[UPDATED] WH to meet with Video Game Reps following school shooting, ESA denys such meeting

Message added by PCGuy_5960

Just a reminder: Political Discussion is against the CS. Posts with political content will be removed.

Please be civil in discussing this thank you

Source: Polygon - https://www.polygon.com/2018/3/1/17068340/president-trump-video-game-industry-meeting

No politics will be mentioned in this thread, keep it out or face the wrath of the admins.

POTUS has expressed his concern in video game violence and film violence and his press sec Sara Sanders has announced that the WH will be meeting with some Video Game Representatives, most likely some of the big companies to discuss what can be done about it. (Just going to add, literally nothing can be done about it because there's not a problem with video game violence)

In a statement to the press she said

“The president has met with a number of stakeholders,” she continued. “Next week, he’ll also be meeting with members of the video game industry to see what they can do on that front as well. This is going to be an ongoing process and something that we don’t expect to happen overnight, but something that we’re going to continue to be engaged in and continue to look for the best ways possible to make sure we’re doing everything we can to protect schools across the country.”

It's a little strange that they're going to be consulting them now and not after the situations which has occured. It's just really really silly and a waste of time.
The ESRB has yet to comment on the matter as of writing this, I'll update if they do.
As game critic Jim Sterling put it:
UPDATE

Spokesperson for ESA, MSFT, EA, and Sony has refuted POTUS' claims for a meeting with the following statement

“ESA and our member companies have not received an invitation to meet with President Trump," according to a spokesman for the Entertainment Software Association. 

The spokesman for the association, which represents 34 companies including Nintendo, Microsoft, Electronic Arts and Sony Interactive Entertainment, went on to decry any attempt by the administration to link video games to an increase in violence in the real world.

“The same video games played in the US are played worldwide; however, the level of gun violence is exponentially higher in the US than in other countries," according to the spokesman. "Numerous authorities have examined the scientific record and found there is no link between media content and real-life violence.

“The US video game industry has a long history of partnering with parents and more than 20 years of rating video games through the Entertainment Software Rating Board. We take great steps to provide tools to help players and parents make informed entertainment decisions.”

I love how these people are blaming video games for a school shooting, not mental illness or drugs or something along those lines.

All these people are retards who have probably never touched a video game or anything remotely related to video games in their entire life.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

Meeting summary: Keep letting us scapegoat you and we won't touch micro-transactions.

15 minutes ago, kelvinhall05 said:

All these people are retards who have probably never touched a video game or anything remotely related to video games in their entire life.

Trump treats the world like a video game

My life

2 minutes ago, NvidiaIntelAMDLoveTriangle said:

When I read Potus, I thought it was going to be Obama. And I thought that would be interesting.

Then I remembered who Potus is now. And oh boy.

Right?

This old chestnut again. The amount of times games/films have been seen as a scapegoat for violence is unbelievable.. especially gun violence.

If you want less gun violence, do more to stop it happening. I don't mind that people HAVE guns, but if you do then make sure none of your kids can get to them, full stop. I wouldn't let my kids anywhere near guns, and wouldn't let them know where I kept them, AND would make sure the gun safe had a very secure lock, preferably with code AND fingerprint. I just wouldn't want to be in a situation where my kid shot another one accidentally or anything like that, let alone something is tragic as this.

[edit] I know this isn't a simple issue... but lack of gun safety probably accounts for a LOT of these incidents I suspect.

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

30 minutes ago, kelvinhall05 said:

or something along those lines.

or poverty from transformation into the "developing world"

Unfortunately this seems to encapsulate a lot of what is wrong with the US system right now.  Find a scapegoat because getting your hands dirty might be too costly and no one wants to wear the cost of fixing the issue.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Most probably nothing will come of it , it's just another ramble for the solution to a chaotic system , maybe something good will come out of it , they'll put something similar like the Need for speed's intro warning label on wearing seat-belts & helmets & training on controlled environments upfront before the game begins . But things should be addressed & not just dampened out completely . it's a part of it .

Details separate people.

Sometimes I'm quite happy my mom didn't take that offer to live and work in america

CPU: Intel i7 7700K | GPU: ROG Strix GTX 1080Ti | PSU: Seasonic X-1250 (faulty) | Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200Mhz 16GB | OS Drive: Western Digital Black NVMe 250GB | Game Drive(s): Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Hitachi 7K3000 3TB 3.5" | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z270x Gaming 7 | Case: Fractal Design Define S (No Window and modded front Panel) | Monitor(s): Dell S2716DG G-Sync 144Hz, Acer R240HY 60Hz (Dead) | Keyboard: G.SKILL RIPJAWS KM780R MX | Mouse: Steelseries Sensei 310 (Striked out parts are sold or dead, awaiting zen2 parts)

Lol on the flip side maybe this will lead to "AAA" games having more interesting mechanics than killing things

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

Just now, Yoinkerman said:

Lol on the flip side maybe this will lead to "AAA" games having more interesting mechanics than killing things

Like... Math problems? Or a roleplaying game where you slowly get better at petting bunnies?

Outside of Puzzle games like Puyo Puyo Tetris what would you do for a game that doesn't involve killing things?

2 minutes ago, Sniperfox47 said:

Like... Math problems? Or a roleplaying game where you slowly get better at petting bunnies?

Outside of Puzzle games like Puyo Puyo Tetris what would you do for a game that doesn't involve killing things?

We've had huge advances recently in narrative driven games, party games, visual novels, etc in the indy sphere, I'd greatly encourage bleedover into the "AAA" industry

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

8 minutes ago, Yoinkerman said:

We've had huge advances recently in narrative driven games, party games, visual novels, etc in the indy sphere, I'd greatly encourage bleedover into the "AAA" industry

I'd especially love those genres to get into "AAA" titles, and maybe car racing come back to PC besides Forza.

2 hours ago, paddy-stone said:

This old chestnut again. The amount of times games/films have been seen as a scapegoat for violence is unbelievable.. especially gun violence.

If you want less gun violence, do more to stop it happening. I don't mind that people HAVE guns, but if you do then make sure none of your kids can get to them, full stop. I wouldn't let my kids anywhere near guns, and wouldn't let them know where I kept them, AND would make sure the gun safe had a very secure lock, preferably with code AND fingerprint. I just wouldn't want to be in a situation where my kid shot another one accidentally or anything like that, let alone something is tragic as this.

[edit] I know this isn't a simple issue... but lack of gun safety probably accounts for a LOT of these incidents I suspect.

A big issue is some parents don't teach their children about gun safety or what to do when they come across one.  I see way to many kids that think the things are toys.  No, guns are not toys, guns are very dangerous tools that can kill or do large amount of damage.  Also, any gun can be used to deliver a great deal of harm to an object or person, especially if ballistic tip rounds or slugs are used.

But definitely there needs to be a focus on gun safety for sure.  Main reason I have no issue with the idea of gun safety and proper gun handling classes as a requirement to be able to buy and own a gun.

Still, this blaming video games is the same old scapegoat pointing game just like back when music, movies, and TV shows where used as scapegoats for violent acts.  It just video games are still the new kid on the block in comparison to the other forms of entertainment.

1 hour ago, M.Yurizaki said:

On one hand, sure, it's stupid to blame just one thing for all our problems.

But on the other, the US is pretty lax when it comes to gratuitous violence.

Could be worse, they could allow what in the military we call as "kill TV" be shown to the public, but then all the civis would cry and have mental break downs or really through a fit about the wars.

2023 BOINC Pentathlon Event

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad Air 5th Gen, Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU

Maybe he'll go talk to hollywood and the tv producers and book industry too

Well he has indeed mastered scapegoating xD

Either way I don't think this will go anywhere and I honestly don't think anyone involved intends it to go anywhere, regardless given that age restrictions on games exists there is nothing they could do realistically without violating the first amendment, which is good.

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

Video games caused world war 2

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

1 hour ago, Yoinkerman said:

Killing things is not a gameplay mechanic. It's usually the result of carrying out a gameplay mechanic successfully. But the mechanic itself changes based on game and genre.