StrangeParts creates Internal iPhone 7 Headphone Jack Mod - despite Apples claims

goodtofufriday
Just now, Drak3 said:

Having used both sidreby side, after using an S6, Note 4, and S4, extremely easy to tell the difference between the 7's capative and the 6s' physical. So much so, that I will call anyone stupid if they say that it feels the same.

I didn't say the same for a reason -- because it doesn't feel the same, but it still feels like a real button, and a satisfying one at that.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

1 minute ago, djdwosk97 said:

I didn't say the same for a reason -- because it doesn't feel the same, but it still feels like a real button, and a satisfying one at that.

No, it really doesn't. There is a HUGE distinction between the two.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

i can live without a home button but ill be damned if they take away the headphone jack. Please don't do it Samsung.

8 hours ago, Drak3 said:

No, it's not. It's better than nothing or anything every other OEM offers, but it is extremely easy to tell the difference.

That's your opinion. The first time I used my friend's iPhone 7 I didn't even notice that it was capacitive. I've used other iPhones and Galaxy devices in the past that have physical buttons, too.

41 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

So much so, that I will call anyone stupid if they say that it feels the same.

I guess I know what kind of a person you are then :P 

I used to be quite active here.

18 minutes ago, Kobathor said:

That's your opinion.

No, my opinion  is that Apple's capacitive + haptics is better than Apple's physical. Saying that the capacitive is distinct from physical is an observation.

21 minutes ago, Kobathor said:

The first time I used my friend's iPhone 7 I didn't even notice that it was capacitive.

My friend told me he got a 6s. Gave it to me to play with. Instantly knew it was the 7 due exclusively to the home button.

Next day, while burning some time at a Best Buy, played with the 6s, the SE, and the 7. Very distict feel, tested all 3 settings. Nothing hints at physical button on the 7.

No travel.

The instantaneous click of a physical button (both sound and felt feedback) was instead a definitive short vibration burst.

Smoother transition from body to button on the 7, whereas it is a slight edge on the 6s and the SE.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

3 hours ago, Drak3 said:

No, my opinion  is that Apple's capacitive + haptics is better than Apple's physical. Saying that the capacitive is distinct from physical is an observation.

My friend told me he got a 6s. Gave it to me to play with. Instantly knew it was the 7 due exclusively to the home button.

Next day, while burning some time at a Best Buy, played with the 6s, the SE, and the 7. Very distict feel, tested all 3 settings. Nothing hints at physical button on the 7.

No travel.

The instantaneous click of a physical button (both sound and felt feedback) was instead a definitive short vibration burst.

Smoother transition from body to button on the 7, whereas it is a slight edge on the 6s and the SE.

Use an iPhone 7 extensively and you get used to it to the point where it does feel like a button. At first it no question feels a bit off, but you get used to it and eventually can switch back and forth and feel a very similar button-click satisfaction from both. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

22 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

Use an iPhone 7 extensively and you get used to it to the point where it does feel like a button.

Getting used to it will not magically make it feel like a button. It feels like a a piece of glass and a vibration. That will never change.

23 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

but you get used to it and eventually can switch back and forth and feel a very similar button-click satisfaction from both. 

You will never get the satisfying button click with the iPhone 7 (the button on the 6s and SE are fairly meh, IMO). You'll get a satisfying vibration burst.

And honestly, the S8 does the same exact thing, except it's less pronounced than the medium and high settings on the 7, the vibration is a fraction of a second longer, and the S8 vibrates twice (once for the press, once for the release). I'm well used to my S8 twins, so much so that I have to remind myself of the physical home button and app drawer icon in the dock every time I use my S6.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

6 hours ago, Drak3 said:

Why would he claim he got an older model?

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Just now, Ryan_Vickers said:

Why would he claim he got an older model?

He wanted to know if him telling that the 7's home button wasn't an actual button just from the press was just him. And he knows that I know about the home button on the 7.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

Just now, Drak3 said:

He wanted to know if him telling that the 7's home button wasn't an actual button just from the press was just him. And he knows that I know about the home button on the 7.

Ah, so like an attempt at a blind test :P 

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Ah, so like an attempt at a blind test :P 

Successful one at that. Only things that differentiate the 6s and 7 as far as Drak3 sees are:

Headphone jack

Home button.

And Drak3 didn't get a good look at the phone before playing with it.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

1 minute ago, Drak3 said:

Successful one at that. Only things that differentiate the 6s and 7 as far as Drak3 sees are:

Headphone jack

Home button.

And Drak3 didn't get a good look at the phone before playing with it.

really?  There's also the dual cameras, and the fact that the 6 was ugly af :P 

really?  There's also the dual cameras, and the fact that the 6 was ugly af :P 

Drak3 doesn't care about the camera, and the 7+ is the one with dual cameras. Regular 7 only has 1 camera, just like the 6s. Looking at Apple's site, the third, and last, key difference is the band pattern on the back.

So, without analyzing the device's bottom or back (which the garden variety Drak3 doesn't do unless the device belongs to said Drak3), I have no way of instantly recognizing 6s vs 7 until pressing the home button.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

5 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

6 was ugly af

6 and the 6s were the worst i phones, so many issues stem from poor engineering. 

On 9/8/2017 at 2:33 PM, DildorTheDecent said:

921c78aed6348390119251969c0a1713.png

Lets not include the part about moving some of the internal components though. 

>Shaving the headphone jack case

So Apple was right. They could not get a full size, 3.5mm jack in the iPhone. 

But sure since we're here lets just rag away. "hur hur Apple is evil".

Evil would be too much credit.

Just asinine and selling products that aren't really worth the money. Even at a lower price I'd still use anything else. Apple products are for people who "have degrees in computering" as Tales from Tech Support would put it.

For evidence that their products aren't worth money, please see this thread: 

Apple is the EA/Comcast of hardware manufacturers.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

4 hours ago, Trik'Stari said:

Evil would be too much credit.

Just asinine and selling products that aren't really worth the money. Even at a lower price I'd still use anything else. Apple products are for people who "have degrees in computering" as Tales from Tech Support would put it.

And yet my Mac(s) and iPhone(s) are the only phones/laptops that I haven't had even an ounce of regret in buying over the past decade of using them -- the same can't be said for any of the windows laptops (XPS16, 2015 XPS 15, SP3), Android phones (Droid X, HTC Thunderbolt, Razr Maxx), or Android Tablets (Note 8.0) I've owned.

4 hours ago, Trik'Stari said:

For evidence that their products aren't worth money, please see this thread: 

-snip-

Apple is the EA/Comcast of hardware manufacturers.

I'll say it again, if you are even the slightest bit persistent, you can go to an Apple store and get them to basically do whatever you want -- regardless of your warranty status. 

Oh, and let's still not pretend that 99% of that thread doesn't also apply to Samsung, LG, Motorola, HTC, OnePlus, etc... 

Samsung: 

http://www.samsung.com/us/Legal/Phone-HSGuide/#What is covered and for how long?

"SAMSUNG ELECTRONICS AMERICA, INC." warrants that this Product is free from defects in material and workmanship under normal use and service for the warranty period. The warranty period commences upon the date of purchase by the first consumer purchaser and continuing for the following specified period of time after that date:

Device : 1 Year
Batter(ies)*, including Internal Batteries : 1 Year
Other Accessories*: 1 Year

*If applicable.

• What are Samsung’s obligations?
    During the applicable warranty period, provided the Product is returned in accordance with the terms of this Standard Limited Warranty, Samsung will repair or replace the Product, at Samsung’s sole option, without charge. Samsung may, at Samsung’s sole option, use rebuilt, reconditioned, or new parts or components when repairing any Product, or may replace the Product with a rebuilt, reconditioned or new Product.

Repaired/replaced cases, pouches and holsters will be warranted for a period of ninety (90) days. All other repaired/replaced Products will be warranted for a period equal to the remainder of the original Standard Limited Warranty on the original Product or for ninety (90) days, whichever is longer. All replaced Products, parts, components, boards and equipment shall become the property of Samsung. Except to any extent expressly allowed by applicable law, transfer or assignment of this Standard Limited Warranty is prohibited.

OnePlus: https://oneplus.net/privacy-and-legal

OnePlus phones purchased on oneplus.net come with a limited warranty of one (1) year starting from the date of delivery. Unless otherwise specified, this warranty covers the hardware components of the Product as originally supplied and does not cover, or partially covers, software, consumable items, or accessories, even if packaged or sold together with the Product. This warranty is only redeemable within the original country or region of purchase.

The limited warranty only covers product defects caused by workmanship or build materials. To make a claim, please present your original Proof of Purchase (invoice), model and serial number of the Product, and photo evidence of the Product’s defects to OnePlus Customer Support at https://oneplus.net/support.

OnePlus may use rebuilt, reconditioned or new parts and components when repairing any product. Alternatively, we may replace the defective product entirely with a rebuilt, reconditioned or new OnePlus product.

LG: http://www.lg.com/us/support/manuals-documents

LG offers you a limited warranty that the enclosed subscriber unit and its enclosed accessories will be free from defects in material and workmanship, according to the following terms and conditions: (1) The limited warranty for the product extends for TWELVE (12) MONTHS beginning on the date of purchase of the product with valid proof of purchase, or absent valid proof of purchase, FIFTEEN (15) MONTHS from date of manufacture as determined by the unit’s manufacture date code

LG will, at its sole option, either repair, replace or refund the purchase price of any unit that is covered under this limited warranty. LG may choose at its option to use functionally equivalent re-conditioned, refurbished or new units or parts or any units. In addition, LG will not re-install or back-up any data, applications or software that you have added to your phone. It is therefore recommended that you back-up any such data or information prior to sending the unit to LG to avoid the permanent loss of such information.

I could continue, but the point is, these are all things Apple has taken shit for, and yet all companies do it. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

6 hours ago, djdwosk97 said:

Oh, and let's still not pretend that 99% of that thread doesn't also apply to Samsung, LG, Motorola, HTC, OnePlus, etc... 

yeah but when samsung hits the bucket, most notable one Note 7, they don't just go:

deny, deny, deny, class action, deny, deny, deny, deny, lose class action, deny, appeal class action ruling, deny, deny, deny, lose appeal, sorry we fucked up, here's an extended warranty. 

And by the time that extended warranty comes you already bought a new phone a couple of years ago.

HTC and Motorola include a free replacement for accidental damages in their one year warranty no question asked, accidental damages as in 100% definitely users fault not production defect. Only ones who are as bad as apple i can think off are LG and Asus

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

2 hours ago, suicidalfranco said:

yeah but when samsung hits the bucket, most notable one Note 7, they don't just go:

deny, deny, deny, class action, deny, deny, deny, deny, lose class action, deny, appeal class action ruling, deny, deny, deny, lose appeal, sorry we fucked up, here's an extended warranty. 

And by the time that extended warranty comes you already bought a new phone a couple of years ago.

HTC and Motorola include a free replacement for accidental damages in their one year warranty no question asked, accidental damages as in 100% definitely users fault not production defect. Only ones who are as bad as apple i can think off are LG and Asus

You're comparing a case where Samsung's phone was literally blowing up to apple where your screen would lose functionality. If iPhones were exploding because of some flaw, and Apple didnt handle it similarly or better than Samsung, then sure, you'd have a point.

Does Motorola's warranty also apply to non indestructible phones where their durability is a main selling point?

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

3 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

a case where Samsung's phone was literally blowing up

When did this happen? The closest thing I can recall was the Note 7, but I wouldn't that "literally blowing up."

Pyo.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

8 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

When did this happen? The closest thing I can recall was the Note 7, but I wouldn't that "literally blowing up."

Pyo.

Really..... Okay, let's pretend that a device igniting into flames wouldn't count as that. 

Are you really going to compare Samsung's response to a design flaw that gave people third degree burns, was banned on all US flights by the DOT/FAA, and could cause damage to personal property to the screen on an iPhone losing functionality? 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

Just now, djdwosk97 said:

Okay, let's pretend that a device igniting into flames wouldn't count as that.

Blowing up is an explosion, an actual explosion, pyo. Not the sensationalist bullshit ran by LTT and media, pyo.

1 minute ago, djdwosk97 said:

Are you really going to compare Samsung's response to a design flaw that gave people third degree burns, was banned on all US flights by the DOT/FAA, and could cause damage to personal property to the screen on an iPhone losing functionality? 

Samsung immediately pushed bandaid fixes and started calling devices back once the rate increased beyond what was typical, pyo. And even then, 'design flaw' was more along the lines of faulty manufacture from third party, pyo.

Whereas Apple's issues do come down to their design, and they don't exactly have a history of admitting or fixing these issues in a timely manner.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Samsung immediately pushed bandaid fixes and started calling devices back once the rate increased beyond what was typical, pyo. And even then, 'design flaw' was more along the lines of faulty manufacture from third party, pyo.

A) Why does it matter if the cause was a physical design flaw by Samsung or a design flaw in the batteries used by Samsung? Either way, the result is the same. Consumers devices were catching fire and becoming a safety hazard. Which parts vendor is to blame is irrelevant. 

Oh, and that third party manufacturer (well, one of them), was Samsung SDI. 

Whereas Apple's issues do come down to their design,

The issue with underfill on the 6 isn't down to their design any more than the Note 7 issue was , it's them cutting that corner -- just like the batteries used in the Note 7 had design flaws (the ones from Samsung SDI didn't have enough room for expansion, and the ones from Amperex were missing insulation and had sharp edges inside the battery). 

and they don't exactly have a history of admitting or fixing these issues in a timely manner.

That may very well be true, but that doesn't mean you can compare Apple (err, Foxconn -- a third party manufacturer) not using underfill in the 6 with Samsung that had phones that were a safety hazard. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

50 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

You're comparing a case where Samsung's phone was literally blowing up to apple where your screen would lose functionality. If iPhones were exploding because of some flaw, and Apple didnt handle it similarly or better than Samsung, then sure, you'd have a point.

Does Motorola's warranty also apply to non indestructible phones where their durability is a main selling point?

Motorola doesn't even have indestructible phone. pyo

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

2 minutes ago, suicidalfranco said:

Motorola doesn't even have indestructible phone. pyo

The answer to my question was yes, it does seem to apply to any phone after July 2015, and that's great, I commend them for that. However, they're also going down a different path than Samsung or Apple in that they design their phones to be durable and don't worry as much about how they look (at least that applies to flagship Samsung phones, lower models don't look any better than Motorola devices). 

The Z Force, Z2 Force, and Turbo 2 are about as close as you can get in the smartphone market. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler