as you don't mind it leaking something all the time it should last fairly well as long as you keep it full of fluids. Be aware that it's got a literal labyrinth of hoses under the hood for oil, coolant, p/s, etc so it's not very user friendly to work on past basic stuff like spark plugs. I don't know if the Saab version of the Eco-tec engine had timing chain issues or not or if 03 was past those problems. We had a customer with that drivetrain in a wagon and they just constantly abused the car, I think it's still going. Like one oil change a year, almost  no oil, running it out of random fluids, over heating it, etc. Kept on going. What a shitbox but it ran.

40 minutes ago, Bitter said:

Even though it's GM Saab it's still built like a tank. As long as you don't mind it leaking something all the time it should last fairly well as long as you keep it full of fluids. Be aware that it's got a literal labyrinth of hoses under the hood for oil, coolant, p/s, etc so it's not very user friendly to work on past basic stuff like spark plugs. I don't know if the Saab version of the Eco-tec engine had timing chain issues or not or if 03 was past those problems. We had a customer with that drivetrain in a wagon and they just constantly abused the car, I think it's still going. Like one oil change a year, almost  no oil, running it out of random fluids, over heating it, etc. Kept on going. What a shitbox but it ran.

well that's my concern lol

that if there are leaks, where are they and how bad they are.

I figure it's a 16 year old car so there's bound to be leaks, however the extent I'm not so sure.

the trunk has issues opening and makes a noise in motion from the springs but that seems normal?

the glovebox someone broke and there's a piece of interior trim on the passenger side next to key hole thing (CIM?) that's loose

and yeah that one pic I uploaded I saw the mess of hoses

730C695F-67FF-4D3B-99A6-75C6C80D4EB8.jpeg

23 minutes ago, pinksnowbirdie said:

well that's my concern lol

that if there are leaks, where are they and how bad they are.

I figure it's a 16 year old car so there's bound to be leaks, however the extent I'm not so sure.

the trunk has issues opening and makes a noise in motion from the springs but that seems normal?

the glovebox someone broke and there's a piece of interior trim on the passenger side next to key hole thing (CIM?) that's loose

and yeah that one pic I uploaded I saw the mess of hoses

-snip-

michelin tires means someone took care of it prob.

I only say that though because they usually cost more than what most ppl buy.

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

10 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

michelin tires means someone took care of it prob.

I only say that though because they usually cost more than what most ppl buy.

I was kinda surprised to see Michelin lol

but yeah that's good to know that's a good sign lol

it's one owner so and yeah under 100k miles

Without seeing it I'd venture a guess that the Saab is a more solid car than the Tribute, just being lower miles. Also Saab owners are weirdos so more likely it was somewhat taken care of.

4 minutes ago, Bitter said:

Saab owners are weirdos

I knew Saab was the car for me!

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

3 hours ago, pinksnowbirdie said:

so uh there's a Chevy Dealer's Bargain lot near my work so I walked over there this morning and saw a pretty decent 2003 Saab 9-3 Sport Sedan.

One owner, no accidents 

96,006 miles for $3,480.

Hide contents

Hide contents

Hide contents

Hide contents

My face is funny in this one 

Hide contents

Seems to be the twin to my 05 Arc, mine has about 80K on it and has been rock solid other than some typical maintenance stuff. That's a solid deal as well for a Big T model

(2.0t had a smaller turbo, 2.0T had a bigger turbo)

The gas gauge on these cars tend to be a bit finicky, mine reads empty until I burn between 1/16 or 1/8 of a tank

These cars tend to let water in every now and then from the cabin air filter, either get a new gasket, or a bit of sealer on the surface and that takes care of it perfectly.

The radio you better love (The headunit that is) because it's connected with fiber optics and is nearly impossible to replace outright with an aftermarket unit, if you wanted an aftermarket one people take out the CD player and wire up a headunit in that location. 

Other than those minor issues (Which can be taken care of in an afternoon) it's an absolutely phenomenal car, especially for the price they go for

2 hours ago, Bitter said:

Mine has never had a leak of any nature, 05 with 80K on it. Only issues I've had are typical maintenance things

58382593_282976595984999_8473208208507273216_n.thumb.jpg.b9c76bec5d576c7f0a2ec8138c89fe62.jpg

828241200_37765314_2063452727059641_1110758914468610048_o(1).thumb.jpg.b71658a7ae5f1c3f8b1c1c754d156fb3.jpg

8 minutes ago, Bitter said:

Without seeing it I'd venture a guess that the Saab is a more solid car than the Tribute, just being lower miles. Also Saab owners are weirdos so more likely it was somewhat taken care of.

I've only had 3 so far. But I do love them dearly, always on the hunt for another one, or a few more ?

Me and my father got an offer to buy a ford model t 1911, a once in a lifetime offer that we accepted. 

My father's 1914 (left) model t and my and my father's 1911 model t (right)

sketch-1569302117693.thumb.png.4101b7ba2cda65f205ac51f6708fc8fc.png

sketch-1569302108758.thumb.png.d69c87485a397e39e8bef30d5886dab7.png

There is some restoration to be done on the 1911 which is going to be fixed during the winter. 

CPU: r7 2700x;  GPU: EVGA GTX 980 ti sli; RAM: 16GB DDR4; MoBo: ASUS CH VII HERO x470; PSU: Seasonic Prime 850 Titanium; Case: Be Quiet! Dark Base 900 PRO; SSD: Kingston 120 GB; HDD: 1x 500 GB 1x 2TB 1x 3TB;

My Anime List 300+ completed