Over 3 Million Graphics Card Sold To Crypto Miners in 2017

JaegerB
6 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

If that is true that'd be reaaaally sneaky: Not adjusting MSRP but adjusting pricing seems a quite dishonest move hiding the fact that they cant/wont increase production from the consumers.

Huh? That makes no sense, how is that sneaky? If their costs are going up, then of course pricing will go up. He did say some pricing, something in the ballpark of a $30 increase. A pretty sizeable amount. It has nothing to do with increasing production or not.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

1 hour ago, Captain Chaos said:

Miners are just as much victims as gamers are.  The real a-holes are those people who are buying new phones.

So it's my fault for buying a new phone when my old one wasn't cutting it and I wanted a new one?!?

The biggest problem for GPUs right now is the lack of supply of the dies themselves. Because miners are buying all of them up. The phone situation is simply creating a drop in DRAM supply and in turn higher DRAM prices. GPUs aren't being sold out because of lack of memory supply but AFAIK it's because the fabs can't keep up.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

2 minutes ago, dizmo said:

"Efforts". Face it, they're not that heart broken about the profits, anything they're saying is just PR. After all, it's not like there's 4 or 5 other companies to compete with. Where else do gamers have to turn when they want a card? Nvidia. (Or AMD, but since they're doing the same thing, it's not like they'd choose AMD over them).

Realistically, what can they do? Attempt to disable mining workloads at a driver level? Or would you rather them raise MSRP but offer 'gaming bundles' (that worked out well before)?

Board partners are the ones not keeping up with demand, and have admitted they have no doubt NVIDIA could supply more GPUs as needed. They can only 'encourage' retailers to do anything, but it's not stopping them from selling GPUs by the pallet to a single customer. This mining boom hurt their shares and board partners aren't increasing production, they aren't gaining much from this.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

1 minute ago, Suika said:

Realistically, what can they do? Attempt to disable mining workloads at a driver level? Or would you rather them raise MSRP but offer 'gaming bundles' (that worked out well before)?

Board partners are the ones not keeping up with demand, and have admitted they have no doubt NVIDIA could supply more GPUs as needed. They can only 'encourage' retailers to do anything, but it's not stopping them from selling GPUs by the pallet to a single customer. This mining boom hurt their shares and board partners aren't increasing production, they aren't gaining much from this.

I didn't say they should do anything. I simply said whatever they've said about gamers is PR.

Of course they're not. They don't want to get burned like they did last time. You can't blame them for that.

Nvidia has most definitely profited from it. They posted record profits yet again, and a substantial amount of that was from May 2017 on; right around the mining boom. That's no coincidence.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

Spoiler

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

2 hours ago, dizmo said:

They posted record profits yet again, and a substantial amount of that was from May 2017 on; right around the mining boom. That's no coincidence.

Which may have been spurred on by data centres using GTX hardware.   I can't find any information about it in the JPR article.  We know it could make up as much as 50% of Nvidia's profit though.  

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

2 hours ago, Captain Chaos said:

Simple maths : Let's assume that the average miner card has about 8GB of memory.  Given 3 million cards bought by miners, that's 24 million GB of RAM taken up by miners.  Actually it'll probably be less because of the amount of 3GB 1060s etc, but it's hard to get a proper estimate.

The iPhone X has 3GB of RAM and estimates show that there are around 20 million of those.  That alone is 60 million GB, or 2.5 times as much as the miners' cards.  And that's just Apple, we haven't mentioned the recent high-end Samsung phones yet. 

Many Android phones come with at least 4 GB. Some come with much more. :P

There's a saying about the Dark Side, or something of that sort, but I'm a rare non-fan of Star Wars.

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

3 hours ago, dizmo said:

Huh? That makes no sense, how is that sneaky? If their costs are going up, then of course pricing will go up. He did say some pricing, something in the ballpark of a $30 increase. A pretty sizeable amount. It has nothing to do with increasing production or not.

I'm not against them upping the prices of the cards but against them not officially announce it so by increasing their official MSRP. Basically we would know 'Ok even if the demand wasn't surpassing the supply right now the base price of these cards is now at least X amount' simply because the price of it's components went up.

That's more than fair.

But if they continue to have an MSRP that's like 380 for a 1070 even though they're now selling them at a higher price, possibly even at 380 as their base price, it means that it would be effectively impossible for any distributor or store to sell the card at MSRP regardless of the demand.

It is basically Nvidia and/or AMD increasing their prices without letting their consumers know the cards can't cost the advertised MSRP prices anymore. Those prices need to be updated as their own costs to manufacture increase for whatever reason.

-------

Current Rig

-------

6 hours ago, Jurrunio said:

I really wish I saved up an extra $100 for a 1080

The sad fact is you shouldn't have had to.

System Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X

GPU: Radeon RX 7900 XT 

RAM: 32GB 3600MHz

HDD: 1TB Sabrent NVMe -  WD 1TB Black - WD 2TB Green -  WD 4TB Blue

MB: Gigabyte  B550 Gaming X- RGB Disabled

PSU: Corsair RM850x 80 Plus Gold

Case: BeQuiet! Silent Base 801 Black

Cooler: Noctua NH-DH15

53 minutes ago, sof006 said:

The sad fact is you shouldn't have had to.

Half half on that. I came from an RX 470, so I should have made a greater leap.

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

i don't think phones are a problem, because they are planned years in advance, there's always a roadmap, those plans are discussed between manufacturers of those phones and manufacturers of the memory chips, there are purchase orders, price negociations, etc... There is time to plan accordingly. 

The problem is mining, is volatile (at year's end prices were reasonable for example), is unexpected, unpredictable. No one will plan for something like this.

And if this unplanned 3 million cards didn't went to miners there were cards for every gamer, prices would be reasonable.

to understand the problem see the graph

jpr_q2_2016_mkt_historical_annual_gpu_sa

3M is a lot for a 40M market.

edit: I just don't get were did the production capacity goes year after year. I don't mean to say they should be able to ship 97M as in 2007 because of memory shortage, but still it's a incredible difference between 2007 and 2015, it should accommodate 3M easily.

And the premium that miners and gamers pay for each card certainly could make them more competitive when facing phone makers while buying memory chips. If a video card manufacturer for a 1080ti as more 700$ for example they certainly should be able to get all the memory they wanted. Apple or samsung can not spare 700$ for each phone to match that offer. For me something is wrong.

they probably don't know where to put all their money. Would be sweet if especially AMD would reinvest a bunch of those profits to give us a kick-ass next gen card that kicks 1080ti butt. Probably not gonna happen though

Folding stats

Vigilo Confido

7 hours ago, dizmo said:

Their whole push with the RX480/580 was affordable 4k gaming.

I don't recall 4k specifically being part of the message, at least not around 480 launch. The message I recall was good enough gaming (not ultra everything) at a good price, since they couldn't compete against even the then nvidia high end. I do recall they were pitching it as the cheap way to get a VR ready system.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

7 hours ago, Misanthrope said:

If that is true that'd be reaaaally sneaky: Not adjusting MSRP but adjusting pricing seems a quite dishonest move hiding the fact that they cant/wont increase production from the consumers.

No what's happened is the cost of parts to AIB partners has increased but the MRSP hasn't so margins on sales to distributors has gone down, while distributors have been increasing prices on their end.

Nvidia, AMD and AIB's are not winning on this at all, other than selling more units meaning more revenue and profit but they could be making more if they charged more to distributors and AIBs etc.

Edit:

MSRP is only a suggestion as far as distributors are concerned and Nvidia, AMD and AIBs can't force them to sell at it so realistically right now the MSRP is meaningless and changing it would have no effect on consumer prices at all.

Edited by leadeater

I feel hoenstly however I kidna now hope Intel does make a GPU and it is even decent!. A third group might at least shake shit up. Also I think hoenstly the fact that the big 3 RAm producers have dragged their feet on makign more memory until it got to this point is a sign they ought to be punished. I'd argue for a good 20% of their income for 5 years and told maybe they should not do this again in the future. soudns harsh but to be price fixing shoudl be a devstating prospect to companiesl ike this. if samsung was told "sorry you will be paying alot of moeny to the government now for afew years that actually hamrs you because you need to learn never to do this again." I also woudl say if caught again should go up each time. until it either imposes a change or bankrupts the company.

4 hours ago, leadeater said:

No what's happened is the cost of parts to AIB partners has increased but the MRSP hasn't so margins on sales to distributors has gone down, while distributors have been increasing prices on their end.

Nvidia, AMD and AIB's are not winning on this at all, other than selling more units meaning more revenue and profit but they could be making more if they charged more to distributors and AIBs etc.

Edit:

MSRP is only a suggestion as far as distributors are concerned and Nvidia, AMD and AIBs can't force them to sell at it so realistically right now the MSRP is meaningless and changing it would have no effect on consumer prices at all.

I would argue that it's meaningless precisely because AMD and Nvidia's unwillingness to update it to reflect this increased costs to manufacture from their AIB partners, effectively lying by omission to the public about the actual cost of their products.

-------

Current Rig

-------

13 hours ago, silentprototipe said:

RIP 3 Million gamers :( 

13 hours ago, SC2Mitch said:

lol 3 million people fucked over, thanks

Imagine how many cards are going to flood the used market over the next year and a half.

13 minutes ago, Septimus said:

Imagine how many cards are going to flood the used market over the next year and a half.

Cards used for mining have a lower life span. The wise gamer wouldnt buy one of those unless its dirt cheap. Also, with how frustrated people are now, whos to say many of those 3M gamers dont go to console or choose to give up gaming all together? Right now a console is looking good, considering price. Even if cards become available after that, whos to say many of these people will come back to PC gaming? Because if you invested in a new console and a few games, you already invested the money you would have used for a new card anyway. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

I say blame the enthusiast for buying the ssds. Iphone only has how much, 256gb tops, while enthusiast have 512gb and all the way up to 1TB or more. If they weren't so greedy by getting HDDs instead of SSDs, then us gamers will still have a chance to buy a video card. 

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

3 hours ago, NumLock21 said:

I say blame the enthusiast for buying the ssds. Iphone only has how much, 256gb tops, while enthusiast have 512gb and all the way up to 1TB or more. If they weren't so greedy by getting HDDs instead of SSDs, then us gamers will still have a chance to buy a video card. 

Yeah, lets compare a business decision and physical limitation to this idiocy with mining....

#idiot....

Edited by jagdtigger

15 hours ago, SC2Mitch said:

lol 3 million people fucked over, thanks

15 hours ago, silentprototipe said:

RIP 3 Million gamers :( 

first of all , not to be a dick , but they bought it first and you didnt ( i dont like the situation either , but customer is customer ) 
second : now just wait for the bubble to go proper POP and bathe in Rx 480s 

RyzenAir : AMD R5 3600 | AsRock AB350M Pro4 | 32gb Aegis DDR4 3000 | GTX 1070 FE | Fractal Design Node 804
RyzenITX : Ryzen 7 1700 | GA-AB350N-Gaming WIFI | 16gb DDR4 2666 | GTX 1060 | Cougar QBX 

PSU Tier list

14 hours ago, Blademaster91 said:

I have a Nokia 6 which works just fine. Sure maybe you can't survive if you have to order food by app or use uber.

I have  an R9 280 which works just fine.

You can definitely survive without a Titan GTX1070 GPU.

14 hours ago, Suika said:

NVIDIA has made efforts to keep cards within the hands of gamers

Such as?

7 hours ago, porina said:

I don't recall 4k specifically being part of the message, at least not around 480 launch.

(...)

. I do recall they were pitching it as the cheap way to get a VR ready system.

Yes, it was "VR for the masses".

I swear tho, it's getting better. Some time ago I saw a GTX 1060 3gb going for only 250 USD

For people looking for a new card, I would advise you to look at brick-and-mortar stores as I saw some 1080s at best buy for 530 USD a while back

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

1 hour ago, Shreyas1 said:

I swear tho, it's getting better. Some time ago I saw a GTX 1060 3gb going for only 250 USD

For people looking for a new card, I would advise you to look at brick-and-mortar stores as I saw some 1080s at best buy for 530 USD a while back

I was there last weekend buying speakers.

RX580 -- $850 (seriously)

1080 FE -- $590 (best deal from this list)

1070ti -- $650

1050ti - $350

1070 - $550

1060 - $450

prices have gone pants-on-head stupid. Do not buy a GPU right now.

13 hours ago, mr moose said:

Which may have been spurred on by data centres using GTX hardware.   I can't find any information about it in the JPR article.  We know it could make up as much as 50% of Nvidia's profit though. 

You have absolutely no way of knowing that and really, even if that was the case, it's still spurred on by mining so my point stands.

I was looking at their earnings reports, not an article.

12 hours ago, Misanthrope said:

I'm not against them upping the prices of the cards but against them not officially announce it so by increasing their official MSRP. Basically we would know 'Ok even if the demand wasn't surpassing the supply right now the base price of these cards is now at least X amount' simply because the price of it's components went up.

That's more than fair.

But if they continue to have an MSRP that's like 380 for a 1070 even though they're now selling them at a higher price, possibly even at 380 as their base price, it means that it would be effectively impossible for any distributor or store to sell the card at MSRP regardless of the demand.

It is basically Nvidia and/or AMD increasing their prices without letting their consumers know the cards can't cost the advertised MSRP prices anymore. Those prices need to be updated as their own costs to manufacture increase for whatever reason.

They have absolutely no obligation to inform the public that their BOM is increasing.

They're also not responsible for the massive price increases we see in cards. Even with that, Nvidia sells the core; the board partners set their own prices, so it's them you should be mad at, not Nvidia.

Spoiler

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler