Microsoft acknolwedges game stuttering in Win10, might release fix

NumLock21

I should mention this.

I’m quite literally the only guy in the family with a Windows 10 PC

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

14 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Hardware conflicts with the OS. Software conflicts with the OS. Cost of the new OS. Utilities/softwares found only in the old OS.

Kaby and Coffee lack proper drivers, but Windows 7 will run on both without much issue (certainly not enough to be a problem for most users). AMD just announced the official driver stack for Ryzen/TR/EPYC for Windows 7. Also, there is little reason for anyone to want to upgrade to Kaby if they're on Haswell or newer, or Coffee if on Haswell-E or newer.

Sure, until a modder ports DX12 to Windows 7,assuming DX12 is successful like 9 and 11, and not a flop like 10. But every modern game engine that supports DX12 also supports Vulkan, which runs on Windows 7, and isn't overly hard to get working.

As I stated those are the only valid reasons, the cost was free at one point but alas reluctance can cost I suppose.

Do you have any of these hardware or software conflicts, what stopped you from taking on free Windows 10?

If you have to mod in DX12 then it's a desperate attempt to keep Win7 alive, and if DX12 is a flop then what happens when DX13 comes along.

it boils down to this.

Windows 7 will be obsolete within 5 years 

Windows 10 should in theory have support for as long as Microsoft keeps that particular promise.

I have a feeling that a least a little of the hate for Windows 10 is because people regret not taking the free upgrade and resnt how they'd have to pay for it now.

2 minutes ago, D13H4RD2L1V3 said:

I should mention this.

I’m quite literally the only guy in the family with a Windows 10 PC

I'm the only one with a Mac and a Linux PC, so don't feel bad.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

16 minutes ago, S.Stephenson said:

Do you have any of these hardware or software conflicts, what stopped you from taking on free Windows 10?

Chief, I have Windows 10. My main system is a dual boot between Win 7 and 10. My Surface Pro 4 runs Win 10.

My A10-6800K build has had conflict with Windows 10 due to hardware, but not Windows 8 or Ubuntu. My Acer laptop, which shipped with either 7 or 8.1, has issues with 10, but not 7, 8.1, or any Linux distro I've tested. My main system has a software conflict with GPU drivers under Windows 10 that doesn't exist under 7, which requires me to essentially DDU AMD GPU drivers for every single update, and update Nvidia's immediately prior, in only Windows 10. In 7, I just need to clean install AMD's drivers.

A10 build and the Acer, Windows 10 simply is not an option. On my main build, Windows 10 is an option due to the fact that GPU drivers aren't mission critical past having stable drivers.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

6 hours ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

That is very unwise.

Particularly from a fresh install, the first search(s) take literally hours, but in normal use I haven't noticed a big difference.

On my W7 machines it seems like I hardly ever get patches anymore.

5 hours ago, NumLock21 said:

Longest I waited was 3 days for Windows 7 to finally start downloading updates. There were some patches and fixes, which did fix it temporary, but those fix didn't last long.

Longest I waited without the 4 patch fix was two weeks, and then I gave up and installed Vista which worked fine (not on my current machine obviously).

2 hours ago, samcool55 said:

Yeah W7 needs to plow through almost 10 years of updates while W10 will never need to go more than 2 years worth of updates.

Also there's a hotfix that fixes the check for update issue... Or use WSUS, no need to actually download them multiple times.

Download once, put them available via a SMB share or just whack them on a USB drive or whatever and off you go.

Yeah I'm aware of that but in my experience even Vista demolishes it in terms of how long it actually takes to find and install the updates.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

1 minute ago, tmcclelland455 said:

Longest I waited without the 4 patch fix was two weeks, and then I gave up and installed Vista which worked fine (not on my current machine obviously).

Mastering the art of patience is a rare feat.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

7 hours ago, Cookybiscuit said:

Meanwhile the superior operating system (Windows 7) has no such issues.

If Windows 7 had this sort of issue after all this time then I'd be shocked.

Windows 7 is older. Windows 10 is newer.

6 hours ago, Drak3 said:

Hard to disable something that isn't actually there.

It's not spyware. This has been said a million times already.

Tellemetry Data to improve the experience of Developers and Microsoft. If you don't like it then you can turn off most of it.

7 hours ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Windows 7 has wasted more of my time with updates than 10 ever has or will.  With 7, once they're done installing and it's ready for the reboot, it gives you that "remind me in 10 minutes / 1 hour / 4 hours" prompt continuously until you do, unless you're able to reboot right then and there.  With Windows 10, it automatically waits until you're not actively using it and reboots while you're away, or you can manually schedule it to run whenever it's most convenient, up to about a week away if necessary.  I've never had an issue with it and honestly I've found it to be much superior to previous implementations.

^^^

Windows 7 Updating was slow and bad.

It tried to install numerous updates at once and was just inefficient.

7 hours ago, revsilverspine said:

I've been using Windows 10 since launch and the only "advertisement" I've ever seen was the "get office" once, which is actually an app that sends you to the Buy Office page.

Compatibility? Everything runs just fine, even Fallout 3 and Fallout New Vegas, which absolutely refuse to even start on Win7. "spyware"? Can be turned off. Constant updates?

The only time "constant updates" is valid is on the day somebody is installing it.

7 hours ago, revsilverspine said:

Who needs those?

It's not just bug fixes. Those sometimes also contain security fixes.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

1 hour ago, S.Stephenson said:

As I stated those are the only valid reasons, the cost was free at one point but alas reluctance can cost I suppose.

If you have to mod in DX12 then it's a desperate attempt to keep Win7 alive, and if DX12 is a flop then what happens when DX13 comes along.

it boils down to this.

Windows 10 should in theory have support for as long as Microsoft keeps that particular promise.

I have a feeling that a least a little of the hate for Windows 10 is because people regret not taking the free upgrade and resnt how they'd have to pay for it now.

It's currently still free. I have confirmed as recently as last week that you can still upgrade from 7 to 10 for free thru the same avenue as before

Just now, AluminiumTech said:

It's not spyware. This has been said a million times already.

Tellemetry Data to improve the experience of Developers and Microsoft. If you don't like it then you can turn off most of it.

Chief, I'm one of the few people that have been saying that.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

19 minutes ago, tmcclelland455 said:

On my W7 machines it seems like I hardly ever get patches anymore.

That's because you should only be receiving critical security updates.

If there's no critical issues in WIndows 7 then you won't receive updates. Same for Windows 8.1 .

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

7 hours ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Windows 7 has wasted more of my time with updates than 10 ever has or will.  With 7, once they're done installing and it's ready for the reboot, it gives you that "remind me in 10 minutes / 1 hour / 4 hours" prompt continuously until you do, unless you're able to reboot right then and there.  With Windows 10, it automatically waits until you're not actively using it and reboots while you're away, or you can manually schedule it to run whenever it's most convenient, up to about a week away if necessary.  I've never had an issue with it and honestly I've found it to be much superior to previous implementations.

I wish I could say that was the case for me.....up until a couple months ago I would be encoding something with my CPU pinned at 100% and Windows 10 decides that's the time to restart. Then a couple months ago they made it so you could postpone an update up to a month -- and not solved that issue, but still W10 used to be a complete mess with that. I've also found that W10 update will occasionally pin my SP3's CPU and cause a nice 10 second+ delay for the entire 5-20 minutes it takes to download all the updates. 

Still, being able to defer updates/restarts -- even by a month -- isn't enough for me on my laptop where I do most of my work. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

The only software I've had issues with is badly written software.

Source Engine games and DX9 based games. I only play 2 games which use DX9 (one of them is a source engine game) and one of them is getting a DX11 or Vulkan Upgrade soon ish.

it boils down to this.

Actually, it's less than 3.

Yeah. Although having 2 updates per year is a little excessive I think. Maybe 1 Major update per year could be fine with each update being bigger and more meaningful.

^^^

1 minute ago, djdwosk97 said:

I wish I could say that was the case for me.....up until a couple months ago I would be encoding something with my CPU pinned at 100% and Windows 10 decides that's the time to restart. Then a couple months ago they made it so you could postpone an update up to a month -- and not solved that issue, but still W10 used to be a complete mess with that. I've also found that W10 update will occasionally pin my SP3's CPU and cause a nice 10 second+ delay for the entire 5-20 minutes it takes to download all the updates. 

Try setting active hours. If you did then it wouldn't restart if you're busy.

1 minute ago, djdwosk97 said:

Still, being able o defer updates/restarts -- even by a month -- isn't enough for me on my laptop where I do most of my work. 

How?

That's already too much imho.

2 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

Still, being able to defer updates/restarts -- even by a month -- isn't enough for me on my laptop where I do most of my work. 

I try to tell my story when I can because it's important to hear all sides, but I know I'm in the minority.  You don't have to look far to find people complaining about it updating when they least expected, or when they didn't want, and while I believe some of that is due to user incompetence and not taking advantage of the controls they offer, some of it is also due to bugs in Windows.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

2 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

Try setting active hours. If you did then it wouldn't restart if you're busy.

How?

I would leave it encoding over night -- so it would go into inactive hours and then restart (in the middle of a several hour long encode). So, not only did I lose that encode and have to restart it, everything on the queue after it also got cancelled. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Just now, djdwosk97 said:

I would leave it encoding over night -- so it would go into inactive hours and then restart (in the middle of a several hour long encode).

That's your problem right there. Most people don't leave a PC on overnight to do stuff.

Just now, djdwosk97 said:

So, not only did I lose that encode and have to restart it, everything on the queue after it also got cancelled. 

Sounds like bad time management.

That's your problem right there. Most people don't leave a PC on overnight to do stuff.

I'm sorry, but I should be able to leave my computer running overnight to do work. That shouldn't be a thing where I can't do it because Windows decides it wants to update. 

Sounds like bad time management.

How is it bad time management to let my computer run when I'm not there to interfere/need the power for something else? 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

1 minute ago, AluminiumTech said:

Perhaps, but it's also a perfectly valid use case that, while not in the majority, is still incredibly common

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

33 minutes ago, NumLock21 said:

Mastering the art of patience is a rare feat.

Yeah I'm not going to wait more than I have to just to get my PC back to my grubby little paws.

15 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

That's because you should only be receiving critical security updates.

If there's no critical issues in WIndows 7 then you won't receive updates. Same for Windows 8.1 .

My Plex server hasn't gotten a single update (running W7 Ultimate N SP1 64-bit) since I set it up last November. No matter how much I fiddlefuck with it, nothing happens.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

1 minute ago, tmcclelland455 said:

Yeah I'm not going to wait more than I have to just to get my PC back to my grubby little paws.

My Plex server hasn't gotten a single update (running W7 Ultimate N SP1 64-bit) since I set it up last November. No matter how much I fiddlefuck with it, nothing happens.

Speaking of Plex, one of the comments in that articles says the Spring Creators Update also mess that up. The fix will be arrive in the next OS release update.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

3 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

ow is it bad time management to let my computer run when I'm not there to interfere/need the power for something else? 

Pushing off updates until the last minute.

And every single person I've heard bitch about Windows 10 updates always does that.

Whereas I, on the other hand, install every big security update and bug fix as they roll out if I have nothing important happening, or schedule them to install as soon as I'm done. I've only ever had unexpected updates occur on my Pro 4, and only because it can go weeks at a time without use.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

49 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

I would leave it encoding over night -- so it would go into inactive hours and then restart (in the middle of a several hour long encode). So, not only did I lose that encode and have to restart it, everything on the queue after it also got cancelled. 

How about you pause updates then it wont do that its not rocket science....

You can defer the non security updates by 365 days

The pause option effectively makes your PC update once a month whats so terrible about that.

Updates.PNG

1 minute ago, S.Stephenson said:

How about you pause updates then it wont do that its not rocket science....

You can defer the non security updates by 365 days

Updates.PNG

And I did that, but A) it didn't always exist. B) It doesn't always work. And C) I shouldn't have to remember to re-enable that every month, just so my computer doesn't restart while I'm fucking doing something. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

3 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

And I did that, but A) it didn't always exist. B) It doesn't always work. And C) I shouldn't have to remember to re-enable that every month, just so my computer doesn't restart while I'm fucking doing something. 

If it's too much of a hassle to remember to update your PC once a month then I'd suggest not using one until an advanced AI that does all that for you is invented.

Would you rather update a computer once a month ~5mins or have some randomer encrypt all the storage on your home network and demand 30BTC?

when you literally just realize that you've been using game mode all along...

I seriously could not figure out why battlefield stuttered so much

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler