Microsoft acknolwedges game stuttering in Win10, might release fix

NumLock21
31 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

And I did that, but A) it didn't always exist. B) It doesn't always work. And C) I shouldn't have to remember to re-enable that every month, just so my computer doesn't restart while I'm fucking doing something. 

C is a big one.  Regardless of the other ways you might be able to prevent that, in this specific case, you shouldn't have to.  This is clearly one of those bugs I mentioned where it fails to detect it's in use :P 

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

33 minutes ago, S.Stephenson said:

If it's too much of a hassle to remember to update your PC once a month then I'd suggest not using one until an advanced AI that does all that for you is invented.

Would you rather update a computer once a month ~5mins or have some randomer encrypt all the storage on your home network and demand 30BTC?

When you find yourself working for the computer something is wrong. That's just the definition of bad programming. 

Y'know, I haven't updated my Mac in months....and look at that, my drive isn't encrypted. I have a ton of shit open at any given time and having to close things isn't always a viable option. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

21 hours ago, S.Stephenson said:

As I stated those are the only valid reasons, the cost was free at one point but alas reluctance can cost I suppose.

Do you have any of these hardware or software conflicts, what stopped you from taking on free Windows 10?

It never was free, you paid for the key you upgraded from.  Some paid for that a long time ago, others just a couple of months. 

As for software conflicts: I use Paintshop Pro Photo X2 quite a lot for work.  Whenever I quit the program (either by using ctrl-q, the file menu or the button in the top right corner), the program window closes but the process keeps running in the background. 

If I want to open Paintshop again afterwards, I need to go into task manager to manually kill the process first.  This behaviour only happens on 8.1 and 10, not on 7. 

Sure, PSP X2 is 10 years old now, but it has always worked just fine. 

Sure, I could get the latest version, but I don't like to spend $60 whenever MS decides to f**k things up for us with the next kernel change.

15 hours ago, Cookybiscuit said:

1. No you can't disable Windows 10's spyware.

2. No you can't disable your 'bug fixes and improvements'.

It was nice turning my PC on today and being immediately able to do what I wanted to do. Must be horrible being a Windows 10 user and not knowing when Microsoft is going to waste 10-15 minutes of your time running updates.

Windows 7 forced updates a few times on me over the years, it usually had an option to postpone but sometimes it just didnt. Anyway I bought a windows 7 ultimate key super cheap from my cousin and upgraded to windows 10 pro. I dont have ads and I sure as shit dont have forced windows updates.

PS: You can upgrade your windows 10 version to pro, even if you didnt do it when it was free, you do have to fork money for it tho.

12 hours ago, sof006 said:

Actually the vast majority of companies don't know your password

Gosh you guys love to say people are wrong when you perfectly know it's a joke...

I'm not stupid, I know none of them store any password. I know what hashes are etc. Just chill when people make jokes.

16 hours ago, ARikozuM said:

I'll call it "superior" when it doesn't give me issues running Nvidia Surround/borderless 5760x1080 with a touchscreen monitor on top. 

Reveal hidden contents

Soon to be two touchscreens, cuz why not.

Nvidia surround is just broken in general m8... 

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

10 hours ago, NumLock21 said:

Speaking of Plex, one of the comments in that articles says the Spring Creators Update also mess that up. The fix will be arrive in the next OS release update.

How could Windows 10 possibly dick up Plex? Obviously doesn't impact me, but I'm seriously wondering how they dicked it up.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

19 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

That's your problem right there. Most people don't leave a PC on overnight to do stuff.

That's not his problem: that's his use case. His problem is having undesired installs and restarts while his work is running.

11 hours ago, RagnarokDel said:

Windows 7 forced updates a few times on me over the years, it usually had an option to postpone but sometimes it just didnt.

Windows 7 has the option to turn them fully off. No "postpone for a max of X days" bullshit, off, period. With red font warnings and all, but available. It also has the less extreme option of "notify me of available updates, but let me choose when to install them", and finally the option to automatically download, but wait for user input after notification to install. You had to go to literally the only option that could cause problems, a.k.a., fully automated installs, to have such a problem. Which, I agree, could even be avoided with a better behavior of the automatic process. But there were three other options, all of which would avoid the forced install/restart completely, forever.

I don't know how this news topic could trigger a generic continuation of "win 7 vs win 10" debates. Oddly enough, it would seem that Win 7 - Win 10 should be considered at the level of AMD vs Nvidia / AMD vs Intel :P 

24 minutes ago, tmcclelland455 said:

How could Windows 10 possibly dick up Plex? Obviously doesn't impact me, but I'm seriously wondering how they dicked it up.

Don't know. :D

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

18 hours ago, Cookybiscuit said:

I'll cry about Windows 7's lack of security once I'm hit with some nice ransomeware, but so far that hasn't happened.

antivirus/ransomware protection is like car insurance, you hope you never need it but when you do it makes a difference

Main Rig | Personal Build | Windows 10 | R7 2700x 3.7~4.3ghz | ASUS ROG Strix B450-I | 16gb DDR4 3200mhz | GTX 1080 FE | Coolermaster Elite 130 | Corsair H60 | WD Blue SN500 500GB NVMe SSD + 1tb WD Green HDD + 1tb WD Blue HDD

Laptop | HP m6-w102dx | Windows 10 | i7-5500u 2.4~3.0ghz | 8gb DDR3L | GT 930m 2gb| 120gb Sandisk SSD

Phone | Pixel 3 | Verizon | 64gb

30 minutes ago, tmcclelland455 said:

i use plex on windows 10 and have never had a probelm. 

Main Rig | Personal Build | Windows 10 | R7 2700x 3.7~4.3ghz | ASUS ROG Strix B450-I | 16gb DDR4 3200mhz | GTX 1080 FE | Coolermaster Elite 130 | Corsair H60 | WD Blue SN500 500GB NVMe SSD + 1tb WD Green HDD + 1tb WD Blue HDD

Laptop | HP m6-w102dx | Windows 10 | i7-5500u 2.4~3.0ghz | 8gb DDR3L | GT 930m 2gb| 120gb Sandisk SSD

2 hours ago, SlipperyPete said:

antivirus/ransomware protection is like car insurance, you hope you never need it but when you do it makes a difference

I didn't know Windows 10 came together with a ransomware insurance policy.

Speaking of "software as a service" :P 

Had no problems, good they're working on fix though. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

4 minutes ago, Doobeedoo said:

Had no problems, good they're working on fix though. 

Welcome to the 87%ers*

*Might not be 87%of the Win10 populace

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

1 hour ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

I didn't know Windows 10 came together with a ransomware insurance policy.

Speaking of "software as a service" :P 

now you are purposely misusing what i said. i said :

3 hours ago, SlipperyPete said:

antivirus/ransomware protection is like car insurance

i did not say anything about ransomware insurance.

also my point (which i will reiterate for you):

3 hours ago, SlipperyPete said:

my point was about preventative measures being worth it in some situations, this (IMO) being one of them

On 11/09/2017 at 1:00 PM, Drak3 said:

Except nothing Microsoft collects through telemetry is worth anything. Only Bing searches and MS Store purchases, and even then, MS hasn't done anything to indicate that they just sell it to any bidder or that the data can be used to ID anyone past a user profile that we can manipulate to mislead the eyes of others, and rather easily.

Windows 10 is not, was not, and will never, be spyware. Not unless you broaden the definition to include OSX, Android, and Linux distrobutions like Ubuntu.

That is False in four respects:

1) Everything that Microsoft collects is worth something (if it wasn't, Microsoft wouldn't collect it)

2) Microsoft has explained that they sell collected data (which is why collecting data is Microsoft's new business model, and why they are so aggressive with it)

3) All data collected is associated with a unique system ID to identify its location, system, and user origin

4) Windows 10 does spy on people, and was designed to do so since its inception

It was explained in an early Windows 10 interview that all collected data in Windows 10 is associated with a unique anonymous system ID - meaning, that rather than all collected data being immediately tied to your personal name, it instead is tied to 2281940582 or something like that. But that unique "anonymous" ID refers to your specific PC system, your specific IP address, the Microsoft account that was logged in at the time of the data's generation, etc, and can always be immediately traced to the specific person who created the data associated with that unique system ID. It is no more anonymous than your posts on the LTT forum which don't show your personal name, either, but which instead show an account titled Drak3 - which itself immediately identifies you, your IP, and your location to LTT.

So, calling Microsoft's data-collection anonymous is just PR, and nothing more. There is no such thing as anonymous data.

https://boingboing.net/2014/07/09/big-data-should-not-be-a-faith.html

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2017/aug/01/data-browsing-habits-brokers

And it would have been useless for Microsoft to volunteer people's user data to the USA government if that data hadn't been associated with specific accounts. Which brings me to the next point - that Microsoft is spying on people with Windows 10, and with their other services.

http://www.itproportal.com/2014/05/14/microsoft-openly-offered-cloud-data-fbi-and-nsa/

https://www.forbes.com/sites/petercohan/2013/06/20/project-chess-how-u-s-snoops-on-your-skype/#b049b02484e0

https://www.wired.com/2014/03/microsoft_vigilante/

https://edri.org/microsofts-new-small-print-how-your-personal-data-abused/

https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2015/08/even-when-told-not-to-windows-10-just-cant-stop-talking-to-microsoft/

Monitoring others secretively, or discretely, especially (though not essentially) against the will of those being monitored, is spying. Spying doesn't become not-spying just because somebody might have or want to have fuzzy feelings about a particular thuggish corporation that has an extensive history of dishonesty, subterfuge, and imposed unilateral actions upon users in contravention of policies, laws, and ethics.

Regarding Microsoft selling people's data that they collect:

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/netro/2015/09/09/windows-7-windows-8-and-windows-10-telemetry-updates-diagnostic-tracking/

Only those who can demonstrate a valid business need can access the telemetry info.

The Microsoft Data Management Service routes information to internal cloud storage, where it's compiled into business reports for analysis and research.

However, we do share business reports with partners that include aggregated, anonymous telemetry information.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/configuration/configure-windows-telemetry-in-your-organization

Microsoft may share business reports with OEMs and third party partners

From Microsoft's "privacy statement":

Microsoft partners with third-party ad companies to help provide some of our advertising services, and we also allow other third-party ad companies to display advertisements on our sites. These third parties may place cookies on your computer and collect data about your online activities across websites or online services.

We may also disclose personal data as part of a corporate transaction such as a merger or sale of assets.

The data Microsoft collects are assets, and so "a sale of assets" for the sake of a corporate transactions also means the sale of collected data.

Also, Microsoft's reported earnings can be looked through to make a general guess at how much Microsoft is making by selling user data. The fact that Microsoft's yearly revenue is down, yet their net income is up, despite 1 - 2 years of free Windows license give-aways is a big indicator that the selling of user data is making Microsoft a ton of money.

https://www.microsoft.com/investor/reports/ar16/index.html

59b845f1a3dbe_Microsoftearnings17.JPG.b3e8a188eb16a77254eeb92a097f3978.JPG

Lastly, people shouldn't just believe a company's PR about how they handle privacy. That's the same thing as just believing a criminal who has a lot of evidence against piled them that they didn't commit the crime they're accused of, and not questioning things further. Microsoft's Privacy Statement, like Facebook's PR, grossly downplays the actual inner conduct of the business, and is meant to assuage and allay not only by explanation, but also through connivance, re-framing, and misdirection.

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2017/may/02/facebook-executive-advertising-data-comment

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

23 hours ago, hammer3339 said:

i've played alot of early 2000s and late 90s games in Win 10 and surprisingly am yet to have any issues running games that were written for xp and up.

Same here, for the most part.  I've run into a handful of games that won't play well in 10, but most work just fine.  Of course, I also install all my games to another drive, which eliminates the permissions issues when installing under the Program Files directory.

21 hours ago, S.Stephenson said:

As I stated those are the only valid reasons, the cost was free at one point but alas reluctance can cost I suppose.

I have a feeling that a least a little of the hate for Windows 10 is because people regret not taking the free upgrade and resnt (sic) how they'd have to pay for it now.

19 hours ago, djdwosk97 said:

I would leave it encoding over night -- so it would go into inactive hours and then restart (in the middle of a several hour long encode). So, not only did I lose that encode and have to restart it, everything on the queue after it also got cancelled (sic). 

Have you considered disabling the Automatic Updates service?  Alternatively, set the 'Active Hours' to overnight, and have it prompt you during the day to install and reboot (if you're at the computer, you can tell it to wait before rebooting).  Also, if you have Pro/Ent/Edu, you can use GPEdit to change the updates method and disable automatic installs (and even disable automatic downloads).  You can even disable automatic restarts via GPEdit.

On ‎9‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 0:33 AM, NumLock21 said:

Microsoft has acknowledge that their Creator's Update build released in Spring has caused some games to stutter. They have released a preview build for Windows Insider fast ring users, to test it out and see if this beta build has fixed their game issues or not. They encourage those who are in the Windows Insider fast ring program, to give them feedback, so they can evaluate, and see if the fix needs to be included in their next update build or not.

http://wccftech.com/spring-creators-update-stuttering-games/

yeah i saw some screen tearing in team fortress 2...never happened before...still happens now but i doubt whether i should become an insider or not

On my system it stutters a lot when there is a Microsoft overlay. Like notifications, or even the volume slider when changing the volume. But that's avoidable easily.

29 minutes ago, laminutederire said:

On my system it stutters a lot when there is a Microsoft overlay. Like notifications, or even the volume slider when changing the volume. But that's avoidable easily.

It's interesting you should mention that.  I've noticed for a while now that when I use my wireless headset, my whole system briefly hangs (a second or less) while adjusting the volume or muting/unmuting the mic.  However, I don't use the overlay, and in fact have completely stripped as much of the XBox carp from my system as I could.  I wonder if this new update would resolve that issue for me.

34 minutes ago, Jito463 said:

It's interesting you should mention that.  I've noticed for a while now that when I use my wireless headset, my whole system briefly hangs (a second or less) while adjusting the volume or muting/unmuting the mic.  However, I don't use the overlay, and in fact have completely stripped as much of the XBox carp from my system as I could.  I wonder if this new update would resolve that issue for me.

It's not the Xbox overlay, but like the normal overlay you get on desktop. But yeah that's the same type of thing

let me guess the fix will be provided for Store UWP apps/games only, and the rest of the OS bugs and stutter will stay the same.