Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

3 minutes ago, terrytek said:

I wholly approve of going turbo, but if you go v8, you gotta do a twin turbo setup. It just makes sense. And I think the S30 needs a hip enhancement with some wide fender flares. I think wider hips on the S30 looks better.

If I can make it fit I'll try. I would just need to get creative with the exhaust and wastegate routing. Something like a pair GT28 turbos would let me hit 500hp with minimal lag and allow smaller exhaust piping too. The flares would be like those in the picture just not as exaggerated.

These are the normal ZG flares:
https://retro-spec.myshopify.com/products/retro-spec-280z-260z-240z-zg-fender-flares

These are the wide ones:
https://retro-spec.myshopify.com/products/datsun-280z-260z-240z-wide-zg-fender-flares

4 minutes ago, ACM said:

If I can make it fit I'll try. I would just need to get creative with the exhaust and wastegate routing. Something like a pair GT28 turbos would let me hit 500hp with minimal lag and allow smaller exhaust piping too. The flares would be like those in the picture just not as exaggerated.

These are the normal ZG flares:
https://retro-spec.myshopify.com/products/retro-spec-280z-260z-240z-zg-fender-flares

These are the wide ones:
https://retro-spec.myshopify.com/products/datsun-280z-260z-240z-wide-zg-fender-flares

Maybe you could replace some headlights with air ducts for your turbos and mount them up front, then have the exhaust bend down and back? Not sure how much room you have to work with though. Man, if only you didn't live on the other side of the country then I would love to see this thing.

And the wide fenders imo look better.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

1 minute ago, terrytek said:

Maybe you could replace some headlights with air ducts for your turbos and mount them up front, then have the exhaust bend down and back? Not sure how much room you have to work with though. Man, if only you didn't live on the other side of the country then I would love to see this thing.

And the wide fenders imo look better.

That's possible, you could just modify a turbo velocity stack for the light housing. I wouldn't have headlights though. When it's finished anyone around CFL is welcome to come take some rides in it.

The engine bay is very long but very narrow.
I would have to do something like this.

Close tuck by the cylinder heads (Might have run the exhaust out the hood if I do this so I can clear the steering shaft):
cf944efb7ec4feb95af4bf829c1a3c6a--twin-t

Or up front by the accessories:
maxresdefault.jpg

I'm going to a meet up soon, I'll be able to see how I like the normal vs wide fenders in person.

4 hours ago, terrytek said:

Stick a turbo on that bitch. No really, find a turbo from a Duratec-RS motor and slap it on there.

I'm pretty sure I can barely afford the insurance as is xD would love to do it, but that also would need tools I don't have access too, like a welder

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

3 hours ago, ACM said:

The first Ecoboost F150s where iffy. The new ones are nice, the torque is a great bonus from the FI.
I've had Ford most my life so you can say I'm biased. 

No issues here so far. Trans upsets me more than anything. Can't smoothly get back in to power at low speeds when you're coasting 3 third gear and get back on the gas. Shunts too much. And there's no throttle response at low speeds in 6th gear. Turbos suck for that.

2 hours ago, vinyldash303 said:

If you dont have to run them year round you could do white. That might look good

steelies are just my winter tires, so yah white might be good too :D

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

12 hours ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

So its getting close to me haveing my proper car lisence so i now have a car(more or less) xD Its notthing great or anything but its in extremely good condition. I got a Ford Mondeo '99 in midnight blue with under 10k km on the meter :D Havent gotten to drive it yet but i have swapped it over to winter tires today, they are studded tires but the studds are pretty much gone but other than that they looked good.

The engine is a 150hp 2.0L 4 cylinder, so the most fun 4 cylinder that the car could come with, but not the most fun engine because it came with a 170hp 2.5L 6 cylinder too, so i got the fun of the booring engines :P Sounds really nice though, didnt get a video of it but it sounds way cooler than it really should be allowed to sound. 

here are some pictures off it, no hub caps because i still need to after tighten the lug nutts once i have taken it around the block:

Congrats man. Seems like a solid first car. :)

====>The car thread<====>Dark Souls thread<====>Placeholder<====
"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

9 hours ago, terrytek said:

Cylinder deactivation isn't really that much of an inconvenience, is it? I mean at least you can save some gas that would be wasted while idling or something.

As vetali said, the lifters because of how they are designed, tend to stick, and you end up with a misfiring engine. 

And to get to them you have to take a good part of the engine apart. So not like it’s a 1 hour swap ‘em and done kinda job. 

The engines are fine up until that point.... which seems to happen around the 60-80k mile mark for some reason :( 

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

10 hours ago, Not_Sean said:

Two Very important Questions.. 

what is this?!

When is this?!

Rolex 24 Hours of Daytona, Daytona International Speedway Road Course

January 27-28 2018

Streamed free on imsa.tv unless you are in the US.

10 hours ago, bcredeur97 said:

. They clearly aimed to undercut the Germans and I think they nailed it

Thats because a portion of the engineering staff (including top execs) were poached from Benz and //M. :P 

Folding@Home | BOINC

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X + Celsius S36 GPU: ASUS TUF RTX3080 

MB: ASRock x470 Taichi RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-2666 32GB 

CASE: Fractal Design Define 7 Panda STORAGE: WD Black SN770 2TB + WD Red Pro 6TB

Mmmmm tide pod donuts...

Seriously what is wrong with people? Why is this even a thing... how did it even start? Was it a joke that just went wrong?

B676C9BB-0962-4589-98F7-42DCF020524A.png

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

7 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

Mmmmm tide pod donuts...

Seriously what is wrong with people? Why is this even a thing... how did it even start? Was it a joke that just went wrong?

Joke that went wrong and dumb people being fucking dumb.

6 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

Mmmmm tide pod donuts...

B676C9BB-0962-4589-98F7-42DCF020524A.png

Yes it was a joke, taken way too far. Too far to the point where the Tide CEO has stated they will discontinue tide pods.

9 hours ago, ACM said:

That's possible, you could just modify a turbo velocity stack for the light housing. I wouldn't have headlights though. When it's finished anyone around CFL is welcome to come take some rides in it.

The engine bay is very long but very narrow.
I would have to do something like this.

Close tuck by the cylinder heads (Might have run the exhaust out the hood if I do this so I can clear the steering shaft):
cf944efb7ec4feb95af4bf829c1a3c6a--twin-t

Or up front by the accessories:
maxresdefault.jpg

I'm going to a meet up soon, I'll be able to see how I like the normal vs wide fenders in person.

Maybe you can mount your turbos down low or something, though the risk is when it rains it can suck up a whole lotta water and destroy everything. But a close tuck turbo setup might do you well in this case. Side mount turbos seem less efficient than front facing since air isn't being directly sucked in iirc.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

Just now, terrytek said:

Maybe you can mount your turbos down low or something, though the risk is when it rains it can suck up a whole lotta water and destroy everything. But a close tuck turbo setup might do you well in this case. Side mount turbos seem less efficient than front facing since air isn't being directly sucked in iirc.

Turbos shouldn't be sucking anything in unless you're a dildo that puts an airfilter directly on the air inlet on the turbo.  It should be piped to an airbox higher up and your entire system should be sealed from leaks.

7 minutes ago, AlwaysFSX said:

Turbos shouldn't be sucking anything in unless you're a dildo that puts an airfilter directly on the air inlet on the turbo.  It should be piped to an airbox higher up and your entire system should be sealed from leaks.

aaaand i'm being ignorant again. goodbye.

TIL Dion von Moltke (a legend in American GT racing, of Alex Job/Flying Lizards fame) is doing a coaching series on youtube, and he recently did a video on mosport!

@MEC-777 @warmmilk

Folding@Home | BOINC

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X + Celsius S36 GPU: ASUS TUF RTX3080 

MB: ASRock x470 Taichi RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-2666 32GB 

CASE: Fractal Design Define 7 Panda STORAGE: WD Black SN770 2TB + WD Red Pro 6TB

33 minutes ago, terrytek said:

aaaand i'm being ignorant again. goodbye.

No...? It's just a reminder that your air system needs to be sealed for leaks, and the point of airboxes being above water level is so water doesn't get sucked in directly. It's perfectly okay to stick a turbo next to the ground and drive it under water, the oil and air lines are sealed. It's in case of one of those pipes becoming unsealed where your problems lie.

5 minutes ago, AlwaysFSX said:

No...? It's just a reminder that your air system needs to be sealed for leaks, and the point of airboxes being above water level is so water doesn't get sucked in directly. It's perfectly okay to stick a turbo next to the ground and drive it under water, the oil and air lines are sealed. It's in case of one of those pipes becoming unsealed where your problems lie.

Well I keep forgetting that people don't run turbos without any sort of intake system, and that they route it so it doesn't end up destroying anything during a slight rainstorm. 

Intake manifold runner flaps broke on my gti. Might put the revised intake manifold on or a HPA intake manifold and delete the stupid runner flaps.

CPU: 6700K Case: Corsair Air 740 CPU Cooler: H110i GTX Storage: 2x250gb SSD 960gb SSD PSU: Corsair 1200watt GPU: EVGA 1080ti FTW3 RAM: 16gb DDR4 

Other Stuffs: Red sleeved cables, White LED lighting 2 noctua fans on cpu cooler and Be Quiet PWM fans on case.

2 hours ago, terrytek said:

Tide CEO has stated they will discontinue tide pods.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Being tempted by MX5s now :o

Needs money for car parts :P

System specs: Core i7 9700k, Dark Rock Pro 4 , MSI Z390 PRO, 16GB CORSAIR VENGENCE DDR4 3000, EVGA GTX 1070 FTW, Corsair AX860, Seagate 1TB, Sandisk 240GB SSD, Corsair 400c

My Steam Profile (from SteamDB)

• Worth: £654 (£221 with sales)
  • Games owned: 62
  • Games played: 52 (83%)
  • Hours on record: 2,980.7h

36 minutes ago, iDeFecZx said:

Being tempted by MX5s now :o

COME TO THE DARK SIDE MY FRIEND

We have free cookies and haircuts ^_^

Spoiler

29 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

COME TO THE DARK SIDE MY FRIEND

We have free cookies and haircuts ^_^

I want cookies..

Just now, AlwaysFSX said:

I want cookies..

mmm yeah I kinda do too. Like some traditional, homemade chocolate chip ones.

Those go down fast. so good. always eat way too many of them tho...

Spoiler

18 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

mmm yeah I kinda do too. Like some traditional, homemade chocolate chip ones.

Those go down fast. so good. always eat way too many of them tho...

I want to make some oatmeal chocolate chip cookies. Like so bad.

16 hours ago, ACM said:

I think I'm a little past 13K on it

Damn, my 2016 ST has 16.4k miles on it, and yours is at least 2014. 

And I thought I barely drove my car! LOL

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25