Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

So Update time...

Let's start with the Bad... The ST has Decided it likes Vaping, and I'm a very disappointed parent: 

Everyone is quick to jump to Turbo seals but the big thing is its super Intermittent like will go a week with no smoke then smoke for 20 seconds and gone. Even in the Video, the smoke at the end is just condensation. also on this Turbo its a Steel ring like a Piston ring and highly unlikely. What guys have suggested to me is an issue with the 1 way valve on the Inlet oil feed going into the turbo. The coolant hasn't dropped any and engine oil doesn't have a trace of milkiness so at least it's not the head gasket. So from what I can gather its either the inlet or outlet from the Turbo oil and its basically just dumping a bit right into the turbo and burning it out, Good part is it won't do any damage to anything bad part is I'll have to watch oil. 

Next post, big update on my BMW Nugget :P 

Redstone:
i7-4770 / Z97 / GTX 980 / Corsair 16GB  / H90 / 400C / Antec EDGE / Neutron GTX240 / Intel 240Gb / WD 2TB / BenQ XL24

Obsidian:

MSI GE60 2PE i7-4700HQ / 860M / 12GB / WE 1TB / m.Sata 256gb/Elagto USB HD Capture Card

Razer Deathadder Chroma / Razer Blackwidow TE Chroma / Kingston Cloud2's / Sennheiser 429 / Logitech Z333

This phone takes some amazing pics sometimes... 

25E0085F-0C0F-4C0E-BE46-4A6328D4703C.jpeg

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

7 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

still got the x?

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 32GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Logitech G815 / Logitech G502 / Sennheiser HD 599

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / S23 Ultra

This is my baby at the moment;

38586358246_72b5df515f_k.jpg5 Series Sport by Alex Wilson Photography, on Flickr

38642550461_2b79ddde83_k.jpgBack of 525i #2 by Alex Wilson Photography, on Flickr

It's a 2003 E39 BMW 525i and I love it. It's in great condition, has 150k miles or so but runs super well. Been trying my best to take care of it and keep it very nice. Only non-factory items is just an upgraded radio which I wish I could have the old radio back but with bluetooth or AUX, I looked up a retrofit or two but it seemed to be a lot more money than I wanted to spend, but maybe I'll do it eventually. Also it needs a new rear auto sun shade & rear passenger side sunshade.

Gaming Rig - Excalibur - CPU: i5 6600k @ 4.1GHz, CPU Cooler: Hyper 212 Evo, Mobo: MSI Gaming M3 RAM: 16GB Corsair @2400MHz, GPU: EVGA 1060, Case: NZXT Phantom Full Tower (Red)

My Virtualization Server - Dell R710: 2x X5570s @ 2.93GHz with 32GB DDR3 RAM [Web Server, OSX, Plex, Reverse Proxy]

I love computers, gaming, coding, and photography! Be sure to quote me so I can respond to your post!

1 hour ago, bimmerman said:

I still miss that Leggy and want to build a proper H6 manual wagon someday. I've been tempted to build an E46 M3 wagon

THIS

SO MUCH THIS

"an obvious supporter of privacy"

2 hours ago, Chris_nz said:

yea there isnt a whole lot you can do to them. you can turbo them or supercharge them ( there is a bolt on supercharger kit you can buy) but its either alot of money or hurts reliability. Turboing would only allow a low boost situation as the engine is a high compression engine. but it would better than supercharging.

there is a CAI you can get that gives you a little bump in HP. which i might do. but it would need to be re-tuned. 

if anything. especially for the EZ30, a tune would be best money spent. the stock tune on the cars are ridiculous. fuel maps are everywhere, the throttle input 'Lag' is highly annoying. and the sorta Vtec 'kick' you get at 3500rpm+ is fun, but you get next to no low rpm performance until then.

A tune? for a CAI? I think that's a bit extra since really they don't add THAT much power. Really the only reason for one was better induction noise (those can SUCK) and theoretically cooler air intake temps but really you can't exactly notice a fair bump in power. Made my car feel somewhat livelier though.

Still think you should attempt a turbo H6 if you possibly can.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

1 hour ago, Chris_nz said:

yeah its isnt the quickest thing ever, but the torque feels great. ive done a track day in it as well. got owned by all the modded Evos and wrx's out there but hey who cares. Im interested in doing swaybars as well. but its not on the "need/want to do list". I think for me, its quite expensive to get parts (NZ Exchange rate is terrible) so things get put on hold until i can afford it, or other things i wanna do are done.

I'd recommend sway bars (Whiteline is an AU company so the exchange rate + shipping might not be so horrid) above most things. A big front sway to dial out a lot of the understeer with a big rear sway to make the car actually rotate was the single biggest improvement I made on my Subaru. With the sways, the rear end would show up on occasion under spirited use.

Never handled like a BMW, but did handle way less econoboxy.

6 minutes ago, JoaoPRSousa said:

THIS

SO MUCH THIS

Heh. My brother has an E46 325i and I've got a bunch of E46 M3 spare parts (cluster, EWS, exhaust, etc) that I didn't use in my S54 E36 swap. Just need an engine and it'd be up and running. I had help on my swap from a friend who has E46 M3-ized TWO E46 sedans, so....I've got plenty of support to make it doable. Just stupid pricey, and the engine makes no torque. LS3 E46 wagon though, that'd be tits for a DD, and likely cheaper. WAY cheaper to run, that's for sure. 

6 minutes ago, terrytek said:

A tune? for a CAI? I think that's a bit extra since really they don't add THAT much power. Really the only reason for one was better induction noise (those can SUCK) and theoretically cooler air intake temps but really you can't exactly notice a fair bump in power. Made my car feel somewhat livelier though.

Still think you should attempt a turbo H6 if you possibly can.

the way i have it setup up atm, My car is kIDo Tuned, which the guy who tuned it has given my lifetime free tunes for the car. so adding things like CAI or a turbo means i can get it tuned for free. xD

link here to the intake im referring to. they recommend getting it tuned due to the increase in airflow.

http://raptorsc.com.au/subaru/subaru-libertylegacy-h6-3-0-ram-air-cai-kits/

9 minutes ago, bimmerman said:

I'd recommend sway bars (Whiteline is an AU company so the exchange rate + shipping might not be so horrid) above most things. A big front sway to dial out a lot of the understeer with a big rear sway to make the car actually rotate was the single biggest improvement I made on my Subaru. With the sways, the rear end would show up on occasion under spirited use.

Never handled like a BMW, but did handle way less econoboxy.

Heh. My brother has an E46 325i and I've got a bunch of E46 M3 spare parts (cluster, EWS, exhaust, etc) that I didn't use in my S54 E36 swap. Just need an engine and it'd be up and running. I had help on my swap from a friend who has E46 M3-ized TWO E46 sedans, so....I've got plenty of support to make it doable. Just stupid pricey, and the engine makes no torque. LS3 E46 wagon though, that'd be tits for a DD, and likely cheaper. WAY cheaper to run, that's for sure. 

Yeah im definately think whiteline. i can get them here in NZ luckily. im also told to upgrade the swaybar links, as the factory ones will shear due to the increased stiffness of the sawybar

1 minute ago, Chris_nz said:

Yeah im definately think whiteline. i can get them here in NZ luckily. im also told to upgrade the swaybar links, as the factory ones will shear due to the increased stiffness of the sawybar

I upgraded my end links with the Whiteline ones. Never had issues, but never tried without.

6 minutes ago, Chris_nz said:

the way i have it setup up atm, My car is kIDo Tuned, which the guy who tuned it has given my lifetime free tunes for the car. so adding things like CAI or a turbo means i can get it tuned for free. xD

link here to the intake im referring to. they recommend getting it tuned due to the increase in airflow.

http://raptorsc.com.au/subaru/subaru-libertylegacy-h6-3-0-ram-air-cai-kits/

OK at least that one has a heat shield maybe it can bring some performance gains. Mine just sucks in front of the wheel plastic shield so it can help but it's still a long path for air to travel.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

8 minutes ago, bimmerman said:

I upgraded my end links with the Whiteline ones. Never had issues, but never tried without.

yeah ive just heard stories, ive also been told to remove my fron swaybar for better cornering on the track, i noticed the mad oversteer when i went on the track. xD i never did try removing it

4 minutes ago, terrytek said:

OK at least that one has a heat shield maybe it can bring some performance gains. Mine just sucks in front of the wheel plastic shield so it can help but it's still a long path for air to travel.

yeah the graphs are pretty legit, they spend quite alot of time testing their products, the only thing ive been told is the MAF sensor maxes out a 300mgs or something, and needs to go beyond that. 

1 hour ago, kittycannon said:

My parents used to own a H6 Legacy Lancaster 6. I think it was a 2002?

Wish they didn't sell it cause it was such a cool car

19511t7n5d.jpg.9e554374b49817d4bb4bb8ef8c2b7d62.jpg

(this is not our car)

I had two of those, one back in SA. went to 350 000KM with very few issues

bought one in NZ when I got here and poor thing was heavily abused and badly maintained. but still, love that shape, look at one recently as a Tow car for the track car. 

Redstone:
i7-4770 / Z97 / GTX 980 / Corsair 16GB  / H90 / 400C / Antec EDGE / Neutron GTX240 / Intel 240Gb / WD 2TB / BenQ XL24

Obsidian:

MSI GE60 2PE i7-4700HQ / 860M / 12GB / WE 1TB / m.Sata 256gb/Elagto USB HD Capture Card

Razer Deathadder Chroma / Razer Blackwidow TE Chroma / Kingston Cloud2's / Sennheiser 429 / Logitech Z333

9 minutes ago, Chris_nz said:

yeah ive just heard stories, ive also been told to remove my fron swaybar for better cornering on the track, i noticed the mad oversteer when i went on the track. xD i never did try removing it

I'm also NZ, which track days/events you do? 

Redstone:

Obsidian:

1 minute ago, Not_Sean said:

I had two of those, one back in SA. went to 350 000KM with very few issues

bought one in NZ when I got here and poor thing was heavily abused and badly maintained. but still, love that shape, look at one recently as a Tow car for the track car. 

welcome to NZ! xD cars are pretty abused around here, especially subbies lol

Just now, Not_Sean said:

I'm also NZ, which track days/events you do? 

Nice! im in Christchurch and go to the Christchurch Trackdays, they are on every month, ive only done 1 event. but im looking at going again! xD

4 minutes ago, Chris_nz said:

welcome to NZ! xD cars are pretty abused around here, especially subbies lol

Thanks man, Yeah been here a Year and my love of Scoobies has died somewhat seeing so so many that are just abused and god awful cannon exhausts on every single one. 

3 minutes ago, Chris_nz said:

Nice! im in Christchurch and go to the Christchurch Trackdays, they are on every month, ive only done 1 event. but im looking at going again! xD

aaahhh south Island bit far but you guys do seem to have great events. I'm up in Gisborne so nice long drive to all the tracks for me :(

Redstone:

Obsidian:

1 hour ago, bcredeur97 said:

25E0085F-0C0F-4C0E-BE46-4A6328D4703C.jpeg

That is a gorgeous shed

====>The car thread<====>Dark Souls thread<====>Placeholder<====
"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

7 minutes ago, Not_Sean said:

Thanks man, Yeah been here a Year and my love of Scoobies has died somewhat seeing so so many that are just abused and god awful cannon exhausts on every single one. 

aaahhh south Island bit far but you guys do seem to have great events. I'm up in Gisborne so nice long drive to all the tracks for me :(

yeah man Cannon central around here. 

you should take a look at these guys

https://www.facebook.com/flatnats/

pretty much a subbie group, got some real nice cars, some are modded some are stock, they usually do events up north? last year it was down here at Ruapuna. 

you should move to the south!, not much humidity down here haha.

https://www.facebook.com/events/1664789363616154/

Next event is in taupo!

1 hour ago, vetali said:

still got the x?

yep

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

6 minutes ago, techswede said:

That is a gorgeous shed

it really is. All kinda of cool stuff on Avery Island.

Spoiler

5 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

yep

Would you ever take a pixel 2 over one? I'm just imagining what current flagship I would theoretically get if I had money to afford either.

Just now, bcredeur97 said:

yep

my 8plus still blows me away. took a pic the other day that was just like, wow.

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 32GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Logitech G815 / Logitech G502 / Sennheiser HD 599

9 hours ago, vinyldash303 said:

Here you've gotta be 21 to normally get one. 

I'd imagine its sort of the same there. 

Rental companies dont want a 16-18 year old driving their car simply because they haven't been diving as long as most 21+ year olds. 

What. It's 25 here... 

Main Gaming PC (new): HP Omen 30L || i9 10850K || RTX 3070 || 512GB WD Blue NVME || 2TB HDD, 4TB HDD, 8TB HDD ||  750W P2 ||  16GB HyperX Black DDR4

Main Gaming PC (old, still own) : Intel Core i7 7700K @5.0Ghz || GPU: GTX 1080 Seahawk EK X || Motherboard: Maximus VIII Impact || Case: Fractal Design Define Nano S || RAM : 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 

Cooling: EK XRES D5 100mm || Alphacool ST30 280mm w/ Vardars || Alphacool ST30 240mm w/ Vardars || Swiftech 3/8 x 1/2'' Lok-Seal Compressions || Swiftech EVGA Hydrocopper Block || Primochill Advanced LRT Orange || Distilled Water

Folding@Home Rig: 2x X5690s @4.6Ghz || GPUs: 2x Radeon HD 7990 || Motherboard: EVGA SR-2 || Case: Corsair 900D || RAM: 48GB Corsair Dominator GT 2000Mhz CL9

Ethereum Mining Rig: Pentium G4400 || Gigabyte Z170X-UD5 TH || 2x GTX 1060s (Samsung & Hynix) 1x GTX 1070 (Micron), 2x RX480s BIOS modded (Samsung), 1x R9 290X 8GB, 1x GTX 1660 Super = ~ 195 Mh/s

Peripherals: 3x U2412M (5760x1200), 1x U3011 (2560x1600) || Logitech G710 (Cherry Blues) || Logitech G600 || Brainwavz HM5 with @Gofspar Mod 

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 || "Infinity Edge" 4K IPS Screen || i7 7700HQ || GTX 1050 || 16GB 2400Mhz RAM 

1 minute ago, terrytek said:

Would you ever take a pixel 2 over one? I'm just imagining what current flagship I would theoretically get if I had money to afford either.

thats comparing android to ios, so pretty apples to oranges. depends on which os you like more. Pixel 2 has a better camera.