Microsoft is finally making a Windows Movie Maker replacement!

Finally, Microsoft has decided to create a replacement to Windows Movie maker. If you somehow don't know what Windows Movie maker is, it's a basic video editing software made by Microsoft for Windows XP-Windows 7. Earlier this year it was discontinued and it looks like Microsoft finally has a replacement.

Story Remix works in the cloud by collating images and video you use from any device. That means there will be a Story Remix app for iOS, Android, and Windows so you can grab content from multiple devices and work on your video. It’s similar to Apple’s new Clips app, but a lot more customizable and powerful. If you start a story on an iPhone, you can resume its creation on a Windows 10 PC and vice versa. Microsoft is also combining its work with Remix 3D and Paint 3D into Story Remix, allowing Windows users to import 3D models into movies. You can even pin objects into scenes, much like how Snapchat's new augmented reality lenses work and things like ink will follow people around in videos. Soundtracks can also be added from Microsoft's Groove music service. Microsoft is really aiming this at families and a younger audience who want to quickly create videos with a soundtrack and some neat effects. Microsoft is planning to deliver its impressive Story Remix app with the Windows 10 Fall Creators Update later this year.

While I don't think will be a replacement for Resolve, Premiere, or any other professional video editing program, I think this is going to be good for the target audience and maybe for simple videos that don't need much editing (like adding music).

Sauces:

https://www.theverge.com/2017/5/11/15617400/microsoft-story-remix-app-windows-ios-android

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/upcoming-features

✨PC Specs✨

AMD Ryzen 7 3800X | MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus | 16GB Team T-Force 3400MHz | Zotac GTX 1080 AMP EXTREME

BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 4 Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | NZXT 750W | Phanteks Eclipse P400A

Extras: ASUS Zephyrus G14 (2021) | OnePlus 7 Pro | Fully restored Robosapien V2, Omnibot 2000, Omnibot 5402

Just now, TheGleaner said:

Why do I have the feeling that they are going to mess this up somehow?

Because it's Microsoft.

Hopefully they don't though.

✨PC Specs✨

AMD Ryzen 7 3800X | MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus | 16GB Team T-Force 3400MHz | Zotac GTX 1080 AMP EXTREME

BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 4 Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | NZXT 750W | Phanteks Eclipse P400A

Extras: ASUS Zephyrus G14 (2021) | OnePlus 7 Pro | Fully restored Robosapien V2, Omnibot 2000, Omnibot 5402

Yay!

Then:

- Windows 10 exclusive

- Live 365 Subscription required

- You have to turn on all disabled spying metadata collecting for....reasons

- Kaby lake 7700k or Ryzen 1700 required. No not recommended, we'll disable the thing if the processor isn't that or better...cause reasons...

Not so yay anymore.

-------

Current Rig

-------

1 minute ago, Misanthrope said:

Yay!

Then:

- Windows 10 exclusive

- Kaby lake 7700k or Ryzen 1700 required. No not recommended, we'll disable the thing if the processor isn't that or better...cause reasons...

Not so yay anymore.

Yep pretty much my guess on how they will mess this up.

I remember the one in Vista lets you save in HD and the others don't?

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

8 minutes ago, TheGleaner said:

Why do I have the feeling that they are going to mess this up somehow?

I don't know.. if you think they'll make a Adobe Premiere, then "they'll mess this up" in your eyes.

If you think they will make a basic, "everyone can use" video editor, then they'll be able to deliver.

Just now, GoodBytes said:

I don't know.. if you think they'll make a Adobe Premiere, then "they'll mess this up" in your eyes.

If you think they will make a basic, "everyone can use" video editor, then they'll be able to deliver.

I mean have ridiculous requirements like Misanthrope said

1 minute ago, TheGleaner said:

I mean have ridiculous requirements like Misanthrope said

Ah ok, I follow you!

I hope they make something actually comparable to iMovie.

Current LTT F@H Rank: 90    Score: 2,503,680,659    Stats

Yes, I have 9 monitors.

My main PC (Hybrid Windows 10/Arch Linux):

OS: Arch Linux w/ XFCE DE (VFIO-Patched Kernel) as host OS, windows 10 as guest

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X w/PBO on (6c 12t for host, 6c 12t for guest)

Cooler: Noctua NH-D15

Mobo: Asus X470-F Gaming

RAM: 32GB G-Skill Ripjaws V @ 3200MHz (12GB for host, 20GB for guest)

GPU: Guest: EVGA RTX 3070 FTW3 ULTRA Host: 2x Radeon HD 8470

PSU: EVGA G2 650W

SSDs: Guest: Samsung 850 evo 120 GB, Samsung 860 evo 1TB Host: Samsung 970 evo 500GB NVME

HDD: Guest: WD Caviar Blue 1 TB

Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Black w/ Tempered Glass Side Panel Upgrade

Other: White LED strip to illuminate the interior. Extra fractal intake fan for positive pressure.

unRAID server (Plex, Windows 10 VM, NAS, Duplicati, game servers):

CPU: Ryzen R7 2700x @ Stock

Cooler: Noctua NH-U9S

Mobo: Asus Prime X470-Pro

RAM: 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V + 16GB Hyperx Fury Black @ stock

GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2

PSU: EVGA G3 850W

SSD: Samsung 970 evo NVME 250GB, Samsung 860 evo SATA 1TB 

HDDs: 4x HGST Dekstar NAS 4TB @ 7200RPM (3 data, 1 parity)

Case: Sillverstone GD08B

Other: Added 3x Noctua NF-F12 intake, 2x Noctua NF-A8 exhaust, Inatek 5 port USB 3.0 expansion card with usb 3.0 front panel header

Details: 12GB ram, GTX 1080, USB card passed through to windows 10 VM. VM's OS drive is the SATA SSD. Rest of resources are for Plex, Duplicati, Spaghettidetective, Nextcloud, and game servers.

27 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

Sure you can! 240p is HD compared to 144p, so what's the problem? :P

Vista does have a HD version of it.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

Or you could use blender, which is free and better. The only downside is that it's not intuitive.

1 hour ago, Misanthrope said:

Yay!

Then:

- Windows 10 exclusive

Not so yay anymore.

I... actually I wouldn't be surprised by any of that

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Here it is:

As expected, a basic video editor for family editing.

You have the basic stuff, but you do have a cool feature, 3D model you can inserted, and they are auto-tracked by the scene moving.

3 hours ago, ShadowTechXTS said:

While I don't think will be a replacement for Resolve, Premiere, or any other professional video editing program, I think this is going to be good for the target audience and maybe for simple videos that don't need much editing (like adding music).

It will have the ability to add music and sync the music and video with the beat.

*edit 

See my notes from the Build 2017.

1 hour ago, SansVarnic said:

Windows Story Remix

• Similar to Nokia Story teller from way back. [it returns yay!]
  • Remix 3D
  • View 3D
  • Improved Facial Recognition
  • Collaborative Video creation
  • .NET and XAML UWP app transfered to iOS and Android via Xamarin
  • Pen and Ink support added
  • Inking can follow people you Tag
  •  AI/deep learning integrated for smoother video creation
  • Mix music and match beats to video
  • Remix 3D Community integration
  • Anchor 3D objects to real world ones in videos.
  • More ...

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

3 hours ago, ShadowTechXTS said:

Hopefully they don't though.

they will, they always screw up with a new thing they add to windows, it's become the norm for them

their biggest mistakes are: windows ME, vista and 8

look at how they were received. 8 had to have a update to fix a lot of its flaws, vista was never used to it's high hardware requirements and ME was just s**t at launch crashing when it had the chance

****SORRY FOR MY ENGLISH IT'S REALLY TERRIBLE*****

Been married to my wife for 3 years now! Yay!

I bet its going to be UWP only, full of bloat like 2-300mb files size, but no actual features, aaaand it sucks.  

19 minutes ago, yian88 said:

I bet its going to be UWP only, full of bloat like 2-300mb files size, but no actual features, aaaand it sucks.  

It is just a new feature in the Photos app of Windows 10.

7 minutes ago, zMeul said:

VirtualDub still exists

I doubt regular users know what that is.

✨PC Specs✨

3 hours ago, Misanthrope said:

Yay!

Then:

- Windows 10 exclusive

Not so yay anymore.

If that's the case, then I'll just pay $50 every month for Adobe Premiere or learn DaVinci Resolve or stick to Final Cut Pro X on the Mac. 

3 hours ago, sazrocks said:

I hope they make something actually comparable to iMovie.

I was hoping they'll make something to compete with Premiere Pro. If they'll do that and bundle it with an Office 365 subscription, I'm in. 

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

Story Remix works in the cloud by collating images and video you use from any device.

This makes it sound like all the work is done via the cloud no? I really hope not cause that would be dumb af considering peoples upload speed.

or just get lightworks

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>