Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

Added that we have a Discord to the OP. 

Now i'm going to read up on minis

====>The car thread<====>Dark Souls thread<====>Placeholder<====
"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

Folding@Home | BOINC

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X + Celsius S36 GPU: ASUS TUF RTX3080 

MB: ASRock x470 Taichi RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-2666 32GB 

CASE: Fractal Design Define 7 Panda STORAGE: WD Black SN770 2TB + WD Red Pro 6TB

15 hours ago, bcredeur97 said:

I don’t really want poly a. Because it’s illegal in a street class (meh i don’t care about this a ton lol) and b. They are known for being squeaky after a few months of install. 

Id also probably have to get a press... maybe not... but it would be greatly helpful and I don’t really have a place to put it yet. 

Maybe ill I’ll just look over the car and see what has play and just replace what is needed. I probably only need shocks/mounts and end links/bushings for the sway bars. Idk it’s just after you spend so much on a car you want it to be like it’s new xD all the old suspension parts are bothering me

the squeak is a bit odd... it seems to come to light when the front doesn’t have a ton of weight on it (accelerating) and over bumps. I still questions whether it’s coming from the front or the rear. But I do know there’s a clunk in the rear over bumps that’s been there for a while... 

sh*tty poly bushings squeak... thats why I said I'll only put SuperPro or Whiteline on my cars.  My sister had Whiteline bushings on her sti for over 100k and they never sqeaked, the RSX has had SuperPro bushings since I bought it (3 years ago now?), my sister's daily now, still no squeaks, and my Miata has had SuperPro bushings on it since I bought it, also no squeaks.

HP something | 5600X | Corsair  16GB | Zotac ArcticStorm GTX 1080 Ti | Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | OCZ Agility 3 480GB | ADATA SP550 960 GB

Corsair AX860i | CaseLabs SM8 | EK Supremacy | UT60 420 | ST30 360 | ST30 240

Gentle Typhoon's and Noctua's and Noiseblocker eLoop's

35 minutes ago, warmmilk said:

sh*tty poly bushings squeak... thats why I said I'll only put SuperPro or Whiteline on my cars.  My sister had Whiteline bushings on her sti for over 100k and they never sqeaked, the RSX has had SuperPro bushings since I bought it (3 years ago now?), my sister's daily now, still no squeaks, and my Miata has had SuperPro bushings on it since I bought it, also no squeaks.

lol I just looked real quickly to see what was there from those two brands and superpro has a complete kit front and rear for $650 O_O

whiteline doesn't seem to have a complete kit... in fact I couldn't really gather what all they have for my miata, I know they have the front lowers and some for the diff but that's it.

It just occurred to me it's possible my diff could need some new ones too.. im not sure how long they typically last or what happens when they are worn.. but yeah.

$650 for some bushings... lol no thanks. Maybe I could just do the front lowers... I think that's the most beneficial huh? usually those are under the most stress iirc. at least those were always the ones to break first on my dad's old G35.

don't poly bushings last longer too? or is that a myth?

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

2 hours ago, bcredeur97 said:

lol I just looked real quickly to see what was there from those two brands and superpro has a complete kit front and rear for $650 O_O

whiteline doesn't seem to have a complete kit... in fact I couldn't really gather what all they have for my miata, I know they have the front lowers and some for the diff but that's it.

It just occurred to me it's possible my diff could need some new ones too.. im not sure how long they typically last or what happens when they are worn.. but yeah.

$650 for some bushings... lol no thanks. Maybe I could just do the front lowers... I think that's the most beneficial huh? usually those are under the most stress iirc. at least those were always the ones to break first on my dad's old G35.

don't poly bushings last longer too? or is that a myth?

yeah, SuperPro is $$$... Whiteline is generally a bit cheaper but they don't have as many applications

If you're not trying to do the whole set, I'd do both upper and lower fronts.  for the uppers they have an offset bushing that gives you more camber

https://www.superpro.com.au/find/superpro-bushing-kit-for-a-superpro-suspension-parts-and-poly-bushings-for-mazda-mx-5-na-1990-1998-/productnr-SPF1986AK/cid-999500701/vid-

for the rear's I'd say get the diff bushings.  for the rear suspension arms factory replacement shouldn't be too bad since they're small bushings, so don't have too much give.

I'd get new top hat bushings all around, for something like that I wouldn't have much reservations going with a cheaper brand like Energy as those don't see much (if any) movement, so you shouldn't get any squeaking in that application

as far as lasting longer than rubber, not quite sure.  the longest experience I've had was on my sister's sti,  the Whiteline bushings she had didn't wear out in over 100k, but then again, neither did the rubber ones... I think it depends on the bushing and what kinda load / articulation it see's...

edit:

call Sake Bomb Garage or Maperformance for superpro stuff, these are the only 2 I know of that sell superpro stuff in the us that's not model specific like subaru or vw or whatever

HP something | 5600X | Corsair  16GB | Zotac ArcticStorm GTX 1080 Ti | Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | OCZ Agility 3 480GB | ADATA SP550 960 GB

3 hours ago, bcredeur97 said:

That doesn't seem too bad of a deal.

51 minutes ago, vinyldash303 said:

The Energy Suspension ones on the S10 LCAs dont squeak. The company as a whole seem sort if questionable tho

Energy is hit and miss in my experience... how's the company questionable though?

21 minutes ago, vinyldash303 said:

I meant their products. Their LCA bushings for the s10 are great. But their rear sway bushing kit wasn't as good. Had to modify the brackets to make them work

sounds about right

1 hour ago, vinyldash303 said:

I meant their products. Their LCA bushings for the s10 are great. But their rear sway bushing kit wasn't as good. Had to modify the brackets to make them work

Yeah I ain’t going to deal with them then

idk what I’m gonna do. I rather do nothing as long as I can lol. Money is too tight rn and I’ve spent a lot on the car in the last year

@warmmilk

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

2 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

Yeah I ain’t going to deal with them then

idk what I’m gonna do. I rather do nothing as long as I can lol. Money is too tight rn and I’ve spent a lot on the car in the last year

@warmmilk

no! make stupid decisions and do it all now! :D 

37 minutes ago, warmmilk said:

no! make stupid decisions and do it all now! :D 

hmmm stupid decisions... can I borrow your wallet? 

LOL

Spoiler

Jesus Christ. Scion makes the shittiest wheel studs ever. Helped my buddy change from his summer setup to his winter setup, and 1 stud on each corner broke. One was from just setting the wheel on, the others broke just from hand tightening the lugnuts on.

Anyone have some recommendations for extended studs and open face lugnuts?

CPU: R5 5800X3D Motherboard - MSI X570 Gaming Plus RAM - 32GB Corsair DDR4 GPU - XFX 7900 XTX 4GB Case - NZXT H5 Flow (White) Storage - 2X 4TB Samsung 990 Pro PSU - Corsair RM100E Cooling - Corsair H100i Elite Capellix Keyboard Corsair K70 (Brown Switches)  Mouse - Corsair Nightsword RGB

41 minutes ago, RevoltTrain said:

Jesus Christ. Scion makes the shittiest wheel studs ever. Helped my buddy change from his summer setup to his winter setup, and 1 stud on each corner broke. One was from just setting the wheel on, the others broke just from hand tightening the lugnuts on.

Anyone have some recommendations for extended studs and open face lugnuts?

ARP might have good quality wheel studs. 

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

Just now, terrytek said:

ARP might have good quality wheel studs. 

ARP is who I was originally looking into. Wasn't sure if there was anyone else I should look into aswell

CPU: R5 5800X3D Motherboard - MSI X570 Gaming Plus RAM - 32GB Corsair DDR4 GPU - XFX 7900 XTX 4GB Case - NZXT H5 Flow (White) Storage - 2X 4TB Samsung 990 Pro PSU - Corsair RM100E Cooling - Corsair H100i Elite Capellix Keyboard Corsair K70 (Brown Switches)  Mouse - Corsair Nightsword RGB

Figured i'd show off some of my handywork on two cars i have built in the last couple years:

first one (1973 Plymouth Road Runner) is a good friend of mine's and ex-employee at my shop

Its a Twin Turbo 408 stroker motor, twin 78mm turbos pushing north of 700rwhp on low boost >> Currently have broken two engine blocks, and is in the process of swapping to a modern hemi

Second one (1975 Cutlass Supreme dubbed aka "The Grenade") Is my wifes car, that has been a labor of love i guess.

Stock bottom end 350 sbc, procomp aluminum heads, single 70mm turbo, th400 trans, converted to EFI (DIYAutotune.com Microsquirt) And currently makes 550RWHP on pump gas and is great hwy cruiser, gets 18mpg and will lay rubber for as long as you dare to keep your foot burried in it. Over the winter will be getting a Precision PT88 and going for 800rwhp on a stock block/bottom end deal > my personal love, pushing junk to its limit.

If anyone is interested in seeing more stuff, i have a whack of personal / friend /customer builds i have done over the years. Even a couple of imports!

21273023_10154598163920633_7023500306432736577_o.jpg

19624948_1940657722845039_4128591202234662912_n.jpg

11311434_1647169298853175_339752194_n.jpg

20 minutes ago, FlatBrokeRacing said:

Figured i'd show off some of my handywork on two cars i have built in the last couple years:

first one (1973 Plymouth Road Runner) is a good friend of mine's and ex-employee at my shop

Its a Twin Turbo 408 stroker motor, twin 78mm turbos pushing north of 700rwhp on low boost >> Currently have broken two engine blocks, and is in the process of swapping to a modern hemi

Second one (1975 Cutlass Supreme dubbed aka "The Grenade") Is my wifes car, that has been a labor of love i guess.

Stock bottom end 350 sbc, procomp aluminum heads, single 70mm turbo, th400 trans, converted to EFI (DIYAutotune.com Microsquirt) And currently makes 550RWHP on pump gas and is great hwy cruiser, gets 18mpg and will lay rubber for as long as you dare to keep your foot burried in it. Over the winter will be getting a Precision PT88 and going for 800rwhp on a stock block/bottom end deal > my personal love, pushing junk to its limit.

If anyone is interested in seeing more stuff, i have a whack of personal / friend /customer builds i have done over the years. Even a couple of imports!

Gorgeous cars!

3 hours ago, FlatBrokeRacing said:

They are awesome, love the road runner

Needs money for car parts :P

System specs: Core i7 9700k, Dark Rock Pro 4 , MSI Z390 PRO, 16GB CORSAIR VENGENCE DDR4 3000, EVGA GTX 1070 FTW, Corsair AX860, Seagate 1TB, Sandisk 240GB SSD, Corsair 400c

My Steam Profile (from SteamDB)

• Worth: £654 (£221 with sales)
  • Games owned: 62
  • Games played: 52 (83%)
  • Hours on record: 2,980.7h

I really really really like this idea. Kinda want to build a EcoBoost S13 now that I've seen an EcoBoost used in something from the same Era 

BARirhV.jpg

NlAoNAS.jpg

RPNHfPY.jpg

Also grandfather let me know today that the family truck is being left to me down the line. 98 Cheyenne with 22K original miles on it. Paint looks immaculate and honestly looks like it just rolled off the showroom floor. Bench seats front and rear, long bed. Honestly super worried something will happen to it in my hands like getting hit or scratched up. I have a ton of memories in this truck and it brings me back to simpler times from my childhood 

(I'll try to get more photos of it soon as the only photo I have is 4 years old from my Note 3)

Screenshot_20171123-031253.jpg

3 minutes ago, RevoltTrain said:

Also grandfather let me know today that the family truck is being left to me down the line. 98 Cheyenne with 22K original miles on it. Paint looks immaculate and honestly looks like it just rolled off the showroom floor. Bench seats front and rear, long bed. Honestly super worried something will happen to it in my hands like getting hit or scratched up. I have a ton of memories in this truck and it brings me back to simpler times from my childhood 

(I'll try to get more photos of it soon as the only photo I have is 4 years old from my Note 3)

Any electrical issues for 19 years?

6 minutes ago, AlwaysFSX said:

Any electrical issues for 19 years?

Only issues it's ever had was tire dry rot of course. Other than that she's don't nothing but treat us well. Fluid changes before the first start up each season just to be in the cautious side

3 minutes ago, RevoltTrain said:

Only issues it's ever had was tire dry rot of course. Other than that she's don't nothing but treat us well. Fluid changes before the first start up each season just to be in the cautious side

What are the specs of it?

8 minutes ago, AlwaysFSX said:

What are the specs of it?

2WD, long bed, auto, 5.7L. Seats 6 and rides like a dream