Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

2 minutes ago, JoaoPRSousa said:

Depends on where and how big it is.

:lenny:

it's about 6 inches wide. I'd put it on a side window.

Recovering Apple addict

ASUS Zephyrus G14 2022

Spoiler

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 6900HS GPU: AMD r680M / RX 6700S RAM: 16GB DDR5 

20 minutes ago, JoaoPRSousa said:

Depends on where and how big it is.

:lenny:

17 minutes ago, FuzzyYellow said:

it's about 6 inches wide. I'd put it on a side window.

Do not listen to this man he does not know the way! 

If you are going to put a TRD sticker on an Accord it needs to be a full windscreen sun trip. 

s-l1000.jpg

Redstone:
i7-4770 / Z97 / GTX 980 / Corsair 16GB  / H90 / 400C / Antec EDGE / Neutron GTX240 / Intel 240Gb / WD 2TB / BenQ XL24

Obsidian:

MSI GE60 2PE i7-4700HQ / 860M / 12GB / WE 1TB / m.Sata 256gb/Elagto USB HD Capture Card

Razer Deathadder Chroma / Razer Blackwidow TE Chroma / Kingston Cloud2's / Sennheiser 429 / Logitech Z333

44 minutes ago, FuzzyYellow said:

Quick question: Do I put a red TRD sticker on my Accord? xD

No

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 32GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Logitech G815 / Logitech G502 / Sennheiser HD 599

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / S23 Ultra

4 hours ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

So its getting close to me haveing my proper car lisence so i now have a car(more or less) xD Its notthing great or anything but its in extremely good condition. I got a Ford Mondeo '99 in midnight blue with under 10k km on the meter :D Havent gotten to drive it yet but i have swapped it over to winter tires today, they are studded tires but the studds are pretty much gone but other than that they looked good.

The engine is a 150hp 2.0L 4 cylinder, so the most fun 4 cylinder that the car could come with, but not the most fun engine because it came with a 170hp 2.5L 6 cylinder too, so i got the fun of the booring engines :P Sounds really nice though, didnt get a video of it but it sounds way cooler than it really should be allowed to sound. 

here are some pictures off it, no hub caps because i still need to after tighten the lug nutts once i have taken it around the block:

KTkIu3C.jpg

ot0kxUE.jpg

Stick a turbo on that bitch. No really, find a turbo from a Duratec-RS motor and slap it on there.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

4 hours ago, chaozbandit said:

BOIIIIIIIIIIIIIII DIS GUN B SO GOOD

Untitled.png

Two Very important Questions.. 

what is this?!

When is this?!

Redstone:
i7-4770 / Z97 / GTX 980 / Corsair 16GB  / H90 / 400C / Antec EDGE / Neutron GTX240 / Intel 240Gb / WD 2TB / BenQ XL24

Obsidian:

MSI GE60 2PE i7-4700HQ / 860M / 12GB / WE 1TB / m.Sata 256gb/Elagto USB HD Capture Card

Razer Deathadder Chroma / Razer Blackwidow TE Chroma / Kingston Cloud2's / Sennheiser 429 / Logitech Z333

^ not gonna lie, that’s a nice car. I don’t think Kia could of did any better.

the only thing that bothers me is it looks like the rear seats force you to sit in a very upright position. Probably not good for long trips...

but other than that... great car. They clearly aimed to undercut the Germans and I think they nailed it

He does bring a good point about SUV’s though. I don’t even like SUV’s... yet they sell like hot cakes nowadays. People just don’t want cars anymore and it makes me sad :( 

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

Hello!
New to the forum. Started to migrate over here since OCN is currently corporate evil & a complete mess. Bye for now the forum I've been on for a third of my life.

I spent most of my time in the OCN equivalent of this thread. Here's my latest project.

6W4Q6Or.gif

3 minutes ago, ACM said:

OCN is currently corporate evil & a complete mess

Thats interesting, I ditched them 5 years ago and joined LTT afterwards.

Whats your project entail?

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 32GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Logitech G815 / Logitech G502 / Sennheiser HD 599

Just now, vetali said:

Thats interesting, I ditched them 5 years ago and joined LTT afterwards.

Whats your project entail?

Yeah, OCN got bought out by VerticalScope & they almost destroyed the site with their modified AVS Forum vBulletin theme. The site doesn't even have HTTPS right now.

The car is a 1977 Datsun 280Z.
Picked it up for $600 in Northern Georgia. It needs a lot of work (S30 chassis are notorious for rusting, I'll be welding in new floor pans and frame rails). I just recently pulled the engine out with my buddy & it's a complete sewer with only one rod bent! I plan on swapping in a Japanese V8 (probably a 1UZFE) & a CD009 6 speed.

Just now, ACM said:

Yeah, OCN got bought out by VerticalScope & they almost destroyed the site with their modified AVS Forum vBulletin theme. The site doesn't even have HTTPS right now.

Picked it up for $600 in Northern Georgia. It needs a lot of work (S30 chassis are notorious for rusting, I'll be welding in new floor pans and frame rails). I just recently pulled the engine out with my buddy & it's a complete sewer with only one rod bent! I plan on swapping in a Japanese V8 (probably a 1UZFE) & a CD009 6 speed.

Yeah I didn't like OCN because they tried to be too goody-two shoes. Generally made dealing with anybody that had a ton of rep infuriating because of their e-ego based on fake points. Looks like this company owns a ton of those really bad automotive forums that are filled with ads on super outdated software as well.

Sounds like a project for sure. I know someone that is ecstatic that you are putting a toyota motor in there...

3 minutes ago, vetali said:

Yeah I didn't like OCN because they tried to be too goody-two shoes. Generally made dealing with anybody that had a ton of rep infuriating because of their e-ego based on fake points. Looks like this company owns a ton of those really bad automotive forums that are filled with ads on super outdated software as well.

Sounds like a project for sure. I know someone that is ecstatic that you are putting a toyota motor in there...

When I first joined OCN I was always posting in the computer related topics. Like 6 years ago mostly stayed in Off Topic chatting with familiar faces. I don't have much hope with such a crap company running it now.

Toyota engineering was #1 in the late 80's early 90's! I could go VH45 but the 1UZFE is better in my opinion.

These are what I drive around daily.

IMG_6978.jpg

IMG_20171216_105826.jpg

1 minute ago, ACM said:

When I first joined OCN I was always posting in the computer related topics. Like 6 years ago mostly stayed in Off Topic chatting with familiar faces. I don't have much hope with such a crap company running it now.

Toyota engineering was #1 in the late 80's early 90's! I could go VH45 but the 1UZFE is better in my opinion.

These are what I drive around daily.

Toyota was fun back when they cared about performance cars. They are getting back into it, however gating it behind Lexus.

We got a few STs here. I like the F150 though. 5.0?

1 minute ago, vetali said:

Toyota was fun back when they cared about performance cars. They are getting back into it, however gating it behind Lexus.

Very true, they only really care about boring people carriers right now. They got their mystery bmw-supra floating around though.

Love my little ST but I probably won't keep it much longer since I hardly drive it, I think I'm a little past 13K on it. The F-150 is a wonky 3.5L Non-Ecoboost. I'll be trading it in with the ST soon for a nice 2018 SCREW Ecoboost.

28 minutes ago, ACM said:

1UZ you say? At least it's not another LS swapped S30. Those irk me. Here at least you're keeping it Japanese. Is it gonna be restomodded as a street car or like what are plans for it?

6 minutes ago, vetali said:

Looks like a base crew cab XL, so I would assume 3.7 v6, unless you can get a 5.0 with the XL trim.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

4 minutes ago, ACM said:

Very true, they only really care about boring people carriers right now. They got their mystery bmw-supra floating around though.

Love my little ST but I probably won't keep it much longer since I hardly drive it, I think I'm a little past 13K on it. The F-150 is a wonky 3.5L Non-Ecoboost. I'll be trading it in with the ST soon for a nice 2018 SCREW Ecoboost.

I don't mind the ecoboost in the f150, especially now that the new ones have dual injection to prevent carboning up valves.... but the 5.0 exists so meh. More of a chevy guy myself but the Fords look much better, plus no cylinder deactivation stuff.

Just now, vetali said:

I don't mind the ecoboost in the f150, especially now that the new ones have dual injection to prevent carboning up valves.... but the 5.0 exists so meh. More of a chevy guy myself but the Fords look much better, plus no cylinder deactivation stuff.

Cylinder deactivation isn't really that much of an inconvenience, is it? I mean at least you can save some gas that would be wasted while idling or something.

Just now, terrytek said:

Cylinder deactivation isn't really that much of an inconvenience, is it? I mean at least you can save some gas that would be wasted while idling or something.

Its annoying in my dads avalanche and seems too reluctant to swap out unless you mash the throttle. Plus eating cams and lifters down the road.

1 minute ago, vetali said:

Its annoying in my dads avalanche and seems too reluctant to swap out unless you mash the throttle. Plus eating cams and lifters down the road.

How would cylinder deactivation eat through cams and lifters?

9 minutes ago, terrytek said:

1UZ you say? At least it's not another LS swapped S30. Those irk me. Here at least you're keeping it Japanese. Is it gonna be restomodded as a street car or like what are plans for it?

Looks like a base crew cab XL, so I would assume 3.7 v6, unless you can get a 5.0 with the XL trim.

Seems like it.
Exactly, everyone and their grandmother swaps in those pushrod dinosaurs. Keeping a Japanese powertrain is a must for me plus the 1UZFE uncorked sounds amazing. I've been bouncing between restomod & Japanese rat rod style. One will cost a lot the other won't.
Yeah, it's a Super Crew XLT. Base 3.5L.

3 minutes ago, vetali said:

The first Ecoboost F150s where iffy. The new ones are nice, the torque is a great bonus from the FI.
I've had Ford most my life so you can say I'm biased. 

1 minute ago, terrytek said:

How would cylinder deactivation eat through cams and lifters?

The lifters go bad, and eat the cam. I dunno if the new motors do that. Not many have miles on them. All I know is they burn a lot of oil because of PCV passages and GM already has a revised valve cover out.

4 minutes ago, ACM said:

Seems like it.
Exactly, everyone and their grandmother swaps in those pushrod dinosaurs. Keeping a Japanese powertrain is a must for me plus the 1UZFE uncorked sounds amazing. I've been bouncing between restomod & Japanese rat rod style. One will cost a lot the other won't.
Yeah, it's a Super Crew XLT. Base 3.5L.

The first Ecoboost F150s where iffy. The new ones are nice, the torque is a great bonus from the FI.

I say if you got the knowhow to weld custom headers and exhaust, you twin turbo that sucker, because A) it's rarely been done with a 1UZ, most go either NA or supercharged, and B) turbo noises and whatnot, if you're into it. And I think a restomod would be best, since you keep the beautiful lines of the car. Though I have to say a Japanese rat rod is a pretty cool look.

6 minutes ago, vetali said:

The lifters go bad, and eat the cam. I dunno if the new motors do that. Not many have miles on them. All I know is they burn a lot of oil because of PCV passages and GM already has a revised valve cover out.

Is it mainly because on the cylinders that aren't in use they're not pushing air/fuel into them and it just messes up the natural cycle or something?

1 hour ago, bcredeur97 said:

^ not gonna lie, that’s a nice car. I don’t think Kia could of did any better.

the only thing that bothers me is it looks like the rear seats force you to sit in a very upright position. Probably not good for long trips...

but other than that... great car. They clearly aimed to undercut the Germans and I think they nailed it

He does bring a good point about SUV’s though. I don’t even like SUV’s... yet they sell like hot cakes nowadays. People just don’t want cars anymore and it makes me sad :( 

It's only automatic right?

i5 4670k| Asrock H81M-ITX| EVGA Nex 650g| WD Black 500Gb| H100 with SP120s| ASUS Matrix 7970 Platinum (just sold)| Patriot Venom 1600Mhz 8Gb| Bitfenix Prodigy. Build log in progress 

Build Log here: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/119926-yin-yang-prodigy-update-2-26-14/

14 minutes ago, ACM said:

I've grown up around chevy, jeep, dodge, honda. I currently own a mazda. /shrug

29 minutes ago, terrytek said:

I say if you got the knowhow to weld custom headers and exhaust, you twin turbo that sucker, because A) it's rarely been done with a 1UZ, most go either NA or supercharged, and B) turbo noises and whatnot, if you're into it. And I think a restomod would be best, since you keep the beautiful lines of the car. Though I have to say a Japanese rat rod is a pretty cool look.

Is it mainly because on the cylinders that aren't in use they're not pushing air/fuel into them and it just messes up the natural cycle or something?

I would just flip and cut the headers and weld some tubing the rest of the way to a T4 turbo flange near the front & slap a big single T70 turbo on & have 500whp (Would be through a MegaSquirt ECU). If I did rat rod style it would be on a more tame side & not extreme rusty kind.

Something kind of like this (Regular ZG flare though & not the wide style like in the picture, also no blastpipe exhaust & minimum tire stretch):
24320021996_61a701b475_b.jpg

15 minutes ago, vetali said:

I've grown up around chevy, jeep, dodge, honda. I currently own a mazda. /shrug

I've only had Nissan & Ford.
Suzuki & Yamaha too if you count motorcycles.

7 minutes ago, ACM said:

I would just flip and cut the headers and weld some tubing the rest of the way to a T4 turbo flange near the front & slap a big single T70 turbo on & have 500whp (Would be through a MegaSquirt ECU). If I did rat rod style it would be on a more tame side & not extreme rusty kind.

Something kind of like this (Regular ZG flare though & not the wide style like in the picture, also no blastpipe exhaust & minimum tire stretch):
24320021996_61a701b475_b.jpg

I've only had Nissan & Ford.
Suzuki & Yamaha too if you count motorcycles.

I wholly approve of going turbo, but if you go v8, you gotta do a twin turbo setup. It just makes sense. And I think the S30 needs a hip enhancement with some wide fender flares. I think wider hips on the S30 looks better.