Samsung Galaxy S9 unveiled. 960FPS/720p, f/1.5 <-> f/2.4, SD845/E9810 and more

D13H4RD

On the outside it doesn't seem like much, but the internals are getting a pretty healthy boost. It's more like an "S8s" but that doesn't mean it's bad: the 6s for example was possibly one of the best iPhones in a long time.

It sounds like Samsung might've caught up to Google and apple with the camera, and the changeable aperture looks to be insanely good for low light and bokeh. More ram on the plus model is great to see and on the Soc side of things it's just insanity. The 845 has a healthy cpu performance boost and the gpu performance is quite a bit above the 835, and for the exynos the cpu performance is looking to be really freaking good: possibly a whole generation ahead of any other flagship smartphone soc with the exception of apple's. Other things improved are the addition of more storage options, a better placed fingerprint sensor, and stereo speakers.

Like really, what outside the design on the front and I guess the speed of the storage used, what hasn't improved? Everyone is complaining because the front looks the same but have you considered the insides?

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

Great for stereo loudspeakers finally, the variable aperture camera along stacked DRAM for 960fps slow-mo is amazing. 

The new Exynos 9810 is also a huge improvement compared to any other Android chip so that's awesome. 

I'm on my S6 and serves me great, sadly I don't like designs after it, or more like 'edge' only variants from now on. Also not fan of these aspect ratios and rounded display corners. 

S9 is really great, would consider it if I was upgrading, just don't like many design choices. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

I think it looks nice with one exception I find ugly on many Android phones. I know centered cameras make alot of sense from a technical and usability point of view but am I the only one who finds centered cameras on phones plain hideous?

11 hours ago, themctipers said:

on iOS you have to hold for about half a second

3D Touch is like, 0.1s

huge difference in what it feels like, not really when you think about it. 

I also like how you can swipe from the left to the right to get multitasking, i hold my phone left handed and having multitasking button be on the bottom left or right hand.. straining my finger just trying to reach it on my phone

you can also always safari -> new tab because i have no idea what i did last night and I don't need other people knowing either

You can do the same thing with Android and a different launcher :P

7 hours ago, Curufinwe_wins said:

As an s7 user. I am buying a s9+ asap. In the US 819 from Samsung actually doesn't sound like a bad price to me considering I bought my S7 for 400 dollars, and Samsung is offering 300 back for it. 100 dollar loss to use my favorite phone yet for 2 years.

Looking forward to the camera, looking forward to the battery. Absolutely would NEVER go back to an non-zone backlit LCD model again. Black levels for watching movies and videos on the device really does mean that much to me.

Weren't they only offering that trade in valuation for S8's and iPhone 8/10's?

7 hours ago, XenosTech said:

Manager got a note 8 on january 2nd and his is showing burn in already but luckily for him it's a company phone so he'll get it changed eventually. Then my friend's note 5 and s5  both have it awful, you can see all his whatsapp chats on his creen

Weird, like I said, never had an issue with them. Neither have any of my friends that have had Samsung devices *shrug*

6 hours ago, Trixanity said:

Then you basically agree. I said more of the same but better - that amounts to what you said about spec bumps.

Doesn't DXOMark only go to 100? Or have I misread something? We already have phones at 99.

Nope, that's a very common misconception. There just haven't been many devices that have broken that barrier. The Pentax 645Z and a Hasselblad DSLR have both surpassed 100. You can also see single categories of some smartphones surpassing the 100 mark. It's not a percentage system, simply a way that you can look at a series of numbers, and the higher number is the winner.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

27 minutes ago, dizmo said:

or use a lg phone lol

27 minutes ago, dizmo said:

Weird, like I said, never had an issue with them. Neither have any of my friends that have had Samsung devices *shrug*

That's the only thing putting me off samsung and anybody using oled displays. Seeing burn in triggers ocd mode in me for some reason, probably why I dont look at my phone much now

CPU: Intel i7 7700K | GPU: ROG Strix GTX 1080Ti | PSU: Seasonic X-1250 (faulty) | Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200Mhz 16GB | OS Drive: Western Digital Black NVMe 250GB | Game Drive(s): Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Hitachi 7K3000 3TB 3.5" | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z270x Gaming 7 | Case: Fractal Design Define S (No Window and modded front Panel) | Monitor(s): Dell S2716DG G-Sync 144Hz, Acer R240HY 60Hz (Dead) | Keyboard: G.SKILL RIPJAWS KM780R MX | Mouse: Steelseries Sensei 310 (Striked out parts are sold or dead, awaiting zen2 parts)

7 hours ago, Trixanity said:

Then you basically agree. I said more of the same but better - that amounts to what you said about spec bumps.

Doesn't DXOMark only go to 100? Or have I misread something? We already have phones at 99.

Adreno 630 gets 14 fps per watt. Mali G72 gets 6 fps per watt. That's in Manhattan. 630 is an absolutely insane amount faster but use less power at the same time. So you get a lot more frames while consuming less power. There is no trade off.

Anandtech has you covered. It's depressing.

I'm 99% sure UK gets Exynos like the rest of Europe. I'm guessing Snapdragon 845 will win in power efficiency. You'll trade CPU performance for CPU efficiency, modem efficiency, GPU performance and efficiency. 

Should be noted preliminary testing shows odd CPU results so unless they get fixed on retail devices, it's performing less than advertised outside of geekbench (aka benchmarks). Also, they'll gimp CPU performance to keep it more in line with Snapdragon 845 according to a rep so you may need a custom kernel to unlock performance. Probably also to keep power consumption in check. 

Is there any other new 845 phones?

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

19 minutes ago, Castdeath97 said:

Is there any other new 845 phones?

Sony's Xperia XZ2, Xiaomi's Mi Mix 2S, likely one or two others as well.

3 hours ago, Commodus said:

Sony's Xperia XZ2, Xiaomi's Mi Mix 2S, likely one or two others as well.

The Sony phone is getting a 4K screen though, I feel like that’s kinda of a waste really.

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

On 2/25/2018 at 12:05 PM, PCGuy_5960 said:

Am I the only one who thinks that phones are getting more boring every year?

Meh there's not as much innovation, that is true.

Basically it's an S8 and S8+ respectively but the S9+ has 2GB more than most S8+'s and an extra camera over the S8+.

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

Samsung needs to make a big advancement in design or something in the s10 because while they've been refining the design of the s7 edge, its getting a little boring with the hardware and design just being slightly improved year after year. I still have my s4 and its doing absolutely great. Im still going to wait till next year till the s10 or hopefully the google pixel three because none of these phone actually excite me.

The only reason I'm here is that I have homework that I don't want to do

PC  Specs   CPU: Intel Celeron N3060 |GPU: Intel HD graphics 400 |RAM2 gigs  |STORAGE16 gigs

It took me half an hour to find where to change my signature :(

4 hours ago, dizmo said:

Weren't they only offering that trade in valuation for S8's and iPhone 8/10's?

Nope, that's a very common misconception. There just haven't been many devices that have broken that barrier. The Pentax 645Z and a Hasselblad DSLR have both surpassed 100. You can also see single categories of some smartphones surpassing the 100 mark. It's not a percentage system, simply a way that you can look at a series of numbers, and the higher number is the winner.

350 for an S8. Which is a terrible deal. 300 for an S7 which is a great one.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

5 minutes ago, Curufinwe_wins said:

350 for an S8. Which is a terrible deal. 300 for an S7 which is a great one.

That much?! Damn. That's not bad at all. At that price you can save quite a bit by finding a great deal on an old ratty one.

There were rumors it'd be close to $1k, I'm glad the price is still around $800.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

14 minutes ago, Bigbootyjudy said:

Samsung needs to make a big advancement in design or something in the s10 because while they've been refining the design of the s7 edge, its getting a little boring with the hardware and design just being slightly improved year after year. I still have my s4 and its doing absolutely great. Im still going to wait till next year till the s10 or hopefully the google pixel three because none of these phone actually excite me.

Well the thing is, what do you want them to do design wise?

About 90% of the front is already just a screen. So they only have the back and sides to "design", and those already have pretty strict ways they need to be designed in.

14 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

About 90% of the front is already just a screen. So they only have the back and sides to "design", and those already have pretty strict ways they need to be designed in.

They don't have a whole lot of breathing room, to be sure... although it would be funny if they ended up making a phone with a notch just because they can't stand the thought of leaving the screen size as-is.

On 2/25/2018 at 12:19 PM, Exprima said:

I'm a manager for Verizon and was introduced to this 2 weeks ago lol. The camera is legit. Personally I'll prolly still wait for the Pixel 3 as I'm not a fan of Samsung's software.

Does the camera touch the Pixel 2 though?

I used to be quite active here.

2 hours ago, dizmo said:

That much?! Damn. That's not bad at all. At that price you can save quite a bit by finding a great deal on an old ratty one.

There were rumors it'd be close to $1k, I'm glad the price is still around $800.

Word is that pricing outside the US isn't as nice, but yeah 300 for an S7 is actually a good incentive.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

4 hours ago, LAwLz said:

True, there is not really any way they can absolutely change the design formula. I guess I'm just looking for some change. I will be fed up if on the s10 the design is basically identical around the phone (the screen will probably get bigger) to the s8 and s9. Oh well, I guess that I just have something against samsung now since I see other phone companies, even though they are younger, making some crazy advances and features to their software and hardware.

PC  Specs   CPU: Intel Celeron N3060 |GPU: Intel HD graphics 400 |RAM2 gigs  |STORAGE16 gigs

1 hour ago, Bigbootyjudy said:

True, there is not really any way they can absolutely change the design formula. I guess I'm just looking for some change. I will be fed up if on the s10 the design is basically identical around the phone (the screen will probably get bigger) to the s8 and s9. Oh well, I guess that I just have something against samsung now since I see other phone companies, even though they are younger, making some crazy advances and features to their software and hardware.

Such as? What is it that those other companies do that Samsung doesn't?

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

49 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

Such as? What is it that those other companies do that Samsung doesn't?

gosh, I've been gotten again. Let me restate and not say crazy. I think that other companies have more interesting features adn are willing to gamble a little more on what they should include in the next phone. I feel like samsung, while they have found a formula that works, doesn't seem to be taking new ideas and developing them to their fullest. Their phones are great, no doubt, but in my opinion I don't think that they have been advancing since the invention of the infinity display and improving their cameras. 

edit: hopefully I dont come off as a arse. this is just what I feel :)

The slow-mo part isn't even impressive considering Sony's phone can do 960FPS at 1080p

Corsair 600T | Intel Core i7-4770K @ 4.5GHz | Samsung SSD Evo 970 1TB | MS Windows 10 | Samsung CF791 34" | 16GB 1600 MHz Kingston DDR3 HyperX | ASUS Formula VI | Corsair H110  Corsair AX1200i | ASUS Strix Vega 56 8GB Internet http://beta.speedtest.net/result/4365368180

On 2/25/2018 at 1:17 PM, suicidalfranco said:

Meh,. Double glass. Not interested.... Again

The double-glass design that Samsung has been using since the GS6 is the main reason I keep buying their phones (Note 5, Note 7, GS7E, Note 8).  I've loved double glass and metal frame designs since the iPhone 4.  But to each his own.

Intel Core i7 4930K @ 4.7GHz | Asus Rampage IV Extreme | 2 x EVGA GTX Titan SC (1254MHz) | 16GB Patriot Viper Extreme DDR3 2133MHz (4 x 4GB) | Corsair AX1200 | Silverstone Temjin TJ11 | Corsair Force 3 240GB (System) | 2 x Intel 320 160GB SSD (Dedicated Gaming Drives) | Hitachi Deskstar 1TB (Data) | MS Windows 10 Pro | EK Supreme HF/FC-Titan/Rampage IV Extreme blocks | Hardware Labs GTX 560/240 rads | Alphacool VPP-655 D5 pump | Bitspower mod kit/pump top/fittings/120mm res

On 2/25/2018 at 1:33 PM, D13H4RD2L1V3 said:

I was never interested in this phone to begin with.

Not because it's bad, but because my Note8 already does a heap already.

People like us with a Note 8, or even an S8, are not the target market for this phone.  The Note 9 will be the next logical replacement for the Note 8 and even then its really only when you're like me and simply want the new features and design every year.  I mean, I still have my Note 5 and it would still work perfectly well for me as a daily driver, but I still got the Note 7 and 8.  Typically I hold off on the Notes on release since Black Friday is only a couple months later and you can get really good deals.  I got my Note 8 for $585 from Best Buy.

Intel Core i7 4930K @ 4.7GHz | Asus Rampage IV Extreme | 2 x EVGA GTX Titan SC (1254MHz) | 16GB Patriot Viper Extreme DDR3 2133MHz (4 x 4GB) | Corsair AX1200 | Silverstone Temjin TJ11 | Corsair Force 3 240GB (System) | 2 x Intel 320 160GB SSD (Dedicated Gaming Drives) | Hitachi Deskstar 1TB (Data) | MS Windows 10 Pro | EK Supreme HF/FC-Titan/Rampage IV Extreme blocks | Hardware Labs GTX 560/240 rads | Alphacool VPP-655 D5 pump | Bitspower mod kit/pump top/fittings/120mm res

I hate a Note 5, rather poor battery life on my phone now...

I was planning on getting the Note 8, but decided to hold off and see what the S9+ offers. 

Note 5 to S9+ will be a big improvement anyway. 

I recently got an S8 so I dont need this. I'll await the S10 or S11 or maybe S12.

15 hours ago, Kobathor said:

Does the camera touch the Pixel 2 though?

I would say so.

Ryzen 5 3600 | EVGA CLC240 | EVGA RTX 2070 Super XC Ultra | ASRock B450 Pro4 | 16gb EVGA SuperSC DDR4-3200 | 1tb WD SN550 | 2tb SanDisk Ultra 3DEVGA P2 650w | Fractal Design Meshify CViewSonic VX2758-2KP-MHD + ViewSonic VS2412-H | GHS.RAR (Boba U4s, Staebies, GMK Aurora Polaris + Artisans) | Steelseries Aerox Ghost | Artisan-Japan Ninja FX Hien (M/Soft) | Fostex HP-A3 | Fostex PM0.3G | Fostex T60RP | Beyerdynamic DT 1990 Pro | Beyerdynamic FOX