[UPDATED] WH to meet with Video Game Reps following school shooting, ESA denys such meeting

Message added by PCGuy_5960

Just a reminder: Political Discussion is against the CS. Posts with political content will be removed.

1 hour ago, Drak3 said:

It's typically a 30-45 minute wait between you completing that form and you finding out if you can or can't purchase the firearm, a shorter wait if the store has an online system. They're doing a background check on you, and if you incorrectly tick ANY box, 30 day wait period for an in depth background check. You've been in jail for a single night for a false DUI, 30 day period. Share your full name with someone else in the same or a neighboring city, flip a coin, and you've got the odds on being hit by that 30 days again.

One couldn't go into a store and walk out with a gun and a box of ammo in 5 minutes, most stores won't sell you 'hundreds' of rounds along an "assault"* rifle either. It's a fairly extensive process, but it only works when those authorized to act upon it act upon it. That doesn't always happen, and it doesn't stop the black market, theft, or homemade guns like P.A. Luty's submachine guns.

*The term 'Assault rifle' specifically refers to a select fire rifle that fires an intermediate cartridge, where one of those two modes fires more than a single round per pull of the trigger. By definition, no one in the US can buy an assault rifle.

What people refer to as assault rifles, such as the AR-15 and AK-47, are also no more effective than featureless rifles, such as the Mini-14, and against unarmed civilians, no more effective than a Ruger 10/22.

Thanks for the corrections. I've edited my post to remove "assault rifle" as I wasn't aware of that distinction and also better clarified my statements about the background check involved when purchasing as I previously oversimplified it.

As far as stores not selling hundreds of rounds of ammunition, a quick glance at the walmart website has listings for boxes of ammunition which comes in packs of 100, 200, 500, and even 1000 rounds per box.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

12 hours ago, Spotty said:

Thanks for the corrections. I've edited my post to remove "assault rifle" as I wasn't aware of that distinction and also better clarified my statements about the background check involved when purchasing as I previously oversimplified it.

As far as stores not selling hundreds of rounds of ammunition, a quick glance at the walmart website has listings for boxes of ammunition which comes in packs of 100, 200, 500, and even 1000 rounds per box.

Yes, and those high number boxes are for .22lr or other small pistol calibers. I've gone through a 500 round block of .22 in a day. If you actually go to the range and shoot your gun, you go through ammo VERY quickly. Most mass shooters load less than 500 rounds and go through significantly less than 100. The idea that constraints on ammo will accomplish anything in regards to mass shooters is rather silly.