StrangeParts creates Internal iPhone 7 Headphone Jack Mod - despite Apples claims

goodtofufriday

Apple claimed pretty vehemently that there simply was not enough space to include a full 3.5mm sized headphone jack in the iPhone 7. 

Well thanks to Scott at StrangeParts thats been assuredly disproven. If a guy with some hacks and know how can do it, then certainly Apple could have engineered it. As was thought, it was just a ploy to get licensing royalties for the lightening connector.

The nitty gritty

I’m pretty proud of the final implementation. I took apart an Apple lightning to headphone adapter, put that inside the phone, and hooked it up by man in the middling the lightning jack with a flexible PCB. The PCB has a switching chip that switches between connecting the headphone adapter to the phone by default, and then disconnecting it and connecting the lightning jack when something is plugged into it. I have a couple other timer chips that briefly disconnect everything from the phone when something is connected/disconnected to improve the reliability of the phone detecting when something is plugged/unplugged (otherwise it sometimes gets confused).

The final flexible PCB uses 5 mil/5mil traces and 0.5mm pitch BGAs. Which is pretty darn tiny. I managed to hand solder these under the microscope, and it turned out to be much easier than I expected, despite being my first time really doing any surface mount design or soldering. If surface mount scares you, buy a microscope! It’s a total game changer.

You can get the kicad files and gerbers here: github.com/strangeparts/niubi-headphones

This design is open source under an MIT license, and you’re very welcome to modify and improve on this design, and even manufacture it yourself. If you do, I’d love to hear about it.

This isn’t just about a headphone jack though – I think this design can be adapted to put other lightning based adapters inside an iPhone, while still allowing the lightning jack to function. It’s mostly just a matter of finding room inside the phone!

Source: http://strangeparts.com/bringing-back-the-iphone-headphone-jack-in-china/

Skip to 30:00 if you just want to see it working.

uz6H23Z.png

CPU: Amd 7800X3D | GPU: AMD 7900XTX

If one guy on the Internet can do it, Apple is more than capable of doing so -_-

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

Is this the same guy that "wowed" everyone by making an iphone with scrap parts in china or something? Or was that a different guy

That's darn impressive.

It would be interesting to see the amount of money Apple makes via these royalties.

7 minutes ago, goodtofufriday said:

Apple claimed pretty vehemently that there simply was not enough space to include a full 3.5mm sized headphone jack in the iPhone 7.

i called BS on that claim the first time i heard it and i am not surprised to see it debunked.

if apple had WANTED a headphone jack in there, they would have put one in. but noooooooo, they just needed an excuse to push sales on their overpriced lightning accessoires. 

11 minutes ago, goodtofufriday said:

Apple could have engineered it.

it's apple we are talking about, even if they can they won't because of the profits they make licensing the lightning port, did anyone actually believe their bullshit excuses about courage and not having enough space? 

1 minute ago, nerdslayer1 said:

did anyone actually believe their bullshit excuses about courage and not having enough space? 

i did not. 

12 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

If one guy on the Internet can do it, Apple is more than capable of doing so -_-

Yeah I don't think there's any doubt or question at this point that they did it for other reasons, not because they simply couldn't.  I wonder if it has anything to do with the fact they own a company that makes bluetooth headphones?  Nah...

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Just now, Ryan_Vickers said:

Yeah I don't think there's any doubt or question at this point that they did it for other reasons, not because they simply couldn't.  I wonder if it has anything to do with the fact they own a company that makes bluetooth headphones?  Nah...

Apple wants a wireless future, this is why they removed the headphone jack. /s

This is another BS excuse, if they wanted a wireless future, the iPhone would support wireless charging. 

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

1 minute ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

iPhone would support wireless charging. 

that's for the i phone 8, apple usually withholds feature for their next revision. 

I watched this yesterday and have been subscribed to the channel after watching the first video in which he was able to create his own iphone in China! I've always been interested in the technology in the east such as the busy markets in china where there are hundreds if not thousands of parts available to buy and Japan. It was a very informative video and i look forward to videos to come.

2 minutes ago, nerdslayer1 said:

that's for the i phone 8, apple usually withholds feature for their next revision. 

Better late than never, I guess. The Galaxy S6 from 2015 had wireless charging :P

I don't think wireless charging is quite "there yet", if you know what i mean... It's like VR in my opinion It is quite popular and supported by a lot of people but it needs improvement.

If Apple claims that they want a "Wireless Future", their phones have to support wireless charging

Just now, nerdslayer1 said:

I don't think wireless charging is quite "there yet", if you know what i mean... It's like VR in my opinion It is quite popular and supported by a lot of people but it needs improvement.

5 minutes ago, ErykYT3 said:

I don't think wireless charging is quite "there yet",

you need more public support for that to happen, the best way is to have more phone with wireless charging to educate the average consumers. 

5 minutes ago, ErykYT3 said:

It's like VR in my opinion It is quite popular and supported by a lot of people but it needs improvement.

if VR was actually popular, yes we would have had better VR games, for now, the most popular VR devices are the ps4/ps4 pro or mobile VR like the gear/ cardboard. 

A lot of companies are doing away with the headphone jack, and leaks suggest that Google will follow suit with the pixel.

what about waterproofing? this hack definitely will make the phone not so. i am looking forward to see someone to make this hack waterproof as well.

but again. this guy deserves a round of applause. i would like to see what's apple's response when this video get a few million views.

1 minute ago, Devin92 said:

what about waterproofing? this hack definitely will make the phone not so. i am looking forward to see someone to make this hack waterproof as well.

but again. this guy deserves a round of applause. i would like to see what's apple's response when this video get a few million views.

The iPhone is not water proof, it's water resistant.

6 minutes ago, Sack said:

The iPhone is not water proof, it's water resistant.

okay. but still... this hack will break water resistant too.

26 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

Apple wants a wireless future, this is why they removed the headphone jack. /s

This is another BS excuse, if they wanted a wireless future, the iPhone would support wireless charging. 

Yeah, they definite'y don't want a wireless future, they can make a lot more money selling new cables and dongles and things.  Never said that was the motivation :P What they want is for people to buy other things from them, and this definitely accomplished that.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Just now, Ryan_Vickers said:

Yeah, they definite'y don't want a wireless future, they can make a lot more money selling new cables and dongles and things.  Never said that was the motivation :P What they want is for people to buy other things from them, and this definitely accomplished that.

This made me buy the SE instead lol. I hope they have a update coming for the SE.

15 minutes ago, nerdslayer1 said:

you need more public support for that to happen, the best way is to have more phone with wireless charging to educate the average consumers. 

if VR was actually popular, yes we would have had better VR games, for now, the most popular VR devices are the ps4/ps4 pro or mobile VR like the gear/ cardboard. 

VR IS popular, though this isn't reflected by sales since not everyone can afford it and say if you have a family in which 3 people like vr and use it, they will only have one vr headset. This isn't like the market of Phones where everyone has one, The price for the Oculus (as an example) is pretty high right now and not necessarily what some people my afford so i still believe that the popularity of the device/ technology is there but the product itself must improve.

921c78aed6348390119251969c0a1713.png

Lets not include the part about moving some of the internal components though. 

>Shaving the headphone jack case

So Apple was right. They could not get a full size, 3.5mm jack in the iPhone. 

But sure since we're here lets just rag away. "hur hur Apple is evil".

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III