Over 3 Million Graphics Card Sold To Crypto Miners in 2017

JaegerB
3 minutes ago, Blademaster91 said:

I was just saying a phone is a phone anymore,sorry to got off topic.

Samsung is as much to blame as the miners are for causing supply shortage,also guilty of price fixing without any effort in ramping up chip production until just recently.

If you have a gtx 980/980Ti or a 10 series card I don't see any point in upgrading if you're fine with 1080p or 1440p because there aren't many games coming out for PC any time soon that aren't console ports.

I personally have a HD7950. Would have liked to upgrade. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

2 minutes ago, bimmerman said:

There aren't any other options. Wait for prices to change, hopefully for the better, or buy now and pay more.

I'm not going to build another computer if this pricing keeps up though. I only use my desktop to game, and if true midrange GPUs (i.e., 1060s, 580s) continue to be in the $400-$500 bracket, then I'm out. Those prices for that performance is not worth it to me.

Thats the point Im making. People will move to Consoles or just say fuck it. That could hurt the industry as a whole in the next few years. Because if prices dont start changing for the better, my next machine is likely to not even has a dedicated GPU in it and Ill just use it for media consumption. 

Just now, Donut417 said:

Thats the point Im making. People will move to Consoles or just say fuck it. That could hurt the industry as a whole in the next few years. Because if prices dont start changing for the better, my next machine is likely to not even has a dedicated GPU in it and Ill just use it for media consumption. 

Yep, I'm with you. Either the industry figures out these prices aren't sustainable whatsoever, or they will lose non-mining business.

8 hours ago, Donut417 said:

Cards used for mining have a lower life span. The wise gamer wouldnt buy one of those unless its dirt cheap. Also, with how frustrated people are now, whos to say many of those 3M gamers dont go to console or choose to give up gaming all together? Right now a console is looking good, considering price. Even if cards become available after that, whos to say many of these people will come back to PC gaming? Because if you invested in a new console and a few games, you already invested the money you would have used for a new card anyway. 

I partially agree.

While most of the cards will be toast after being used that long, if you can find one from someone who claims that they've undervolted it and taken care of it, then it becomes much more appealing. I also agree with your point of more people possibly becoming peasants as a result of the shortage, but I feel that this will be a much more temporary thing that won't leave much of an effect (short term as in one or two console generations). As it has been, PC gaming will likely still be superior in many ways to console gaming when all of this calms down, so if we do loose "market share", I think it will be temporary. One of the reasons I think it will be temporary is that the people who considered switching to PC or simply building/buying a PC to start likely haven't become more close-minded, so they're likely still open to the idea.

1 minute ago, Septimus said:

I partially agree.

While most of the cards will be toast after being used that long, if you can find one from someone who claims that they've undervolted it and taken care of it, then it becomes much more appealing. I also agree with your point of more people possibly becoming peasants as a result of the shortage, but I feel that this will be a much more temporary thing that won't leave much of an effect (short term as in one or two console generations). As it has been, PC gaming will likely still be superior in many ways to console gaming when all of this calms down, so if we do loose "market share", I think it will be temporary. One of the reasons I think it will be temporary is that the people who considered switching to PC or simply building/buying a PC to start likely haven't become more close-minded, so they're likely still open to the idea.

The point I made though, is this shortage could be much longer term. Would you be willing to wait 2 or 3 years to build a new system if your current hardware was 5 or 6 years old? Especially when you see games come out that you want to play, but your hardware wont do it. Im not arguing the superiority of PC gaming, Im saying that if you cant buy the hardware then whats the point? 

As far as people making claims of under volting. I work in fast food, Ive worked in retail. People Lie. I have little to no trust in the average person. No way in hell will I touch a used Graphics card. 

2 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

The point I made though, is this shortage could be much longer term. Would you be willing to wait 2 or 3 years to build a new system if your current hardware was 5 or 6 years old? Especially when you see games come out that you want to play, but your hardware wont do it. Im not arguing the superiority of PC gaming, Im saying that if you cant buy the hardware then whats the point? 

As far as people making claims of under volting. I work in fast food, Ive worked in retail. People Lie. I have little to no trust in the average person. No way in hell will I touch a used Graphics card. 

Totally agree, people aren't going to wait much longer than a month or two for hardware to restock, but going off my previous point, I don't think that they would be able to get a second console before the hardware shortages die down, so they might reconsider PC gaming then.

Yeah, I've read some nightmare stories about fast food and retail, those are two professions that can be quite sketchy at times lol. Hence my reasoning for emphasis on the "if" and "claim".

1 hour ago, Donut417 said:

At the moment, as PC games tend to have at least some ability to scale according to hardware capability, I don't think we'll have to worry about our current hardware not being able to play games at all for a couple years at least. Just the sliders have to drop. Unless the AAA industry decides to drop PCs altogether, it would be in a studios best interest to develop games according to the hardware the majority of users possess.

Though admittedly, part of PC gaming is having a hobby in PCs as well.

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

Just now, Zodiark1593 said:

At the moment, as PC games tend to have at least some ability to scale according to hardware capability, I don't think we'll have to worry about our current hardware not being able to play games at all for a couple years at least. Just the sliders have to drop. Unless the AAA industry decides to drop PCs altogether, it would be in a studios best interest to develop games according to the hardware the majority of users possess.

Ive seen games that are getting close to where my card is min to make it run or my CPU is not strong enough to play it. I see no reason to upgrade to a new motherboard, RAM and CPU if I cant upgrade my aging GPU. 

On 27/02/2018 at 1:33 AM, dizmo said:

What are you talking about? Their whole push with the RX480/580 was affordable 4k gaming. Which was a bit of a stretch, but still.

* Affordable Premium VR

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

17 hours ago, leadeater said:

I don't see how it's lying, cost of materials has nothing to do with us and the manufacturer sets the price of the products. If they want to take less profit that's on them. Parts cost will always change slightly over time but that doesn't mean you need or should adjust the MSRP.

Why do you even care it costs more for EVGA to buy ram chips? If they don't charge you more for it what's the difference?

If the cost of materials now surpasses any kind of margin you can make at MSRP it means it is literally impossible to sell at MSRP so not adjusting it is basically lying about what the price could be: I can't claim these can be sell starting 380 if the cost of RAM chips is so high you would have to sell them at a loss to get to that starting price.

It is fairly simple to understand why not adjusting that is misleading to consumers: we're not talking normal fluctuation we're talking industry changing inflation with no end in sight, prices can't realistically remain the same as launch.

-------

Current Rig

-------

6 hours ago, Misanthrope said:

If the cost of materials now surpasses any kind of margin you can make at MSRP it means it is literally impossible to sell at MSRP so not adjusting it is basically lying about what the price could be: I can't claim these can be sell starting 380 if the cost of RAM chips is so high you would have to sell them at a loss to get to that starting price.

It is fairly simple to understand why not adjusting that is misleading to consumers: we're not talking normal fluctuation we're talking industry changing inflation with no end in sight, prices can't realistically remain the same as launch.

That's assuming the cost has increased that much which it hasn't otherwise MSRP would be adjusted, no one sells at a loss.

Look it's really simple to understand there's no need to twist it to something that is NOT happening.

Company A (EVGA for sake of example) sells graphics card to Company B (Ingram Micro for sake of example, a distributor) for $200. Company B sells graphics card to Company C (a retail store) for $220. Company C lists that graphics card for sale at $250.

Now the mining craze comes in, Company A can no longer supply Company B fast enough for it's demand. Company A still sells the graphics cards to Company B at $200 but Company B started selling them to retailers at $400.

Now do you see where the price increase is coming from? MSRP means nothing, it's irrelevant to the current issue.

The small parts cost increase for ram is not nearly enough to increase the sale price like it has nor is it exceeding the margin of the product they are selling and in an inflated market it would be extremely unwise to increase the MSRP due to consumer backlash because clearly no one understands where the issue actually lies and blame the wrong company for the problem.