Nvidia Teases Another Titan X: Titan X Collectors Edition

Max_Settings
3 hours ago, Max_Settings said:

No, how does that mean it’s locked? It’s like how a car manufacturer doesn’t allow dealers to tune cars, but you still can.

It's locked in the sense that they cannot bin GPUs as well as they would do, so you could have a bad chip with a good cooler and a good chip with a bad cooler, and thereore have those less overclockable in the end

2 hours ago, DLex said:

That was in direct response to rumors that Volta might be released this fall. The idea that Pascal is going to be the only GPU lineup in 2018 for NVIDIA is laughable.

All well and good but does anyone know what the actual performance differential over Pascal Volta sans tensor cores actually has?

RGB instantly makes it $2500

Primary Laptop (Gearsy MK4): Ryzen 9 5900HX, Radeon RX 6800M, Radeon Vega 8 Mobile, 24 GB DDR4 2400 Mhz, 512 GB SSD+1TB SSD, 15.6 in 300 Hz IPS display

2021 Asus ROG Strix G15 Advantage Edition

Secondary Laptop (Uni MK2): Ryzen 7 5800HS, Nvidia GTX 1650, Radeon Vega 8 Mobile, 16 GB DDR4 3200 Mhz, 512 GB SSD 

2021 Asus ROG Zephyrus G14 

Meme Machine (Uni MK1): Shintel Core i5 7200U, Nvidia GT 940MX, 24 GB DDR4 2133 Mhz, 256 GB SSD+500GB HDD, 15.6 in TN Display 

2016 Acer Aspire E5 575 

Retired Laptop (Gearsy MK2): Ryzen 5 2500U, Radeon Vega 8 Mobile, 12 GB 2400 Mhz DDR4, 256 GB NVME SSD, 15.6" 1080p IPS Touchscreen 

2017 HP Envy X360 15z (Ryzen)

PC (Gearsy): A6 3650, HD 6530D , 8 GB 1600 Mhz Kingston DDR3, Some Random Mobo Lol, EVGA 450W BT PSU, Stock Cooler, 128 GB Kingston SSD, 1 TB WD Blue 7200 RPM

HP P7 1234 (Yes It's Actually Called That)  RIP 

Also im happy to answer any Ryzen Mobile questions if anyone is interested! 

6 minutes ago, ravenshrike said:

All well and good but does anyone know what the actual performance differential over Pascal Volta sans tensor cores actually has?

It depends on what you are trying to use them for.

Instead of releasing two completely pointless cards, how about lowering the prices for the current ones? In order to stay competitive.

That will drive people to buy your products more than new products switch make no sense in current market and line up.

3 hours ago, Princess Cadence said:

Uh no? Intel does not factory overclock their CPUs that doesn't turn something like i7 7700k locked just because it is up to the user to take matters on hands.

There's a big difference. If it comes with a factory overclock it's guaranteed to run at that speed by the manufacturer. If you manually overclock, it's luck of the draw and any problems you may have with it are not covered.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

6 minutes ago, Sauron said:

There's a big difference. If it comes with a factory overclock it's guaranteed to run at that speed by the manufacturer. If you manually overclock, it's luck of the draw and any problems you may have with it are not covered.

That's kinda why silicon lottery exists on the CPU side. AIB like ASUS, EVGA and MSI exist to bin the chips for us and make sure that the premium silicon gets placed in cards that have decent cooling solutions and the shit ones get thrown on a reference design or clocked lower.

Would think that on a tech forum most people would know this. I guess this is the year to launch useless products too Kbx, vega 64, Titan XP, 1070Ti, Titan collectors edition, 1800(x). I miss anything ?

CPU: Intel i7 7700K | GPU: ROG Strix GTX 1080Ti | PSU: Seasonic X-1250 (faulty) | Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200Mhz 16GB | OS Drive: Western Digital Black NVMe 250GB | Game Drive(s): Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Hitachi 7K3000 3TB 3.5" | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z270x Gaming 7 | Case: Fractal Design Define S (No Window and modded front Panel) | Monitor(s): Dell S2716DG G-Sync 144Hz, Acer R240HY 60Hz (Dead) | Keyboard: G.SKILL RIPJAWS KM780R MX | Mouse: Steelseries Sensei 310 (Striked out parts are sold or dead, awaiting zen2 parts)

4 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

The majority of people buying dGPUs will likely not overclock them.

show me a statistic and i will believe you ;) 

Main Rig | Personal Build | Windows 10 | R7 2700x 3.7~4.3ghz | ASUS ROG Strix B450-I | 16gb DDR4 3200mhz | GTX 1080 FE | Coolermaster Elite 130 | Corsair H60 | WD Blue SN500 500GB NVMe SSD + 1tb WD Green HDD + 1tb WD Blue HDD

Laptop | HP m6-w102dx | Windows 10 | i7-5500u 2.4~3.0ghz | 8gb DDR3L | GT 930m 2gb| 120gb Sandisk SSD

Phone | Pixel 3 | Verizon | 64gb

Jen Hsun is possessed by Billy Mays ghost. 

Details separate people.

Hmm here is a thought, maybe this Titan has the GP100 in it. Highly doubt it, but you never know they may have some leftover gp100 dies laying around.

Bad name, nVidia, bad name. If you would have called it Titan X Ultra Edition, I would've bought it for over NINETHOUSANDS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Really, Jen-Hsun Huang has some kind of a fetish for "Titan".

DAC/AMPs:

Klipsch Heritage Headphone Amplifier

Headphones: Klipsch Heritage HP-3 Walnut, Meze 109 Pro, Beyerdynamic Amiron Home, Amiron Wireless Copper, Tygr 300R, DT880 600ohm Manufaktur, T90, Fidelio X2HR

CPU: Intel 4770, GPU: Asus RTX3080 TUF Gaming OC, Mobo: MSI Z87-G45, RAM: DDR3 16GB G.Skill, PC Case: Fractal Design R4 Black non-iglass, Monitor: BenQ GW2280

5 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

So basically effectively locked....

yeah Locked for the 98% of consumers who buy it and dont overlclock for various reasons  Not enough knowledge scared to dont feel like it Ect.  but Not locked for the 2% who are the majority who care. nvidia just knew how to tread water so lightly on this one anyone really mad will know how to over clock it anyway so they might calm down and the rest wont care. 

Also all Non OC benchmarks wont show it comming to overly close to the 1080

2 hours ago, NvidiaIntelAMDLoveTriangle said:

Instead of releasing two completely pointless cards, how about lowering the prices for the current ones? In order to stay competitive.

That will drive people to buy your products more than new products switch make no sense in current market and line up.

there products are competetive across the board. thats why they dont lower the prices. 

2 hours ago, NvidiaIntelAMDLoveTriangle said:

Why on earth would Nvidia lower their prices when sales of Pascal cards aren't particularly hurting? They released the 1070-Ti to better position themselves on the market segment between the 1070/1080 in terms of performance (weird retail pricing of 1080s being sold cheaper than 1070-Ti's notwithstanding) so that the Vega 56 has less room to grow market share (any card bought from AMD is a card not bought from Nvidia, so Nvidia will do what it needs to do to minimize that from occurring).

People will buy Nvidia products regardless because there are few/no alternatives in the mid-to-high end market segments :D. Each products/SKU is created and priced at a point where Nvidia projects/models it will make them the most money (because enough people will still buy them... even overpriced RGB Titan refreshes).

Spoiler

We may think Nvidia "should" bring us all new products (preferably for cheaper) because it's better for us consumers.

But in the end, they are only doing what is best for their bottom line... what a very small segment of their consumers on a tech forum think of their business decisions is irrelevant so long as they grow their profits (and going from their quarterly earnings reports / stock prices... they ain't breaking existing practices if they ain't broken!).

Also, R&D costs A LOT.... every company loves it minimize it whenever possible (read: it eats into profits).

>When the only competition is yourself so you keep making GPUs to clear out for the inventory and make room for the next generation. 

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

6 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

So basically effectively locked....

Not at all.... You can still overclock. What point are you trying to make here? It can be overclocked. Just not from factory which never made much of a difference anyways.. +25mhz on the core from factory? That's a weak oc from factory, but it's normal. So I don't think think is a big deal and people need to calm down from it. OC it yourself.

6 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

there is.

Not letting board partners overclock 1070Tis is probably making them furious. Consumers can't enjoy better clockspeeds without overclocking cos poor Nvidia couldn't manage to find a better way not to cannibalize GTX 1080 sales.

it also stifles competition and murders the margins of the board partners. They are forced to release the GPU with a custom design, but they aint making much money.

Not that AMD is any better. Know why we dont have custom VEGA? Because AMD has way higher margins on the reference model then when they sell to board partners. So AMD is just NOT giving chips to partners. And what little chips they DO give to partners goes to ASUS, as ASUS managed to carve out a deal that they have "first right"

4 hours ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

$60? thats not much. i cant say i can think of many builds where a 1070TI would make any sense over that 1080 for $60 more. im pretty sure anyone that sees the prices of most 1070TIs which is about €510 here, and then looks at the 1080s for the same price would pick the 1080. honestly if i stuble across a build where the 1070TI makes sense id be pretty surprised.

you can be negative nancy all you want 60 dollars can make a difference in a strict budget build

11 minutes ago, pas008 said:

you can be negative nancy all you want 60 dollars can make a difference in a strict budget build

If you cant spend an extra $60 because the budget is so tight then you shouldnt be buying a pc in the first place because obviously your money is needed elsewhere. These PCs are built for years of use which make them quite cheap in the long run. 

Just now, mynameisjuan said:

If you cant spend an extra $60 because the budget is so tight then you shouldnt be buying a pc in the first place because obviously your money is needed elsewhere. These PCs are built for years of use which make them quite cheap in the long run. 

oh wow

thats just a ridiculous statement

built many for people with strict budget because their wife, or its for their kid

Just now, pas008 said:

oh wow

thats just a ridiculous statement

built many for people with strict budget because their wife, or its for their kid

Still my point stands. Having a budget of $1000 on a PC and kicking yourself in the balls for not spending another 60 on a GPU or CPU where the performance gains would allow you to not upgrade for another 6-12 months alone makes budget builds fucking stupid. Over the years budget builder literally throw money away.

Just now, mynameisjuan said:

Still my point stands. Having a budget of $1000 on a PC and kicking yourself in the balls for not spending another 60 on a GPU or CPU where the performance gains would allow you to not upgrade for another 6-12 months alone makes budget builds fucking stupid. Over the years budget builder literally throw money away.

lol many people just buy a build and never upgrade

and how is a 1080 going to last longer than 1070ti they will most likely have the same lifespan cuz performance is near each other

logic?

22 minutes ago, pas008 said:

then you can probably cut somewhere else where its an easy and cheaper upgrade, like storage or RAM

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

2 minutes ago, pas008 said:

lol many people just buy a build and never upgrade

and how is a 1080 going to last longer than 1070ti they will most likely have the same lifespan cuz performance is near each other

logic?

Buy a budget build and never upgrade? Id love to see anyone who bought a budget build from 2-3 years ago and how it performs. From reviews it seems like the 1080 is like 10-15% ish increase in performance. That can make a difference. Point being that if you have to limit your spending on tightly on a PC then dont buy a PC. Spend the money that is needed elsewhere like bills, food, whatever.