Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

I need some input

Backstory: I recently bought a modded 20th anniversary GTI. It's in awesome condition and works great. The only issue with it is that it's tuned for 93 octane fuel, there is no place here that carries it. My options to get around this are

- Octane booster. It's what i used until now, but it's not a long term solution.

- Water/methanol injection. Works like the best octane booster ever with the added benefit of chemical charge cooling, has a consumable (but cheap) component to it.

- Tune the ECU for 91 octane. The most expensive option but also the most reliable one.

What would you guys go for?

System specs:

GTX 1050

16GB DDR3

Samsung evo SSD

a few HDD's

12 minutes ago, Terryv said:

I need some input

Backstory: I recently bought a modded 20th anniversary GTI. It's in awesome condition and works great. The only issue with it is that it's tuned for 93 octane fuel, there is no place here that carries it. My options to get around this are

- Octane booster. It's what i used until now, but it's not a long term solution.

- Water/methanol injection. Works like the best octane booster ever with the added benefit of chemical charge cooling, has a consumable (but cheap) component to it.

- Tune the ECU for 91 octane. The most expensive option but also the most reliable one.

Change the mapping for 91

Needs money for car parts :P

System specs: Core i7 9700k, Dark Rock Pro 4 , MSI Z390 PRO, 16GB CORSAIR VENGENCE DDR4 3000, EVGA GTX 1070 FTW, Corsair AX860, Seagate 1TB, Sandisk 240GB SSD, Corsair 400c

My Steam Profile (from SteamDB)

• Worth: £654 (£221 with sales)
  • Games owned: 62
  • Games played: 52 (83%)
  • Hours on record: 2,980.7h

21 minutes ago, Terryv said:

I need some input

Just wondering, where do you live that won't provide 93?

If it were me, I would dump a bit of cash so I wouldn't have to face these inconveniences, since 91 is probably more convenient and available than the other options.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

Like my new tail gate?

20171120_162012.thumb.jpg.db0ee9bb6351c212201405faefaf8b4b.jpg

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

1 hour ago, Terryv said:

I need some input

Last time I checked octane booster only raises octane by like .5 for a whole bottle (depends on how much gas is in the tank though) making it basically worthless

You need to tune it for 91 or less. Anything else you do just greatens the chance for something to go wrong.

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

@warmmilk that little hatch will be fun around a track lol

But yeah I beat him... he normally does better though so I think he just had a bad day. Also his re-71R’s were like bald in the rear so that wasn’t doing us any favors lol

i love how the suspension felt with koni yellows; very responsive feel and not too much body roll. I need some lol

The turbo was annoying idk. We turned everything (TC/ESC/whatever else) off fully of course. Perhaps the ecu does do some torque management idk. Needs smaller turbo haha

He did record me... it was a cool angle he had the camera at; it was on the rear window and you could see me kind of and the left side of the car. I’m interested to watch it

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

17 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

@warmmilk that little hatch will be fun around a track lol

But yeah I beat him... he normally does better though so I think he just had a bad day. Also his re-71R’s were like bald in the rear so that wasn’t doing us any favors lol

i love how the suspension felt with koni yellows; very responsive feel and not too much body roll. I need some lol

The turbo was annoying idk. We turned everything (TC/ESC/whatever else) off fully of course. Perhaps the ecu does do some torque management idk. Needs smaller turbo haha

He did record me... it was a cool angle he had the camera at; it was on the rear window and you could see me kind of and the left side of the car. I’m interested to watch it

gonna post the vid on the youtubes?

HP something | 5600X | Corsair  16GB | Zotac ArcticStorm GTX 1080 Ti | Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | OCZ Agility 3 480GB | ADATA SP550 960 GB

Corsair AX860i | CaseLabs SM8 | EK Supremacy | UT60 420 | ST30 360 | ST30 240

Gentle Typhoon's and Noctua's and Noiseblocker eLoop's

29 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

Last time I checked octane booster only raises octane by like .5 for a whole bottle (depends on how much gas is in the tank though) making it basically worthless

You need to tune it for 91 or less. Anything else you do just greatens the chance for something to go wrong.

there are proper octane boosters, they aren't cheap though. I personally use the royal purple stuff. Some perform even better, think of it as a race fuel concentrate.

it only needs the octane under boost, water/methanol injection can be set to spray during boost only, but i agree that proper tuning is the best choice here. Time to contact Unitronic

System specs:

GTX 1050

16GB DDR3

Samsung evo SSD

a few HDD's

1 hour ago, warmmilk said:

gonna post the vid on the youtubes?

That’s the plan. I will try to get them from him if he doesn’t upload them himself

In other news here’s the PAX results. 5th. Not too shabby. Waaaaay behind first tho

675FF3BC-C2F3-40ED-AD59-6ED1B30BB399.png

Spoiler

18 minutes ago, XboxCarsForza said:

It looks like that car has a lift kit on it.

Tacomas are pretty tall. My buddy AJ's dad used to have one, same spec other than auto and white and it was about the same height iirc 

CPU: R5 5800X3D Motherboard - MSI X570 Gaming Plus RAM - 32GB Corsair DDR4 GPU - XFX 7900 XTX 4GB Case - NZXT H5 Flow (White) Storage - 2X 4TB Samsung 990 Pro PSU - Corsair RM100E Cooling - Corsair H100i Elite Capellix Keyboard Corsair K70 (Brown Switches)  Mouse - Corsair Nightsword RGB

25 minutes ago, chaozbandit said:

-snip-

Why does it look like it’s curved upwards in the middle of the car? It’s bothering me

Spoiler

http://sportscar365.com/sro/mclaren-reveals-720s-gt3/

omg @MEC-777

mclaren.jpg

Also @bcredeur97 what part do you consider "the middle"

Edit: DIS BOOTY SO THICC

mclarenrear.jpg

Folding@Home | BOINC

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X + Celsius S36 GPU: ASUS TUF RTX3080 

MB: ASRock x470 Taichi RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-2666 32GB 

CASE: Fractal Design Define 7 Panda STORAGE: WD Black SN770 2TB + WD Red Pro 6TB

Back to driving the Elantra now for a few weeks (2013). Forgot how nice it was to drive. Yeah, I miss driving manual, but the 6 speed auto ain't terrible and the engine is no slouch. Reminded me why I bought it in the first place again. ;) If it had fewer taller gears, it would definitely be less fun to drive.

Anyways, got the snows installed yesterday, all ready for winter. :)

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

4 minutes ago, MEC-777 said:

Uhg theres no snow at all. At least it's not deathly cold, but it also means this weekends rally will be 90% gravel and ice. 

Time to play rock chip roulette with my lenses :/

Folding@Home | BOINC

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X + Celsius S36 GPU: ASUS TUF RTX3080 

MB: ASRock x470 Taichi RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-2666 32GB 

CASE: Fractal Design Define 7 Panda STORAGE: WD Black SN770 2TB + WD Red Pro 6TB

54 minutes ago, chaozbandit said:

Uhg theres no snow at all. At least it's not deathly cold, but it also means this weekends rally will be 90% gravel and ice. 

mount a sacrificial piece of glass to the front of the lens or something?

Spoiler

1 hour ago, chaozbandit said:

Do they make tear offs for lenses?

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

who else thinks this looks like a big miata? :D

Aston-Martin-Vantage-V8--fotoshowBig-c00

2015-MazdaMX5-04.jpg

GUITAR BUILD LOG FROM SCRATCH OUT OF APPLEWOOD

- Ryzen Build -

R5 3600 | MSI X470 Gaming Plus MAX | 16GB CL16 3200MHz Corsair LPX | Dark Rock 4

MSI 2060 Super Gaming X

1TB Intel 660p | 250GB Kingston A2000 | 1TB Seagate Barracuda | 2TB WD Blue

be quiet! Silent Base 601 | be quiet! Straight Power 550W CM

2x Dell UP2516D

- First System (Retired) -

Intel Xeon 1231v3 | 16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport Dual Channel | Gigabyte H97 D3H | Gigabyte GTX 970 Gaming G1 | 525 GB Crucial MX 300 | 1 TB + 2 TB Seagate HDD
be quiet! 500W Straight Power E10 CM | be quiet! Silent Base 800 with stock fans | be quiet! Dark Rock Advanced C1 | 2x Dell UP2516D

Reviews: be quiet! Silent Base 800 | MSI GTX 950 OC

2 hours ago, MEC-777 said:

Back to driving the Elantra now for a few weeks (2013). Forgot how nice it was to drive. Yeah, I miss driving manual, but the 6 speed auto ain't terrible and the engine is no slouch. Reminded me why I bought it in the first place again. ;) If it had fewer taller gears, it would definitely be less fun to drive.

Yup, just installed mine last night too. Even though it snowed yesterday, but today it's going to be 51°

20171121_115726.jpg

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25