New Star Wars RPG in development

Humbug

For many of us Knights of the Old Republic has provided some of our fondest gaming memories. Star Wars nerds in particular cherished the opportunity to go deep into the universe that they love and interact with the lore in a manner which no other genre allows you to do. Even the turn based combat turned out to be surprisingly fun and tactical. Later on Bioware moved on to the MMORPG star wars the old republic because it offered the potential for a more lucrative monetization model compared with a traditional single player game. But fans never stopped clamoring for another KOTOR style singleplayer game.

The new game will take place in the new cannon universe (post Disney take over) and at this point it is unclear whether it will be set in the old republic or with a timeline closer to that of the motion pictures. The canonization of the previous KOTOR games also remains a possibility with Revan having almost being made canon on at lease one previous occasion.

Some things we can safely assume are

-the game will use the frostbite engine

-expect the Bioware formula for the core gameplay loop (ala KOTOR, Dragon Age, Mass Effect)

-expect a focus on world building and player choices which are areas that Bioware traditionally focus on and synergise perfectly with the star wars universe

-this being 2017 we can expect a modern combat system. In the Mass Effect franchise we have seen the combat system get stronger with every game from ME1 to ME andromeda. Similarly for this game do not expect any more turn based systems, it will be more dynamic.

-A lightsaber melee combat system is something that would be expected, but is not easy to do right, they will have to experiment and prototype the shit out of this.

Notice- This is not the thread for band-wagoning against bioware. Post your memes elsewhere.

BioWare Austin are prototyping a Star Wars: KotOR game, says prominent industry leaker

There’s a new Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic in the works, according to a prominent industry leaker. Whether it’s entirely new or some kind of remaster of the original is up for debate, but BioWare have apparently been prototyping it for a while.

The news was reported via Liam Robertson’s excellent Patreon page, in which he uncovers details on abandoned and upcoming videogames. In a Patreon exclusive podcast, via NeoGaf, Robertson reveals that BioWare Austin are now focused on creating Star Wars games.  “I’ve learned now that [BioWare Austin is] pretty much now exclusively working on Star Wars games and they’re going to be doing that for the indefinite future,” he said. “What they’re currently working on right now - and I have this on good authority - is a sort of remake/revival of Knights of the Old Republic.”

However, the state of the game isn’t known. It’s unclear if the scope has expanded or not. “I don’t know when this is set to come out, but it has been in development for a little while now,” he explained. “I don’t really know how that game’ll end up. I’ve heard that it isn’t exactly a remake anymore, but it started as a remake/revival. Now it’s kind of going from that blueprint in sort of its own original thing. I guess we’ll see what that turns out to be, but they are prototyping it right now.”

Robertson has previous on leaks like this. He was the first to break the news of Scalebound's cancellation, for example. Elsewhere, Robertson also broke the news of Middle Earth; Shadow of War's announcement before anywhere else. 

https://www.pcgamesn.com/star-wars-knights-of-the-old-republic-3-kotor-3

5214598-%3D%3D%3D%3D%3D%3D%3D%3D%3D%3D%3

Bro.

****KOTOR FANBOY MODE ENGAGED****

This literally made my freaking day.

Thank you.

Better dead than Red.

Pheonix

---------------

CPU: i5 2500k @ 4.6ghz Mobo: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 RAM: G.Skill 16gb of DDR3 @ 1600mhz GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1060 6gb Extreme Gaming PSU: EVGA 700B Storage: 480GB SP SSD and a 960GB Ultra II Sandisk. Cooler: Cryorig H7 Case: Phanteks P400. 

Ooooooooh fuck ya bud.

CPU: Intel i7 - 5820k @ 4.5GHz, Cooler: Corsair H80i, Motherboard: MSI X99S Gaming 7, RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB DDR4 2666MHz CL16,

GPU: ASUS GTX 980 Strix, Case: Corsair 900D, PSU: Corsair AX860i 860W, Keyboard: Logitech G19, Mouse: Corsair M95, Storage: Intel 730 Series 480GB SSD, WD 1.5TB Black

Display: BenQ XL2730Z 2560x1440 144Hz

Can't wait to see what will come out. 

My stuff:

Spoiler

CPU :  Intel i5 8400 | GPU : MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4GB

RAM : 32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 @ 3600MHz

Mouse : Logitech G502 HERO SE | Keyboard : Mountain Everest Max w/ Cherry MX Brown

Headset : Beyerdynamics DT990 Pro 250Ω w/ AT2020USB+

Monitor : Acer XF240H @  144Hz

as long as sony SOE doesn't buy it out the game after launch it will last and be good . and yes i know sony doesn't own SOE anymore , its a joke

main rig

Spoiler

corsair 750d | evga 1000w g2 | Gigabyte x99 soc champ | 5820k 4.0GHz | 1tb wd blue | 250gb samsung 840 evo  | Crucial Ballistix Sport XT 16GB 8x2 DDR4-2400 | MSI GTX 970 x2 | monitor Acer B286HK 28" 4K | razor chroma blackwidow  | razor death adder chroma

CENTOS 7 SERVER (PLEX&docker stuff)

Spoiler

NZXT s220 | evga 500w 80+ | AMD FX 8320e | ASUS M5A78L-M/USB3 | 2x8gb non ecc ddr3 WD red 2TBx2 | seagate 160gb microcenter 8gb flashdrive OS

1 minute ago, huilun02 said:

Are they gona screw up the facial animations again?

I hope not. And it better not be a dumb concept like The old republic online game. Or just plain unfinished like KOTOR2.

I have never payed 60USD for a game in my life, but for this, I just might.

Better dead than Red.

Pheonix

---------------

CPU: i5 2500k @ 4.6ghz Mobo: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 RAM: G.Skill 16gb of DDR3 @ 1600mhz GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1060 6gb Extreme Gaming PSU: EVGA 700B Storage: 480GB SP SSD and a 960GB Ultra II Sandisk. Cooler: Cryorig H7 Case: Phanteks P400. 

2 minutes ago, JR8 said:

Or just plain unfinished like KOTOR2.

KOTOR2 was made by obsidian, not bioware. It was actually really strong for the first half but then got weaker cause they ran out of time.

You can play it today with the missing contents mod and it's a good experience.

Just now, Humbug said:

KOTOR2 was made by obsidian, not bioware. It was actually really strong for the first half but then got weaker cause they ran out of time.

You can play it today with the missing contents mod and it's a good experience.

I never did download the mod. Guess i'll have to try it out as I replay both games in anticipation of this release. :D 

Better dead than Red.

Pheonix

---------------

8 minutes ago, huilun02 said:

Are they gona screw up the facial animations again?

Wrong branch of BioWare.

IS that the secret SW game we heard half a year ago?

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

1 minute ago, Bouzoo said:

IS that the secret SW game we heard half a year ago?

that is a more unchartered type game being developed by Visceral. Not really KOTOR style.

To be honest you can be sure that disney has commissioned multiple star wars games which we have yet to hear about. There's a lot of money in it...

6 minutes ago, Humbug said:

that is a more unchartered type game being developed by Visceral. Not really KOTOR style.

To be honest you can be sure that disney has commissioned multiple star wars games which we have yet to hear about. There's a lot of money in it...

Yeah. Star Wars should get whore of the year award for many years to come.

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

I am a HUGE star wars nerd. Kotor was 1 of if not THE best RPG I ever played, and I have played a metric Sh*t ton of RPGs. That it was star wars made it sweeter, but seriously don't get my hopes up, my heart can't take this abuse :D

I would rather agree on what we share, than fight on what we don't. - Myself

FULL PC SPECS ON PROFILE https://linustechtips.com/main/profile/454099-thinkfreely/

OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG

Project White Lightning (My ITX Gaming PC): Core i5-4690K | CRYORIG H5 Ultimate | ASUS Maximus VII Impact | HyperX Savage 2x8GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Black 1TB | Sapphire RX 480 8GB NITRO+ OC | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ITX | Corsair AX760 | LG 29UM67 | CM Storm Quickfire Ultimate | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | HyperX Cloud II | Logitech Z333

Benchmark Results: 3DMark Firestrike: 10,528 | SteamVR VR Ready (avg. quality 7.1) | VRMark 7,004 (VR Ready)

Other systems I've built:

Core i3-6100 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI H110M ECO | Corsair Vengeance LPX 1x8GB DDR4  | ADATA SP550 120GB | Seagate 500GB | EVGA ACX 2.0 GTX 1050 Ti | Fractal Design Core 1500 | Corsair CX450M

Core i5-4590 | Intel Stock Cooler | Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI | HyperX Savage 2x4GB DDR3 | Seagate 500GB | Intel Integrated HD Graphics | Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 | be quiet! Pure Power L8 350W

I am not a professional. I am not an expert. I am just a smartass. Don't try and blame me if you break something when acting upon my advice.

...why are you still reading this?

After SimCity, Battlefront, Andromeda (which wasn't all that bad but still not as good as the first Mass Effect's), Plants vs Zombies 2, and both Garden Warfare games, Dragon Age 2, and their failure to return to the point of Dragon Age in Inquisition, I'm going to keep my expectations below zero and still probably be disappointed

1 hour ago, Humbug said:

Notice- This is not the thread for band-wagoning against bioware. Post your memes elsewhere.

Well they aren't the bioware of old, so despite the fact the hate they've received as of late is hyperbolic expecting them to make games as impactful as their early works is also a skewed view

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

1 hour ago, Humbug said:

-expect the Bioware formula for the core gameplay loop (ala KOTOR, Dragon Age, Mass Effect)

Well in record time, I'm fucking out: KOTOR wasn't a bad game per se but it was definitively the beginning of a steady decline for Bioware. If they would make it as good as the original KOTOR then it might have some merit but it will more likely be later Mass Effect levels of fucking shit.

Just forget Bioware, it's just a hollow, rotten fucking corpse in the process of being digested by EA nothing good can come out of them anymore.

-------

Current Rig

-------

3 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

Well in record time, I'm fucking out: KOTOR wasn't a bad game per se but it was definitively the beginning of a steady decline for Bioware. If they would make it as good as the original KOTOR then it might have some merit but it will more likely be later Mass Effect levels of fucking shit.

Just forget Bioware, it's just a hollow, rotten fucking corpse in the process of being digested by EA nothing good can come out of them anymore.

Last really quality game they made was the second Mass Effect, every franchise I've liked that EA got a hold of I now either hate or have zero interest in;  they ruin franchises by gutting them for a quick buck then wonder why no one likes them.

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

3 minutes ago, AresKrieger said:

Well they aren't the bioware of old, so despite the fact the hate they've received as of late is hyperbolic expecting them to make games as impactful as their early works is also a skewed view

Well for me Mass Effect 2 and 3 have a very special place in my heart. They gave me some experiences I will never forget.  And refined some of the weaknesses which dragged down the original game. Stuff like curing the genophage in ME3 for me was unparalleled. I am not a person who can relate to people who say the ending ruined everything because for me it's about the journey. For me I like Mass Effect Andromeda as well but I just started it so I need to play more to see the flaws.

Anyway your opinion is fine, I just put that note so that this thread doesn't become another one to vent against bioware for facial animations in andromeda which is off topic...

I hope they will leave the SJW crap out.

Spoiler

Quiet Whirl | CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Mobo: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3200 Mhz Graphics card: MSI GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER GAMING X TRIO PSU: Corsair RMx Series RM550x Case: Be quiet! Pure Base 600

Buffed HPHP ProBook 430 G4 | CPU: Intel Core i3-7100U RAM: 4GB DDR4 2133Mhz GPU: Intel HD 620 SSD: Some 128GB M.2 SATA

Retired:

Melting plastic | Lenovo IdeaPad Z580 | CPU: Intel Core i7-3630QM RAM: 8GB DDR3 GPU: nVidia GeForce GTX 640M HDD: Western Digital 1TB

The Roaring Beast | CPU: Intel Core i5 4690 (BCLK @ 104MHz = 4,05GHz) Cooler: Akasa X3 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97-D3H RAM: Kingston 16GB DDR3 (2x8GB) Graphics card: Gigabyte GTX 970 4GB (Core: +130MHz, Mem: +230MHz) SSHD: Seagate 1TB SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500GB HHD: WD Red 4TB PSU: Fractal Design Essence 500W Case: Zalman Z11 Plus

I'm just hoping for a GOOD battlefront game.

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

18 minutes ago, Jack_of_all_Trades said:

Not a new Jedi Knight , sigh, maybe one day when they really have nothing else left.

They'll need to remember how to make a proper first person shooter before they attempt it

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

32 minutes ago, Jack_of_all_Trades said:

Not a new Jedi Knight , sigh, maybe one day when they really have nothing else left.

Well actually a lot of jedi knight gameplay mechanics could possibly make it in.

But the jedi knight story and timeline itself cannot be incorporated into the new canon.