Samsung Galaxy S9 unveiled. 960FPS/720p, f/1.5 <-> f/2.4, SD845/E9810 and more

D13H4RD
8 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Yep, funny thing is the actual phones weren't spring loaded so a lot of people went out to buy them then got all disappointed you had to manually slide the cover down lol

I miss flip phones or even phones with a physical qwerty keyboard. ☹️

2EA451F3-44D2-4C86-9677-6DCDCE9CCCC5.png.d13fd0c3c853cc1cf80d296c48564a00.pngE6B7F4C1-AD35-46B8-B692-08C05272F964.thumb.jpeg.edfbfcd3cc63d173e688f888107da397.jpeg9B5EBA1A-6BCA-4EE1-B273-9D711B8EDD22.png.40a0c20abb70b8f4515bdd89419efead.png

I kinda hated where the phone industry went to by popularizing the rectangular touchscreen block. 

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

8 hours ago, LAwLz said:

How can people not be excited for this? The chipset and camera have been massively improved. I can't wait test results. 

Here's my reason. 

I own a Galaxy Note8. I already knew head on that I wouldn't be that interested in purchasing this phone, but I'll check it out just for curiosity's sake. 

The camera and Exynos 9810 are both seriously mad. But as a package, I don't think it entices me that much to trade my Note8 in. And I think that's fine because Samsung is most likely targeting S7 users or earlier, of which they're getting a great upgrade. 

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

The S9 was probably the phone I was least interested in this MWC. The design is too similar to the old one. The SoC is interesting though, and the performance increase they got with their SoC was incredible. Super interested to see what they do next year, and with the Note, as I imagine they'll have a new design. Fingers crossed Canada gets the Exynos version :P

Can't wait to see what Sony and Asus have come up with. Hopefully TCL releases some Blackberry phones, and I'd love to see the Axon 9.

9 hours ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

Am I the only one who thinks that phones are getting more boring every year?

This phone was destined to be boring :P Other companies will have better devices, like Vivo's APEX concept.

9 hours ago, Eroda said:

is there benchies on the Exynos yet?

Yarp

https://www.gsmarena.com/check_out_tfirst_samsung_galaxy_s9_benchmarks-news-29813.php

Pretty impressive if you ask me. Very interested to see what further improvements they make next year.

9 hours ago, cj09beira said:

contact me when it has a removable battery, untill then i will stay with my s4, plus i like smaller phones better (5inch = perfect)

Haha, I think you'll be using that phone for the rest of your life :P

9 hours ago, The Viking said:

............this is so underwhelming after all the advertisement they made (yes I was floded with it everywhere)... so they just...moved the fingerprint sensor to finally where it belongs, below the camera (took you what, 2 or 3 years, samsung? the chinese did it before you....) and.....

4 or 6gb of ram and only 64gb of internal space? Is this a flagship? What, you'll sell this for 900e again? Damn, the Mate 10 Pro is STILL superior to this thing (6gb ram/128gb internal storage/cheaper...)

this phone belongs in midrange with those specs. There.

What do you mean? The Plus model comes with 128GB. I wouldn't consider storage the only thing that downgrades something to midrange 9_9

Yeah, Huawei is so much better. A company that has no problem putting inferior storage in flagship devices without telling the buyer.

9 hours ago, The Viking said:

... iphone x with all the accessories and the extra warranty and stuff. Sold my (really) old audi for 2000e last year, iphone x is around what, 1500e with all the extra? So close. Very close (for a used one).

By that metric even mid range phones are worth as much as cars :P

9 hours ago, DoctorWho1975 said:

I bought a game worn sweater at an auction off the players back who has the potential to do very well in the AHL (in the E now) for 900 dollars. This is something that will last for years... where that will barely get me in the door on an s9.

Haha, well...at least you'd have a phone. That you can resell. The jersey could literally be worth nothing if the player doesn't do well, isn't a big name, or gets injured.

9 hours ago, Lurick said:

The LG V30 has OLED and I've yet to see burn in. You just can't use your phone on super high brightness for 8 to 10 hours every day :P

I just wish that phone would have had a better camera. It had SO much potential!

Hopefully this years V series phone hits it out of the park, but I doubt it with the new direction they're taking with their mobile business.

8 hours ago, themctipers said:

really want 3D Touch on android

and it to be close to iOS in function

get flack for copying, who cares, that means that I can switch from 6s and it's beautiful 3D Touch display and technology to android in 2020/2021, assuming the iPhone (2021) isn't killing the rest of the competition like the 6s in 2015.

They basically already have it, don't they? Granted it's not pressure sensitive, but you can still long press on an app and have a list of options pop up; is't that the same thing?

I don't care how good the iPhone performs, I'll never switch to it :P

8 hours ago, XenosTech said:

Well everyone I know that has a samsung phone has god awful burn in on theirs so I'd like to keep away from it since I'm a heavy user of my phone due to work.

Really? Odd. I used a Note5 extensively for a year and never saw any burn in at all.

8 hours ago, LAwLz said:

How can people not be excited for this? The chipset and camera have been massively improved. I can't wait test results. 

The chipset is honestly the only thing I was excited about, with the S series this year at least. The phone itself is just a rehash of last years design. Granted, there isn't a great deal they can do to change it, and they fixed the one very stupid decision they made last year; fingerprint placement.

I'm pretty stoked on the Asus and Sony announcements though.

8 hours ago, Trixanity said:

I think it's because phones can't do anything new. Designs are similar. There are only two things on the road ahead: new software and new form factors. Otherwise it'll be the same but somewhat better.

Other than that I agree. Although it's too bad the Exynos chip is held back by the Mali GPU. The Adreno 630 will be so much better. Fingers crossed that Samsung will have their first in-house GPU out next year.

They are absolutely killing it with the camera (except the small version getting gimped) and only need some software magic like Google has to cement their position. They supposedly have a mix of hardware and software to do it but so far Google's Pixel camera software has kept their edge. If they can deliver, I don't think anyone can match them this year. I mean even Sony's niche selling point of slow motion just got put to death by Samsung. They might even max out DXOMark scores (not that it matters).

I only somewhat agree with that. There are always spec bumps. Better cameras, better batteries, bigger batteries, etc.

I still haven't found a phone I'd consider perfect enough to keep for more than a year.

You can't max out a DXOMark score...

6 hours ago, RagnarokDel said:

I'm probably a rare case scenario but I couldnt give any Fs about the camera. Good enough was reached in 2012. It's probably cause I dont really do social media but to me a smartphone is about what you can do with it not how well you can take a picture of yourself doing stuff.

Haha, no. Just no.

The cameras back then were awful. Super slow to take pictures. Picture quality wasn't that great either for most of them.

They've come a really, really long way in the past few years.

4 hours ago, Bearded_Ed said:

I've just picked up the Huawei Mate 10 Pro from my 6 plus.  The overall speed difference is unbelievable.  

Nows the time to upgrade, I picked the mate 10 because of the price. But I'd rather have had the Pixel XL but it was just too expensive £/month. 

Didn't want the S8/+ because of the finger print sensor location... S9 fixed that. 

I really liked the look of the Mate 10! Too bad Huawei has such a bad reputation this side of the water.

That, and their memory issues.

4 hours ago, leadeater said:

Spring loaded slide phones like in the original Matrix

I really wanted them to be spring loaded...I wish they'd made a premium version for MWC this year!

It's still neat that they remade it though.

1 hour ago, hey_yo_ said:

Will Samsung ever consider a high end Galaxy S/Note series with a physical keyboard?

If it's anything like their accessory attempt, I hope they don't :P

They'd probably make it way too top heavy.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Just now, dizmo said:

They basically already have it, don't they? Granted it's not pressure sensitive, but you can still long press on an app and have a list of options pop up; is't that the same thing?

I don't care how good the iPhone performs, I'll never switch to it :P

faster

less frustrating for me (i hold when shit dont work..)

use it on a daily basis ..  

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

1 minute ago, themctipers said:

faster

less frustrating for me (i hold when shit dont work..)

use it on a daily basis ..  

It's press and hold. I doubt it's that much faster.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

3 minutes ago, dizmo said:

https://www.gsmarena.com/check_out_tfirst_samsung_galaxy_s9_benchmarks-news-29813.php

Pretty impressive if you ask me. Very interested to see what further improvements they make next year.

Yep, the E9810 is a monster 

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

1 minute ago, dizmo said:

It's press and hold. I doubt it's that much faster.

on iOS you have to hold for about half a second

3D Touch is like, 0.1s

huge difference in what it feels like, not really when you think about it. 

I also like how you can swipe from the left to the right to get multitasking, i hold my phone left handed and having multitasking button be on the bottom left or right hand.. straining my finger just trying to reach it on my phone

you can also always safari -> new tab because i have no idea what i did last night and I don't need other people knowing either

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

5 hours ago, Trixanity said:

AKG. Semantics I guess. Samsung owns Harman. Harman owns JBL and AKG.

AKG yes, you are correct. 

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

10 hours ago, Legendarypoet said:

What are you talking about?

This is clearly the phone, REIMAGINED.

fuck them for copying us AGAIN.

DWbkUsHVoAACBsn.jpg-large.jpeg.4a15ab087fe2e0601cfe44a6a9b226bb.jpeg

Tomorrow's headline: Apple apparently PATENTED the word: reimagined.

From now on, this word can only used by us, and within a sentence that consists : "revolutionary" "iphone" "ipad" "mac" "it just works" "best we've ever done" "you are going to love it" "one more thing"

Fuck it, I'll just tell Tim to patent all of those words and phrases. 

I'm Jonathan Ive, the best fucking designer since Dieter Rams. I invented #minimaluminiumalism.

As an s7 user. I am buying a s9+ asap. In the US 819 from Samsung actually doesn't sound like a bad price to me considering I bought my S7 for 400 dollars, and Samsung is offering 300 back for it. 100 dollar loss to use my favorite phone yet for 2 years.

Looking forward to the camera, looking forward to the battery. Absolutely would NEVER go back to an non-zone backlit LCD model again. Black levels for watching movies and videos on the device really does mean that much to me.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

14 minutes ago, Curufinwe_wins said:

Looking forward to the camera

Me too the s8 at 1.7f take really nice night star shots. 1.5f will be awesome.

20180123_193459.jpg

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

9 hours ago, Bearded_Ed said:

I've just picked up the Huawei Mate 10 Pro from my 6 plus.  The overall speed difference is unbelievable.  

Nows the time to upgrade, I picked the mate 10 because of the price. But I'd rather have had the Pixel XL but it was just too expensive £/month. 

Didn't want the S8/+ because of the finger print sensor location... S9 fixed that. 

Yeah it's gonna be noticeable for sure, I mean for a 3 and half year phone it's doing fine (especially compared to my old 4S and S3 did when they reached that age), but it's getting old. 

Too bad about mobile games not being as exciting as they used to be to entice me to get something though.

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

12 hours ago, Trixanity said:

I think it's because phones can't do anything new. Designs are similar. There are only two things on the road ahead: new software and new form factors. Otherwise it'll be the same but somewhat better.

Other than that I agree. Although it's too bad the Exynos chip is held back by the Mali GPU. The Adreno 630 will be so much better. Fingers crossed that Samsung will have their first in-house GPU out next year.

They are absolutely killing it with the camera (except the small version getting gimped) and only need some software magic like Google has to cement their position. They supposedly have a mix of hardware and software to do it but so far Google's Pixel camera software has kept their edge. If they can deliver, I don't think anyone can match them this year. I mean even Sony's niche selling point of slow motion just got put to death by Samsung. They might even max out DXOMark scores (not that it matters).

Wait Mali GPUs still struggle to get to Aderno levels of performance? Oh FFS.

Does anyone here know whether the UK gets the 845 or the Exynos?

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

4 hours ago, dizmo said:

Really? Odd. I used a Note5 extensively for a year and never saw any burn in at all.

Manager got a note 8 on january 2nd and his is showing burn in already but luckily for him it's a company phone so he'll get it changed eventually. Then my friend's note 5 and s5  both have it awful, you can see all his whatsapp chats on his creen

CPU: Intel i7 7700K | GPU: ROG Strix GTX 1080Ti | PSU: Seasonic X-1250 (faulty) | Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200Mhz 16GB | OS Drive: Western Digital Black NVMe 250GB | Game Drive(s): Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Hitachi 7K3000 3TB 3.5" | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z270x Gaming 7 | Case: Fractal Design Define S (No Window and modded front Panel) | Monitor(s): Dell S2716DG G-Sync 144Hz, Acer R240HY 60Hz (Dead) | Keyboard: G.SKILL RIPJAWS KM780R MX | Mouse: Steelseries Sensei 310 (Striked out parts are sold or dead, awaiting zen2 parts)

5 hours ago, dizmo said:

I only somewhat agree with that. There are always spec bumps. Better cameras, better batteries, bigger batteries, etc.

I still haven't found a phone I'd consider perfect enough to keep for more than a year.

You can't max out a DXOMark score...

Then you basically agree. I said more of the same but better - that amounts to what you said about spec bumps.

Doesn't DXOMark only go to 100? Or have I misread something? We already have phones at 99.

1 hour ago, Castdeath97 said:

Wait Mali GPUs still struggle to get to Aderno levels of performance? Oh FFS.

Does anyone here know whether the UK gets the 845 or the Exynos?

Adreno 630 gets 14 fps per watt. Mali G72 gets 6 fps per watt. That's in Manhattan. 630 is an absolutely insane amount faster but use less power at the same time. So you get a lot more frames while consuming less power. There is no trade off.

Anandtech has you covered. It's depressing.

I'm 99% sure UK gets Exynos like the rest of Europe. I'm guessing Snapdragon 845 will win in power efficiency. You'll trade CPU performance for CPU efficiency, modem efficiency, GPU performance and efficiency. 

Should be noted preliminary testing shows odd CPU results so unless they get fixed on retail devices, it's performing less than advertised outside of geekbench (aka benchmarks). Also, they'll gimp CPU performance to keep it more in line with Snapdragon 845 according to a rep so you may need a custom kernel to unlock performance. Probably also to keep power consumption in check. 

Saw a Swedish site report the price of it as €400, that seems too good to pass tbh, if that's the case I'm selling my pice of shit G6 and getting one however little I like Sammy phones

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

1 hour ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

Saw a Swedish site report the price of it as €400, that seems too good to pass tbh, if that's the case I'm selling my pice of shit G6 and getting one however little I like Sammy phones

I don't know where you heard that because it's ridiculous. It's double that. Or the same as S8 launched at.

18 hours ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

Am I the only one who thinks that phones are getting more boring every year?

Nope, you're not the only one.

Aesthetically this phone is an S8 with the fingerprint scanner moved since that was the deal breaking flaw that the media pinned on the S8. If you've ever used the S8 you'd know that the fingerprint scanner location was never really an issue in the first place.

As far as the hardware goes the S9 just offers many small upgrades like the rear camera/camera duo(s9+) and the 845(which offers more things we still can't benefit from like the 1.2Gbps download speeds(as if the S8's 1Gbps was even being utilized).

In a nutshell it's just a bunch of subtle upgrades that should only be exciting for you if the device releases right when you plan to update and you want the best android regardless of price.

This has been TidalWaveZ reporting, now back to your normally scheduled programming.

- ASUS X99 Deluxe - i7 5820k - Nvidia GTX 1080ti SLi - 4x4GB EVGA SSC 2800mhz DDR4 - Samsung SM951 500 - 2x Samsung 850 EVO 512 -

- EK Supremacy EVO CPU Block - EK FC 1080 GPU Blocks - EK XRES 100 DDC - EK Coolstream XE 360 - EK Coolstream XE 240 -

1 hour ago, Trixanity said:

I don't know where you heard that because it's ridiculous. It's double that. Or the same as S8 launched at.

Swedish online paper, don't remember which one seeing as my friend showed me only briefly but they were claiming that it would launch at €400 and up to €100 rebate for trading in your old phone

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

13 hours ago, LAwLz said:

Well yeah, it's a "S8s" but what else did people expect? You could basically argue that the S8 was just an "S7s" too, but with a slightly more stretched out screen.

So here are the new things compared to the Galaxy S8:

• Slight redesign. Moved the fingerprint scanner, made it slightly smaller but kept the screen size the same, and really minor tweaks like that.
  • Massive leap forward in terms of processing power (at least on the EMEA version)
  • More RAM on the + version, and more storage options (S8 was 64GB only, this goes up to 256GB)
  • New camera sensor. Not sure if it'll be an improvement image quality wise, but it should be better for things like a smaller rolling shutter effect (if it has any at all) and possibly even shorter capture lag. Multi-frame noise reduction might be a really big improvement too.
  • Holy balls aperture blades in a smartphone!? Am I reading that right?
  • Much improved slo-mo mode (4 times as slow).
  • Dual camera with the secondary one having a telephoto lens. Post-processing bokeh.
  • Stupid face scanning crap.
  • New Bixby stuff (yawn). I mean, it is super impressive that it works at all, but I don't use personal assistants and we are at this awkward place where some assistants are better at some things, and others are better in some other areas.
  • Improved screen (brightness at least, not sure if you can make the S8 screen that much better than it already is)
  • Dual speakers
  • New modem (cat 18)
  • Improvements to DeX.

That display on the S8 was everything, though -- it dictated the shape, interface and overall experience.  The rest may have been relatively modest, but that one change was so fundamental that it affected everything.

This?  Well, it's a welcome advance, but you have to really, really want variable aperture, that slow motion mode (Sony already had that) and stereo speakers to upgrade to this from an S8 or a similar 2017 phone.  New phones almost always have new processors, and while that's helpful given Samsung's reputation for overhead, was the S8 exactly hurting for speed?  I could see a handful of people using this as a reason to jump from the regular S8 to an S9 Plus, but otherwise this is more for those upgrading from 2016-era hardware.

8 hours ago, Not_Jony_Ive said:

Tomorrow's headline: Apple apparently PATENTED the word: reimagined.

From now on, this word can only used by us, and within a sentence that consists : "revolutionary" "iphone" "ipad" "mac" "it just works" "best we've ever done" "you are going to love it" "one more thing"

Fuck it, I'll just tell Tim to patent all of those words and phrases. 

Everything you said above sounds like something Trump would say in a speech....

Some people prefer a challenge, I just band my head against a wall until my method works...

19 hours ago, The Viking said:

............this is so underwhelming after all the advertisement they made (yes I was floded with it everywhere)... so they just...moved the fingerprint sensor to finally where it belongs, below the camera (took you what, 2 or 3 years, samsung? the chinese did it before you....) and.....

4 or 6gb of ram and only 64gb of internal space? Is this a flagship? What, you'll sell this for 900e again? Damn, the Mate 10 Pro is STILL superior to this thing (6gb ram/128gb internal storage/cheaper...)

this phone belongs in midrange with those specs. There.

i mean Its a boring upgrade but your a bit Over dramatic. Camera Physically changing the Lens not some software BS is cool only phone to do this so far. have to wait to see how it helps in the real world. though. 

they had 1 year the finger print was terrible S8 & S8+  s7 and s6 both had great finger prints in good spots.

a Snapdragon 845 Being literally the only phone with this right now puts it at the top of the best ( temporarily)  4gb on the 8 is them being stingy but regardless its still going to be a top of the line phone and the 6gb version will be more then enough for todays phones. 

Its just your regular upgrade exactly matching all leaks and what anyone should come to expect from any manuf smartphone upgrade now days so i dont get how its underwhelming.