Microsoft is finally making a Windows Movie Maker replacement!

10 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

If you think they will make a basic, "everyone can use" video editor, then they'll be able to deliver.

Right. Microsoft Sway was an app with a lot of potential, but wow it's probably the worst program I've ever used. I really don't have much hope since Microsoft has a unique way of screwing things up

9 hours ago, sazrocks said:

I hope they make something actually comparable to iMovie.

I really doubt it. All they really need to do is build a down to earth basic video editor and build on it. But from history, Microsoft will make some weird shit that wouldn't work half of the time

I think Microsoft is out of touch with the world.

Raise your hands now everyone, how many of you used Windows Movie Maker because it was a really good editing program with lots of unique features?

What's that? Nobody?

OK, how many used it because it was free and simple to use with just the most basic features and no fluff?

Oh, everyone?

Why the hell are they including a bunch of useless crap like 3D modeling?

Did any user ever use Movie Maker and think "this program really lacks virtual reality tools. That would make it so much better".

Nobody is going to edit Avatar 2 with Movie Maker, so why include all this bullshit?

Just make a basic video editing tool that my mom can use.

Also, does it really need all this cloud garbage? I don't want my video editing program to pester me about buying songs from Groove music nor do I want all my videos and photos to be uploaded to Microsoft. 

In before it's Windows 10 exclusive too, for no apparent reason...

I think Microsoft needs to learn what their users want and then start developing that. Not look at how they can maximize profit and then completely ignore their users.

I would not be surprised if it contains a ton of crappy defaults as well, such as having the store selected as the default source of audio instead of your local computer. 

21 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

I think Microsoft is out of touch with the world.

Raise your hands now everyone, how many of you used Windows Movie Maker because it was a really good editing program with lots of unique features?

What's that? Nobody?

OK, how many used it because it was free and simple to use with just the most basic features and no fluff?

Oh, everyone?

Why the hell are they including a bunch of useless crap like 3D modeling?

Did any user ever use Movie Maker and think "this program really lacks virtual reality tools. That would make it so much better".

Nobody is going to edit Avatar 2 with Movie Maker, so why include all this bullshit?

Just make a basic video editing tool that my mom can use.

Also, does it really need all this cloud garbage? I don't want my video editing program to pester me about buying songs from Groove music nor do I want all my videos and photos to be uploaded to Microsoft. 

In before it's Windows 10 exclusive too, for no apparent reason...

I think Microsoft needs to learn what their users want and then start developing that. Not look at how they can maximize profit and then completely ignore their users.

I would not be surprised if it contains a ton of crappy defaults as well, such as having the store selected as the default source of audio instead of your local computer. 

Virtually no one used it. You have way better free solutions out there.

And it is a basic editor that mom can use.

And the cloud stuff is in line with the Photo app which uses Microsoft Cloud stuff. already. For the few times Microsoft does something right, they have done it right. It isn't some  software apart, it is a new feature of the Photo app, inline with it.

You say that Microsoft should make things for all version of Windows. But then you go, "Well there is no point in upgrading to the latest version of Windows". Should Sony make all its games for the PS3 and PS2 as well? Well clearly they aren't. No one is. There is no money there to justify anything.

Make it as good as any of the high end software and watch everyone switch over.

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

Probably just going to stick with movie maker. I dont need anything more for my kayaking videos, all I need to do is string together a few clips from my gopro and add music. No reason to do something like that in Premiere 

He who asks is stupid for 5 minutes. He who does not ask, remains stupid. -Chinese proverb. 

Those who know much are aware that they know little. - Slick roasting me

Spoiler

AXIOM

CPU- Intel i5-6500 GPU- EVGA 1060 6GB Motherboard- Gigabyte GA-H170-D3H RAM- 8GB HyperX DDR4-2133 PSU- EVGA GQ 650w HDD- OEM 750GB Seagate Case- NZXT S340 Mouse- Logitech Gaming g402 Keyboard-  Azio MGK1 Headset- HyperX Cloud Core

Offical first poster LTT V2.0

Just now, Clanscorpia said:

Probably just going to stick with movie maker. I dont need anything more for my kayaking videos, all I need to do is string together a few clips from my gopro and add music. No reason to do something like that in Premiere 

You can't download it anymore, but you can continue to use it.

✨PC Specs✨

AMD Ryzen 7 3800X | MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus | 16GB Team T-Force 3400MHz | Zotac GTX 1080 AMP EXTREME

BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 4 Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | NZXT 750W | Phanteks Eclipse P400A

Extras: ASUS Zephyrus G14 (2021) | OnePlus 7 Pro | Fully restored Robosapien V2, Omnibot 2000, Omnibot 5402

Just now, ShadowTechXTS said:

You can't download it anymore, but you can continue to use it.

wut. Microsoft can fight me

He who asks is stupid for 5 minutes. He who does not ask, remains stupid. -Chinese proverb. 

Spoiler

AXIOM

CPU- Intel i5-6500 GPU- EVGA 1060 6GB Motherboard- Gigabyte GA-H170-D3H RAM- 8GB HyperX DDR4-2133 PSU- EVGA GQ 650w HDD- OEM 750GB Seagate Case- NZXT S340 Mouse- Logitech Gaming g402 Keyboard-  Azio MGK1 Headset- HyperX Cloud Core

Just now, Clanscorpia said:

wut. Microsoft can fight me

i am sure you can find it from other sources.

Why are they removing it if they dont have the new one up yet. This could seriously affect me at school if I need to use it there

Spoiler

AXIOM

Just now, GoodBytes said:

Softonic isnt a very good source :P 

Spoiler

AXIOM

35 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

What universe do you live in where Movie Maker was barely used by anyone?

It was hugely popular.

Like every other video on YouTube was made with Movie Maker.

And the cloud stuff is in line with the Photo app which uses Microsoft Cloud stuff. already. For the few times Microsoft does something right, they have done it right. It isn't some  software apart, it is a new feature of the Photo app, inline with it.

So the cancer started in the Photo app and has now infected other parts. Got it.

Let's hope the tumor does not spread even further.

You say that Microsoft should make things for all version of Windows. But then you go, "Well there is no point in upgrading to the latest version of Windows". Should Sony make all its games for the PS3 and PS2 as well? Well clearly they aren't. No one is. There is no money there to justify anything.

You got to be kidding.

This is not like PS2 to PS3. The hardware is the same.

A more accurate analogy would be region locks, and yes I think that is a garbage practice as well.

Artificially limiting things because you want higher profits is not the way to make a good product.

Money should not always be the number 1 priority. Sometimes simply making a good product (a foreign concept to neo-Microsoft) will lead to profits. Maybe not as much in the short term as if you make a shitty product maximizing profits, but keeping your users happy is important for profits in the long run.

2 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

if mom and dumb joe can use iMovie i think that if MS took something like openshot's source code, applied their ugly style to make it look like they did it from scratch and make integral with the OS, mom and joe would still manage to do their vids with it

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

9 minutes ago, suicidalfranco said:

if mom and dumb joe can use iMovie i think that if MS took something like openshot's source code, applied their ugly style to make it look like they did it from scratch and make integral with the OS, mom and joe would still manage to do their vids with it

So then use openshot. You don't need Microsoft version of everything.

If the company doesn't feel it can do it, then they don't. Resources are moved to more important things in the company mind.

And don't say "oh they'll never know openshot's, and how to install it, etc".. they clearly install and use Chrome just fine. Chrome has ~60% market share.

18 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

I don't know.. if you think they'll make a Adobe Premiere, then "they'll mess this up" in your eyes.

If you think they will make a basic, "everyone can use" video editor, then they'll be able to deliver.

Indeed, I'm hoping for a Microsoft version of iMovie - simple, easy to use, powerful enough.

18 hours ago, sazrocks said:

I hope they make something actually comparable to iMovie.

Agreed

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

17 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

Here it is:

I think the 3D part of it will be really niche and mostly irrelevant, the motion tracking on the other hand is probably what will interest and actually be used by a majority of people to make memes, parodies, and other fun content (e.g. @TrumpDraws, pc vs consoles, pc vs peasants, pc vs 24fpsDota 2 Moana, etc).

Linus Sebastian said:

The stand is indeed made of metal but I wouldn't drive my car over a bridge made of it.

https://youtu.be/X5YXWqhL9ik?t=552

Well definitely need a new one though.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

On 5/12/2017 at 5:48 AM, LAwLz said:

What universe do you live in where Movie Maker was barely used by anyone?

It was hugely popular.

Like every other video on YouTube was made with Movie Maker.

So the cancer started in the Photo app and has now infected other parts. Got it.

Let's hope the tumor does not spread even further.

Have you tried Shotcut?  Just found it.  Looks to be a good alternative to Movie Maker.

Edited by Michael McAllister
Shotcut not Shortcut

My PC specifications are in my profile.

1 hour ago, Michael McAllister said:

Have you tried Shortcut?  Just found it.  Looks to be a good alternative to Movie Maker.

I don't need a video editor, but that one seems nice. If I ever need one I'll try it out.

8 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

8 hours ago, Clanscorpia said:

Softonic isnt a very good source :P 

There is a copy from a video I saw, I'll check it and possibly upload it to drive later if you want it.

✨PC Specs✨

AMD Ryzen 7 3800X | MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus | 16GB Team T-Force 3400MHz | Zotac GTX 1080 AMP EXTREME

BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 4 Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | NZXT 750W | Phanteks Eclipse P400A

Extras: ASUS Zephyrus G14 (2021) | OnePlus 7 Pro | Fully restored Robosapien V2, Omnibot 2000, Omnibot 5402

22 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

Anyone who ever wanted to start with video editing has used it. I started with Movie maker. But boy, you run out features in like two days after you use it. iMovie and hence Final Cut Pro was what allowed me to transition between the huge gap Movie maker and premiere pro. And at the time, there were no intuitive 3rd party editors.

My point being, that Microsft really had to make something like iMovie, but instead, as usual, they make and roll out half baked useless garbage. Sway is a perfect example.

I know it's not fair to judge something before I use it, but given from history I have very little hope

22 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

Photos app itself sucks. All I need is a fast and simple app that I can use to check out any photo. But god, it's slow with it's stupid splash screen and 2 sec black screen delay. I still miss the old windows photo viewer or whatever it was called

2 hours ago, RedRound2 said:

Anyone who ever wanted to start with video editing has used it. I started with Movie maker. But boy, you run out features in like two days after you use it. iMovie and hence Final Cut Pro was what allowed me to transition between the huge gap Movie maker and premiere pro. And at the time, there were no intuitive 3rd party editors.

My point being, that Microsft really had to make something like iMovie, but instead, as usual, they make and roll out half baked useless garbage. Sway is a perfect example.

I know it's not fair to judge something before I use it, but given from history I have very little hope

I agree. But I don't think Microsoft sees that they can do it (lack of expertise), or there is no motivation by the coders or managers to do it, or they don't see any value in it.

Will that change? Maybe... but since many many years that hasn't be the case.

Photos app itself sucks. All I need is a fast and simple app that I can use to check out any photo. But god, it's slow with it's stupid splash screen and 2 sec black screen delay. I still miss the old windows photo viewer or whatever it was called

Well, get a faster PC. I know it is a shitty thing to say and you just went "Yea... thanks GoodBytes!" But I am on a Core i7 930 (not OC), GeForce GTX 690, 6GB of RAM, and an SSD on SATA 2, not even 3. A shit bucket of computer today, and Photo app, and that is the version that can do the video editing thing as it is in the Insider program, open instantly, no splash screen. All the pictures shows right away. Maybe for HDDs it is an issue...that I'll give you that. It is all I can think about.

14 hours ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

You can still get WMM on win10

Only issue is it's not officially supported anymore.  Any vulnerabilities in the software will remain unpatched, thus creating an additional attack vector into a system or network.

My PC specifications are in my profile.

21 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

Well, get a faster PC. I know it is a shitty thing to say and you just went "Yea... thanks GoodBytes!" But I am on a Core i7 930 (not OC), GeForce GTX 690, 6GB of RAM, and an SSD on SATA 2, not even 3. A shit bucket of computer today, and Photo app, and that is the version that can do the video editing thing as it is in the Insider program, open instantly, no splash screen. All the pictures shows right away. Maybe for HDDs it is an issue...that I'll give you that. It is all I can think about.

I do have a pretty fast PC. i7 3770K, SSD, HD 7950, 16GB RAM, etc but the photos app is slow. There's always a 0.5~1 sec delay (not 2 but it feels like 2 when you are in a hurry). And no my windows installation isn't bloated or filled with crap.

Same goes for my university laptop.

They must've removed splash screen for photos in the recent update, but all the other metro apps have that annoying delay with splash screen like groove, edge and even the goddam calculator.

On May 11, 2017 at 5:41 PM, Mooshi said:

Wooo, more anime music videos with ugly blue title cards

Blue isn't ugly...  ? lol