Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

1 hour ago, TVwazhere said:

Damn, my 2016 ST has 16.4k miles on it, and yours is at least 2014. 

And I thought I barely drove my car! LOL

i believe yearly average for most cars is 15k/year. and that's about what I do...

then there is the crazies like my dad... he does 25k a year lol

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

2 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

i believe yearly average for most cars is 15k/year. and that's about what I do...

I'm half that right now at 8k/year. I cant imagine only 3-4k. 

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

Speaking of my dad and his 25k a year...

RIP my dad’s A6

How he explained it to me:

Someone was taking a left turn onto the road he was on and went across his lane of traffic and he(dad) slammed into him

other person: “I didn’t see him” 

pffft

wonder if it’s totaled. The car has 110k miles and worth about $18-20k ish. That’s a lot of damage to a bunch of panels and maybe the frame a little on a German car (expensive parts)

589D327C-2496-458B-B7CA-4EC50898CEA9.jpeg

E0570EBB-458A-4DAA-B346-BAFDDB305B68.jpeg

7652712F-37F5-4FA2-A560-016A9CBBBCEE.jpeg

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

18 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

RIP my dad’s A6

Someone was taking a left turn onto the road he was on and went across his lane of traffic and he(dad) slammed into him

pffft

wonder if it’s totaled. The car has 110k miles and worth about $18-20k ish. That’s a lot of damage to a bunch of panels and maybe the frame a little on a German car (expensive parts)

Juju strikes again.

3 hours ago, bcredeur97 said:

COME TO THE DARK SIDE MY FRIEND

We have free cookies and haircuts ^_^

I blame my mates for tempting me haha

Im gonna try find one to test drive before I decide since i've not been known to be a fan of them aha

25551974_1785491861494916_4710879540525706583_n.jpg

Needs money for car parts :P

System specs: Core i7 9700k, Dark Rock Pro 4 , MSI Z390 PRO, 16GB CORSAIR VENGENCE DDR4 3000, EVGA GTX 1070 FTW, Corsair AX860, Seagate 1TB, Sandisk 240GB SSD, Corsair 400c

My Steam Profile (from SteamDB)

• Worth: £654 (£221 with sales)
  • Games owned: 62
  • Games played: 52 (83%)
  • Hours on record: 2,980.7h

37 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

RIP my dad’s A6

pffft

If that was here it'd only be about £3k to fix providing the chassis fine, any airbags go off?

System specs: Core i7 9700k, Dark Rock Pro 4 , MSI Z390 PRO, 16GB CORSAIR VENGENCE DDR4 3000, EVGA GTX 1070 FTW, Corsair AX860, Seagate 1TB, Sandisk 240GB SSD, Corsair 400c

3 minutes ago, iDeFecZx said:

I blame my mates for tempting me haha

Im gonna try find one to test drive before I decide since i've not been known to be a fan of them aha

-snip-

they're great. nimble little things.

Feel like you can just dart all over the road with no problem

Spoiler

28 minutes ago, iDeFecZx said:

If that was here it'd only be about £3k to fix providing the chassis fine, any airbags go off?

no.

It's probably not as bad as it looks as you say. I was told by the shop that did the work on my miata Lafayette parish is the most expensive place in the entire continental 48 states in the US for car repairs. so I expect it to cost at minimum double that $3800ish figure you said

and also as a result, the most expensive place to insure a car. (hence why my miata is $130 a month.. now NB miatas are very cheap cars to insure, so it helps. but something like the corolla i used to have would of been closer to $200 lol)

at least gas is cheap here...

Spoiler

4 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

no.

It's probably not as bad as it looks as you say. I was told by the shop that did the work on my miata Lafayette parish is the most expensive place in the entire continental 48 states in the US for car repairs. so I expect it to cost at minimum double that $3800ish figure you said

and also as a result, the most expensive place to insure a car. (hence why my miata is $130 a month.. now NB miatas are very cheap cars to insure, so it helps. but something like the corolla i used to have would of been closer to $200 lol)

Why is it so expensive there..

2 minutes ago, AlwaysFSX said:

Why is it so expensive there..

High accident rate, Unskilled drivers, high risk of drunk drivers (people tend to drink a lot here), etc. etc.

you really got to be careful around here. especially at night never know when someone is just gonna pull out in front of you for no reason.. (like what happened to my dad...)

meanwhile the police only seem to pull people over for speeding.. not much else. even though everything else is what causes the accidents.

Spoiler

2 hours ago, bcredeur97 said:

I probably do 10k max since all I do is commute to school for now, and that's about 7 miles round trip. 5 days a week, that's about 2k/year give or take a few hundred miles.

1 hour ago, bcredeur97 said:

RIP my dad’s A6

pffft

E0570EBB-458A-4DAA-B346-BAFDDB305B68.jpeg

7652712F-37F5-4FA2-A560-016A9CBBBCEE.jpeg

Poor audi. So I assume your dad's at fault? And it looks like the truck is totaled, since truck isn't probably worth much in the first place and there might be frame damage. Audi on the other hand looks like you can get away with probably just some cosmetic damage and maybe bent radiator support.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

For yall engineering nerds:

@MEC-777 @warmmilk

Folding@Home | BOINC

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X + Celsius S36 GPU: ASUS TUF RTX3080 

MB: ASRock x470 Taichi RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-2666 32GB 

CASE: Fractal Design Define 7 Panda STORAGE: WD Black SN770 2TB + WD Red Pro 6TB

38 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

High accident rate, Unskilled drivers, high risk of drunk drivers (people tend to drink a lot here), etc. etc.

you really got to be careful around here. especially at night never know when someone is just gonna pull out in front of you for no reason.. (like what happened to my dad...)

meanwhile the police only seem to pull people over for speeding.. not much else. even though everything else is what causes the accidents.

Man if I were a cop there I'd be on a traffic stop every five minutes because of people doing dumb shit.

15 minutes ago, chaozbandit said:

For yall engineering nerds:

@MEC-777 @warmmilk

thanks for the vids, I'll check them out later  (and that coaching one too)

HP something | 5600X | Corsair  16GB | Zotac ArcticStorm GTX 1080 Ti | Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | OCZ Agility 3 480GB | ADATA SP550 960 GB

Corsair AX860i | CaseLabs SM8 | EK Supremacy | UT60 420 | ST30 360 | ST30 240

Gentle Typhoon's and Noctua's and Noiseblocker eLoop's

3 hours ago, bcredeur97 said:

they're great. nimble little things.

Feel like you can just dart all over the road with no problem

Yea, I couldnt care less about outright speed, nothing beats going as quickly as possible round the twisty bits for me

17 hours ago, AlwaysFSX said:

No issues here so far. Trans upsets me more than anything. Can't smoothly get back in to power at low speeds when you're coasting 3 third gear and get back on the gas. Shunts too much. And there's no throttle response at low speeds in 6th gear. Turbos suck for that.

Was something with buddies early Ecoboost. Is something about water slowly collecting in the intercooler?

10 hours ago, terrytek said:

Yes it was a joke, taken way too far. Too far to the point where the Tide CEO has stated they will discontinue tide pods.

Maybe you can mount your turbos down low or something, though the risk is when it rains it can suck up a whole lotta water and destroy everything. But a close tuck turbo setup might do you well in this case. Side mount turbos seem less efficient than front facing since air isn't being directly sucked in iirc.

Cannot have twin turbos down low, gotta show those babies off. I would just put a 90 or 45 degree elbow on the compressor end so the filter is facing forward & looking proper.

7 hours ago, iDeFecZx said:

Being tempted by MX5s now :o

Do it.

Miata

Is

Always

The

Answer

5 hours ago, TVwazhere said:

Damn, my 2016 ST has 16.4k miles on it, and yours is at least 2014. 

And I thought I barely drove my car! LOL

Haha, my ST is a 2014.
When you get to do 80% of your work from home & also have a truck your ST gets almost no use.

54 minutes ago, ACM said:

Was something with buddies early Ecoboost. Is something about water slowly collecting in the intercooler?

Yeah there's a recall for the early models to get a plate over the intercooler because in cool humid areas the intercooler will draw out moisture in the air and kill spark plugs.

2 hours ago, ACM said:

Cannot have twin turbos down low, gotta show those babies off. I would just put a 90 or 45 degree elbow on the compressor end so the filter is facing forward & looking proper.

Do it.

Miata

Is

Always

The

Answer

Haha, my ST is a 2014.
When you get to do 80% of your work from home & also have a truck your ST gets almost no use.

Well maybe change out the wheel wells to accommodate some big turbos?

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

1 hour ago, terrytek said:

Well maybe change out the wheel wells to accommodate some big turbos?

Been thinking of doing a tube front for a while. So that would work.

15535128_1619680948339598_5369960329872670720_n.jpg

15 hours ago, bcredeur97 said:

o.O

A Miata cheaper to insure than a Corolla? How's that?

14 hours ago, terrytek said:

Poor audi. So I assume your dad's at fault? And it looks like the truck is totaled, since truck isn't probably worth much in the first place and there might be frame damage. Audi on the other hand looks like you can get away with probably just some cosmetic damage and maybe bent radiator support.

full?d=1500091164

"an obvious supporter of privacy"

DAYTONA 24H STREAMING PREP

ALL CAPS TO GET YOUR ATTENTION

@MEC-777 @bcredeur97 @warmmilk

IMSA MASTER STREAM LINK: https://imsamulti-i.akamaihd.net/hls/live/523696/multimedia01/master_07.m3u8

DOWNLOAD THIS EMBEDDED STREAMING EXTENSION

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/native-hls-playback/emnphkkblegpebimobpbekeedfgemhof

???

PROFIT

LIVE TIMING

http://livetiming.alkamelsystems.com/imsa/

CATCH THE CTSC (GT4/TCR) RACE REPLAY HERE

ALTERNATIVELY RESTREAMED D24 HERE

Folding@Home | BOINC

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X + Celsius S36 GPU: ASUS TUF RTX3080 

MB: ASRock x470 Taichi RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-2666 32GB 

CASE: Fractal Design Define 7 Panda STORAGE: WD Black SN770 2TB + WD Red Pro 6TB

15 hours ago, ACM said:

Do it.

Miata

Is

Always

The

Answer

I always hear conflicting stuff about them.

Like loads of people say theyre great and really fun and others say you need to modify them to be fun. 

34 minutes ago, iDeFecZx said:

I always hear conflicting stuff about them.

Like loads of people say theyre great and really fun and others say you need to modify them to be fun. 

they are fun out of the box with good tires and an alignment.

but if you want them to be REALLY fun, or even scary then you can modify them.

its like with anything really... just like people think a supra is so awesome but when they say that they mean after it has been modified to have 500hp or more lol

Spoiler

Hey my dad just sold his 370z and he's thinking of either getting a  370z nismo (mk2) 2009 onwards or a 2009 onwards model porsche cayman 3.4s. Out of interest which would you guys get? I think I lean towards the nismo but I'm still on the fence :)

3 minutes ago, Lewiscpullan said:

Hey my dad just sold his 370z and he's thinking of either getting a  370z nismo (mk2) 2009 onwards or a 2009 onwards model porsche cayman 3.4s. Out of interest which would you guys get? I think I lean towards the nismo but I'm still on the fence :)

Nismo has my vote 

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016