Nvidia Volta Won't Use HBM2, But GDDR5X

Just now, NumLock21 said:

They also used it on their Tesla.

So the point of your post was what exactly?

1 hour ago, NumLock21 said:

Nvidia will not use HBM2 cause it's made by AMD.

Got to make their own graphic memory, but cannot think awesome name!

Must have RamWorks!

6 hours ago, ARikozuM said:

I'm fine with GDDR5X. No point in adding cost to a card that, at the top end, should cost 700-800.

Except it shouldn't. If you take manufacture + packaging + shipping costs, the unit cost of a top end GPU isn't even 100USD. If you take into account all the R&D it took to develop the architecture and engineer the PCB, operating expenses, capital expenses, etc, the total per-card cost comes to something like 250USD. Nvidia is posting record profits, ripping us off with 1200USD cards because of lack of competition from AMD on that segment, and charging 700+USD for gaming cards. This is why we have to support AMD with our wallets so they can compete better with nvidia a bring us better products and reasonable prices.

Corsair 600T | Intel Core i7-4770K @ 4.5GHz | Samsung SSD Evo 970 1TB | MS Windows 10 | Samsung CF791 34" | 16GB 1600 MHz Kingston DDR3 HyperX | ASUS Formula VI | Corsair H110  Corsair AX1200i | ASUS Strix Vega 56 8GB Internet http://beta.speedtest.net/result/4365368180

7 hours ago, domandric034 said:

NVIDIA wake up !!

You don't see upcomming enemy rising from Red Team, you need to put god fucking HBM2 or rip your next architecture cause Vega (If everything goes correctly and shows that those demos were real) will destroy u.

What's the point of HBM2? Why do they need it?

Vega is only using two stacks of it anyways, so bandwidth isn't actually any higher than the 1080 ti.

And how is Vega gonna destroy Nvidia? They haven't shown any legit game benchmarks at all. Plus amd always likes to show best case scenario.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

43 minutes ago, Terodius said:

Except it shouldn't. If you take manufacture + packaging + shipping costs, the unit cost of a top end GPU isn't even 100USD. If you take into account all the R&D it took to develop the architecture and engineer the PCB, operating expenses, capital expenses, etc, the total per-card cost comes to something like 250USD. Nvidia is posting record profits, ripping us off with 1200USD cards because of lack of competition from AMD on that segment, and charging 700+USD for gaming cards. This is why we have to support AMD with our wallets so they can compete better with nvidia a bring us better products and reasonable prices.

May I have a source for the cost stuff?

As a consumer, you shouldn't be trying to support a company. Just get the best value you can. That's how capitalism works.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

On 6/16/2017 at 8:21 AM, LegendKillerRG said:

AMD is able to offer HBM/2 for cheap..

None of AMDs cards use HBM2.

They only used HBM, and that was only for the Fury series, which was not "cheap".

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

1 minute ago, Enderman said:

They only used HBM1, and that was only for the Fury series, which was not "cheap".

ftfy

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

So I get that HBM2 is really expensive to make, but those cards are already hugely expensive. Even if they had to add $100 to the price, enthusiasts would see it as worth it to get the best they can make. The best thing out shouldn't have compromises.

Laptop: Asus GA502DU

RAM: 16GB DDR4 | CPU: Ryzen 3750H | GPU: GTX 1660ti

30 minutes ago, Enderman said:

They only used HBM, and that was only for the Fury series, which was not "cheap".

There's a /2 for a reason. HBM/2. AMD Vega is offering 16GB HBM2 for $1199 I think. Point is, AMD is able to offer it at a considerable price. Nvidia would probably cost more to buy than AMD.

5 minutes ago, LegendKillerRG said:

There's a /2 for a reason. HBM/2. AMD Vega is offering 16GB HBM2 for $1199 I think. Point is, AMD is able to offer it at a considerable price. Nvidia would probably cost more to buy than AMD.

1) Then you should have written HBM or HBM1 not HBM/2

If you meant to say HBM + HBM2 then you write HBM(2) with the brackets implying that the 2 is conditional.

2) $1200 USD is not "cheap" neither is the $400-1500 of the Fury cards.

3) vega doesn't even exist in the market yet, everything is just rumours and suppositions.

4) having HBM does not magically make a GPU perform 100x better, the GPU core is what matters most by a long shot, HBM is just like a cherry on top that can get you a few more fps in certain games.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

I guess not having HBM2 on consumer cards makes sense (to keep cost down), but surely the Ti and Titan would. Or is it just a flat out no on all cards on Volta not having HBM2.
I wont be upgrading anytime soon, so I don't really need to think to much into this I guess.

CORSAIR RIPPER: AMD 3970X - 3080TI & 2080TI - 64GB Ram - 2.5TB NVME SSD's - 35" G-Sync 120hz 1440P
MFB (Mining/Folding/Boinc): AMD 1600 - 3080 & 1080Ti - 16GB Ram - 240GB SSD
Dell OPTIPLEX:  Intel i5 6500 - 8GB Ram - 256GB SSD

PC & CONSOLE GAMER

I don't mind.

Skipping Volta and Vega anyway.

Waiting for the one that comes after Volta ... was the name for that generation released already?

Intel i7 12700K | Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X DDR4 | Pure Loop 240mm | G.Skill 3200MHz 32GB CL14 | CM V850 G2 | RTX 3070 Phoenix | Lian Li O11 Air mini

Samsung EVO 960 M.2 250GB | Samsung EVO 860 PRO 512GB | 4x Be Quiet! Silent Wings 140mm fans

WD My Cloud 4TB

On 17.6.2017 at 0:53 AM, DocSwag said:

May I have a source for the cost stuff?

As a consumer, you shouldn't be trying to support a company. Just get the best value you can. That's how capitalism works.

Well, A LOT if people doesnt do that....

(aka. most casuals get Nvidia GPU no matter how good AMD GPUs is in their price segment)

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

2 hours ago, Enderman said:

1) Then you should have written HBM or HBM1 not HBM/2

If you meant to say HBM + HBM2 then you write HBM(2) with the brackets implying that the 2 is conditional.

2) $1200 USD is not "cheap" neither is the $400-1500 of the Fury cards.

3) vega doesn't even exist in the market yet, everything is just rumours and suppositions.

4) having HBM does not magically make a GPU perform 100x better, the GPU core is what matters most by a long shot, HBM is just like a cherry on top that can get you a few more fps in certain games.

You guys realize that it's not like that?

You just can't replace one memory by the other and expect it to work the same. HBM type of memory have quirks which change the design of the core in order for it to take advantage of it. Slap a gddr5X memory on it and it doesn't work as well anymore because it's not meant to.

6 minutes ago, laminutederire said:

You just can't replace one memory by the other and expect it to work the same. HBM type of memory have quirks which change the design of the core in order for it to take advantage of it. Slap a gddr5X memory on it and it doesn't work as well anymore because it's not meant to.

HBM is built INTO to the GPU core. Yes it requires a completely redesigned GPU.

My point is that it is not super necessary because there are other things that make a bigger difference.

Spoiler

On 6/16/2017 at 5:10 PM, Terodius said:

You were on point until you called to support AMD with our wallets. 

No. 

One should never reward inferior products for the sake of punishing a competitor, that literally stops progress. 

Buy AMD when it actually fucking makes sense to like the 150-250 usd price range. 

-------

Current Rig

-------

5 hours ago, Mihle said:

Well, A LOT if people doesnt do that....

(aka. most casuals get Nvidia GPU no matter how good AMD GPUs is in their price segment)

They don't buy nvidia to support nvidia. They buy nvidia because they were either convinced my marketing that nvidia is better or they have had bad experiences with AMD.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

On 6/16/2017 at 9:31 AM, ARikozuM said:

I'm fine with GDDR5X. No point in adding cost to a card that, at the top end, should cost 700-800.

Titan should be 700-800. GTX xx80 should be 400-500.

Just now, dexT said:

Titan should be 700-800. GTX xx80 should be 400-500.

You don't buy a Titan because it's a value card. The X70 cards are the sweet spot for price/performance and should remain as such unless the market produces the change. If Nvidia provided the Titan and X80 cards for 700 and 400, AMD wouldn't sell any cards due to the price/performance being much higher or Nvidia would cease to make powerful cards at those tiers.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

On 16/06/2017 at 0:19 PM, NumLock21 said:

So HBM2 is only for their Tesla

Hopefully the TITAN X as well

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

7 hours ago, Simon771 said:

I don't mind.

Skipping Volta and Vega anyway.

Waiting for the one that comes after Volta ... was the name for that generation released already?

Same here. Got a 1080 ti atm. Its good enough for the next 2 years at least. 

6 hours ago, laminutederire said:

Actually one of the really cool features of Pascal is that their memory controller can in fact handle both just as well. 

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

1 hour ago, djdwosk97 said:

They don't buy nvidia to support nvidia. They buy nvidia because they were either convinced my marketing that nvidia is better or they have had bad experiences with AMD.

Most of the time they get Nvidia because they friends has it, and then their casual friends get it because of what they got, and so on...

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

1 minute ago, Mihle said:

Most of the time they get Nvidia because they friends has it, and then their casual friends get it, and so on...

My point still stands.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

3 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

My point still stands.

Haven't been burned by AMD (hah, jokes), but what you're essentially saying (or what I'm drawing from it) is that there's no Nvidia card stronger than AMD's line-up, i.e. 1080<580.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers