Microsoft is finally making a Windows Movie Maker replacement!

What's this? MS is releasing a new video editing program that not only is free but that I don't have to use?  I must insult them and tell everyone how shit MS and their free products are.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

8 hours ago, mr moose said:

What's this? MS is releasing a new video editing program that not only is free but that I don't have to use?  I must insult them and tell everyone how shit MS and their free products are.

Being free does not make you immune to criticism.

31 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

But, isn't the saying goes: Beggars can't be choosers?

On 2017-05-12 at 2:22 AM, Sauron said:

Or you could use blender, which is free and better. The only downside is that it's not intuitive.

I... actually I wouldn't be surprised by any of that

blender is horrible IMO, sure its powerfull but doing ANYTHING in it without watching extensive tutorials that make no sense is almost imposible from what i remember last time i used it. but hey, if you can bother learning it its neat lol

On 2017-05-12 at 7:11 AM, suicidalfranco said:

or just get lightworks

yes. thats what i would say. lightworks is awesome exept for the fact that you are limited to 720p in the free version

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

Just now, Bananasplit_00 said:

blender is horrible IMO, sure its powerfull but doing ANYTHING in it without watching extensive tutorials that make no sense is almost imposible from what i remember last time i used it. but hey, if you can bother learning it its neat lol

Have you tried using Maya or 3DS MAX without having been taught it or having watched hours of video tutorials? All these programs are very complicated and therefore not user friendly. Blender may do things differently from the mainstream paid software suites, that doesn't mean its interface is inherently worse.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

I do think this is promising, but at the same time: I remember watching the Build presentation and thinking "it's basically a smarter iMovie."

Not that it's a bad thing -- I'd like to see everyone have quality creative tools, and it'll have a few advantages over iMovie.  It's just funny to see Microsoft take amateur video creation seriously about 18 years after Apple.

Just now, Sauron said:

Have you tried using Maya or 3DS MAX without having been taught it or having watched hours of video tutorials? All these programs are very complicated and therefore not user friendly. Blender may do things differently from the mainstream paid software suites, that doesn't mean its interface is inherently worse.

lightworks was intuitive AF and so was Vegas, Blender i could never use for anything but very basic shit and even then i had to doubble check everything because the menus made no sense to me. anyway its been a while since i used it so maybe its better now lol

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

14 minutes ago, Sauron said:

Yeah but you're comparing Blender to Movie Maker (and by extension, other "simple" editors like iMovie). If it's significantly more difficult to use, because it's aimed at pro level work, then it's not really on the same level, and is a bad recommendation for people who just need easy software to get the job done.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

9 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

Yeah but you're comparing Blender to Movie Maker (and by extension, other "simple" editors like iMovie). If it's significantly more difficult to use, because it's aimed at pro level work, then it's not really on the same level, and is a bad recommendation for people who just need easy software to get the job done.

That's true, I was just contesting the idea that it's "unusable". I did say it wasn't intuitive. I wish they'd port kdenlive to windows for that

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

On 2017-5-12 at 5:41 AM, Mooshi said:

Wooo, more anime music videos with ugly blue title cards

those are xp / vista wmm. win 7 comes with win essential w/ win live movie maker (later ommited live in name) that uses black/white as default

9 hours ago, Bleedingyamato said:

Blue isn't ugly...  ? lol

yes

I actually welcome this and am not surprised one bit.  When i was watching the review of their all in one that was geared toward content creators i knew a Movie Maker replacement was likely in the cards.

Movie maker was good for what it was; which is an introduction into video editing.  Just enough to get you started with a little(i do mean "a little") extra for you to be somewhat creative should you want. I hope the replacement is essentially similar in premise but with some extra tools that help bridge the gap between the freebie editors and the lower priced paid options. 

49 minutes ago, deXxterlab97 said:

yes

Ummm..  yes what?

(Are you back or is this your ghost haunting LTT?  ?)

2 hours ago, LAwLz said:

criticism is fine,  but some of the comments here go beyond criticism.  What does vista and ME have to do with a movie maker replacement no one has used yet?  Oh yeah,  no one has used it yet, so What are they criticizing exactly?  

Having a dig at defender for having a security flaw is fine, (even ironic, thus funny and deserved)

Being concerned about telemetry is fine,

not being happy with the performance or features of edge is fine.

Not being happy with forced updates integrated into the OS is fine

BUT

Insinuating a program not even released yet is going to be shit because it is MS is childish. 

It's o.k to say this likely is average (lot's of free programs are) or to point out the flaws, because that is legitimate criticism/advice from a historical perspective and use,  but to talk about final cut pro and premiere pro in the same sentence while using terms like "half baked garbage", then the criticizer has missed the point of the software in the first place.  I highly doubt MS intend this to be a replacement for final cut pro.    How would you treat my opinions  if I said ubuntu was half baked garbage  compared to an enterprise version of windows server?  Hardly a fair comparison at all is it? 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

11 hours ago, mr moose said:

criticism is fine,  but some of the comments here go beyond criticism.

Totally agree with that.

Calling it half-baked garbage or saying that Vegas or Premier will be better is missing the point. Not arguing that.

It's just that the way I interpreted your post you were basically saying "you should never complain about a free program, because nobody is forcing you to use it", which I disagree with.

But I think for example the criticism and concerns I highlighted are valid. In case you missed them, here is a summary.

1) I think Microsoft is focusing on the wrong things. They should not spend time and effort building in 3D modeling, VR support and such features because that's not the appeal of Movie Maker. It should just be a small and simple video editing program.

2) Making it Windows 10 only (this is an assumption) would be a bad move since Movie Maker was not tied to a specific OS, and I really don't see any technical reason why they would limit the number of computers it can work on.

3) Cloud and video editing does not go well together. It just uses so much data and it will be slow and clunky. Hopefully you can turn the cloud stuff off though.

4) Microsoft has already said that they will integrate Groove and such services into it, so my guess is that it will be full of "ads" for other Microsoft products. Like how Office defaults to saving to OneDrive in order to encourage users to use that.

I think all four of these are valid concerns and/or criticisms, even if the program is free and "you don't have to use it".

6 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

Totally agree with that.

Calling it half-baked garbage or saying that Vegas or Premier will be better is missing the point. Not arguing that.

It's just that the way I interpreted your post you were basically saying "you should never complain about a free program, because nobody is forcing you to use it", which I disagree with.

But I think for example the criticism and concerns I highlighted are valid. In case you missed them, here is a summary.

1) I think Microsoft is focusing on the wrong things. They should not spend time and effort building in 3D modeling, VR support and such features because that's not the appeal of Movie Maker. It should just be a small and simple video editing program.

2) Making it Windows 10 only (this is an assumption) would be a bad move since Movie Maker was not tied to a specific OS, and I really don't see any technical reason why they would limit the number of computers it can work on.

3) Cloud and video editing does not go well together. It just uses so much data and it will be slow and clunky. Hopefully you can turn the cloud stuff off though.

4) Microsoft has already said that they will integrate Groove and such services into it, so my guess is that it will be full of "ads" for other Microsoft products. Like how Office defaults to saving to OneDrive in order to encourage users to use that.

I think all four of these are valid concerns and/or criticisms, even if the program is free and "you don't have to use it".

TBH It wasn't your post that spurred me to comment. There were two other posts here that just went beyond legit criticism and read more like "I hate MS and here's another opportunity for me to whinge".  

Personally I'll wait and see how it works before passing comment,  it may well be as horrid as you envisage, but it also may end being that you can just do the things you want and ignore the cloud based stuff and other app integrations. 

P.S they would limit it to win 10 only because that's what they want everyone on,  it's free,  they make no money so they losing nothing by limiting its use.

• 1 month later...
On 12/5/2017 at 10:46 AM, RedRound2 said:

Right. Microsoft Sway was an app with a lot of potential, but wow it's probably the worst program I've ever used. I really don't have much hope since Microsoft has a unique way of screwing things up

I really doubt it. All they really need to do is build a down to earth basic video editor and build on it. But from history, Microsoft will make some weird shit that wouldn't work half of the time

Or, shit that works MOST of the time but is a PAID SERVICE

On 15/05/2017 at 8:02 PM, GoodBytes said:

But, isn't the saying goes: Beggars can't be choosers?

Nobody begged for Windows 10 - it was forced upon everybody via many deceptive and disregarding ways.

Edited by TheRandomness
Removed offensive line.

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

Please don't necropost unless you have something of importance to say that affects everyone / most people here, like a big update, or big change, or an update to a situation.