Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

2 minutes ago, spwath said:

Weird, I wonder why. Just bought last year with 8000 miles on from old lady, then I put it up to 23000 miles, seems early for tires to be this worn...

Especially for just stock car, nothing changed at all...

Have you being pumping them up to the correct pressures? 

زندگی از چراغ

Intel Core i7 7800X 6C/12T (4.5GHz), Corsair H150i Pro RGB (360mm), Asus Prime X299-A, Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4X4GB & 2X8GB 3000MHz DDR4), MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G (2.113GHz core & 9.104GHz memory), 1 Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB NVMe M.2, 1 Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, 1 Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD, 1 WD Red 1TB mechanical drive, Corsair RM750X 80+ Gold fully modular PSU, Corsair Obsidian 750D full tower case, Corsair Glaive RGB mouse, Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 (Cherry MX Red) keyboard, Asus VN247HA (1920x1080 60Hz 16:9), Audio Technica ATH-M20x headphones & Windows 10 Home 64 bit. 

The time Linus replied to me on one of my threads: 

Just now, LinusTechTipsFanFromDarlo said:

Have you being pumping them up to the correct pressures? 

I have not put any air in the tires at all, but no light is on. Maybe I should check pressure...

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

3 minutes ago, spwath said:

Weird, I wonder why. Just bought last year with 8000 miles on from old lady, then I put it up to 23000 miles, seems early for tires to be this worn...

Especially for just stock car, nothing changed at all...

well either way they need replacement, really dont want to be driving around on those much more

Just now, spwath said:

I have not put any air in the tires at all, but no light is on. Maybe I should check pressure...

yah you should probably check that, might not have tire pressure sensors idk

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

Just now, spwath said:

You should be putting air into the tires regularly, it looks like you've had them under inflated for a while. 

Image result for under inflated tyres

زندگی از چراغ

Intel Core i7 7800X 6C/12T (4.5GHz), Corsair H150i Pro RGB (360mm), Asus Prime X299-A, Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4X4GB & 2X8GB 3000MHz DDR4), MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G (2.113GHz core & 9.104GHz memory), 1 Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB NVMe M.2, 1 Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, 1 Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD, 1 WD Red 1TB mechanical drive, Corsair RM750X 80+ Gold fully modular PSU, Corsair Obsidian 750D full tower case, Corsair Glaive RGB mouse, Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 (Cherry MX Red) keyboard, Asus VN247HA (1920x1080 60Hz 16:9), Audio Technica ATH-M20x headphones & Windows 10 Home 64 bit. 

The time Linus replied to me on one of my threads: 

1 hour ago, bcredeur97 said:

how much you asking for it? I could use a crappy economical car right now

I'd say around 2400, but the price is flexible. Tires have just over 1k miles on them and the coolant was flushed and replaced 2 years ago.

Computer engineering grad student, cybersecurity researcher, and hobbyist embedded systems developer

Daily Driver:

CPU: Ryzen 7 4800H | GPU: RTX 2060 | RAM: 16GB DDR4 3200MHz C16

Gaming PC:

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600X | GPU: EVGA RTX 2080Ti | RAM: 32GB DDR4 3200MHz C16

Just now, Mr. horse said:

what part of Virginia are you from? and is it a manual or auto?

I'm in Norfolk, and it's an automatic.

Computer engineering grad student, cybersecurity researcher, and hobbyist embedded systems developer

Daily Driver:

Gaming PC:

@bcredeur97 local place finally denied me service....

I have this lead in Florida, who will give me upgrade hardware kits (so I didn't need the ones I bought from mountune) and treat the gears 

I'm starting to have buyers remorse.... Maybe I should just buy one from a junk yard for half the price

Screenshot_20190515-130107_Messenger.jpg

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

1 hour ago, Mr. horse said:

That was my thought. But a really messed up camber ajuster could do it too if the camber was sifting alot.

That is highly unlikely however.

Probably ran low on air.

in my experience camber within like 3 degrees does very little to tire wear. most cars have a range less than that.

Toe out however.. that will destroy the INSIDE of your tire due to it "scrubbing"

if both outside edges are worn like it appears.. then that's a too low of air pressure for too long problem. Likewise, the middle being worn would be too high of air pressure

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

1 hour ago, Mr. horse said:

Oh yeah. check them regularly. 

Fill the tire a little less then max PSI the tire is rated at for a car like that. So if the tire calls for 50psi run 45psi. The car will ride smother and grip better and for most tires it will ware slower as max PSI can ware the center of the tire faster.

That is what I do on my jag, its tires are rated for 30k miles and they have 45k ish on them and still have a good bit of meat left.

I was going to say this too..

You really should follow what the manufacturer says to run your tires at. Which is usually around 30-35psi for most cars. lighter cars are generally less, heavier cars a bit more.

However you can in theory run higher pressures safely so long as they do not exceed the tire's maximum rated pressure.

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

1 hour ago, thegreengamers said:

I'd say around 2400, but the price is flexible. Tires have just over 1k miles on them and the coolant was flushed and replaced 2 years ago.

ehhh I'd give you $1500 for it. partly because I'm ridiculously far away, and partly because the thing has clearly been outside a lot  with everything dryrotting and the paint aging and could use some work.

Also seeing seat covers... which I hope are just there to keep the seats nice.. but if not.. that means torn up seats.. which means finding replacements.. can be hard to do

(also manual swap xD) maybe not.. but would be much better

Spoiler

@spwath have you rotated your tires at all? Sometimes front tires wear faster than the rears bc they suffer more abuse (turning at speed, accidental hard launches, etc) so that could also be a contributing factor to weird wear patterns. But underinflation and bad alignment like the others mentioned could also be factors too.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

5 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

ehhh I'd give you $1500 for it. partly because I'm ridiculously far away, and partly because the thing has clearly been outside a lot  with everything dryrotting and the paint aging and could use some work.

Also seeing seat covers... which I hope are just there to keep the seats nice.. but if not.. that means torn up seats.. which means finding replacements.. can be hard to do

(also manual swap xD) maybe not.. but would be much better

That was an older picture, and I've taken the seat covers off since then. The seats only need a bit of cleaning, but other than a small rip on the driver's side seat, they aren't in terrible condition

Daily Driver:

Gaming PC:

41 minutes ago, thegreengamers said:

That was an older picture, and I've taken the seat covers off since then. The seats only need a bit of cleaning, but other than a small rip on the driver's side seat, they aren't in terrible condition

a rip is a rip tho. :/

I'm also just used to seats being impossible to find for my current car so I'm a bit funny about their condition now

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

a rip is a rip tho. :/

I'm also just used to seats being impossible to find for my current car so I'm a bit funny about their condition now

Haha I get what you mean, I just gave up on finding new seats when I got the car since I couldn't find anything for a Paseo. That also reminds me, I should probably get that rip sewn back together before it's sold.

Daily Driver:

Gaming PC:

Massive.  Free cookie to anyone hwo guesstimates the max. allowed compressor speed (RPM)

IMG-20190515-WA0049.jpeg.543a86bf7b86bb78f462b83718f7b015.thumb.jpeg.3f6165527fc33624f48efc7dbf4d97a0.jpeg

The Subwoofer 

Ryzen 7 1700  /// Noctua NH-L9X65 /// Noctua NF-P14s Redux 1200PWM

ASRock Fatal1ty X370 Gaming-ITX/ac /// 16GB DDR4 G.Skill TridentZ 3066Mhz

Zotac GTX1080 Mini 

EVGA Supernova G3 650W 

Samsung 960EVO 250GB + WD Blue 2TB

Criiiiii, my front bumper is loose. Considering that about three weeks ago, I had a timing belt change so maybe they didn't secure my bumper correctly? 

Regardless, at least I now know why there's a slight flapping/banging noise when I'm on the motorway and why I'm scraping my bumper even more on speed bumps. 

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

Forged engine update! Had to take a picture of the cleaned crank, once all that protective wax is cleaned off the super shiny journals show through!

1043377913_image1(1).jpeg.181a97e4926b708ebf3aafd1ddd47ab1.jpeg

And I got the rotating assembly put together. .017" top ring gap and .019" second ring. Main bearings have .0013" clearance, rod bearings have .0015" clearance. A little loose compared to factory new (still within standards) but this motor is going to make a lot more power than factory. I will end up using 5W-40 oil anyway so it shouldn't be a problem. My Wiseco tapered ring compressor came in very handy, did not have a single worry installing the pistons compared to those 'universal' ring compressors.

1677694610_image2(1).jpeg.ac2bebf231f733e5a501710126a28610.jpegC1CA4359-AF2A-4339-8D14-7CD693215464.thumb.JPG.c5fc06f4dbbe179fb336fb7978fde0c7.JPG

Everything spins freely and is within spec! I dropped off the head at Scroggins this morning, forgot to bring the cam caps smh so they have to wait a little longer.  Still about $700 worth of parts to buy for this motor but it's coming along :)

25 minutes ago, byalexandr said:

Forged engine update! Had to take a picture of the cleaned crank, once all that protective wax is cleaned off the super shiny journals show through!

And I got the rotating assembly put together. .017" top ring gap and .019" second ring. Main bearings have .0013" clearance, rod bearings have .0015" clearance. A little loose compared to factory new (still within standards) but this motor is going to make a lot more power than factory. I will end up using 5W-40 oil anyway so it shouldn't be a problem. My Wiseco tapered ring compressor came in very handy, did not have a single worry installing the pistons compared to those 'universal' ring compressors.

Everything spins freely and is within spec! I dropped off the head at Scroggins this morning, forgot to bring the cam caps smh so they have to wait a little longer.  Still about $700 worth of parts to buy for this motor but it's coming along :)

so never buy anything other than a *real* piston ring compressor made for the job you're doing. 

got it.

looking good. Shouldn't be much left if they are doing most of the head work for you :D (other than well.. all the details... and putting it in the car xD) 

Spoiler

22 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

so never buy anything other than a *real* piston ring compressor made for the job you're doing. 

got it.

looking good. Shouldn't be much left if they are doing most of the head work for you :D (other than well.. all the details... and putting it in the car xD) 

Yep. I originally wanted it cleaned and decked, but he told me it was okay to use the stock valves in my application so I went ahead and ordered a valve job too. I will use stock springs for now but I will eventually install heavier springs when I boost it, maybe SUB lifters but I'm not raising the redline any more than 7K or using a larger oil pump. These rods supposedly hold 750hp so I'm not afraid to let boost hit early especially with an EFR 6258/6758 (deciding atm).

What I'm really worried about is my trans and diff and how long it will hold 300-350hp -_-

4 minutes ago, byalexandr said:

Yep. I originally wanted it cleaned and decked, but he told me it was okay to use the stock valves in my application so I went ahead and ordered a valve job too. I will use stock springs for now but I will eventually install heavier springs when I boost it, maybe SUB lifters but I'm not raising the redline any more than 7K or using a larger oil pump. These rods supposedly hold 750hp so I'm not afraid to let boost hit early especially with an EFR 6258/6758 (deciding atm).

What I'm really worried about is my trans and diff and how long it will hold 300-350hp -_-

be careful with 4th gear. thats the weakest point of the 6 speed trans

the diff.. I'd get some better mounts than OEM for sure. Maybe get that kit that reinforces where they notch it out.. I believe the diff itself can take a lot it just tends to move around a lot and also that notch they cut out for safety if you get rear ended becomes a weak point

Spoiler

25 minutes ago, bimmerman said:

20190504_103438_HDR.jpg

Damn son, gimme some of that

"an obvious supporter of privacy"

2 hours ago, vinyldash303 said:

You need a proper alignment. A lot of the time shops will ‘toe and go’ and not look at camber and caster. Toe has the largest amount of effect on how tires wear but you need the whole lot looked at. Have them do a suspension inspection too. Worn out bushings and joints can also fuck up your tires 

None of that should be an issue on a 23k mike car though.

Recovering Apple addict

ASUS Zephyrus G14 2022

Spoiler

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 6900HS GPU: AMD r680M / RX 6700S RAM: 16GB DDR5 

On 5/12/2019 at 10:27 PM, terrytek said:

you could've gone GTI or even golf R, but i guess you wanted to stay within the family?

German cars are nice to admire from a distance for me but not to own.  I'd consider a Porsche, but not a standard VW.  BMW M cars would make the cut, along with Audi S7 or RS6.

Home PC: Apple M1 Mini, 16gb, 1TB, 10Gig-E.  Adobe CC and Ripping things + Daily stuff.

Gaming PC: Ryzen 7 5800x, 32GB, Nvidia RTX 3080Ti stuffed into a Corsair 380T.

Asgard the FreeNAS Plex Server: AMD EPYC 7443p 24 Core, SuperMicro H12SSL-CT Mobo, 256GB DDR4 3200mhz, Norco 4224 Rack Mount. 100TB+ TrueNAS Core.

Toys:

2017 Focus RS | Frozen White | Daily Driver

1989 Pontiac TransAm | GM Triple White | Heads/Cammed LT1 + T56 swap | Suspension goodies up the wazoo. | HPDE Weekend Warrior toy.