Microsoft acknolwedges game stuttering in Win10, might release fix

NumLock21
41 minutes ago, tmcclelland455 said:

Congratulations! You aren't a complete dumbass who downloads every file you see on the internet!

Don't forget how Windows 7 takes forever just to to check for, download, and finally install updates (even after the method that actually un-breaks updates). Longest I've had to wait for Windows 10 is easily 20% of what it took for Windows 7.

Longest I waited was 3 days for Windows 7 to finally start downloading updates. There were some patches and fixes, which did fix it temporary, but those fix didn't last long.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

1 hour ago, laminutederire said:

It was a joke :) because sometimes people bitch about features which are kinda mandatory. You can't have an account without them knowing your password. You can't use a personal assistant with customization based on your writing or voice if they can't collect anything on those. You can't sync data without them putting the data elsewhere than on your pc. So I was ironically pointing that out.

Except if they really know you password, it's bad. They don't really know your password, they just have a hash of it. Hopefully...

\\ QUIET AUDIO WORKSTATION //

5960X 3.7GHz @ 0.983V / ASUS X99-A USB3.1      

32 GB G.Skill Ripjaws 4 & 2667MHz @ 1.2V

AMD R9 Fury X

256GB SM961 + 1TB Samsung 850 Evo  

Cooler Master Silencio 652S (soon Calyos NSG S0 ^^)              

Noctua NH-D15 / 3x NF-S12A                 

Seasonic PRIME Titanium 750W        

Logitech G810 Orion Spectrum / Logitech G900

2x Samsung S24E650BW 16:10  / Adam A7X / Fractal Axe Fx 2 Mark I

Windows 7 Ultimate

4K GAMING/EMULATION RIG

Xeon X5670 4.2Ghz (200BCLK) @ ~1.38V / Asus P6X58D Premium

12GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz

Gainward GTX 1080 Golden Sample

Intel 535 Series 240 GB + San Disk SSD Plus 512GB

Corsair Crystal 570X

Noctua NH-S12 

Be Quiet Dark Rock 11 650W

Logitech K830

Xbox One Wireless Controller

Logitech Z623 Speakers/Subwoofer

Windows 10 Pro

Recently I have been having an issue with my laptop to where if I didn't restart it after so long I would get super erratic frame rates in games, so maybe this will help me.

Anyone still going on about Windows 7 is superior are just unadaptable people stuck in their ways who don't like it just because it's different.

I have upgraded to the latest OS every time went from 7 to 8 almost as soon as it was realeased, do you know why I did that?

Its because tech moves forward and it doesn't wait for anyone, also it was better in every way when you actually figure out the new stuff.

3 hours ago, laminutederire said:

It was a joke :) because sometimes people bitch about features which are kinda mandatory. You can't have an account without them knowing your password. You can't use a personal assistant with customization based on your writing or voice if they can't collect anything on those. You can't sync data without them putting the data elsewhere than on your pc. So I was ironically pointing that out.

Actually the vast majority of companies don't know your password

System Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X

GPU: Radeon RX 7900 XT 

RAM: 32GB 3600MHz

HDD: 1TB Sabrent NVMe -  WD 1TB Black - WD 2TB Green -  WD 4TB Blue

MB: Gigabyte  B550 Gaming X- RGB Disabled

PSU: Corsair RM850x 80 Plus Gold

Case: BeQuiet! Silent Base 801 Black

Cooler: Noctua NH-DH15

4 hours ago, Cookybiscuit said:

bad compatibility with older games

i've played alot of early 2000s and late 90s games in Win 10 and surprisingly am yet to have any issues running games that were written for xp and up.

for those saying win 7 is superior, the amount of trash it collects with the reg issues are a pain in the ass. the slowdown is real.

4 hours ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

really?  Updates are a bad thing are they? lol

Updates aren't bad, new builds however are.

They usually consist of a bunch of bloatware and features i'll never use. More =/= better, especially when it comes down to an OS. Linux proves this point very well.

I honestly have issues calling the new builds updates because stuff rarely gets better with them.

They keep messing with the kernel, like WTF? Just leave it alone and release an update for it once it's actually an update and not just some tweaks that makes almost no difference.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

3 hours ago, tmcclelland455 said:

Congratulations! You aren't a complete dumbass who downloads every file you see on the internet!

Don't forget how Windows 7 takes forever just to to check for, download, and finally install updates (even after the method that actually un-breaks updates). Longest I've had to wait for Windows 10 is easily 20% of what it took for Windows 7.

Yeah W7 needs to plow through almost 10 years of updates while W10 will never need to go more than 2 years worth of updates.

Also there's a hotfix that fixes the check for update issue... Or use WSUS, no need to actually download them multiple times.

Download once, put them available via a SMB share or just whack them on a USB drive or whatever and off you go.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

4 hours ago, Hiitchy said:

I'd have kept Windows XP if I had the chance to. 

My parents are still using XP on their 9-year-old laptop. :o They just recently bought a new battery, laptop keyboard, and 500GB 850 Evo for it.  We cloned from the 500GB WD Black to the 850 Evo and the transition was seamless.

Interestingly, one the "L" key on the new keyboard quit working, so they are using my Logitech K200 from my desktop.  (I picked up an MK270 at WalMart this past weekend for myself.  I rejected the G613 because it wasn't available locally, was way over budget, and if I'm dropping that kind of dough, I require backlit keys.)

4 hours ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Windows 7 has wasted more of my time with updates than 10 ever has or will.  With 7, once they're done installing and it's ready for the reboot, it gives you that "remind me in 10 minutes / 1 hour / 4 hours" prompt continuously until you do, unless you're able to reboot right then and there.  With Windows 10, it automatically waits until you're not actively using it and reboots while you're away, or you can manually schedule it to run whenever it's most convenient, up to about a week away if necessary.  I've never had an issue with it and honestly I've found it to be much superior to previous implementations.

But, just because I'm away and not interacting with the system, doesn't mean I haven't left a bunch of apps & things running.  Yeah, I can save my documents, videos, photos, audio projects, etc, and can save my Chrome session, but I can't save undo history, arrangements of open windows, multilogin (Chrome extension) sessions, accumulated twitch chat (or preserve open/active net connections), and quite a few other things.

4 hours ago, Hiitchy said:

Same. It was nice turning my PC on today and being immediately able to do what I wanted to do. It's great being a Windows 10 user and knowing that Microsoft offers updates for Windows 10 that are intended to keep the end user safe while using their operating system with the ability to postpone updating the operating system while power tasks such as gaming are being done.

Id like to be able to resume my session exactly as it was after a restart, at least.

Better yet, I'd prefer to not have to restart any more often than a Linux server has to restart.  (I'm thinking ones with uptime measured in years or decades.)

For now, on Win 10 Pro, I have gpedit.msc set to notify me when updates are available, but don't automatically download.  Yes I still get the annoying popups several times a week, but it prevents the system from force-restarting when I'm not ready.

Also I prefer having long upgrade cycles.  I went from Windows XP to basically Windows 10 (with 7 as a several-month stop-gap cause 10 wasn't yet out & I didn't want to beta test an OS on my primary system), and from Athlon 64 X2 to Devil's Canyon.  (My laptop has Skylake.)  On CPU, I'm skipping AM4, TR4, and all Intel through Tiger Lake and possibly Sapphire Rapid.

3 minutes ago, PianoPlayer88Key said:

But, just because I'm away and not interacting with the system, doesn't mean I haven't left a bunch of apps & things running.  Yeah, I can save my documents, videos, photos, audio projects, etc, and can save my Chrome session, but I can't save undo history, arrangements of open windows, multilogin (Chrome extension) sessions, accumulated twitch chat (or preserve open/active net connections), and quite a few other things.

I was simplifying that for the sake of succinctness, but don't worry, it's even smarter than I made it sound.

In addition to it not rebooting while your'e actively using it, even when left alone it will try to detect when an application is open that it should not interrupt.  Additionally, you can set "active hours" during which it will never bother you or reboot.  These need only be set once, and will repeat automatically every day and can be up to 18 out of 24 hours per day.  Beyond that, if you are going to be away for a while or are in the middle of something important and unusual, you can outright disable updates for up to a month.  Furthermore, even failing all that, when it does schedule a reboot, it (in my experience) will do so for a time during the night, so if you've just stepped out for a coffee break during the day, you are not likely to return to it having rebooted.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

The only game that somewhat stuttered on my system is Forza Horizon 3, and even then it’s not as bad as launch.

Odd

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

23 minutes ago, PianoPlayer88Key said:

My parents are still using XP on their 9-year-old laptop. :o

Nothing necessarily wrong with that, assuming someone edits the registry to give it security patches until 2019 ;)

As for Win7 vs Win10: the way things are going, Win7 is still going to have the largest marketshare when it reaches EoL so I'm curious if they will actually pull the plug on it in January 2020. 

Both versions have their pros and cons.  For me, the choice is a no-brainer.  Win10 is a complete mess (as this stutter issue once again shows) and Win7 is pretty much bulletproof.  I'm sticking with Win7 on my main PC until 2020, then it'll join the rest of my household which has completely moved over to Linux already.

4 minutes ago, Captain Chaos said:

As for Win7 vs Win10: the way things are going, Win7 is still going to have the largest marketshare when it reaches EoL so I'm curious if they will actually pull the plug on it in January 2020. 

There are obvious business reasons to be tough about it and stick to your ground, despite the popularity, but they've shown themselves to be soft before, extending end dates and even making special cases in order to roll an update out to popular platforms (a patch for wannacry was sent to XP) so who knows.  You're right, it will be interesting to see what happens.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

41 minutes ago, samcool55 said:

pdates aren't bad, new builds however are.

They usually consist of a bunch of bloatware and features i'll never use. More =/= better, especially when it comes down to an OS. Linux proves this point very well.

I honestly have issues calling the new builds updates because stuff rarely gets better with them.

Exactly how I feel about Android. However, reason I can accept Windows and OSX having yearly updates is that it is EXTREMELY easy to roll back.

20 minutes ago, Sierra Fox said:

....man, people really love to bash Windows 10 don't they?

They like to bash Windows 10 more than I like to bash 99.999% of what Google's been doing the past few years.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

49 minutes ago, S.Stephenson said:

Anyone still going on about Windows 7 is superior are just unadaptable people stuck in their ways who don't like it just because it's different.

I guess you figured that out with your psychic keyboard psychologist powers?

I could make broad claims like that about the underlying motivations of people who, say, buy SSDs, or think that Unreal was better than Quake. Or, for example, about people who choose to discuss the other (unbeknownst to them) participants in a discussion instead of the topic. And, if it wasn't for your psychic powers, it would have exactly the same validity...

49 minutes ago, S.Stephenson said:

I have upgraded to the latest OS every time went from 7 to 8 almost as soon as it was realeased, do you know why I did that?

Its because tech moves forward and it doesn't wait for anyone, also it was better in every way when you actually figure out the new stuff.

Such depth. Much logic. Wow.

Windows 10 has DX12.

Windows 7 doesn't have DX12.

How many new games support DX9?

Enjoy having to pay for Windows 10 when DX11 support is dropped I'm sure you'll never regret not adapting to the OS over time instead of been thrown into the deep end.

Windows 7 is a dead OS its at the end of its life, this is just a remergance of what happened with Windows XP people decrying how terrible the newer OS just because they've gotten used to the old one.

Any idea which games? All of them run exceptionally well right now except Skyrim SE which runs exceptionally well 90% of the time but then it stutters. 

-------

Current Rig

-------

3 minutes ago, S.Stephenson said:

How many new games support DX9?

How many support DX12 past just using DX11 in a DX12 wrapper?

4 minutes ago, S.Stephenson said:

Windows 7 is a dead OS its at the end of its life

It's not dead yet. For many people, there isn't enough reason to move to Windows 10. Sure, it's newer, has a few more features, and performs better on certain hardware sets. But features only matter to a few people, and those performance improvements mean nothing to people with a half way decent machine.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

3 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

How many support DX12 past just using DX11 in a DX12 wrapper?

It's not dead yet. For many people, there isn't enough reason to move to Windows 10. Sure, it's newer, has a few more features, and performs better on certain hardware sets. But features only matter to a few people, and those performance improvements mean nothing to people with a half way decent machine.

What are the reasons to not upgrade to something that you will be forced to use in future?

The tracking you can disable?

The only valid reason to not upgrade is because you have some crucial software that doesn't work on Windows 10.

Every other reason boils down to 'I'm used to this one and it does what I need it to' the thing that get me is the shortsighedness because as soon as a new CPU is needed Windows 7 won't work, as soon as DX12 is widespread as DX11 is now then Windows 7 won't play the latest games.

5 hours ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

really?  Updates are a bad thing are they? lol

Bad when it breaks stuff to the point it hangs cores up to 100%.  I am not joking.  I think we replace one laptop a day now with the BSODs or one going black screen for no reason out here.  Or, the fun one, it crashes to the point the OS can't recovery itself (so far that occur on around 8-10 laptops).

So far what I seen out here with dealing with Windows 10 Enterprise:

BSOD

Black Screens, no response at all.  Full re-image required.

Freezes when file explorer opens.

Windows search bar not working.  (Just saw that one today)

IE freezes (Yeah, it is a requirement on our images)

I have W10 only on my lappy, which I am glad only on that machine (which I had to fix three times now because of issues with the OS).

2023 BOINC Pentathlon Event

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad Air 5th Gen, Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU

2 minutes ago, S.Stephenson said:

What are the reasons to not upgrade to something that you will be forced to use in future?

Hardware conflicts with the OS. Software conflicts with the OS. Cost of the new OS. Utilities/softwares found only in the old OS.

5 minutes ago, S.Stephenson said:

Every other reason boils down to 'I'm used to this one and it does what I need it to' the thing that get me is the shortsighedness because as soon as a new CPU is needed Windows 7 won't work

Kaby and Coffee lack proper drivers, but Windows 7 will run on both without much issue (certainly not enough to be a problem for most users). AMD just announced the official driver stack for Ryzen/TR/EPYC for Windows 7. Also, there is little reason for anyone to want to upgrade to Kaby if they're on Haswell or newer, or Coffee if on Haswell-E or newer.

7 minutes ago, S.Stephenson said:

as soon as DX12 is widespread as DX11 is now then Windows 7 won't play the latest games.

Sure, until a modder ports DX12 to Windows 7,assuming DX12 is successful like 9 and 11, and not a flop like 10. But every modern game engine that supports DX12 also supports Vulkan, which runs on Windows 7, and isn't overly hard to get working.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

1 hour ago, MoonSpot said:

Speaking of which... @Pohernori has there been any word on Win10 DX9 4GB limit fix?  Oldrim is waiting.

Already available for users with insider build months ago. 

The fix should be coming very soon i suppose

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case