Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

How to have fun in a large FWD wagon with no power:

Go out in the forest and take corners way to fucking hot, smash the gas and let the FWD pull you out of the 45 degree slide you got into while spinning the steering wheel like you are on a ship

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

1 hour ago, terrytek said:

i can do both.

No

No you cant

Needs money for car parts :P

System specs: Core i7 9700k, Dark Rock Pro 4 , MSI Z390 PRO, 16GB CORSAIR VENGENCE DDR4 3000, EVGA GTX 1070 FTW, Corsair AX860, Seagate 1TB, Sandisk 240GB SSD, Corsair 400c

My Steam Profile (from SteamDB)

• Worth: £654 (£221 with sales)
  • Games owned: 62
  • Games played: 52 (83%)
  • Hours on record: 2,980.7h

1 hour ago, terrytek said:

i can do both.

you cant have a luxury boat ... and driver engagement ... it just doesnt work like that ... its gonna be a race car if you want driver engagement and most if not all luxuries will be gone 

Mobo - Asus Maximus VI Formula Ram - Kingston HyperX Fury 1866mhz CL10 16GBCPU - Intel i7 4790K ;

GPU - Gainward RTX 2070 Phantom ; PSU - Corsair RM750x Cooler - CM Hyper 212 EVO

48 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

Go out in the forest and take corners way to fucking hot, smash the gas and let the FWD pull you out of the 45 degree slide you got into while spinning the steering wheel like you are on a ship

awd is more fun that way, you throw the car into a turn and pray that the awd system works and the car goes the way you want it to xD 

Mobo - Asus Maximus VI Formula Ram - Kingston HyperX Fury 1866mhz CL10 16GBCPU - Intel i7 4790K ;

GPU - Gainward RTX 2070 Phantom ; PSU - Corsair RM750x Cooler - CM Hyper 212 EVO

10 minutes ago, PandaCopyRight said:

awd is more fun that way, you throw the car into a turn and pray that the awd system works and the car goes the way you want it to xD 

Yah, I wish I had AWD or RWD tbh but I can't complain when I got my Mondeo for free and it's so damn nice

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

Been driving fwd cars for a while gotta say dont like the feel with it right now i ride a honda cmx 500 rebel. I might get back my dads holden rodeo lx(rwd) needs to be fixed. For you international lot its it called either the vauxhall brava/frontier  or the isuzu /Chevrolet max d pick up truck  I think 

lives on

BAKABT

I believe that I have become anything but...a car enthusiast. I love my cheap little car. It's a 2008 Saturn Astra XR. If it breaks down, I'll just buy another car. I can slam the door and dents or scratches don't bother me the slightest. The car is rather comfy with heated seats and a panoramic sunroof. The fuel economy is excellent too. I also don't see the point of having a fast and good handling vehicle when speed limits are rather...low! It never really goes over 110 km/h in Canada. You go to Europe and almost every highway is 130 km/h.

As a French guy, I actually loathe the necessity of owning a vehicle. North American cities are built like trash. You can't go anywhere without burning fuel. There are more roads and parking lots than there are people. There is no space to walk around because cars are all over the place and sidewalks are an afterthought. I can honestly say that Paris feels vastly less crowded, spacious and quieter than a small Canadian town of 4000 people without sidewalks. The town of Bonnyville drives me angry. It may sound absurd, but Paris isn't that crowded in some areas. There are quiet neighbourhoods where everything you need is at walking distance. You don't see many cars in the narrow streets because driving is a pain.

I just like how my car shows the world how much I loathe cars and driving in general. It's small, cheap, bland and slow. It's from a defunct brand that built the most forgettable cars called Saturn.

On 6/14/2018 at 4:07 PM, chaozbandit said:

@warmmilk One of the guys I know who races regularly in the US F1600 (Hoosiers) makes the occassional trip North to race in Canada. Interesting watching how slidey he gets on these R888Rs

well of course they're slidey compared to hoosiers... haha

HP something | 5600X | Corsair  16GB | Zotac ArcticStorm GTX 1080 Ti | Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | OCZ Agility 3 480GB | ADATA SP550 960 GB

Corsair AX860i | CaseLabs SM8 | EK Supremacy | UT60 420 | ST30 360 | ST30 240

Gentle Typhoon's and Noctua's and Noiseblocker eLoop's

4 minutes ago, warmmilk said:

well of course they're slidey compared to hoosiers... haha

:D

Untitled.png

Folding@Home | BOINC

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X + Celsius S36 GPU: ASUS TUF RTX3080 

MB: ASRock x470 Taichi RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-2666 32GB 

CASE: Fractal Design Define 7 Panda STORAGE: WD Black SN770 2TB + WD Red Pro 6TB

5 hours ago, PandaCopyRight said:

you cant have a luxury boat ... and driver engagement ... it just doesnt work like that ... its gonna be a race car if you want driver engagement and most if not all luxuries will be gone 

You sir have never have never driven a Cadillac 60 special, 500 cubic inches of driver engagement, and enough float to force you to be engaged so you don't go off the damn road. Driving modern highway speeds in one of those keeps you so attentive your butthole will pucker up to the point it sucks up that pillowy leather seat you are sitting on. 

7 hours ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

That's exactly what I did when I was stock, that and FWD donuts in the dirt

CPU: R5 5800X3D Motherboard - MSI X570 Gaming Plus RAM - 32GB Corsair DDR4 GPU - XFX 7900 XTX 4GB Case - NZXT H5 Flow (White) Storage - 2X 4TB Samsung 990 Pro PSU - Corsair RM100E Cooling - Corsair H100i Elite Capellix Keyboard Corsair K70 (Brown Switches)  Mouse - Corsair Nightsword RGB

5 hours ago, kokakolia said:

I believe that I have become anything but...a car enthusiast. I love my cheap little car. It's a 2008 Saturn Astra XR. If it breaks down, I'll just buy another car. I can slam the door and dents or scratches don't bother me the slightest. The car is rather comfy with heated seats and a panoramic sunroof. The fuel economy is excellent too. I also don't see the point of having a fast and good handling vehicle when speed limits are rather...low! It never really goes over 110 km/h in Canada. You go to Europe and almost every highway is 130 km/h.

As a French guy, I actually loathe the necessity of owning a vehicle. North American cities are built like trash. You can't go anywhere without burning fuel. There are more roads and parking lots than there are people. There is no space to walk around because cars are all over the place and sidewalks are an afterthought. I can honestly say that Paris feels vastly less crowded, spacious and quieter than a small Canadian town of 4000 people without sidewalks. The town of Bonnyville drives me angry. It may sound absurd, but Paris isn't that crowded in some areas. There are quiet neighbourhoods where everything you need is at walking distance. You don't see many cars in the narrow streets because driving is a pain.

I just like how my car shows the world how much I loathe cars and driving in general. It's small, cheap, bland and slow. It's from a defunct brand that built the most forgettable cars called Saturn.

I dont suppose it looks like one of these does it?

Screenshot_20180530-221237_Facebook.jpg

System specs: Core i7 9700k, Dark Rock Pro 4 , MSI Z390 PRO, 16GB CORSAIR VENGENCE DDR4 3000, EVGA GTX 1070 FTW, Corsair AX860, Seagate 1TB, Sandisk 240GB SSD, Corsair 400c

3 hours ago, RevoltTrain said:

That's exactly what I did when I was stock, that and FWD donuts in the dirt

Yah I had a load of fun with it, my passages not so much I don't think xD

Builds:

Spoiler

Update on the SAAB, I finally got the radiator, there were some problems at the factory that made the "copper fins" that goes in the "radiator shell" (i don't know the English terms), but while i was waiting for the radiator I worked on the rear brakes. 

20180613_204116.thumb.jpg.889b112a8d82aebfaf0332df8430afec.jpg

Changed everything, except for the drums, I got em lathed, I have made new brake lines, the brake hose in this pictures is old, I have the new one here on my desk right now.

20180609_145858.thumb.jpg.ad4280cbbaf381c9acc9bef39ede8443.jpg

aaaand it starts! Here's a video 

CPU: r7 2700x;  GPU: EVGA GTX 980 ti sli; RAM: 16GB DDR4; MoBo: ASUS CH VII HERO x470; PSU: Seasonic Prime 850 Titanium; Case: Be Quiet! Dark Base 900 PRO; SSD: Kingston 120 GB; HDD: 1x 500 GB 1x 2TB 1x 3TB;

My Anime List 300+ completed

On 6/16/2018 at 2:28 AM, AlwaysFSX said:

I say you get an automatic, fwd, no ac, crank windows, and maybe cupholders.

I have one cupholder in the front of my car. Passenger just holds their drink. 

On 6/16/2018 at 12:25 PM, kokakolia said:

It's actually a Holden unlucky man. Make sure to tune into the Bathurst V8s as a Holden fan :)

6 hours ago, Dylanc1500 said:

You sir have never have never driven a Cadillac 60 special, 500 cubic inches of driver engagement, and enough float to force you to be engaged so you don't go off the damn road. Driving modern highway speeds in one of those keeps you so attentive your butthole will pucker up to the point it sucks up that pillowy leather seat you are sitting on. 

the car having absolutely 0 reactions to your steering input is not driver engagement :P

39 minutes ago, RorzNZ said:

It's actually a Holden unlucky man. Make sure to tune into the Bathurst V8s as a Holden fan :)

the Astra was from different brands (still GM) in different markets
Most of europe - Opel
UK - Vauxhall
North America - Saturn

AU and NZ - Holden

GM being GM ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

1 hour ago, RorzNZ said:

Its actually an Opel 

31 minutes ago, PandaCopyRight said:

Most of europe - Opel
UK - Vauxhall
North America - Saturn

AU and NZ - Holden

GM being GM ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Its probably a Lada in asia

So good to see the old DBR9 racing again. Unsurprisingly an un-BOPd new generation vantage is faster than the old V8 Vantage GTE, possibly as fast as a current BOP'd GTE as well.

Those Vulcan AMR Pros though!

Folding@Home | BOINC

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X + Celsius S36 GPU: ASUS TUF RTX3080 

MB: ASRock x470 Taichi RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-2666 32GB 

CASE: Fractal Design Define 7 Panda STORAGE: WD Black SN770 2TB + WD Red Pro 6TB

On 6/16/2018 at 10:44 PM, PandaCopyRight said:

Most of europe - Opel
UK - Vauxhall
North America - Saturn

AU and NZ - Holden

GM being GM ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

On 6/16/2018 at 11:15 PM, iDeFecZx said:

Its actually an Opel 

I know but Holden is the best name ;)

18 minutes ago, RorzNZ said:

I know but Holden is the best name ;)

nah m8, Vauxhall .... cause most of the world doesnt know how to spell it correctly :P 

7 hours ago, iDeFecZx said:

I dont suppose it looks like one of these does it?

Screenshot_20180530-221237_Facebook.jpg

You're 60% correct. This looks a lot like my car, the color is the same too. Mine isn't as polished and it has 4 doors.

1 hour ago, kokakolia said:

You're 60% correct. This looks a lot like my car, the color is the same too. Mine isn't as polished and it has 4 doors.

That was just the only pic I have of an astra that gen lol.