Samsung Galaxy S9 unveiled. 960FPS/720p, f/1.5 <-> f/2.4, SD845/E9810 and more

D13H4RD
20 hours ago, XenosTech said:

or use a lg phone lol

That's the only thing putting me off samsung and anybody using oled displays. Seeing burn in triggers ocd mode in me for some reason, probably why I dont look at my phone much now

my s7edge after almost 2 years now has no noticble burn in unless full brightness on a white screen and even then you got to stare at it, ive seen pixel 2s look worse though after 2 months. samsung seems to be the absolute best at oled tech. id imagine iphone x doesnt have any either. 

21 minutes ago, michaelocarroll007 said:

my s7edge after almost 2 years now has no noticble burn in unless full brightness on a white screen and even then you got to stare at it, ive seen pixel 2s look worse though after 2 months. samsung seems to be the absolute best at oled tech. id imagine iphone x doesnt have any either. 

Probably don't use your phone as much as we do... We end up staring at electrical and network maps for hours on end tracing cables as a part of our jobs

CPU: Intel i7 7700K | GPU: ROG Strix GTX 1080Ti | PSU: Seasonic X-1250 (faulty) | Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200Mhz 16GB | OS Drive: Western Digital Black NVMe 250GB | Game Drive(s): Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Hitachi 7K3000 3TB 3.5" | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z270x Gaming 7 | Case: Fractal Design Define S (No Window and modded front Panel) | Monitor(s): Dell S2716DG G-Sync 144Hz, Acer R240HY 60Hz (Dead) | Keyboard: G.SKILL RIPJAWS KM780R MX | Mouse: Steelseries Sensei 310 (Striked out parts are sold or dead, awaiting zen2 parts)

2 minutes ago, XenosTech said:

Probably don't use your phone as much as we do... We end up staring at electrical and network maps for hours on end tracing cables as a part of our jobs

i do use it a WAY above average person does but yeah if your using it with a static imagine 6 hours every day maybe not. i wouldnt blame the phone or screen though at that point its a phone for regular standard use not business equipment. an lcd would deff benefit you more. 

Still rocking a basic A3 2016 does the job for me atm, got a DSLR for camera duties.  Have pondered trading it in for a pre-owned Note however.

PC - NZXT H510 Elite, Ryzen 5600, 16GB DDR3200 2x8GB, EVGA 3070 FTW3 Ultra, Asus VG278HQ 165hz,

Mac - 1.4ghz i5, 4GB DDR3 1600mhz, Intel HD 5000.  x2

Endlessly wishing for a BBQ in space.

44 minutes ago, michaelocarroll007 said:

i do use it a WAY above average person does but yeah if your using it with a static imagine 6 hours every day maybe not. i wouldnt blame the phone or screen though at that point its a phone for regular standard use not business equipment. an lcd would deff benefit you more. 

Yeah lcd would be nice but my poor v10 is getting ghosting now :/

CPU: Intel i7 7700K | GPU: ROG Strix GTX 1080Ti | PSU: Seasonic X-1250 (faulty) | Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200Mhz 16GB | OS Drive: Western Digital Black NVMe 250GB | Game Drive(s): Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Hitachi 7K3000 3TB 3.5" | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z270x Gaming 7 | Case: Fractal Design Define S (No Window and modded front Panel) | Monitor(s): Dell S2716DG G-Sync 144Hz, Acer R240HY 60Hz (Dead) | Keyboard: G.SKILL RIPJAWS KM780R MX | Mouse: Steelseries Sensei 310 (Striked out parts are sold or dead, awaiting zen2 parts)

16 hours ago, michaelocarroll007 said:

I still have every Samsung phone I've owned since 2015 (Note 5, 7, and 8 as well as an S7E) and have NEVER had a single instance of burn-in on any of them.  I can't figure out what people are doing on their phones that this would ever become an issue?  I mean, yes the display models at stores almost always have burn-in but that is because they sit in the stores on the desktop for 24/7.  In normal usage I can't envision a scenario in which you would be constantly looking at a static image for long enough periods of time to develop burn-in, even if AMOLED technology is more susceptible to it.

EDIT - Saw above about the viewing of schematics but agree with the other member who said that sort of usage is not really indicative of a design flaw with AMOLED screens.  I mean, all you'd have to do would be to scroll around a bit or zoom the image (which I'd imagine you'd HAVE to do anyway when tracing cables on a small phone screen) and you shouldn't have a problem.  

Intel Core i7 4930K @ 4.7GHz | Asus Rampage IV Extreme | 2 x EVGA GTX Titan SC (1254MHz) | 16GB Patriot Viper Extreme DDR3 2133MHz (4 x 4GB) | Corsair AX1200 | Silverstone Temjin TJ11 | Corsair Force 3 240GB (System) | 2 x Intel 320 160GB SSD (Dedicated Gaming Drives) | Hitachi Deskstar 1TB (Data) | MS Windows 10 Pro | EK Supreme HF/FC-Titan/Rampage IV Extreme blocks | Hardware Labs GTX 560/240 rads | Alphacool VPP-655 D5 pump | Bitspower mod kit/pump top/fittings/120mm res

Galaxy S8s

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

3 hours ago, DrMacintosh said:

Galaxy S8s

That's one hell of a convincing argument. It brought the discussion to a level where most of us mere mortals simply can't hope to participate. I shall yield and be converted to the Faith of Jobs where there are no uncertainty or doubt. 

Yeah... No.

CoWZ05t.gif

7 hours ago, MegaTechPC said:

I still have every Samsung phone I've owned since 2015 (Note 5, 7, and 8 as well as an S7E) and have NEVER had a single instance of burn-in on any of them.  I can't figure out what people are doing on their phones that this would ever become an issue?  I mean, yes the display models at stores almost always have burn-in but that is because they sit in the stores on the desktop for 24/7.  In normal usage I can't envision a scenario in which you would be constantly looking at a static image for long enough periods of time to develop burn-in, even if AMOLED technology is more susceptible to it.

EDIT - Saw above about the viewing of schematics but agree with the other member who said that sort of usage is not really indicative of a design flaw with AMOLED screens.  I mean, all you'd have to do would be to scroll around a bit or zoom the image (which I'd imagine you'd HAVE to do anyway when tracing cables on a small phone screen) and you shouldn't have a problem.  

Beilieve i was the one who also mentioned that specfic problem isnt really the phones fault haha. But ive also had a  S4 Note 4 S5 S6 S7Edge still in use now and they have all never suffered from burn in thats noticble when using your phone. But the Static Notification bar up top can been seen if i Pull up a Fully White screen or Grey and crank the brightness and stare for it. 

The only time its ever present during regular use is when your doing something that minimizes the Notification bar like when Viewing pictures and the image is light in color or watching a video and same thing with the image being very light in color. Though all the phones ive mentioned dont have any on screen keys so this might increase the likiely hood of burn in and be more noticble as there bigger then the notification bar.

Overall its something that is Not noticible to most people on a day to day basis even as someone who knows its there i almost never see it. 

Do we really need a new thread every time a new phone is announced? Everyone knows, it has a slightly larger screen, slightly larger battery, slightly faster processor, slightly more ram, slightly more useless software, slightly more waterproofing, slightly better camera, slightly better screen, still terrible fingerprint sensor. 

unless someone makes a phone with the fingerprint sensor under the screen i dont see any reason to thread it. 

8 hours ago, DrMacintosh said:

Galaxy S8s

I don't see that as a bad thing.

Look at the iPhone 6s, 7 and 8. Same basic shell from the 6 but that didn't stop them from being good phones, even if they do look a little dated.

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

37 minutes ago, LordofGangsters said:

Do we really need a new thread every time a new phone is announced? Everyone knows, it has a slightly larger screen, slightly larger battery, slightly faster processor, slightly more ram, slightly more useless software, slightly more waterproofing, slightly better camera, slightly better screen, still terrible fingerprint sensor. 

unless someone makes a phone with the fingerprint sensor under the screen i dont see any reason to thread it. 

It's just news. Yes, it's incremental, but we talk about this all the time.

Also, a phone with an under-display finger scanner already exists. It's called the Vivo X20 Plus UD

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

Just now, D13H4RD2L1V3 said:

Also, a phone with an under-display finger scanner already exists. It's called the Vivo X20 Plus UD

Its made by someone without the name Samsung or Apple, meaning it is of no consequence to the industry

1 minute ago, LordofGangsters said:

Its made by someone without the name Samsung or Apple, meaning it is of no consequence to the industry

Not really.

It's the 5th largest cellphone OEM by market share, and when combined with Oppo, which basically belongs to the same family, they could be more-or-less #3 or #2.

It's gotten a lot of media coverage, so you'd bet others are paying attention, especially when that same company made a phone that has pretty much zero bezels all around with no notch.

7 hours ago, LordofGangsters said:

I'm just waiting until we need to start pricking our fingers for a blood scan to unlock our phones everytime.

Everyone will know the pain of having diabeetus!

13 hours ago, D13H4RD2L1V3 said:

I don't see that as a bad thing.

Look at the iPhone 6s, 7 and 8. Same basic shell from the 6 but that didn't stop them from being good phones, even if they do look a little dated.

I'm still upset they didn't go to iPhone 5 styling.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

On 2/25/2018 at 7:05 PM, hey_yo_ said:

Will Samsung ever consider a high end Galaxy S/Note series with a physical keyboard?

2010. Sprint exclusive, their variant of the OG Galaxy S has a physical keyboard.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

16 hours ago, LordofGangsters said:

Simple answer:  Yes.  Yes we do need a new thread to discuss a new product on a technology DISCUSSION forum.  I mean, that's the point of this place.  If you don't find anything interesting or compelling about the S9 or S9 Plus then fine, no need to click on the thread in the first place.  But clearly plenty of people DO want to discuss this new product.

Intel Core i7 4930K @ 4.7GHz | Asus Rampage IV Extreme | 2 x EVGA GTX Titan SC (1254MHz) | 16GB Patriot Viper Extreme DDR3 2133MHz (4 x 4GB) | Corsair AX1200 | Silverstone Temjin TJ11 | Corsair Force 3 240GB (System) | 2 x Intel 320 160GB SSD (Dedicated Gaming Drives) | Hitachi Deskstar 1TB (Data) | MS Windows 10 Pro | EK Supreme HF/FC-Titan/Rampage IV Extreme blocks | Hardware Labs GTX 560/240 rads | Alphacool VPP-655 D5 pump | Bitspower mod kit/pump top/fittings/120mm res

I just checked out the new S9 and S9+ at Best Buy today (they have them on display already)! Gotta say that new Lilac Purple is a winner, although if I were to be ordering one it'd have to be the Coral Blue ( a color I originally fell in love with on my Note 7). I do wish the current Coral Blue offered the Rose Gold aluminum frame of my Note 7, but its still a stunning color in person and I wish Samsung had offered it on the Note 8 (I had to go with the Midnight Black).

As far as the phone itself is concerned, it is unsurprisingly a very mild refresh of the still fantastic S8 and S8+, and I really had a hard time even being able to tell the two phones apart looking at them from the front, which is fine with me since the S8 and S8+ are still the best looking phones on the market IMO (shout out to the iPX here for being a very close runner up). I prefer the rounded corners and more pronounced Edge display over my boxier and less aggressively styled Note 8. The "chin" of the phone is also slimmed down a bit over that of the S8 and S8+ which is noticeable when compared side-by-side, but is not readily apparent at first glance.

Its under the hood where the differences really show up in improved hardware and feature content. The dual aperture rear camera is definitely the most significant hardware upgrade for me personally, and it worked very well in my limited time playing around with the phone. Obviously the new SD 845 is going to offer better bench scores (for those of you that care about such silly nonsense) but I certainly couldn't perceive any performance advantages between it and the SD 835 in my Note 8 during regular usage. You also get the same 6GB of system memory as the Note 8 (in the Plus model anyway) which will ensure you never have to reload apps. I honestly didn't even bother with the ridiculous "AR Emoji" thing because, you know, its stupid. The tech that makes it work is a nice addition, however, as I would feel much more secure about using Face Unlock with the S9 / S9+ than with my Note 8.

Overall I'm moderately impressed with Samsung's newest iteration of their Galaxy flagship. It is nothing remotely revolutionary like the S8 was, but it is a logical evolution of that pioneering design language. As a result, I wouldn't really recommend this phone for current S8 / S8+ or Note 8 owners, but if you had been interested in the S8 or the Note 8 and didn't pull the trigger on either of those, you should definitely be considering the S9 and S9+ instead. Samsung has been following a very Intel-like "Tick-Tock" approach to their Galaxy lineup for a few years now, and the even numbered releases tend to have the big, revolutionary design changes (think S4, S6, S8) while the odd numbered releases tend to build upon the preceding designs (think S5, S7, and now S9).

Anybody else have any hands-on experience with the new S9 or S9+ yet?

Just preordered the S9+ ... upgrading from my note 4.. because it is dying :(

Oh wow, going from a Note 4 to an S9+ is going to be an amazing upgrade!  You're gonna love this thing (though will be missing out on the excellent S-Pen).

On 2/26/2018 at 4:55 AM, Trixanity said:

Then you basically agree. I said more of the same but better - that amounts to what you said about spec bumps.

Doesn't DXOMark only go to 100? Or have I misread something? We already have phones at 99.

Adreno 630 gets 14 fps per watt. Mali G72 gets 6 fps per watt. That's in Manhattan. 630 is an absolutely insane amount faster but use less power at the same time. So you get a lot more frames while consuming less power. There is no trade off.

Anandtech has you covered. It's depressing.

I'm 99% sure UK gets Exynos like the rest of Europe. I'm guessing Snapdragon 845 will win in power efficiency. You'll trade CPU performance for CPU efficiency, modem efficiency, GPU performance and efficiency. 

Should be noted preliminary testing shows odd CPU results so unless they get fixed on retail devices, it's performing less than advertised outside of geekbench (aka benchmarks). Also, they'll gimp CPU performance to keep it more in line with Snapdragon 845 according to a rep so you may need a custom kernel to unlock performance. Probably also to keep power consumption in check. 

DXO is a score, not a percentage, as useful as it is for a reference point, it should not be advertised to consumers. I have heard so many people saying a phone with a 99 is a 99% perfect camera and we can't go any farther. I have no idea how this started other than people just wanting to guess they know something. Most consumers probably just heard about DXO for the first time from phones and don't know the scale. There are already cameras with scores higher than a 100. For example the RED Helium 8k has a score of 107. It should be also noted that they rate smartphones on a separate scale from their other cameras. So it's also not like saying the phone is like super close to an expensive cinema camera.

1 hour ago, Inkz said:

DXO is a score, not a percentage, as useful as it is for a reference point, it should not be advertised to consumers. I have heard so many people saying a phone with a 99 is a 99% perfect camera and we can't go any farther. I have no idea how this started other than people just wanting to guess they know something. Most consumers probably just heard about DXO for the first time from phones and don't know the scale. There are already cameras with scores higher than a 100. For example the RED Helium 8k has a score of 107. It should be also noted that they rate smartphones on a separate scale from their other cameras. So it's also not like saying the phone is like super close to an expensive cinema camera.

Yes, we already established that. Pretty pointless to bump a thread to repeat what someone else said.

Besides, as I noted: I care little for DXOMark. Hence I haven't bothered to look past the surface.