Galaxy S8 and S8 plus officially unveiled

AG1233

Oh Look, an LG g6! 

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 
250gb 970 Evo (OS) - 2x500gb 860 Evo (Raid0) - 6x4TB WD Red (RaidZ2)

Synology-NAS:
DS920+
2x4TB Ironwolf - 1x18TB Seagate Exos X20

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 
Klipsch RP280F - Klipsch RP160M - Klipsch RP440C - Yamaha RX-V479

Reviews and Stuff:

GTX 780 DCU2 // 8600GTS // Hifiman HE-400i // Kennerton Magister
Folding all the Proteins! // Boincerino

Useful Links:
Do you need an AMP/DAC? // Recommended Audio Gear // PSU Tier List 

4 minutes ago, Colonel_Gerdauf said:

Do not take my statement out of context. There are practical finite limits of what amount of details a person can see in an image based on distance from image, image quality, image size, the person's eyesight, and the person's perception of the image (AKA placebo). Beyond such limits is where the law of diminishing returns slaps you in the face. This mentality that biology has none of the limits that electronics have is complete nonsense. Frame rate is the same thing, except the finite limit is ~240-250FPS.

inb4 8-inch smartphones become then norm... bleh!

You dont think I know that already? 

There is a noticeable especially when side by side. The problem is when people say it doesnt matter and there is no difference just because they cannot see it. 

1 hour ago, AG1233 said:

Nope they have always been 1 year S7 was announced 12 March,2016

My God, where did the year go...

Project White Lightning (My ITX Gaming PC): Core i5-4690K | CRYORIG H5 Ultimate | ASUS Maximus VII Impact | HyperX Savage 2x8GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Black 1TB | Sapphire RX 480 8GB NITRO+ OC | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ITX | Corsair AX760 | LG 29UM67 | CM Storm Quickfire Ultimate | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | HyperX Cloud II | Logitech Z333

Benchmark Results: 3DMark Firestrike: 10,528 | SteamVR VR Ready (avg. quality 7.1) | VRMark 7,004 (VR Ready)

Other systems I've built:

Core i3-6100 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI H110M ECO | Corsair Vengeance LPX 1x8GB DDR4  | ADATA SP550 120GB | Seagate 500GB | EVGA ACX 2.0 GTX 1050 Ti | Fractal Design Core 1500 | Corsair CX450M

Core i5-4590 | Intel Stock Cooler | Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI | HyperX Savage 2x4GB DDR3 | Seagate 500GB | Intel Integrated HD Graphics | Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 | be quiet! Pure Power L8 350W

I am not a professional. I am not an expert. I am just a smartass. Don't try and blame me if you break something when acting upon my advice.

...why are you still reading this?

Just now, mynameisjuan said:

You dont think I know that already? 

There is a noticeable especially when side by side. The problem is when people say it doesnt matter and there is no difference just because they cannot see it. 

We almost all are enthusiasts here, so for us fps matters hell a lot. Also, some of the people are just not using the phones to full potential and features, so it doesn't matters to them. 

When you're an adult working, phone is not the thing you'd think much off.

-- BSOD : ( --

3 minutes ago, Zackbare said:

I don't think that works like that, the phone would still be rendering at 1440p, so it needs whole hardware and software changes.

Thats what they did. It was a test posted on XDA for one of the LG phones. They replaced the screen and adjusted the resolution in the ROM. The test proved that resolution isnt killing battery as much as people think

If anything this reveal has only made me more confident about pre-ordering the Huawei P10 Plus

My Build:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 4770k GPU: GTX 780 Direct CUII Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Hero SSD: 840 EVO 250GB HDD: 2xSeagate 2 TB PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 650W

1 hour ago, mynameisjuan said:

And refresh rate should be no higher that 24fps because that is human eye limits right? 

I dont know about you but I can tell the difference pretty easily. Especially on content that takes full use of the extra pixels. 

The pixel density on a 1080p phone is already ludicrously high. It's like saying that you should get an 8k monitor right now because you can tell the difference between 4k and 8k. Objectively, 1080p will give you much better performance and battery life at the cost of little pixel density. It's just not practical. Refresh rate is a totally different and the human threshold is not 24 fps. I think the complaints about aspect ratio are legitimate considering that it's just awful from a compatibility standpoint. Browsing in mobile already sucks, do we have to make it worse? 

3 hours ago, Castdeath97 said:

2960 x 1440

WHY!

They do this on every phone that has on screen nav bar. Its 16:9 with a little extra room at the bottom of the screen basically for the navigation bar. Before when they used real buttons it was 16:9 res. On every phone. Now they add extra room for on screen buttons so it doesnt get in the way of the content. 

2 minutes ago, TheCMan said:

They do this on every phone that has on screen nav bar. Its 16:9 with a little extra room at the bottom of the screen basically for the navigation bar. Before when they used real buttons it was 16:9 res. On every phone. Now they add extra room for on screen buttons so it doesnt get in the way of the content. 

Would make sense yeah. Still irritated because it would eat more battery, but I will wait and see.

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

here is what i don't understand. This is the galaxy line. The sizes of the phones are 5.8in and 6.2in. So either really big or really huge. 

This isn't the note series.

1. What happened to the 5.2 in galaxies?

2. Why the HECK would i buy the 5.8 when basically (.4 difference only and both about 6 inches) they are the same size almost and the 6.2  congress with bigger battery. 

Personally there's really fantastic devices out there now ag much cheaper prices and at about 5.2in that are just as good but soooooo much cheaper. $200-$400 instead of $700-$800.

4 minutes ago, Castdeath97 said:

Would make sense yeah. Still irritated because it would eat more battery, but I will wait and see.

Doesn't really take more battery. just a few extra pixels really doesnt. If you need more battery you can go with 1080p in the setting. Thats the big difference. A few extra pixels going length wise doesn't really take more battery.

1 minute ago, TheCMan said:

-snip-

I agree. This phone doesn't bring anything new to the table. There are better options if you are going to spend $700-800 and you can get comparable phones for $400

Just now, TheCMan said:

Doesn't really take more battery. just a few extra pixels really doesnt. If you need more battery you can go with 1080p in the setting. Thats the big difference. A few extra pixels going length wise doesn't really take more battery.

Yeah, don't think it will take much as it is 400 more pixels. 

Pascal laptops guide

1 minute ago, Soonercoop21 said:

I agree. This phone doesn't bring anything new to the table. There are better options if you are going to spend $700-800 and you can get comparable phones for $400

Problem though Samsung ate all the 835 shippings.

Pascal laptops guide

its really strange they killed off the edge and put a curved display on the vanilla ones. Pretty much means I won't ever buy one. I'll wait for the MKBHD vid but the oneplus still seems more enticing to me if I decide to go android when I upgrade. 

Glad to see a headphone jack though. 

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 32GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Logitech G815 / Logitech G502 / Sennheiser HD 599

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / S23 Ultra

15 minutes ago, TheCMan said:

here is what i don't understand. This is the galaxy line. The sizes of the phones are 5.8in and 6.2in. So either really big or really huge. 

This isn't the note series.

1. What happened to the 5.2 in galaxies?

2. Why the HECK would i buy the 5.8 when basically (.4 difference only and both about 6 inches) they are the same size almost and the 6.2  congress with bigger battery. 

Personally there's really fantastic devices out there now ag much cheaper prices and at about 5.2in that are just as good but soooooo much cheaper. $200-$400 instead of $700-$800.

12 minutes ago, Soonercoop21 said:

What phone offers the complete combination of:

Snapdragon/Exynos 8895 level processing performance

Super small bezels

curved display

SD support

1440p OLED HDR Display

USB-C

3.5mm input

Facial Recognition

Fingerprint Scanner

Android N

As far as I see it there's no truly comparable device, especially in relation to how similar most other recent smartphones are.

What better options are available for the same price?

Not the Pixel

Not the G6

Not any snapdragon 821 device or prior

- ASUS X99 Deluxe - i7 5820k - Nvidia GTX 1080ti SLi - 4x4GB EVGA SSC 2800mhz DDR4 - Samsung SM951 500 - 2x Samsung 850 EVO 512 -

- EK Supremacy EVO CPU Block - EK FC 1080 GPU Blocks - EK XRES 100 DDC - EK Coolstream XE 360 - EK Coolstream XE 240 -

3 minutes ago, Castdeath97 said:

Problem though Samsung ate all the 835 shippings.

Why should I care if they have the 835s when the improvements are so marginal over last gen that it's not worth the money. It's just a phone not a workstation.

Man, I wish S8 was smaller like the size of Pixel (5 inches).

S8 and S8+ seems pretty close in size, to the point it takes out the wow factor of S8+. Especially for $100 price difference.  

8 minutes ago, Deletist_Jerk said:

Man, I wish S8 was smaller like the size of Pixel.

S8 and S8+ seems pretty close in size, to the point it takes out the wow factor of S8+. Especially for it's price.  

It's nearly identical in size, and the s8's screen is larger, the s8's bezels are smaller, and the s8's width and depth are thinner ...

Does the half of a centimeter taller really destroy the devices wow factor for you?

http://www.phonearena.com/phones/size/Samsung-Galaxy-S8,Google-Pixel/phones/10311,10264

- ASUS X99 Deluxe - i7 5820k - Nvidia GTX 1080ti SLi - 4x4GB EVGA SSC 2800mhz DDR4 - Samsung SM951 500 - 2x Samsung 850 EVO 512 -

- EK Supremacy EVO CPU Block - EK FC 1080 GPU Blocks - EK XRES 100 DDC - EK Coolstream XE 360 - EK Coolstream XE 240 -

I don't like it, the curved screen corners are horrible, and the top and bottom bezels are a little bit too small, there's not going to be much you can hold on to now without hitting the screen with your hand...

I think I'll just replace my International S7 with a US Unlocked S7 or S7 Edge once I get some money, though I'll probably check out the S8 in person once BestBuy has some display models up and running...

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

4 hours ago, Castdeath97 said:

2960 x 1440

WHY!

So that you can experience this new amazing 18.5 : 9 aspect ratio.

35 minutes ago, TidaLWaveZ said:

It's nearly identical in size, and the s8's screen is larger, the s8's bezels are smaller, and the s8's width and depth are thinner ...

Does the half of a centimeter taller really destroy the devices wow factor for you?

http://www.phonearena.com/phones/size/Samsung-Galaxy-S8,Google-Pixel/phones/10311,10264

I think you're misunderstanding what I said. I'm comparing the S8 to S8+. The only difference I'm seeing in the S8+ the slightly bigger phone with 500 more mAh for $100 premium. Yeah, it takes the wow factor out of the S8+.

And I can see that Pixel isn't that much smaller, but it's because of the huge bezels. Had S8 been a 5 inch screen, it would be a much smaller phone than the Pixel, which is what I'm looking for. 

51 minutes ago, Soonercoop21 said:

Why should I care if they have the 835s when the improvements are so marginal over last gen that it's not worth the money. It's just a phone not a workstation.

2L9uwYi.jpg

Ok, I'm just kidding.

I mean, come on, to use the phone as a "desktop" you need to have the dock, cables, a monitor, a keyboard and a mouse. It's not that convenient. It has the same problem as Windows Continuum.

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

Looks fantastic. If the Apple releases a 7s instead of an 8 this year, I'm probably going to switch.

That being said, I hate that they made the Edge screen standard on the regular model. Unless palm rejection has improved, its going to be a pain in the ass.