StrangeParts creates Internal iPhone 7 Headphone Jack Mod - despite Apples claims

goodtofufriday
7 hours ago, DildorTheDecent said:

I will m8. 

>Implying i'm some sort of Apple fanboy

>read the sig m8

Also,

>the S8 is smaller

You're wrong, but ok. 

S8 vs iP7

Reveal hidden contents

92a6dcbfefdcbcdbaf315d3fb35e2a63.png

264904d2194e64d791f33add8d94ce69.png

"the S8 is smaller hue hue hue" Keep at it kiddo. 

>TIL a bigger, wider, fatter phone has all the bells and whistles.

Well of course it does my man. It has the space. 

The taptic engine produces small subtle vibration iirc. Too small and it would have been too weak i think, but then again i think it has various strength settings. It's not really a big deal having no audio jack. Lighting headphones are rather quite good.

Does mean that "pass the AUX cord" isn't a fun time in your mates car though :( 

He never implies you were an apple fan boy you're reading that yourself. And what about the size of the iPhone 7 plus?  Their own 6 series had 3.5mm ports. 

I agree about the taptic engine but having an aux cord is important for many people. A lot of people listen to music in their phones and that means buying new headphones or keeping track of an adapter. Also not being able to charge and listen to music is annoying at home and in the car. 

In the grand scheme of things people will get used to it but that doesn't mean that it was a good idea. 

Also with that last statement username does not check out. 

I really don't care for 3.5mm jack, would just keep extra wire dongle attached to earbuds cable anyway and no problem. Later on I'd probably have new ones with Type-C though. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

16 hours ago, Devin92 said:

what about waterproofing? this hack definitely will make the phone not so. i am looking forward to see someone to make this hack waterproof as well.

but again. this guy deserves a round of applause. i would like to see what's apple's response when this video get a few million views.

The Galaxy s8 is as waterproof as phones can be and it has one. Had apple built it themselves it could have been waterproof

Just in the other intel thread we were giving a free pass to intel engineers because "they know better" but whys that not happening here?

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

43 minutes ago, Pohernori said:

Just in the other intel thread we were giving a free pass to intel engineers because "they know better" but whys that not happening here?

It's quite simple, some guy on the internet managed to add a headphone jack to the iPhone 7, which proves that Apple could have done it, but they didn't want to. 

No one has successfully soldered a 7900X or a 7980XE, so, as of right now, soldering a 7900X or a 7980XE is impossible ;)

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

3 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

It's quite simple, some guy on the internet managed to add a headphone jack to the iPhone 7, which proves that Apple could have done it, but they didn't want to. 

No one has successfully soldered a 7900X or a 7980XE, so, as of right now, soldering a 7900X or a 7980XE is impossible ;)

If i had that kind of extra cash id buy s system for it just to prove it can be soldered lol

CPU: Amd 7800X3D | GPU: AMD 7900XTX

3 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

Yes yes we'll ignore that fact that countless other have soldered other intel cpus. And DIY Fixed kabylake's sealant issue. 

But I guess you know, I can't say much because I'm not an engineer working for intel.  

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

7 minutes ago, Pohernori said:

Yes yes we'll ignore that fact that countless other have soldered other intel cpus. And DIY Fixed kabylake's sealant issue. 

Other Intel CPUs =/= Skylake-X. And where's your source? AFAIK, der8auer soldered a 6700K, but the solder failed.

Yes, in theory, Skylake-X could have been soldered, but this hasn't been proven. If someone wants to spend $2000 on a 7980XE to solder it and he manages to do that successfully, we'll know that Intel could have soldered Skylake-X, but they didn't want to. ;)

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

10 hours ago, bobhays said:

He never implies you were an apple fan boy you're reading that yourself. And what about the size of the iPhone 7 plus?  Their own 6 series had 3.5mm ports. 

"keep telling yourself that" must think I'm some sort of fanboy in denial. 

7 plus and 6S plus are the same size. But 7 plus has the taptic engine which is quite large and also has a bigger battery. Maybe some other things meant the jack had to go.

Or maybe Apple is just testing the water. Some if the Lightning headphones are actually quite excellent like the Audeze EL-8. 

I agree about the taptic engine but having an aux cord is important for many people. A lot of people listen to music in their phones and that means buying new headphones or keeping track of an adapter. Also not being able to charge and listen to music is annoying at home and in the car. 

Bluetooth man. Just about every aftermarket head unit has Bluetooth. Every new car pretty much has Bluetooth as well. There's your charge and play sorted. Genius. 

In the grand scheme of things people will get used to it but that doesn't mean that it was a good idea. 

Also with that last statement username does not check out. 

Kek. Leddit/Imgur at it again. 

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

1 minute ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

Other Intel CPUs =/= Skylake-X. And where's your source? AFAIK, der8auer soldered a 6700K, but the solder failed.

Yes, in theory, Skylake-X could have been soldered, but this hasn't been proven. If someone wants to spend $2000 on a 7980XE to solder it and he manages to do that successfully, we'll know that Intel could have soldered Skylake-X, but they didn't want to. ;)

Idk? Maybe this ivy bridge solder by oh who? der8auer??

Also iphone 6 != iphone 7

Yes in theory we would have been able to get an iphone 7 with a headphone jack without compromises but lookie here

And where's that part about diy fixing kabylakes's thermal issues? I'm pretty sure I highlighted 2 issues. 

Sometimes I don't get how when I make snarky comments on AMD's issues, no one bothers but whenever it comes to Microsoft or intel or nvidia. Oh shit boi.

6 minutes ago, Pohernori said:

Idk? Maybe this ivy bridge solder by oh who? der8auer??

Also iphone 6 != iphone 7

Yes in theory we would have been able to get an iphone 7 with a headphone jack without compromises but lookie here

And where's that part about diy fixing kabylakes's thermal issues? I'm pretty sure I highlighted 2 issues. 

Sometimes I don't get how when I make snarky comments on AMD's issues, no one bothers but whenever it comes to Microsoft or intel or nvidia. Oh shit boi.

You really cannot compare different dies. Each is different enough that solder wont always work. 

But the saying its possible till provem impossible. 

And even that doesnt always  hold true. 

CPU: Amd 7800X3D | GPU: AMD 7900XTX

Just now, goodtofufriday said:

You really cannot compare different dies. Each is different enough that solder wont always work. 

But the saying its possible till provem impossible. 

And even that doesnt always  hold true. 

If you'd look back, I haven't explicitly made any claims that intel could definitely solder these chips. But rather questioning the fact that they're not soldering them. Everyone who questions just gets shots down with a "you think you know better than intel?" 

But here, just because we had one guy using complicated machinery to come out with a solution that ruins parts of your iphone we get "ha apple is shit" from the same people. 

I definitely didn't need to point this out lel. But i'm just here for fun  

55 minutes ago, Pohernori said:

If you'd look back, I haven't explicitly made any claims that intel could definitely solder these chips. But rather questioning the fact that they're not soldering them. Everyone who questions just gets shots down with a "you think you know better than intel?" 

But here, just because we had one guy using complicated machinery to come out with a solution that ruins parts of your iphone we get "ha apple is shit" from the same people. 

I definitely didn't need to point this out lel. But i'm just here for fun  

Welcome to LTT, where there is a massive bias against Apple. 

Hell, Apple was getting shit just for making it EASIER for people to donate to Hurricane Harvey victims. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

sooo how long until he gets a cease and desist notice from apple?

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

Just now, Sierra Fox said:

sooo how long until he gets a cease and desist notice from apple?

Well, the guy spends a lot of time in China when doing these things, so however long it takes for Corporate China to understand basic ethics and legalities.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

5 hours ago, Drak3 said:

Well, the guy spends a lot of time in China when doing these things, so however long it takes for Corporate China to understand basic ethics and legalities.

So never :)

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

On 9/8/2017 at 11:34 AM, Ryan_Vickers said:

Come on, this is one guy doing a DIY hack, you can't tell me that their team of master engineers couldn't figure it out if they wanted to?

Tbh, Apple doesn't have much reason to include a headphone jack. IPhone sales are unlikely to have been hindered, no need to engineer one in, and then there are potential licensing fees from selling accessories. Even from an engineering perspective, smaller thinner devices (iPod nano) have been able to include one. The headphone jack performs its role very well even today, but it doesn't benefit Apple at all to keep it.

For Android based phones, headphone jack removal would be a more difficult decision. Due to port standardization, the manufacturer stands to make nothing in licensing fees. The competition is also a lot more fierce where that missing jack can cause a potential buyer to pass on your device, unless there is some return (like the 4k mah battery in my phone).

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

2 minutes ago, Zodiark1593 said:

Tbh, Apple doesn't have much reason to include a headphone jack. IPhone sales are unlikely to have been hindered, no need to engineer one in, and then there are potential licensing fees from selling accessories. Even from an engineering perspective, smaller thinner devices (iPod nano) have been able to include one. The headphone jack performs its role very well even today, but it doesn't benefit Apple at all to keep it.

Exactly, they can get away with it. It's still an important part for most people. (and yeah, you can go wireless or use adapter but that's literally overcomplicating things when there was no reason whatsoever)

Let's not kid ourselves, they can get away with it, and it brings profit, so they will. The consumer and license fees pay in the end.

2 minutes ago, Zodiark1593 said:

For Android based phones, headphone jack removal would be a more difficult decision. Due to port standardization, the manufacturer stands to make nothing in licensing fees. The competition is also a lot more fierce where that missing jack can cause a potential buyer to pass on your device, unless there is some return (like the 4k mah battery in my phone).

So TL;DR they could have included one if they wanted but they chose not to for other reasons.  Which is exactly what I was saying in previous comments :P 

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

1 minute ago, Zodiark1593 said:

Even from an engineering perspective, smaller thinner devices (iPod nano) have been able to include one.

Would like to point out how the Nano, and Shuffle, might be smaller, but they're also significantly less complex devices that haven't seen a major update since the iPhone's transition into being one of Apple's two main consumer products.

It's like bitching about Dodge/RAM not using a double DIN radio in their next 3/4 ton truck if favor of a multitouch panel infotainment system, and claiming they could have fit in a double DIN because the significantly smaller Dakotas of yesteryears had them.

Ultimately, Apple doesn't have to include it. They're the only ones that can offer what they offer. A simple jack being native on the hardware isn't going to really change that. But they can lose potential new buys from users that aren't already in their ecosystem, or didn't quite like the previous iterations of iPhones and iOS.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

9 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

It's like ***** about Dodge/RAM not using a double DIN radio in their next 3/4 ton truck if favor of a multitouch panel infotainment system, and claiming they could have fit in a double DIN because the significantly smaller Dakotas of yesteryears had them.

That's not the same thing (or even similar).  In this instance, adding a headphone jack would not have prevented them from allowing wireless headsets.  They could have had both, they opted to remove one, because "reasons".

Just now, Jito463 said:

That's not the same thing (or even similar).  In this instance, adding a headphone jack would not have prevented them from allowing wireless headsets.  They could have had both, they opted to remove one, because "reasons".

They removed the headphone jack for the haptic feedback engine, because the engine's design occupies space that would otherwise used for the jack.

Regarding the truck, the infotainment system adds functionalities, and in most implementations, replaces your bog standard radio. In most cases, a standard radio could fit, had the infotainment system be designed accomodate.

The only REAL difference is that the infotainment system still has the radio functionality (albeit too complex for stupid drivers to handle).

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

Just now, Jito463 said:

I'm still unclear on what the difference is between the "haptic feedback" and a regular vibrate mode on phones.  Sounds like a PR word to sell phones.

Haptic Feedback Engine*

Basically, Apple designed an advanced bank of vibrator motors, that can achieve a larger variety of "clicks" that are SIGNIFICANTLY better than what we've had before. Whereas most phones with haptic feedback use a single bitch basic motor.

And they used this to simulate the click of the home button on prior models, as well as give a better feedback on the keyboard.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

Just now, Drak3 said:

Haptic Feedback Engine*

Basically, Apple designed an advanced bank of vibrator motors, that can achieve a larger variety of "clicks" that are SIGNIFICANTLY better than what we've had before. Whereas most phones with haptic feedback use a single ***** basic motor.

And they used this to simulate the click of the home button on prior models, as well as give a better feedback on the keyboard.

So, a PR word to sell phones.  Gotcha.