Galaxy S8 and S8 plus officially unveiled

AG1233

After months of leaks we finally get a official look at the galaxy S8 and S8 plus.

SPECS

Processor-

US: Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 Octa core (2.35 GHz Quad + 1.yGHZ Quad)

International: Samsung Exynos Octa core (2.35 GHz Quad + 1.9GHZ Quad) 

Display-

Galaxy S8: 5.8-inch OLED, 2960 x 1440, 570ppi

Galaxy S8 Plus: 6.2-inch OLED, 2960 x 1440, 529ppi

Camera-

Rear: 12-megapixel, OIS, F1.7

Front: 8-megapixel, auto focus, F1.7

Batteries-

Galaxy S8: 3,000 mAh

Galaxy S8 Plus: 3,500 mAh

Dimensions-

Galaxy S8: 148.9 x 68.1 x 8 mm, 155g

Galaxy S8 Plus: 159.5 x 73.4 x 8.1 mm, 173g

Memory-

64gb UFS 2.1 along with expandable storage.

Other Specs-

Android 7.0 Nougat

USB-C, 3.5mm headphone jack

NFC and MST for Samsung Pay

IP68 water and dust resistant

Wireless charging

LTE Cat.16

Bluetooth 5.0, can stream to two devices

The only thing I find disappointing in the specs is the battery.They could have probably got a better battery in there but I guess after the Note 7 fiasco they decided to play it safe.

DESIGN

Both the Galaxy S8 and S8 Plus feature curved edges on the left and right sides of the displays. These curves are much more subdued compared to the curvature found on the S7 Edge, and are also complemented by curves on the back of the handset. Samsung says both handsets provide a “natural fit in one hand”, and we’d have to agree.

Due to the curved displays, there’s barely any amount of noticeable bezel on the left and right sides of the device. You’ll also notice that the top and bottom bezels have been shrunk down quite a bit this time around, leading to what’s perhaps the most controversial design decision Samsung made with these smartphones: after all these years, Samsung has moved away from capacitive buttons and instead included software navigation buttons on the S8 and S8 Plus.

I really like the design of the phone but its a bummer for the people who don't like curved screen.

Also these phones are the first "mobile HDR" phones according to Samsung.

CAMERA

The S8 and S8 Plus are also seeing a pretty decent upgrade in the camera department. They feature 12 MP Dual Pixel main sensors with an f/1.7 aperture, while the front-facing sensors are seeing an upgrade to 8 MP. While that might not seem like a huge upgrade on the spec sheet, Samsung says the way both phones handle processing is the real kicker.

On both the front and the rear cameras, the phones will actually take three pictures at a time and use two of them to sharpen up the final image. We haven’t had a huge chance to check this out quite yet, but needless to say we’re excited to check it out.

Oh, and for those moments when you’re trying to take a photo with one hand, Samsung has included a neat one-handed zoom feature in the camera apps this time around.

EXTRA FEATURES

Bixby

Now, we all know AI and voice assistants are the future. Google Assistant has just made its way to most Android devices out there, the Huawei Mate 9 just got its Amazon Alexa update, and Samsung is debuting its own virtual assistant on the Galaxy S8 and S8 Plus called Bixby. Samsung actually announced Bixby over a week ago, claiming that the new assistant would stand out from competing AI-based assistants through three main factors – completeness, context awareness, and cognitive tolerance.

That all sounds great, but what can it do? Samsung gave us a few examples, which includes being able to recognize images in the camera app, photo gallery, and high-res web photos when using the Samsung browser. Once Bixby recognizes an object, it will offer up contextual information like web and shopping results.

Samsung Dex

Samsung also announced its own Microsoft Continuum-like solution for the desktop called Samsung DeX. DeX is a docking station that hooks up to a display, and uses the phone’s processing power for a mobile computing experience. You can also hook up a mouse and a keyboard to the dock, allowing you to have a much smoother multitasking experience.

As far as the dock is concerned, it comes with two USB 2.0 ports, one HDMI port, a USB Type-C port, and an integrated cooling fan.

Some more extra information are the phone's are IP68 rated, and they will come with Android Nougat 7.0 out of the box.It's a bummer that 7.1 isn't available at launch.A news gear VR is also coming out with the phone which you get as a bonus for pre-order along with a controller.

Also you get AKG earbuds in the box which are also sold separately for 99$

Price & Availability 

The phones are launching at April 21 and preorders are starting March 30th on the US.The S8 is available at 750$ whereas the S8 is available for 850$(I only found a article from Verge regarding the pricing)

I really like the Galaxy S8 now time to wait for the reviews,whats your Opinion on the phone.

Source-

http://www.androidauthority.com/samsung-galaxy-s8-release-date-price-specs-features-725245/

http://www.theverge.com/2017/3/29/15087530/samsung-galaxy-s8-announced-features-release-date-video-specifications

https://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2017/3/29/15097430/samsung-galaxy-s8-price-announced-verizon-att-sprint-tmobile

http://www.samsung.com/global/galaxy/galaxy-s8/specs/

Samsung-Galaxy-S8-home-screen-840x472.jpg

This phone is going to be ridiculously expensive

Mark my word on this

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K 8C/16T @ 5.2GHz All Cores -- CPU Cooler: EK AIO 360 D-RGB 

Motherboard: ASUS ROG STRIX Z490-F Gaming -- RAM: G-Skill Trident Z 32GB (16x2) DDR4-3000 

SSD#1: Samsung PM981 256GB -- HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB -- GPU: ASUS TUF GAMING RTX 3080 10GB OC MSI GTX 1070 Duke

PSU: FSP Hydro G Pro 850W -- Case: Corsair 275R Airflow Black

Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG27AQ 1440p 165Hz -- Keyboard: Ducky Shine 7 Cherry MX Brown -- Mouse: Logitech G304 K/DA Limited Edition

Phone: iPhone 12 Pro Max 256GB

Headphones: Sony WH-1000XM4 / Apple AirPods 2

Laptop: MacBook Air 2020 M1 8-core CPU / 7-core GPU | 8GB RAM | 256GB SSD

TV: LG B9 OLED TV | Sony HT-X9000F Soundbar

1 minute ago, SeraphicWings said:

This phone is going to be ridiculously expensive

Mark my word on this

Leaks suggested 750$ for the basic price I am hoping it won't be more than 800$.

Also note you get AKG earbuds with it in the box which are apparently sold separate for 99 USD. 

On 11/19/2014 at 2:14 PM, Syntaxvgm said:
You would think Ubisoft would support the Bulldozer based architectures more given their digging themed names like bulldozer, Piledriver, Steamroller and Excavator.

1 minute ago, AG1233 said:

Leaks suggested 750$ for the basic price I am hoping it won't be more than 800$.

It's 800 Euro's soo lmao it's higher or similar to that.

On 11/19/2014 at 2:14 PM, Syntaxvgm said:
You would think Ubisoft would support the Bulldozer based architectures more given their digging themed names like bulldozer, Piledriver, Steamroller and Excavator.

This seems quite a bit different from the s7 and s6 in terms of design... I'm curious to see just how good it is in terms of battery life, since that was one of the huge improvements Samsung had with the s7 that many people liked.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

1 minute ago, Arcanekitten said:

Also note you get AKG earbuds with it in the box which are apparently sold separate for 99 USD. 

What the heck???? 

They are selling those earbuds in Vietnam for like $15, and it came from the Samsung factory there, rofl

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K 8C/16T @ 5.2GHz All Cores -- CPU Cooler: EK AIO 360 D-RGB 

Motherboard: ASUS ROG STRIX Z490-F Gaming -- RAM: G-Skill Trident Z 32GB (16x2) DDR4-3000 

SSD#1: Samsung PM981 256GB -- HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB -- GPU: ASUS TUF GAMING RTX 3080 10GB OC MSI GTX 1070 Duke

Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG27AQ 1440p 165Hz -- Keyboard: Ducky Shine 7 Cherry MX Brown -- Mouse: Logitech G304 K/DA Limited Edition

1 minute ago, Arcanekitten said:

Oh yeah forgot to add that thanks :D 

I hear the pricing is going to be stupid high for them.

I think the Samsung hype has sort of died down and the Edge variants feel terrible.

People seem to branch out to other Android phones quite often (including myself getting a mid range, at the time, chinese phone).
I think in the long run, Apple has a stronger business case simply because only iphones have (proper/reliable) IOS but Android have several reliable phone companies.

Not claiming to be an expert but I wouldn't buy Samsung shares any time soon :D

RIP everyone's wallet. It is going to be like an extra $50 a month to your phone line...

GPU: XFX RX 7900 XTX

CPU: Ryzen 7 7800X3D

I'm still confused about the rounded corners on the screen

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

2960 x 1440

WHY!

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

Want to custom loop?  Ask me more if you are curious

ooooooh purty

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

I've said this before, I'll say it again:

For an actual cellphone (under 6-inch), 1440P nets you zero visual benefits over 1080P. Want 1440P? Get a tablet then.

Also anything with a screen size exceeding 6 inches is classified as a tablet. Using such devices as smartphones is absolutely moronic.

Read the community standards; it's like a guide on how to not be a moron.

Gerdauf's Law: Each and every human being, without exception, is the direct carbon copy of the types of people that he/she bitterly opposes.

Remember, calling facts opinions does not ever make the facts opinions, no matter what nonsense you pull.

So expensive. But wow is that a beautiful phone.

Pixelbook Go i5 Pixel 4 XL 

14 minutes ago, SeraphicWings said:

What the heck???? 

They are selling those earbuds in Vietnam for like $15, and it came from the Samsung factory there, rofl

Does apple airbuds sound familar

They stuck with the same finger print placement shown in the rumours as well, so that's great!

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

I've found in some source that the S8 will support DSD music files (DSF and DFF)

This opens for the posibility of having premium-grade DAC, but then again, Sony can do it too and they use Qualcomm's 

We'll have to see this through

Holy crap about the 10nm process though, didn't Intel just announce 10nm like literally today ?

Home PC:

CPU: i7 4790s ~ Motherboard: Asus B85M-E ~ RAM: 32GB Ballistix Sport DDR3 1666 ~ GPU: Sapphire R9 390 Nitro ~ Case: Corsair Carbide Spec-03 ~ Storage: Kingston Predator 240GB   PCIE M.2 Boot, 2TB HDD, 3x 480GB SATA SSD's in RAID 0 ~ PSU:    Corsair CX600
Display(s): Asus PB287Q , Generic Samsung 1080p 22" ~ Cooling: Arctic T3 Air Cooler, All case fans replaced with Noctua NF-B9 Redux's ~ Keyboard: Logitech G810 Orion ~ Mouse: Cheap Microsoft Wired (i like it) ~ Sound: Radial Pro USB DAC into 250w Powered Speakers ~ Operating System: Windows 10 Enterprise x64

Work PC:

CPU: Intel Xeon E3 1275 v3 ~ Motherboard: Asrock E3C226D2I ~ RAM: 16GB DDR3 ~ GPU: GTX 460 ~ Case: Silverstone SG05 ~ Storage: 512GB SATA SSD ~ Displays: 3x1080p 24" mix and matched Dell monitors plus a 10" 1080p lilliput monitor above ~ Operating System: Windows 10 Enterprise x64

Well well. Looks like LG has their work cut out for them. Again. Though people who like to take pictures do find LG's camera setup more compelling.

On both the front and the rear cameras, the phones will actually take three pictures at a time and use two of them to sharpen up the final image. We haven’t had a huge chance to check this out quite yet, but needless to say we’re excited to check it out.

That also looks like its doing super-resolution.

11 minutes ago, Castdeath97 said:

2960 x 1440

WHY!

To annoy people like you.

1 minute ago, DnFx91 said:

Holy crap about the 10nm process though, didn't Intel just announce 10nm like literally today ?

Samsung apparently has had mass production capable 10nm since October.

SoC's tend to get smaller nodes first though.