Galaxy S8 and S8 plus officially unveiled

AG1233

Why are people complaining so much about aspect ratio?

Like FFS, they wanted to get rid of bezels which were only on the top and bottom so they did added more screen. Yeah it adds black bars on the sides but it also decreases horizontal black bars in 90% of movies. They are just making use of dead space.

Like what do people want to get back to 16:9? Make the phone wider? Please god no.

Looks nice and has excellent specs, but its software, costumer support and repair services are still gonna be really awful.

Groomlake Authority

I could have sworn that the S7 was only announced, like, three days ago... were phone generations always this short?

Project White Lightning (My ITX Gaming PC): Core i5-4690K | CRYORIG H5 Ultimate | ASUS Maximus VII Impact | HyperX Savage 2x8GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Black 1TB | Sapphire RX 480 8GB NITRO+ OC | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ITX | Corsair AX760 | LG 29UM67 | CM Storm Quickfire Ultimate | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | HyperX Cloud II | Logitech Z333

Benchmark Results: 3DMark Firestrike: 10,528 | SteamVR VR Ready (avg. quality 7.1) | VRMark 7,004 (VR Ready)

Other systems I've built:

Core i3-6100 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI H110M ECO | Corsair Vengeance LPX 1x8GB DDR4  | ADATA SP550 120GB | Seagate 500GB | EVGA ACX 2.0 GTX 1050 Ti | Fractal Design Core 1500 | Corsair CX450M

Core i5-4590 | Intel Stock Cooler | Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI | HyperX Savage 2x4GB DDR3 | Seagate 500GB | Intel Integrated HD Graphics | Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 | be quiet! Pure Power L8 350W

I am not a professional. I am not an expert. I am just a smartass. Don't try and blame me if you break something when acting upon my advice.

...why are you still reading this?

1 hour ago, SeraphicWings said:

This phone is going to be ridiculously expensive

Mark my word on this

Its £690 for the S8 and £780 for the S8+ here in the UK

Needs money for car parts :P

System specs: Core i7 9700k, Dark Rock Pro 4 , MSI Z390 PRO, 16GB CORSAIR VENGENCE DDR4 3000, EVGA GTX 1070 FTW, Corsair AX860, Seagate 1TB, Sandisk 240GB SSD, Corsair 400c

My Steam Profile (from SteamDB)

• Worth: £654 (£221 with sales)
  • Games owned: 62
  • Games played: 52 (83%)
  • Hours on record: 2,980.7h

2 minutes ago, ThinkWithPortals said:

I could have sworn that the S7 was only announced, like, three days ago... were phone generations always this short?

Nope they have always been 1 year S7 was announced 12 March,2016

2 minutes ago, ThinkWithPortals said:

Well apple did release like 3 different gen phones within 1 year before so yeah I guess lol

Needs money for car parts :P

System specs: Core i7 9700k, Dark Rock Pro 4 , MSI Z390 PRO, 16GB CORSAIR VENGENCE DDR4 3000, EVGA GTX 1070 FTW, Corsair AX860, Seagate 1TB, Sandisk 240GB SSD, Corsair 400c

My Steam Profile (from SteamDB)

• Worth: £654 (£221 with sales)
  • Games owned: 62
  • Games played: 52 (83%)
  • Hours on record: 2,980.7h

1 hour ago, Castdeath97 said:

2960 x 1440

WHY!

Because its 18:9, but more to the point, because fuck battery life. 

Windows 10 Edu | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | Ryzen 9 3950x | 4x 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB| ROG Strix GeForce® RTX 2080 SUPER™ Advanced edition | Samsung 980 PRO 500GB + Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB + 8TB Seagate Barracuda | EVGA Supernova 650 G2 | Alienware AW3418DW + LG 34uc87c + Dell u3419w | Asus Zephyrus G14

nice! i am liking the specs , phone looks good too design wise

Details separate people.

Unless the new One Plus delivers, I think this will be my next upgrade. The normal version. 

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

Blue? No blue? But why?

2 hours ago, AG1233 said:

Samsung Dex

That's my name!

I kinda wished it to have 6gigs of RAM, more of an enthusiasts, so more is better for me. 

-- BSOD : ( --

1 hour ago, VerticalDiscussions said:

Looks nice and has excellent specs, but its software, costumer support and repair services are still gonna be really awful.

I have high hopes with software this time, also, in my region samsung nails in customer service.

2 minutes ago, Zackbare said:

-snip-

You should try Portuguese repair services. They will take your logic board of the phone, use a hammer and a pick to induce a puncture on your Note 4 ^^ (they did that to me it would seem .-.) or use 30 cents adhesive to keep your display connected to the internal frame and it will fall of in a week (they did that to me too xD).

At least my current phone is still working, but id rather JerryRig that thing myself than use these piece of dung of a repair service ever again.

Groomlake Authority

I'm looking for a phone this coming may, so I'll be looking at this as an option. 

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

1 hour ago, mynameisjuan said:

And refresh rate should be no higher that 24fps because that is human eye limits right? 

I dont know about you but I can tell the difference pretty easily. Especially on content that takes full use of the extra pixels. 

Do not take my statement out of context. There are practical finite limits of what amount of details a person can see in an image based on distance from image, image quality, image size, the person's eyesight, and the person's perception of the image (AKA placebo). Beyond such limits is where the law of diminishing returns slaps you in the face. This mentality that biology has none of the limits that electronics have is complete nonsense. Frame rate is the same thing, except the finite limit is ~240-250FPS.

inb4 8-inch smartphones become then norm... bleh!

Read the community standards; it's like a guide on how to not be a moron.

Gerdauf's Law: Each and every human being, without exception, is the direct carbon copy of the types of people that he/she bitterly opposes.

Remember, calling facts opinions does not ever make the facts opinions, no matter what nonsense you pull.

1 minute ago, VerticalDiscussions said:

Whenever I get wrecking service like this, I look for the complaint mail in the receipt or token, they always have that, just put in a mail there, and the service center is rekt. The servicehead really takes those mail seriously, I tried that with HP and Amazon.  

1 minute ago, Zackbare said:

Whenever I get wrecking service like this, I look for the complaint mail in the receipt or token, they always have that, just put in a mail there, and the service center is rekt. The servicehead really takes those mail seriously, I tried that with HP and Amazon.  

I also did that with McD (I know mcd is shit, that's not the point), but instead of mailing, I tweeted to them and guess what, got free meal for two and a tour of their kitchen.

51 minutes ago, Scruffy90 said:

Because its 18:9, but more to the point, because fuck battery life. 

People do realize that it really doesnt affect battery as much as they think it do right? People have physically swapped screens in devices with 1440p with a 1080 screen and only noticed like 10 extra mins after test. 

4 minutes ago, Zackbare said:

-snip-

Well i had bought the phone through an authorized retailer and the store of purchase was the one handling the process. I did send a complaint to Samsung Decsis and they said they would "investigate" the issue. From there and onward, i got no replies by email and i wasnt notifying the store for that because they were unreliable and by the time the phone arrived to me, it had been 1 month after i sent to repair and since i sent it 5 times, 5 months of repairs, handling, transportation, delivering...

I wanted to use the complaints book, but the store told me the responsability was no longer with them as soon as i signed the complaint and i was like "Mega wtf". Consumer defense wasnt very helpful either, i got stuck with a sloth of a dude which altough seemed to want to help, his phone chats and negotation attempts with the store were a complete failure. Took some really big folks to get this whole snowball fixed and it took over half a year to be so...

Groomlake Authority

Just now, mynameisjuan said:

People do realize that it really doesnt affect battery as much as they think it do right? People have physically swapped screens in devices with 1440p with a 1080 screen and only noticed like 10 extra mins after test. 

I don't think that works like that, the phone would still be rendering at 1440p, so it needs whole hardware and software changes.